Retro Forum

Topic: Best of Metroid

Showing 21 to 40 of 50

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

21. Posted:

Zero mission. :P

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

misswliu81

22. Posted:

1) super metroid, 2) metroid fusion - 2D
1) metroid prime 1, 2) metroid : other M - 3D

misswliu81

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

23. Posted:

i think metroid was at it's best when it was a side-scroller. metroid prime was horrible. the controls were tedious, and i couldn't manipulate them to my pleasure ]:< and whenever i looked down, i couldn't see my feet, so the jumping was always risky. all my muscles tensed when i jumped. whenever i needed to look in any direction, the reticle wouldn't stay put. it always floated back to the middle of the screen when i wasn't aiming like it wanted me to. it REALLY annoyed me that you needed to hold the trigger to look around too. it meant that whenever i was jumping, i had to constantly look down to see that i was close enough to the edge before i could jump, and it was still risky because i couldnt see for sure how close i was to the edge because YOU CANT SEE YOUR FEET. i realize you needed the c-stick to swap between upgrades or whatever, but it would be so much easier if the controls were reversed; meaning you should be able to look around using the c-stick, and you swap items by holding the trigger and using the c-stick. this solution would have also solved the movement problem. using the main analog stick, you can only walk forward. if you want to turn it left of right, you turn around, which is a big problem when fighting anything, or just moving around in general. it was slow and annoying. when walking around, you make a lot of turns, meaning you have to stop, turn around, then head forward. the process is a lot slower than what it appears to be. when fighting, you can either use the lock on system(which sucks a LOT), or you can slowly turn around, hold the trigger, aim, shoot the enemy until they fly off your screen(because the aiming sucks), and repeat the process. if you lock on, you wont get all the enemies on the screen, and the ones off screen will fire at you without you knowing, or you can choose the other approach, which is going to kill you.

i really hate Prime.
i dont think you guys understand what i'm saying.
here's the thing.
i REALLY hate Prime.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

24. Posted:

7) Metroid: Other M
6) Metroid: Fusion
5) Metroid: Zero Mission
4) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
3) Metroid II: Return of Samus
2) Metroid (NES)
1) Super Metroid

I have the Metroid Prime Trilogy and would some day like to get around to Prime 1 & 2.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

25. Posted:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK
Metroid Prime's controls for the GCN certainly aren't great, and I felt they ultimately prevented the game from being great. With that said, the Metroid Prime Trilogy's version of Metroid Prime is far superior in this area, and I would reccommend it. The game wasn't great until it got that control update.

Edited on by I-U

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

26. Posted:

I-U wrote:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK
Metroid Prime's controls for the GCN certainly aren't great, and I felt they ultimately prevented the game from being great. With that said, the Metroid Prime Trilogy's version of Metroid Prime is far superior in this area, and I would reccommend it. The game wasn't great until it got that control update.

wait, since when was there a control update? was it on the wii? nevermind. if it was on the wii, i couldnt possibly give a flying hoot about it. i dont think i made it clear enough about how much i hate this game. if i could figure out how to properly do so, i'd make a video explaining how crappy they are.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

27. Posted:

0LD_SK0OL_PUNK wrote:

i think metroid was at it's best when it was a side-scroller. metroid prime was horrible. the controls were tedious, and i couldn't manipulate them to my pleasure ]:< and whenever i looked down, i couldn't see my feet, so the jumping was always risky. all my muscles tensed when i jumped. whenever i needed to look in any direction, the reticle wouldn't stay put. it always floated back to the middle of the screen when i wasn't aiming like it wanted me to. it REALLY annoyed me that you needed to hold the trigger to look around too. it meant that whenever i was jumping, i had to constantly look down to see that i was close enough to the edge before i could jump, and it was still risky because i couldnt see for sure how close i was to the edge because YOU CANT SEE YOUR FEET. i realize you needed the c-stick to swap between upgrades or whatever, but it would be so much easier if the controls were reversed; meaning you should be able to look around using the c-stick, and you swap items by holding the trigger and using the c-stick. this solution would have also solved the movement problem. using the main analog stick, you can only walk forward. if you want to turn it left of right, you turn around, which is a big problem when fighting anything, or just moving around in general. it was slow and annoying. when walking around, you make a lot of turns, meaning you have to stop, turn around, then head forward. the process is a lot slower than what it appears to be. when fighting, you can either use the lock on system(which sucks a LOT), or you can slowly turn around, hold the trigger, aim, shoot the enemy until they fly off your screen(because the aiming sucks), and repeat the process. if you lock on, you wont get all the enemies on the screen, and the ones off screen will fire at you without you knowing, or you can choose the other approach, which is going to kill you.

