Forums

Topic: Does anyone else feel like this gaming generation isn't as good?

Posts 101 to 120 of 246

Ristar42

The C64 sounded way better than both the NES and the Master-system... didn't look as nice though.

Ristar42

turtlelink

This question is kinda hard for me. I think the Game Cube and Wii are some of the best consoles ever!

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

CanisWolfred

@Starfox

Uh, the Playstation 1 was also a CD player, and yes, it was a selling point. I remember my PSOne was my CD player for years, just like how PS2 and Xbox 360 are my DVD players, and my PSP is my MP3 player. Even the Wii is my web browser on occasion. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with multi-functionality. It's just adds convenience while still including the things that you bought the damn thing for: playing games. Seriously, name one way that having additional features makes the system worse in any way.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Master_Mario

I preferred the SNES generation over the NES. You can't go wrong with Super Mario World and AllStars, A Link to the past, Super Metroid, Kirby SuperStar, Super Mario RPG, and Starfox. Even a good chunk of the Disney games were enjoyable.

But the N64 generation is my favorite generation. With Zelda games and Mario games that are excellent as usual, and the support of Rare, Nintendo churned out some mean games. Plus, it had Starfox 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Paper Mario! <3

Master_Mario

Ristar42

The C64 sounded awful? What about the Last Ninja, the Ocean loader theme, Platoon (just compare the NES music on this game), Creatures 2...

Best generation for me was the 16-Bit era, though I did really like the Saturn as was the first home console that ran Outrun arcade perfect.

Edited on by Ristar42

Ristar42

crystalyoshi

I don't know why, but sometimes years ago, when I played Yoshi's Island on SNES and I was fighting against Burt the Bashfull (or somthing) my heart was breaking like crazy even after 5 minutes beating it or dying (usually I died). But it never happens when playing N64, DS, or other newer consoles. It was fun. Games were challenging. But no more. Wii games are too easy. For some reason I like 16-bit games more. 'Em are amazing. (well, Super Mario World is actually kinda lame)
Super Mario RPG - Awesome graphics, great characters, great plot, great world, truly amazing soundtrack
Yoshi's Island - awesome graphics, music (again) , it's just so fun!
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 & 3 - All are great games with good gameplay, graphics & music. And jokes: "I'd ask you in, but they didn't have any memory left to display the kabin interior!"
TLOZ: Link to the Past - again graphics, music, gameplay, plot, the world, characters...everything. My favourite Zelda game.
Final fantasy series - I haven't played them alot, but 'em are really good.
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse - Yea, yea, I know what you think, but it's good!
I like N64 games too, but SNES games are better. Think about Oot & MM, full of glitches!!

crystalyoshi

Adamant

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

C64 was technically superior to the NES?
Untitled
Untitled
Or, for a totally unfair comparison:
Untitled
Untitled

Ooh, ooh, me too:
Untitled
Untitled

...no wait

Adamant

outrun2sp

Absolutely right.

This is a poor generation of games.

Ever since everything has to be a media centre this generation has become poor.

F Zero GX fan forever

JGMR

The days in which every week one classic or more is being released, whatever system are long gone i'm afraid. The 90's were the 'Golden Age' of videogames, period. Nothing will ever match the innovations that were made in those years. Creativity was at it's peak. Back then developers DARED. Most games contained a certain atmosphere, had great music and replay value. Nowadays it's mostly recycling games that are being played for years and years. No, this generation is at a low point in history. Nintendo among very very few others is a bright point in the piles of the same-ness garbage. Giants i admire for their past glories like Capcom, Konami, Sega and Namco aren't what they used to be, they became lazy and so passionless that they give their work to developers outside as homework. Awful.

There is also a overkill of games that glorify man-to-man violence. There are extremely much 'war games' being released the last couple of years. I doesn't mean i am a 'softy' because i play games like Resident Evil. But you cannot deny there is a different mode of violence. There is a big difference playing the role of an adventurer following a deep story or that of a mindless virtual soldier.

I really appreciate Nintendo for it's philosophy that violence as main motivation behind a game does not sum up a good videogame at all.

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

CanisWolfred

WaveBoy wrote:

Bluh, the Wii has been the best thing since the SNES!

I was about to say that that was the funniest joke I heard all day, but then I read this:

WaveBoy wrote:

But the Wii trumps the N64 and GCN easily!

