Forums

Topic: Does anyone else feel like this gaming generation isn't as good?

Posts 121 to 140 of 246

CanisWolfred

@Waveboy

First off, bravo for the spiritted explaination as to why you think the Wii is the best there is. I respect someone who can poor there heart out for the thing they loved the most. Secondly, while I strongly disagree about the motion controls being the greatest advancement in video game history (and I could go on all day about how much it isn't), I do respect your opinion, and if that's your main reason for why the Wii is the greatest console ever, its as good as any. I guess I'd forgotten that there are still many people who go for that sort of thing, I do apologize.

Also, I'll agree that most of those games you listed are indeed great, among others on the Wii that you didn't mention. Its just that, in my opinion, none of them are as good as the myriad of classics that appeared on the consoles of old, especially last gen. Honestly, I was most interested in hearing what games you played last gen that you felt was disappointing in comparison, particularly on the PS2, which I personally consider the best console ever made, with the greatest library of games there ever was( followed closely by the other 3 consoles from that era). Really, its a clash of opposite opinions, to be honest.

Plus, you're honestly the only person I've ever known who has played games from every generation that can say the Wii is the greatest console in the history of gaming with a straight face. No joke. I'm not kidding. Even people who love the Wii refuse to say its the best ever. You're the first, and you've gotten me very curious.

Also, I must ask, as its more relevent to this topic than anything else: why do you think motion control is such a great advancement?

StarFox wrote:

Until the PS2 and Xbox, video games were all about graphics and features. Now, it's all about media, what your system can do besides play video games. It's sad, really. The golden age of video games: 1985-2001.

I'm still waiting for you to elaborate on that statement, because last I checked, media was only a feature - an additional selling point - which is used to move more consoles so they can increase their install base, thus convincing more developers to develop more games for their system, by making their console more attractive to certain kind of individual who might find that appealing without detracting from the gaming side of the console, especially since most consoles used that type of media in order to play the freakin' games. In other words, I really can't understand where you're coming from with that. Please elaborate, so we can all understand it!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlexSays

If the Wii is the greatest console ever made, my name isn't really Alex.

Saying it's best this gen in anything other than sales is a bit of a stretch. I don't think I've ever wanted so few games for a Nintendo system.

Anyway, it's not that this gen isn't as good, there's a lot to offer when it comes to games. The focus has shifted though to online games and multimedia features. Most people that grew up with something else are inclined to say 'Bah things were good back in my day'.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Modern_Legend

This gen is fantastic for games, however this gen is starting to miss something a lot of older gen games had...offline multiplayer. Sure online is sweet and definitely is taking priority, but still many people lack internet and many people have nearby friends or siblings they could play with offline... however no one seems to care anymore for the living room night gamers...

PSN ID: MixedMajik
Wii Number - 5995 0961 9020 5722 SSBB - 1504 5385 8344 Mario Kart Wii - 5327 1326 6518 Bomberman Blast 5370 8314 4869 Water Warfare 5327 9207 9563 http://www.nintendoli...

romulux

AlexSays wrote:

Saying it's best this gen in anything other than sales is a bit of a stretch. I don't think I've ever wanted so few games for a Nintendo system.

i feel the opposite. i grew up with every system but for whatever reason stopped playing during the n64 days (after getting all the zelda and goldeneye out of my system that is); i never even considered buying the gamecube.

the wii was interesting enough to bring me back in and i now own 14 games for it; i have never had that many for one system and i don't know if i'll ever buy that many again, and every one of them is a game i love (muramasa might be my favorite). waveboy listed most of them, but i'd add red steel 2 and okami to the list.

that's not even including the rest of this year's lineup of donkey kong, conduit 2, metroid, and zelda, all of which will likely be added to the pile. how can you not be impressed with that selection? you really do have to go back to the snes era to find so many great quality games on one system.

the wii lets you play your favorite retro games with a good selection of controllers and better visuals than ever before on the virtual console, and you can play nearly every good gamecube game with improved wii controls by now, so it encompasses everything the other systems could do but does it better while still offering entirely new things of its own. i don't think it's a stretch to say it's the best nintendo...

Rift wrote:

If it was all about graphics, why did Sega stop making consoles? Their graphics were always better than Nintendo's.

definitely not the genesis. the snes makes it look like a dull, blotchy piece of crap.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Mono05

I'm love this gaming generation and Wii has one of the best system of this generation. They have so many good games as Waveboy put and they always make gaming fun . It's funny when a system can get almost anyone to play it. I have never seen my grandfather play any system. But put on Wii Blowing and the man will work you. I have a lot of get togethers at my house and the Wii is always on and people just love it. I put on my PS3 and they love the graphics. But only the Teen's want to play it and the guys want to play madden. I'm just saying Nintendo hit it out the park with this system and I can only hope there next system will top this one. I love my PS3 as well and love God of War 3. But there is something about how the Wii just pulls people of all generations into it. Maybe the Move will do that for the PS3. Here's Hoping.

