Forums

Topic: Dig Dug

Posts 1 to 18 of 18

StarBoy91

[Hopefully this'll cheer me up from what I'm going through this morning. ]
Anyway, Dig Dug is one of many of Namco's famous arcade games, and one of the best. In fact, I'd almost say it's the best arcade game of all time. It was my favorite arcade game from childhood, and one of the first I've ever been addicted to.
Anyway, in this 1982 game, you control Dig Dug (or Mr. Driller, whatever you want to call him) who's objective is to blow up all the enemies by using a pump. As the main character, you can dig anywhere, which works in case you want to reach certain enemies (of course, that means some enemies will be able to reach you). But pumping the enemies to death isn't necessarily the only way to get the job done. You could also walk under rocks, and if the enemy/ies get under, then it's goodbye Pooka and/or Fygar. And if you make two rocks fall, a certain item will appear in the certain of the screen (temporarily) for some extra points. What's great about Dig Dug is that the more stages you progress, the more difficult it will get. After every enemy sans the last one has been defeated, the one left standing will try to run away (but don't worry, you get no penalty if you let him go). Dig Dug truly is a classic, and is very fun to boot! Not even Dig Dug II, which is a good sequel, outdoes this marvel of a gem.
Peace!

To each their own

RandomWiiPlayer

I love that game. Namco truly is a genius.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

StarBoy91

True dat! In fact, this is one of those arcade games that I never actually played at the arcades, only in compilations. Still, it's awesome!

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

theblackdragon

i used to play that game back in high school, lol... good times. i want to play it now. o_o

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

RandomWiiPlayer

theblackdragon wrote:

i used to play that game back in high school, lol... good times. i want to play it now. o_o

Buy Namco Museum for the Gamecube, I used to have that game, its awesome.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

StarBoy91

...or PlayStation, or Nintendo 64, or Game Boy Advance, or PSP, or DS. There's so many it's hard to keep track.
[And I made this because I wanted to get over the 1984 thing. I didn't mean to sound rude about it. ]

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

theblackdragon

StarBoy91 wrote:

...or PlayStation, or Nintendo 64, or Game Boy Advance, or PSP, or DS. There's so many it's hard to keep track.
[And I made this because I wanted to get over the 1984 thing. I didn't mean to sound rude about it. ]

PROTIP: if you stop referring to things you've said before on the forums that you're now embarrassed by, people will not constantly be reminded of them (and completely uninvolved parties will never know the difference and won't ask or try to find on their own what the heck you're talking about). You're not being rude by bringing up other versions of Namco Museum for other platforms, and who cares why you made this thread to discuss Dig Dug? It was a decent, fairly addictive little game. :3

@RWP: i'll look into that, thanks. I wonder why they didn't put Dig Dug on the Namco Museum they released for DS... i'd love to have it for DS and be able to take it with me wherever. :/

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Starkiller

I played the hell outta Dig Dug on the Atari 2600 during the summer break. I'd never played it before either, just goes to show the power of the 2600!

Wii: 6384-4454-1095-5243 Mario Kart Wii: 2492-4524-4329 ([NL] Matt) Brawl: 0087-2097-5918
Excitebike - World Rally: 2966 0011 1622 (Matt) Bomberman Blitz: 3738-9648-1518 Dragon Quest Wars: 1634-4322-3201

StarBoy91

Actually, I was talking about 1984. I didn't mean to be rude about 1984.
Still, I love Dig Dug; and I have such fondness towards it.
EDIT: One of the reasons I make these thoughtbox threads are either because I'm very nostalgic or because I really want to talk about the game I want to talk about
EDIT2: Okay, tbd, I'll stop fixating over the negative things I've done in the past (I hope)

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Adam

I always liked the sequel more for some reason. Seems like most people greatly prefer the original though. Both are cool but far from my favorite classic arcade games. That would be a toss up between Q*Bert, Pole Position, and Crystal Castles.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

StarBoy91

I've always found Dig Dug II very fascinating. I liked the top down view, as well as the fact that you could drill an island. Glad they kept the pumping part. I own the NES version, and it's really good. But I still love the original to death.

To each their own

cheetahman91

Dig Dug 2's a pretty good game too. Same for Mr. Driller.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Sean_Aaron

I really didn't like Dig Dug 2. The first is brilliant. I'd also recommend the Namco Museum Remix over the Gamecube version because you get the great bezel art for your widescreen display!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

7th_lutz

I first played Dig Dug on the Atari 7800. Great game.

7th_lutz

Burning_Spear

I dumped many a quarter into the arcade version when it first hit the scene. All these years later, I still play the Namco ports for the GBA and GameCube. Definitely belongs in the video game hall of fame.

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

StarBoy91

True dat! Now, when can we see an official Dig Dug 3? :3

To each their own

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.