Forums

Topic: Does anyone else feel like this gaming generation isn't as good?

Posts 181 to 200 of 246

Punny

Otaku wrote:

YES its all Wanna Play COD MW2 or Marios terrible for looking Cartoony.

Exactly. Also, not that many game developers are taking chances and being imaginitive like in the days of the Super NES and Genesis. It seems like it's taboo to make a game that's not a first-person shooter!

I'm back (for the moment)!

CanisWolfred

romulux wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Gamcecube controller and classic controller are terrible compared to the DS3 and 360 controller.

you're right. this-
Untitled
is incomparable to this-
Untitled

they're the same friggin thing. exact same button layout on all of them. i've used all the current gen controllers and i admit the 360 is probably the most comfortable, but i dislike the ps3 shape and would put the pro or gamecube alike far above it in terms of... everything. but aside from little preferences like handle shape, is there really that much separating them?

weirdadam wrote:

Say what? They specifically said multiple times that the game was inspired by the Wii remote and nunchuk. You can check Iwata Asks.

iwata asks is actually where i read the gamecube thing. it's confusing, but the idea is that they saw the wiimote and knew it would make a great match for the game and that set them to work. that doesn't mean that they used the remote themselves during development though; they used the gamecube controller since they wanted the game to feel faithful to the first.

i guess you could say they approached it as if the controller were the classic way to play while the wiimote was the new and improved option for those who wanted a different experience.

i don't see the point of arguing over whether the wiimote was the intended way to play or not though; how does that change the fact that the wiimote is dominating the scores in ways a controller can't? i was looking at the scores last night and again, i still couldn't see one controller on any page. i myself have used the controller and have never gotten anywhere near my wiimote scores (and i'm not too bad with dual analog), so i know for myself why there isn't one to be found on the boards.

A) The Classic Controller Pro was specifically designed to mimick the Dual Shock. The standard Classic Controller was designed to mimick the SNES controller, and has a different look and feel.
B) Where did you hear that it was designed with the Gamecube Controller in mind? I've never read nor heard that anywhere, and I actually followed the damn game up till release. Source and Quote, or it didn't happen.
C) Because you don't have enough to support that the reason they are there is because of Wiimote controls are superior. All you have is circumstantial evidence that could very well involve a bunch of different factors you haven't even thought of.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

PunnyGuy wrote:

Otaku wrote:

Exactly. Also, not that many game developers are taking chances and being imaginitive like in the days of the Super NES and Genesis. It seems like it's taboo to make a game that's not a first-person shooter!

Or...you could...you know, pay attention to the games that aren't shooters? There are a lot of them. It just seems you haven't noticed them somehow. There aren't anymore shooters this gen than there were last gen. They're just releasing more on consoles instead of leaving them on the PC.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

romulux

i will say this about this generation- it's much harder to just simply make a good game than it was before. the wii has it's problem with the casual market leading to shovelware and terrible 3rd party games while the HD systems have a similar problem with an audience that regard themselves as being too mature to play anything that's not call of duty/mag/battlefield/halo/ect.

if you don't want to play cheap wii sports knock offs or first person shooters you're kind of out of luck. the good news is that when you do find a good game they're really good (galaxy 2 is the highest rated game of all time), which is why i like this generation. you just have to look harder than usual.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Adam

I didn't even know what the argument was, so I wasn't taking sides, just saying that the game was designed specifically for the Wii remote. I know they tested it with the Cube controller, but that doesn't mean they designed it specifically with the Cube controller in mind from the start. They obviously tested all controllers, but the Wii remote is what they started with and what made them want to make the game.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Punny

Mickeymac wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Otaku wrote:

Or...you could...you know, pay attention to the games that aren't shooters? There are a lot of them. It just seems you haven't noticed them somehow. There aren't anymore shooters this gen than there were last gen. They're just releasing more on consoles instead of leaving them on the PC.

I do. I'm just saying that gamers these days just seem to care about games with guns and plastic instruments. Somehow, people who don't play those kinds of games and would rather play something more original are laughed at. I am aware of the large amounts of shooting games from the past, but it seems like a tried and true genre now (in my opinion).

romulux

Mickeymac wrote:

A) The standard Classic Controller was designed to mimick the SNES controller, and has a different look and feel.

doesn't matter. neither version is on the boards.

Mickeymac wrote:

B) Where did you hear that it was designed with the Gamecube Controller in mind? Source and Quote, or it didn't happen.

"Nakagawa: ...this time as well, the development staff consists largely of hard-core gamers. They'd mostly been developing for the Nintendo GameCube controller, which they're most used to, not the Wii Remote controller.

Nakagawa: (nintendo) said, "The enemy gets wiped out in no time." When I said, "But it's supposed to be really difficult," they said, "Fans will never approve of something so easy."

Iwata: We said that? To Treasure?

Nakagawa: Right. It turns out that with the Wii Remote it's easier to aim, so you totally clean house."

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/sinandpunishment/vol1_page5.jsp

end of that argument.