Wii FC:5191-5381-0878-4626
Mario Kart Wii FC:3352-6384-5091
Tetris Party Deluxe FC: 090465065880
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11: Moe0521
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom FC: 1935-2104-2320

motang

This generation seems like that me also but only a little. But doesn't mean that there aren't an gems. I there quite a few games that I loved and have throughly enjoyed them.

NIN10DO

Twitter:

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

Too elaborate:

1. 1985-2001 was the graphics wars (Genesis does what Nintendon't, 32X vs Super FX, all the way to the Dreamcast)
2. The Xbox and PS2 were the first systems to support DVDs and audio CDs (although the Dreamcast was the first to support internet, but it was still experimental)
3. Since the 128-bit era, Sony has lost Crash and Spyro as exclusive franchises. They were Sony's best exclusives.
4. Today's handhelds are trying to be like the iPod, whereas all handhelds before them were just portable game systems
5. Because of all these media features, video games have declined in quality save for Nintendo

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

JGMR

StarFox wrote:

3. Since the 128-bit era, Sony has lost Crash and Spyro as exclusive franchises. They were Sony's best exclusives.

Well...i really enjoyed the Ico-team games thus far, they were and still are Sony-exclusives. And i think that's a good thing. Also Gran Turismo 1 to 3 were favourites

With kind regards,

JGMR

J_K

Mickeymac wrote:

@Waveboy

First off, bravo for the spiritted explaination as to why you think the Wii is the best there is. I respect someone who can poor there heart out for the thing they loved the most. Secondly, while I strongly disagree about the motion controls being the greatest advancement in video game history (and I could go on all day about how much it isn't), I do respect your opinion, and if that's your main reason for why the Wii is the greatest console ever, its as good as any. I guess I'd forgotten that there are still many people who go for that sort of thing, I do apologize.

Also, I'll agree that most of those games you listed are indeed great, among others on the Wii that you didn't mention. Its just that, in my opinion, none of them are as good as the myriad of classics that appeared on the consoles of old, especially last gen. Honestly, I was most interested in hearing what games you played last gen that you felt was disappointing in comparison, particularly on the PS2, which I personally consider the best console ever made, with the greatest library of games there ever was( followed closely by the other 3 consoles from that era). Really, its a clash of opposite opinions, to be honest.

Plus, you're honestly the only person I've ever known who has played games from every generation that can say the Wii is the greatest console in the history of gaming with a straight face. No joke. I'm not kidding. Even people who love the Wii refuse to say its the best ever. You're the first, and you've gotten me very curious.

Also, I must ask, as its more relevent to this topic than anything else: why do you think motion control is such a great advancement?

Damn beat me to it big time. Motion controls are a new thing and they're awesome, they really are, and in some games they make a world of difference, he's right. The convenient thing he's not hitting upon though you will agree with is the fact most the times the controls are blatantly halfassed and barely functional at times between doing the wrong thing, lagging up a second or two, or not doing it at all. For all the flight games, it took 3 1/2 years and Ace Combat team with Sky Crawlers to get that right, took a good year or so for MOH2 to pop up where 3rd parties actually got FPS aim/shoot mechanics working right and unlagged. Other things still dont' work so hot or get sketchy, others do, but usually it's the first party efforts in most case that nail them showing more that laziness I hit upon. He's right wii is great for what it can do, but, that's only when the company bothers to do it right otherwise it's an atrocity. Of all the systems from Nintendo I've ever had Wii due to mostly third party dimwit behavior has been my worst because they've shoveled up so much turd on a disc my trust in a Nintendo third party game is shattered to where I just don't buy third party nearly at all anymore, and probably when I do it would be used so I can return it if its more suck than success. GC really had it made, it was the best Nintendo and third party effort given since the SNES era bar none. Poor Wii handling and for a stretch poor DS handling made me go back into being a multi-console person when I had sworn off it for good, so that says a lot.

Edited on by J_K

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

AlexSays

romulux wrote:

that's not even including the rest of this year's lineup of donkey kong, conduit 2, metroid, and zelda, all of which will likely be added to the pile. how can you not be impressed with that selection? you really do have to go back to the snes era to find so many great quality games on one system.

You add Conduit 2 and ask me how I'm not impressed with that list?

My posting history speaks for itself. lol

I'm not a big fan of Zelda, Metroid, and a lot of other popular franchises though, so I'm much less enthused by many Wii titles.

AlexSays

AlexSays

romulux wrote:

the wii lets you play your favorite retro games with a good selection of controllers and better visuals than ever before on the virtual console, and you can play nearly every good gamecube game with improved wii controls by now, so it encompasses everything the other systems could do but does it better while still offering entirely new things of its own. i don't think it's a stretch to say it's the best nintendo...

lolwat?

The VC games look the exact same, 'cept for a select couple.

And there were like five Gamecube games given Wii controls, and only two games benefited.

Where are you seeing all these graphically advanced VC titles and control enhanced Gamecube games?