If you're just comparing the Wii to the N64 and the GCN, obviously it'll great.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Oregano

Nah, my trio of DS, Wii and 360 have provided me with the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Sure there's times when I'll neglect one of the consoles(right now that'd be the 360, going to change with Reach though) but I've got more games now than ever and I play more too.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

J_K

Uhh Wii the greatest system since the SNES? Probably should lay off the glue. I've had it since it came out and the truly quality titles it has received sadly has been few and far between which is why I own a PS3 now. Even some of the first party stuff has been downgraded a bit from the last gen GC titles (Kart and Brawl come to mind.) Third parties have massively disrespected the system giving it nearly nothing of value, and what there truly is looking back could be counted on fingers and thumbs more or less. GC or N64 didnt' suffer that horribly from being hosed over in such a horrible way to such a degree, the GC in particular though. Though to say that the Wii walks all over what the PS2 had in terms of good gaming is the pure statement of a true Nintendo fan with some huge horse blinders on.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

JGMR

Well i've got to admit that Nintendo's Wii is probably the best thing Nintendo has released since the SNES, simply because of the philosophy behind the console. A console for 'everyone'. That idea actually stretches back to the concept of their 1st console, the Famicom : Family Computer. I know there is a lot of garbage released, mostly by the 3rd parties. BUT, some of the best games ever are released on it, and Nintendo showed at the recent E3 that they haven't forgotten about the hardcore fans, even tough it seems a little late. It is quite a modern classic, even tough it's quite new. I think Wii owners shouldn't complain, as we have the golden chance to play the golden classics again with the Wii's Virtual Console-function.

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

J_K

You make a good point too as do others from the other side of the fence and the sitters. I hope this topic stays open long enough since a few good ones from today are getting the clamps for no good reason.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

CanisWolfred

WaveBoy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Bluh, the Wii has been the best thing since the SNES!

I was about to say that that was the funniest joke I heard all day, but then I read this:

WaveBoy wrote:

But the Wii trumps the N64 and GCN easily!

If you're just comparing the Wii to the N64 and the GCN, obviously it'll great.

It beats the PS2 and Xbox as well.
And seriously, for me the Wii has easily been the greatest system since the SNES. Many will agree, clearly you don't but it's just a matter of opinion. Again..... Nes > Snes > Wii. The PS3 and 360 have been utter dissapointments in my eyes....But hey, still looking forward to Dead Space 2

Different strokes for different folks, is all I can say. Though I have to agree with J.K., I find it hard to believe that the Wii's relatively meager collection, most of which consists of pure filth, can beat out the thousands upon thousands of Playstation 1 and 2 games, many of which are great or at least decent. Especially since, in my experience, the PS2 and Xbox outdo pretty much any genre available on the Wii. Can you honestly say Fragile Dreams and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories are better than Silent Hill 2? That Tenchu: Shadow Assassins is better than Metal Gear Solid 3? That No More Heroes is better than GTA3 or Devil May Cry? That...well...any RPG on the Wii is better than any RPG on the PS2? The only thing the Wii really has going for it are its platformers, which arguably outdo most outtings available on the PS2 and Xbox, depending on your tastes. Same with shooters, though I'll admit that's partly because most console FPSes last generation weren't very good IMHO, and those that were good can't be fairly compared to the games on the Wii since they're so different that it honestly all comes down to tastes as to which you prefer. Of course, most of the shooters on the Wii pale in comparison to other modern shooters, so its still difficult to call it a strength.

Really, if platformers, weird action games, decent shooters and the occasional adventure game are your thing, then I could understand why you'd be perfectly happy with your Wii. That's how I survived with the N64, which had the same breadth of games, just with less shovelware in between. Of course, that was back when I was 8, and I'm not 8 anymore and neither are you. It just blows my mind that someone could say honestly say they think the Wii is the best system this generation, let alone better than every generation that came after it. I hate to say it, but either you have some very specific tastes, or you really need to take your blinders off and play some better games.

I meant no offense by that statement, not in the slightest. Really, I'm more disappointed than anything else. Such a statement such as your comes off as very ignorant, at least towards the games that are available on non-Nintendo consoles. I really have to ask: have you honestly fully evaluated the full breadth of the PS1, PS2, or Xbox libraries? Or did you give them nothing more than a backward glance before shugging your shoulders and walking away? I sincerely hope it was not the latter.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Lotice-Paladin

I agree that the ratio is less then last gen, but I do tend to like this gen for adding retro services so it eases the pain I guess...

Despite that, been loving Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing and Smash Bros Brawl.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

Until the PS2 and Xbox, video games were all about graphics and features. Now, it's all about media, what your system can do besides play video games. It's sad, really. The golden age of video games: 1985-2001.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

Meta-Rift

StarFox wrote:

Until the PS2 and Xbox, video games were all about graphics and features. Now, it's all about media, what your system can do besides play video games. It's sad, really. The golden age of video games: 1985-2001.

It was never about graphics until the PS2 and Xbox. If it was all about graphics, why did Sega stop making consoles? Their graphics were always better than Nintendo's.

Meta-Rift

TwilightV

Rift wrote:

StarFox wrote:

It was never about graphics until the PS2 and Xbox. If it was all about graphics, why did Sega stop making consoles? Their graphics were always better than Nintendo's.

They stopped because they had a lot of unsold hardware. If demand doesn't meet supply, you lose profits. There were several factors that led to this (like the PS2's DVD capabilities).

Ugh, enough with that RIP crap. I get enough of that from people who watch old TV shows... XP

TwilightV

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.