Mickeymac wrote:

C) All you have is circumstantial evidence that could very well involve a bunch of different factors you haven't even thought of.

this isn't rocket science. if people are buying a hardcore game like this, odds are they have at least one controller lying around, odds are they're tried using it, odds are they'd want to upload their scores just the same as a wiimote user... so, if not because of higher wiimote scores, why isn't one controller on the list?

i'm telling you, i've tried this myself. the controller just isn't capable of competing because of the clumsier speed of the reticule. i still had fun playing with the pro and it felt really good in fact, but not as good as the remote.

Edited on by romulux

CanisWolfred

romulux wrote:

i will say this about this generation- it's much harder to just simply make a good game than it was before. the wii has it's problem with the casual market leading to shovelware and terrible 3rd party games while the HD systems have a similar problem with an audience that regard themselves as being too mature to play anything that's not call of duty/mag/battlefield/halo/ect.

if you don't want to play cheap wii sports knock offs or first person shooters you're kind of out of luck. the good news is that when you do find a good game they're really good (galaxy 2 is the highest rated game of all time), which is why i like this generation. you just have to look harder than usual.

On the Wii, that is true. However, that's not true for HD consoles. Just because there are 2 or 3 really popular shooters, people immediately think that's all there is in the G-ddamn system. That's blatant ignorance. Even most of the big-name stuff that Sony and Microsoft advertise constantly have nothing to do with shooters. Yeah, there's still the really obscure stuff, but even still, you don't have to look hard to find a good non-FPS. You just have to look, PERIOD.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

PunnyGuy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Otaku wrote:

I do. I'm just saying that gamers these days just seem to care about games with guns and plastic instruments. Somehow, people who don't play those kinds of games and would rather play something more original are laughed at. I am aware of the large amounts of shooting games from the past, but it seems like a tried and true genre now (in my opinion).

Ah, you mean the people who laugh at those who play a game because it has color. Those dolts are just as ignorant as the other group I was frothing about. Those so-called gamers aren't worth even acknowledging, though I will admit you're right about them being a majority. It seems ignorance is bliss to all but the people they are ignorant towards.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TLOZfreak

if you're a multiconsole owner this is generation has been awesome!

TLOZfreak

CanisWolfred

romulux wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

A) The standard Classic Controller was designed to mimick the SNES controller, and has a different look and feel.

doesn't matter. neither version is on the boards.

Mickeymac wrote:

B) Where did you hear that it was designed with the Gamecube Controller in mind? Source and Quote, or it didn't happen.

"Nakagawa: ...this time as well, the development staff consists largely of hard-core gamers. They'd mostly been developing for the Nintendo GameCube controller, which they're most used to, not the Wii Remote controller.

Nakagawa: (nintendo) said, "The enemy gets wiped out in no time." When I said, "But it's supposed to be really difficult," they said, "Fans will never approve of something so easy."

Iwata: We said that? To Treasure?

Nakagawa: Right. It turns out that with the Wii Remote it's easier to aim, so you totally clean house."

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/sinandpunishment/vol1_page5.jsp

end of that argument.

Mickeymac wrote:

C) All you have is circumstantial evidence that could very well involve a bunch of different factors you haven't even thought of.

this isn't rocket science. if people are buying a hardcore game like this, odds are they have at least one controller lying around, odds are they're tried using it, odds are they'd want to upload their scores just the same as a wiimote user... so, if not because of higher wiimote scores, why isn't one controller on the list?

i'm telling you, i've tried this myself. the controller just isn't capable of competing because of the clumsier speed of the reticule. i still had fun playing with the pro and it felt really good in fact, but not as good as the remote.

Then I stand corrected. That's all I wanted to hear. Just a suggestion, Next time you might want to present your evidence right off the bat so smartalacks like me won't have anything to argue about.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

romulux

Mickeymac wrote:

Just because there are 2 or 3 really popular shooters, people immediately think that's all there is in the G-ddamn system. That's blatant ignorance.

it's a little more than two or three. i'm aware of a few good non-shooters, but my point is that you can probably find a FPS on the HD systems for every piece of crap 3rd party game there is on wii. i think it's safe to say every system has a problem with balance in it's library this time around.

the shooting thing isn't the only problem i think the HD systems have. the visual power seems to have pushed most developers to try to make the most realistic games they can, making every game look the same. resident evil 5 and dead space are a few good examples of games that have a unique look, and re5 isn't even that interesting; most people think 4 was better.

the wii ironically enough has the best looking games of this generation to me, since developers pretty much can't do the reality thing and have to come up with something more artistic. muramasa is the best looking one i've seen this gen, and skyward sword looks to be another stunner.

Edited on by romulux

Punny

Mickeymac wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Otaku wrote:

Ah, you mean the people who laugh at those who play a game because it has color. Those dolts are just as ignorant as the other group I was frothing about. Those so-called gamers aren't worth even acknowledging, though I will admit you're right about them being a majority. It seems ignorance is bliss to all but the people they are ignorant towards.

