Forums

Topic: Atari 2600 game Princess Rescue pulled from Atariage Store

Posts 1 to 14 of 14

KingMike

I don't know why Nintendo would care about hobbyists selling a 2600 game in 2013, and the authors probably didn't think so either which is why they copied Mario, the level design and music.
Maybe it's because they were making money (seeing as Nintendo leaves free things like ROM hacks, SMBX and SMB Crossover alone), whether or not they were profiting (I mean, I hear carts are very expensive to make unless you can order them by the thousands).
Or am I underestimating the demand for homebrew 2600 games?

KingMike

Mk_II

It's the principle. If you don't fight copyright infringements in court you basically create a "prior use" case and ultimately even risk losing the copyright. Looks like the programmer of this game used the tunes from the original SMB game and that's probably what tripped him up.

Edited on by Mk_II

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code

KingMike

No, it's trademarks you need to use or lose. Copyright you don't.
Most famous example: probably everybody in America if not the entire English-speaking world sings "Happy Birthday" several times a year. Despite that, TV shows (most recent I watched was 30 Rock, although I don't want much new shows honestly) have made fun of avoiding singing the song on TV to avoid having to pay for the right to. Even though it's not well-known exactly WHO owns the copyright.
On the other hand, some trademark owners have to had to fight to get people to stop using their trademarks in normal speech (such as in the '90s Johnson & Johnson inserted the word "brand" into the classic Band-Aid jingle, and I know at one point Adobe had a page stressing that PhotoShop is a proper noun and not a verb.)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

the_shpydar

Not surprised this happened. Now i'm kind of upset I didn't order a copy of the cart when they first offered them.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

StarDust4Ever

I bought the game when it came out and I do not regret it one bit. The physics are pretty wonky and it gets tough in later stages. I still haven't beaten it yet. There's a full 51 minute playthough on youtube if you want to see the whole thing:

Edited on by StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever

Nintendo Network ID: StarDust4Ever

unrandomsam

KingMike wrote:

No, it's trademarks you need to use or lose. Copyright you don't.
Most famous example: probably everybody in America if not the entire English-speaking world sings "Happy Birthday" several times a year. Despite that, TV shows (most recent I watched was 30 Rock, although I don't want much new shows honestly) have made fun of avoiding singing the song on TV to avoid having to pay for the right to. Even though it's not well-known exactly WHO owns the copyright.
On the other hand, some trademark owners have to had to fight to get people to stop using their trademarks in normal speech (such as in the '90s Johnson & Johnson inserted the word "brand" into the classic Band-Aid jingle, and I know at one point Adobe had a page stressing that PhotoShop is a proper noun and not a verb.)

Think it is Warner Bros but they more than likely didn't actually have any part in its creation or pay the creator. (Not so long ago the American way was rip off any foreign stuff as much as you like. Amusing how they expect China to care when they did exactly the same thing not so long ago).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

tomjscott

The funniest thing I found about this whole story was when I saw the box cover image for the game. It clearly reads:

"(c)2012 Chris Spry. All rights reserved."

Seriously? The guy steals from Nintendo and then claims reserved rights on it. Unbelievable.

tomjscott

Twitter:

unrandomsam

tomjscott wrote:

The funniest thing I found about this whole story was when I saw the box cover image for the game. It clearly reads:

"(c)2012 Chris Spry. All rights reserved."

Seriously? The guy steals from Nintendo and then claims reserved rights on it. Unbelievable.

Well Nintendo ripped off Pong from Atari (In a much less original way than this).

tomjscott

unrandomsam wrote:

Well Nintendo ripped off Pong from Atari (In a much less original way than this).

And that makes this guy's actions somehow right? I fail to see your point.

tomjscott

Twitter:

unrandomsam

tomjscott wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

And that makes this guy's actions somehow right? I fail to see your point.

Cloning was how Nintendo started out.

This is more original than that.

(And as a principle I would never tell somebody else to not do something that I had benefited greatly from being able to do. Companies want to be treated like people.)

unrandomsam

Donkey Kong is maybe an even better example.

The court ruled Nintendo was ok. (For the best I think).

But they did deliberately link it to King Kong (And the fist punching movement is another trait of King Kong).

Inkling

Back to the grave with you, old thread!

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.