Forums

Topic: Does anyone else feel like this gaming generation isn't as good?

Posts 161 to 180 of 246

Marzipaz

I like current games. Not only are the graphics great but some are just brilliant. But I feel good things will come in the next generation. (though it may be short what with holaqraphic technology as it is.)

Lets take his leather pants.

CanisWolfred

WaveBoy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

romulux wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption may be my favorite game, but to this day I still feel it could've been just as good with the controls from Metroid Prime 1 on the Gamecube. Whats the point of having pointer controls if you lock onto everything anyways?

that's only if you turn off free aiming, which few people do. normally the lock just fixes the camera (not the cursor) on an enemy so you can aim easier.

I never touched an of the settings. Yet all I had to do was hold the Z button and keep the pointer straight. I never missed.

Woa woa, so you NEVER went to the options and set the controls to 'advance'? Dude...When it's set on normal the controls aren't too great, set them to advance and they're absolutely incredible.

I did set them to advanced, though I have to admit, it just made the camera move more, which was more disorienting than helpful.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

J_K

Ugh I'll never understand why people could tolerate let alone enjoy the controls of Metroid Prime 1and2 where they gave the enemy pirates 'quake bot' freedom to run and strafe around unloading ammo on your , yet to be able to return the favor you had to stand there and get shot up when using a combo of like R and Z to aim then lock the cursor on someone before it was a fair fight. It caused me to never play Prime2 and to sell Prime once quitting half in, and then stopping on it a 2nd time at the Omega Pirate as i couldn't deal with the bs in that arena. Prime3 having many similar type issues with the areas enemy wise were a fun battle with real aiming and movement not gimped by a stupid idea of wasting a c-stick on visor flip play.

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

outrun2sp

This gaming generation is the worst one Ive seen. Reasons.

1. Motion controls are not the way forward with gaming and are ruining the core game experience. The WII had this in moderation as only 10 good motion control games exist roughly. Kinnect and PSMove look evil.
2. Everything in this console generation has to be a media centre now with a hard drive. WHY???.
3. Heavy Emphasis on online play. 2 years down the line when the online community dies the game dies as single player experience is not as well made. ie effort put into it.
4. Casual Market has infected the gaming community too much now and allot of poor games are being produced.
5. Games these days are too much trying to be like Michael Bay movies as production values are increased to appease the hype / casual players love this. Games like Shemue 3 cant compete with this so dont end up getting made.
6. The great developers of the golden generation 88 - 2005 have become old and stopped producing /developing.

Sad times and the reason why im getting more retro purchases and Gamecube / dreamcast games.

F Zero GX fan forever

ItsFuzzyPickles

Well this was an interesting read.

To answer the question, no, I don't think this is the worst generation of gaming. The Wii is a very good system and I think the Playstation 3 will be great as well. Compared that to last gen when I thought while the Playstation 2 was excellent, it was the only console I could consider good (The Gamecube was okay, but disappointing and the Xbox was medicore).

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

In regards to the worst generation ever, let me just say that this gen doesn't even come close. That title shall always belong to the awkward 32-bit Gen that everyone tries to forget about. The era of craptastic Pre-Mario 64 3D games and shamefully built consoles loaded with shovelware. This generation may be a disappointment compared to the last, but you couldn't really expect that gravy train to just keep trucking forever. If nothing else, its good enough.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

romulux

not to interrupt this nice peace and quiet by restarting an argument, but after a few weeks with sin and punishment 2 i've noticed something; not one of the high scores on the leaderboard was earned using a controller. (you can see what controller was used next to every score). i've checked almost every page and neither the gamecube controller or classic controller make an appearance even in the lowest ranks.

considering that sin and punishment 2 is by far the most testing game i've ever played when it comes to shooting, i'd say that's as close as you can get to objective proof that the wii remote is better; it's literally not possible to obtain scores that high with a controller.

if you prefer a controller there's no arguing you off of it, but even if you're more comfortable with joysticks i think the wiimote deserves some respect and credit for expanding what shooting games can be. shooting games are much more fun to me this generation than ever because of the wiimote, so how's that for a pointless gimmick?