My apologies for mentioning the "true gamers."

theblackdragon

@Mickeymac: or, perhaps you could give people the benefit of the doubt and simply request source/links next time (or hey, do a quick Google search) instead of getting argumentative right off the bat? :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

theblackdragon wrote:

@Mickeymac: or, perhaps you could give people the benefit of the doubt and simply request source/links next time (or hey, do a quick Google search) instead of getting argumentative right off the bat? :3

Eh....yeah, or that. Ehehe...

Wait, why am I ashamed? I did what I did and no harm came of it, so why should I feel shame or remorse?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

romulux wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Just because there are 2 or 3 really popular shooters, people immediately think that's all there is in the G-ddamn system. That's blatant ignorance.

it's a little more than two or three. i'm aware of a few good non-shooters, but my point is that you can probably find a FPS on the HD systems for every piece of crap 3rd party game there is on wii. i think it's safe to say every system has a problem with balance in it's library this time around.

the shooting thing isn't the only problem i think the HD systems have. the visual power seems to have pushed most developers to try to make the most realistic games they can, making every game look the same. resident evil 5 and dead space are a few good examples of games that have a unique look, and re5 isn't even that interesting; most people think 4 was better.

the wii ironically enough has the best looking games of this generation to me, since developers pretty much can't do the reality thing and have to come up with something more artistic. muramasa is the best looking one i've seen this gen, and skyward sword looks to be another stunner.

Eh, that's debatable. It's all comes down to the artstyle and whether it works with the game, though I'll admit that's a point many developers seem to miss on all consoles. Even realistic graphics tend to look pretty good if the game is trying to be realistic, i.e. Moderrn Warfare, but don't work for a game like Oh, Mercenaries 2, where they're trying to be as over the top as possible. The biggest problem is when developers over use the whole brown and grey color scheme in the hopes that it'll make it more realistic. (IT DOESN'T!) The Wii has more stylized graphics instead of realistic graphics, just as you said, that style works for some games (Mario Galaxy, de Blob, Red Steel, etc.), other games just end up looking lame and generic, or like something ripped from a kids cartoon (Spyborgs, Spectrobes). It all comes down to both excecution and taste, and personally, I feel its been pretty hit or miss across all consoles. As far as visuals go, Iprefer last gen, where stylized graphics was "In", rather than "an excuse". It seemed like more games got it right then.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SilverBaretta

I feel as if this gaming generation is the worst for fanboyism, but as far as the games go, they're still pretty great. I think we can all agree that after last gen, the industry needed to mix things up a bit. Each company accomplished that in it's own way, and are all great for their own reasons. Nintendo mixed it up with their original new control style and accessibility, Sony mixed it up with their "more than just for games" approach, and Microsoft mixed it up with their incredibly in-depth online services. Last generation was played too safe, but this is the most original generation after that, and that is the reason this generation is to be commended. I will say, while I enjoyed previous generations more, even the Gamecube, which is probably my second favorite console of all time, this generation still is great because everyone decided to take things to the next level, whether it is in gameplay, hardware, or anything else. Video gaming is a medium that is always evolving, it's whether or not you accept the evolution that determines your satisfaction.

Edited on by SilverBaretta

I'm pretty sure I think I'm funnier than I really am.
10 Years of Kingdom Hearts
3DS Friend Code: 0301-9785-9580
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStormGaming]Watch me and my friends play games! Now with better visual qualit...

AlexSays

The sensitivity of the analog sticks on the classic controller is nowhere near as user-friendly, or precise, as of on the PS3 or 360 controller.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

outrun2sp

Zelda TP, Res evil 4 and Metroid prime were all designed with the GC controler in mind and are all GC games for arguments sake.

There arent many games on WII that are better then these games even now.

Dont think any of the motion control games such as WII sports resort / wii music / wii fit surpass these games.

Goes to show that the GC was a fine system and im glad that the WII still plays GC games.

I see the WII as an upgrade to the GC not a successor.

Edited on by outrun2sp

F Zero GX fan forever

SeniorDingDong

Personally, I think one of the best gaming eras was from 1997-1999:

The N64 kicked in with Super Mario 64, OoT, Smash Bros, Goldey Eye, Turok...
The GameBoy got a second spring with the release of Pokemon Red/Blue...
The PC was INSANELY strong back then with games like half-life, Star Craft, UT99, Quake 3, Age of Empires 2, Conflict Freespace, Anno 1602, Peoples- and Panzer General...
PSO got Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2...
And dont forget all the other stuff like the fresh Dreamcast !

For this generation, I got VERY sick about that Halo3-Gamestop-UnrealEngine-GuitarHero-MountainDew bullcrap thats going on right now. In 1990 as a kid, or around 1997-2000 I could say "I am a gamer". Now I feel alienated by what the current gamer image seems to be.

I almost feel a little bit isolated when "everyone" goes nuts for Modern Warefare 2 and Killzone 2, while I am enjoying (the far superior ) Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii.

My theory seems proven by having some heavy retro feelings for the first time. Something that could have only be cured by buying an SNES+Super GameBoy and a Commodre 64.

Edited on by SeniorDingDong

SeniorDingDong

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.