i really hate Prime.
i dont think you guys understand what i'm saying.
here's the thing.
i REALLY hate Prime.

ok

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

28. Posted:

@OldSchoolPunk
Metroid Prime Trilogy's Wii pointer controls make a world of a difference. I too hate the Analog based GCN control scheme, but on the Wii?
A complete night and day difference that overall makes the 3 games far more enjoyable, natural, immersive and more fun to play. I had zero problems with MP3's control scheme. It was a phenomenal-mind blowing experience(Lag free Tube TV that is) . Really, you're missing out on a 'groundbreaking' way of playing first person based titles. And this is coming from someone who absolutely hated the GCN control scheme! :p

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Wonder_Ideal

29. Posted:

@WaveWitch While I never played the original style of Prime, I can easily imagine what it would be like. And yes, I agree that MP3 was amazing!
Top 3 Metroid Titles
1. Metroid Prime Trilogy
2. Metroid Fusion
3. Metroid
I tried to stay as retro as I could within my experience range. I counted MPT because it contains MP and MP2:E.

Mesaloggery
The Hero of Ideals: A Legend, by True_Hero
I believe that once one has spotted a UFO it becomes an IFO(Identified Flying Object) as you have identified it then as being unidentified. -@3Dash

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8724-1357 | Nintendo Network ID: Ideal_Hero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

30. Posted:

I wonder if Waveboy will ever realise that the controls are not what make any Metroid Prime fantastic.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

31. Posted:

So graphics, atmosphere and sound are more important than controls/gameplay? If that were the case I'd be better off just watching a movie. Analog based controls in a 3D World be it first or 3rd person doesn't make sense to me any more now that pointer controls paved the way back in late 06' Different strokes, but for me, analog based First person titles feel broken and completely unatural,unimmersive, robitic, stiff, clunky, unrealistic and most importantly NOT fun.

Does a hunter take his keyboard and mouse or fiddle his thumbs on a couple of sticks when taking down his prey? I know these are just videogames, but when the standard has been set for a genre that desperately needed more realism(aside fro the typical graphical upgade) in terms of gameplay/control why settle for anything less?

yes, i know Prime at the core is a fantastic game. But for me it's crippled(GCN version) by it's tank-like & dated analog controls....It's a million times worse 'now' since wii pointer controls are available. The first person traditional GCN controls created that that love-hate relationship i had with the original Prime. Trilogy has fixed that. ;)

Keep in mind that i hate first person shooters, at least with keyboard + mouse and traditional analog controls. Bioshock 1 & 2 put me to sleep, regardless of the graphical spectacle, sound and unique atmosphere. The controls completely shot it back to the PS1 days.
I'm going to have to make an exception for ZombiU though....At least it puts the GamePad screen to good use in terms of innovation. But it's sad that they had to make such an enormous sacrifice by ditching the pointer controls all together in favor of a different innovative approach. Would of loved to of seen them build on the fundamental Wii + nunchuck control scheme, but as is it just can't work with the game pad. Hence why we have alternate control scehemes for many Wii U titles, just not Zombie U. :p Bummer!

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

32. Posted:

I only read the first sentence of your wall of text to know you missed my simplistic point.

But to reply to your sentence: no. And where did I ever mention gameplay?