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

brooks83

That's hardly "objective" proof. Maybe the people who got the high scores didn't have didn't have access to a Gamecube or classic controller? I do agree that certain genres benefit from having motion controls, shooters in particular, but in other genres (fighting games for example) I would prefer a standard controller. I love the Wii, but I'm gonna have to say that motion controls are more gimmick than revolution.

brooks83

mecoy

i think it goes like this
7 first (i hate those graphics)
6 second (name one big name game)
5 third (only nes was good not great or outstanding)
4 fifth (i like the n64 and ps1 was okay)
3 sixth (the ps2 is THAT good so was melee but the g-cube was awful! and that halo system wasnt good either and the what cast?)
2 forth (i love the snes and the genesis was good what geo? and the turbo had bonk i guess)
1 this one (i LOVE THE WII and its shop channel + the shooter system is pretty good)

mecoy

brooks83

Personally I don't think the sword fighting defined the Zelda games, therefore I have no problem pushing the A button to swing the sword. Should we use a sensor to register that we actually jump up and down when jumping on a Goomba in a Mario game? That would make you "feel" more like Mario, right? I will give you the fact that the Wiimote works great on first person shooter games, but for most other genres it just doesn't feel right.

brooks83

romulux

i forgot to mention one of my favorite things about this generation, the 2D renaissance. the n64 pushed everything into 3D and killed 2D off, then the 128 bit era was spent refining 3D games to look convincingly real for the first time, and now that 3D has finished evolving we have lots of games going back to 2D, as if people didn't realize 3D wasn't necessarily more fun until they finally got it working right.

whatever the reason, we've got full 2D games like nsmbw, cave story, donkey kong country returns, muramasa, shadow complex ect., coming out left and right, as well as hybrid 2D/3D games like mario galaxy, other m, and sin and punishment 2 (and even metroid prime and the original sin and punishment before them) that blend 2D segments into 3D worlds.

i think that's my favorite thing about this generation, that game designers finally learned that you don't have to make games in 3D, and that you don't even have choose between 2D and 3D within the same game.

brooks83 wrote:

Maybe the people who got the high scores didn't have didn't have access to a Gamecube or classic controller?

there are 30 scores on each page, with separate pages for each level (there are 8), then for each difficulty (low, medium, high), and each character (four choices). so, just for a single level in the game you have 12 different scoreboards to look at with a total of 360 players displayed. for the entire game, there are at least 3, 240 scores listed across over 100 different pages.

so... not one of those people has a controller?

brooks83 wrote:

I have no problem pushing the A button to swing the sword. Should we use a sensor to register that we actually jump up and down when jumping on a Goomba in a Mario game? That would make you "feel" more like Mario, right?

the wii remote may be about motion first, but it's still embracing retro control methods at the same time; it was designed to work as an NES controller after all. aside from a few bits of motion nsmbw controlled just like the old games, demonstrating that nintendo knows what needs reinvention and what doesn't, so it's never been said by them or anyone else that every game across the board needs genre re-defining controls. it's just that for some games motion feels like a natural inclusion, and i'd consider zelda one of them.

twilight princess was a bad motion example; i think most people would also just want to push a button to swing at some point. that said, there's a big difference between the gimmicky "shake the remote to do what a button could" of that game and the 1:1 controls in the new one; swinging what feels like a real sword around is something totally beyond than what a normal controller can do and i really doubt people will be saying they'd rather press a button still after playing this one.

miyamoto said that after playing the new zelda you'll never press a button to swing a sword again without feeling like something's missing, and i already have that feeling after playing red steel 2 and sports resort.