That's also a lousy argument for it being the best. It's the best this gen cause it plays a bunch of old games? Great, the PC is the best thing ever (which actually isn't too far off). lol

AlexSays

grenworthshero

That's why I'm saying I don't like the Wii as much as I should. A large part of the argument many people have been making on here is that you can play retro games on the Wii, and that's awesome. So...the Wii is better than past generations because you can play past generations' games? That doesn't make sense to me. Sure it's nice to be able to access all the games you love on a new system, but the fact remains that you're playing old games. The games of today just haven't lived up to that standard, in my opinion. And no, again, it's not being blinded by nostalgia; I realize there are some great games that have come out recently, and are still to come, but so far. very few have made me enjoy gaming as much as I did when I played games for the GCN, N64, and SNES (I never owned a NES until fairly recently so I kind of missed out on that one). The Wii is a great console, with some great games, but in most cases, I don't feel like I want to go back and replay them again and again like I did with some older games. I spent a good portion of my life playing the crap out of Super Mario World, Stunt Race FX, Rush 2/Rush 2049, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil 4, WindWaker...sure there were a lot of "meh" games in between, but there were a considerable amount of games -- like these -- that became classics. I have yet to see anything like that on the Wii. Of course, that's just my opinion, because I know a lot of people liked SMG or SSBB or [insert game title here] a lot, while I thought it was just alright

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AlexSays

If I plug in my N64 or SNES, the games look identical.

You could switch them on me and if I was just looking at the screen, I'd be unable to tell the difference.

Anyways, using a very, very minimal graphical upgrade, if one at all, to 10 year old games still doesn't support the Wii being the best console this gen. An overwhelming majority still prefers NEW games (crazy idea here on NintendoLife).

And I still have no idea where he got the Gamecube thing from. Unless he meant that a lot of Wii games are just better versions of Gamecube games, and in that case the Wii is basically a console used to port old games and make them slightly better, woo!

AlexSays

JGMR

They do look better to most of us who weren't fortunate enough back in the day when most televisions were merely equipped with Composite & RF-video connections. Not to mention the fact that the consoles themselves weren't equipped and built with with an RGB-connection themselves, until the Gamecube

The games absolutely look great, and better on the Progressive scanning HDTV's nowadays...

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

brooks83

Don't get me wrong, I do love the Wii, but it is not the best console this gen. To be perfectly honest, I could care less about motion controls. There are some games that benefit from them, but overall I feel it's just gimmicky. I think that Nintendo needed something new if they were gonna survive the next generation of gaming, so they threw a hail mary out there (the Wiimote), and luckily it worked. I really am happy for Nintendo that they are back on top. But really, I don't need motion controls.

Also, claiming it's the best because of the VC and Gamecube backwards compatibility isn't gonna fly. It's awesome that you can play them all on one system, but those games were not developed for the Wii. They were just thrown on to the VC with hardly any effort involved (other than Sega, they have done great with their VC games.) I really see no reason why Nintendo could not have allowed online multiplayer with the games. It would not have been difficult to connect two Wiis and trick the rom into thinking that it is local multiplayer, I have seen people do that with roms on the PC. And that also would not drastically change the game from it's original form. Anyways, I'm ranting, I will leave it at that lol. In short: Wii is awesome, but not the best of this generation.

brooks83

AlexSays

Just a quick note:

Some of us will never prefer IR for FPS games. If I want accuracy, the only thing better than a controller is a keyboard and mouse.

Bioshock and friends wouldn't definitely be 'better' with IR. It comes down to preference, like most things, and I'll take the quick availability of all my buttons and the precision of moving with dual analog over IR any day.

Besides,if Call of Duty online could be played cross-platform, I'd kick your alls booty with my PS3 controller. I don't care how fast and accurate you believe IR is.

AlexSays

AlexSays

Well I use my nice TV for my HD console so that might have something to do with it.

Never bothered to plug my Wii and N64 into my HDTV to see how much more vibrant the colors are in my SNES games.

AlexSays

AlexSays

I have component cables for my Wii but I've already said I don't use the Wii on my HDTV.

Control wise, if you think Wii remote realistically imitates a real weapon (which I didn't believe was the goal of the Wii remote..) then it's clear we have very different view points.

For me, aiming is just as quick and accurate with dual analog and KB+M, and moving while aiming is significantly more accurate. Add that to the quick availability of all sorts of buttons, and I can't sit down with the Wii and seriously play FPS games.

The most I've used the IR is with Medal of Honor, and I believe I played off and on for a couple weeks before trading it in and going back to Call of Duty on the PS3.

So it's definitely personal preference. No control method imitates firing a real weapon though. It seems a bit silly to even want that when imitating realism would sacrifice quickness and accuracy, which is suppose to be the goal of a good control method.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

madgear

I just have to butt in here and say the Wii is my favourite console of all time too. I think all the titles I own for it are fantastic and some have even become some of my favourite games of all time (Shattered Memories, Galaxy, Prime Trilogy etc). On top of that I can still play all my GameCube titles and then there's the Virtual Console meaning I can also releave most of my fondest gaming memories.

I think you can say it's not the best console of all time for this reason, or that reason, but it wont change anything in my case. To me it's the perfect machine and saying how third parties treat it, lack of decent online and how the retro part of it doesn't count is irrelevant. It simply does everything I want it to do in a console, I love the new releases I choose to buy and it's the most fun I've had playing games since ... ever.

madgear

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.