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

33. Posted:

lol. Controls are part of the gameplay....Without them(Drum Roll)...you can't play the game. durp!
Yes, I loved prime 3, controls aside...Maybe even a tiny bit more than the original....although Prime 3's final boss was a bit of an uninspired "THAT'S IT " let down in terms of breing grand, creative, intimidating and epic when stacked up the final Baddy' in the original...and i'm not sure i liked the feeling of not truley being alone OR teaming up with other Bounty Hunters ect ect . It didn't retain that classic true Metroid feel of Prime 1(But that's fine, seeing as how they needed to spice things up), but it introduced a few new great ideas and then some. Really, it was pretty much thee' perfect experience otherwise.

Anyways, The basic core design/idea and what you're supposed to do ect ect behind Metroid is all great and dandy. but when it all comes down to it an experience can be completely hindered if the controls aren't up to speed even IF the core ideas are phenomenal. In this case, Prime's analog controls are great for what they 'are'... all I'm saying is that using that control scheme no matter how great the actual game 'may be' outside the controls method isn't worth my time. Clearly, whenever I discuss MP3 i always bring up the pointer controls before anything else in the game. :p Broken record on repeat MJ style. ;)

Moving on, did you guys find Metroid II more challenging than the NES original?

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

34. Posted:

WaveWitch wrote:

@OldSchoolPunk
Metroid Prime Trilogy's Wii pointer controls make a world of a difference. I too hate the Analog based GCN control scheme, but on the Wii?
A complete night and day difference that overall makes the 3 games far more enjoyable, natural, immersive and more fun to play. I had zero problems with MP3's control scheme. It was a phenomenal-mind blowing experience(Lag free Tube TV that is) . Really, you're missing out on a 'groundbreaking' way of playing first person based titles. And this is coming from someone who absolutely hated the GCN control scheme! :p

ain't got a wii. never will. with the rise of the wii U, i really wont be needing a wii, will i?

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

35. Posted:

@Old_Skool_Punk
It's backwards compatible. So you'll just need some Wii remote Plus's and Nunchucks.

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AceGrey

36. Posted:

I've played every game from the series,
But "Metroid Fusion" is my favorite and the only one I have beaten.

POWER TO THE PLAYERS

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

37. Posted:

lol. Controls are part of the gameplay....Without them(Drum Roll)...you can't play the game. durp!

Again, this is all I'm reading.

Are you kidding me? While controls are a huge aspect of every game ever made, you have to realise controls and gameplay are two different things. Lets put it this way: this discussion of is a lot like caramel apples. In order to have one, you need an apple and caramel. With video games you need gameplay and controls. Both different, yet necessary.

Now with that, caramel, like controls, enhance the apple's flavor, sort of like how controls enhance the overall gameplay.

Also, I think you're overlooking every aspect Corruption actually excels in.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CapnPancakes

38. Posted:

Just look at it like Kid Icarus: Uprising in terms of the control aspect. When all the reviews were going on, you could clearly see that the reviewers who disliked the controls gave the game a lower score thatn those who got used to them and could look past it. If you can't enjoy Metroid Prime because of the control scheme, then clearly it's hindering how the game-plays. I agree that dual analog is unnatural and clunky and something that I can't personally overlook, but there are plenty of people who don't ave a problem with it and it wouldn't hinder their enjoyment of the game.

To use CactusJack's metaphor, if you're allergic to caramel, how will you enjoy the apple underneath?

Edited on by CapnPancakes

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

39. Posted:

I personally don't have an issue with dual analog controls when they are executed great like in Skyrim. Metroid Prime's problem is that it had too many inputs forced to work with the Gamecube controller, which ultimately killed any smoother alternatives to be provided. It is too complex for the Gamecube, where as it is not on the Wii. I agree with some of those comments I've seen about Metroid Prime before, it being an experience ahead of its time, and that is one of its issues.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bezerker99

40. Posted:

I think Metroid Prime was really good. My only complaint was all the scanning. I realize it's not necessary to scan anything but for those trying to get 100%, that became a bit of a chore.

"Everybody gets old, but not everybody gets great!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
My name in a video game.

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99