Edited on by romulux

The_Fox

Considering the absurdity this thread devolved into earlier I'll probably regret posting, but that example with S&P2 doesn't really prove anything other than the fact that the game was programmed with the Wiimote in mind. Of course other control methods will be less efficient in that case. I can play through Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast with a fishing rod controller, but that doesn't it was meant for the game.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

romulux

The+Fox wrote:

that example with S&P2 doesn't really prove anything other than the fact that the game was programmed with the Wiimote in mind.

it wasn't. as i said earlier, the core game was based around the gamecube controller. besides, even if it were the case that the wiimote dominated only because the game was designed to use it, doesn't that still demonstrate how much it can do that a controller can't? if a controller were as good, wouldn't you be able to hit all the same things regardless?

i'm pretty sure you'd see the exact same thing in the mercenaries mode of resident evil 4 if it had online leaderboards. it's my own personal experience that every single game that lets you choose between the wiimote or controller without exception plays much better with the wiimote, regardless of what system or controller it was originally designed for.

The_Fox

romulux wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

that example with S&P2 doesn't really prove anything other than the fact that the game was programmed with the Wiimote in mind.

it wasn't. as i said earlier, the core game was based around the gamecube controller. besides, even if it were the case that the wiimote dominated only because the game was designed to use it, doesn't that still demonstrate how much it can do that a controller can't? if a controller were as good, wouldn't you be able to hit all the same things regardless?

Not really. If it is true that the game was based around the Gamecube controller (which would be quite strange for a Wii title), it shows what happens when you shoehorn in another controller option. (the Wiimote for S&P2 in this case)

As an example, what if you made a platformer built for the Wiimote requiring you to flick the remote to jump and wiggle it to dash then added classic controller support with those actions mapped to buttons? The results would no doubt be similar. Speedruns would be dominated by the classic controller, as it would prove superior to the Wiimote.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AlexSays

Gamcecube controller and classic controller are terrible compared to the DS3 and 360 controller.

That's not evidence at all.

And dual-analog is a gimmick now? Surprisingly not even one of the most ridiculous things to have come out of this thread.

AlexSays

Adam

romulux wrote:

it wasn't. as i said earlier, the core game was based around the gamecube controller.

Say what? They specifically said multiple times that the game was inspired by the Wii remote and nunchuk. The remote is what made them want to do the game. You can check Iwata Asks.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Hokori

YES its all Wanna Play COD MW2 or Marios terrible for looking Cartoony.

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

KanrakusPizza

2 words. Lego Universe.

i WUV lego

wont be on here anymore

HanuKwanzMasBif

This past year is my first major one for gaming, and it has been great. Maybe it's because I'm strictly Nintendo(system, I'm hooked on a certain recent Level 5 and Square Enix RPG, so I'm not Nintendo game only)-only, and E3 2010 was awesome. But still, when I grab the GCN controller and sit down to play Ocarina, I enjoy it thoroughly.

romulux

AlexSays wrote:

Gamcecube controller and classic controller are terrible compared to the DS3 and 360 controller.

you're right. this-
Untitled
is incomparable to this-
Untitled

they're the same friggin thing. exact same button layout on all of them. i've used all the current gen controllers and i admit the 360 is probably the most comfortable, but the pro is behind it just by a hair. i also dislike the ps3 shape and would put the pro or gamecube alike above it in terms of... everything. but aside from little preferences like handle shape, is there really that much separating them?

weirdadam wrote:

Say what? They specifically said multiple times that the game was inspired by the Wii remote and nunchuk. You can check Iwata Asks.

iwata asks is actually where i read the gamecube thing. it's confusing, but the idea is that they saw the wiimote and knew it would make a great match for the game and that set them to work. that doesn't mean that they used the remote themselves during development though; they used the gamecube controller since they wanted the game to feel faithful to the first.

i guess you could say they approached it as if the controller were the classic way to play while the wiimote was the new and improved option for those who wanted a different experience that took advantage of IR controls.

i don't see the point of arguing over whether the wiimote was the intended way to play or not; how does that change the fact that the wiimote is dominating the scores? i was looking at the leader boards last night and again, i still couldn't see one controller on any page. i myself have used the controller and have never gotten anywhere near my wiimote scores (and i'm not too bad with dual analog), so i know for myself why there isn't one to be found.

seriously, have any of you arguing against the remote tried it side by side with a controller in any of the games that allow it?

Edited on by romulux

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.