Forums

Topic: 1993

Posts 21 to 40 of 63

StuffyStuff

I can't help but notice a certain Mega Man X being excluded from this 1993 talk.

StuffyStuff

the_shpydar

1993 was around the time that my gaming died down a bit for a couple years, as it was the end of my senior year in high school / beginning of my freshman year of college. The only things i really played was some Bases Loaded on NES when i was home (i was obsessed with that game for several years), and while at college it was mostly some "enhanced" gaming (cough cough) on my roomate's Genesis — primarily Mortal Kombat and Streets of Rage 2, and of course Sonic 2. Also a whole lotta Street Fighter II in the campus arcade (conviently down the hall from the campus pub ... yay skipped classes!)

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

6ch6ris6

wow so people in the 20's are retro gamers?^^

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

SonicMaster

Well, I wasn't born yet, but my favorite game came out in '93 .

SonicMaster

LzWinky

So many young people here

You missed out on a lot of coolness

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

TeeJay

StuffyStuff wrote:

I can't help but notice a certain Mega Man X being excluded from this 1993 talk.

Megaman X! Go Megaman X! Best game ever created of all time in the history of ever!!1!one!1

Gaze upon Megaman in all his pixelated glory!
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

JGMR

madgear wrote:

roolness:

The description says [ARCADE] Ridge Racer 1993 NAMCO (480p/30fps) while it's closer to 50/60 frames per second. Lot of people claim that it cannot be played on Vivanonno, including it's creators. Wrong, hehe.

With kind regards,

JGMR

madgear

90s_Gamer wrote:

roolness:

The description says [ARCADE] Ridge Racer 1993 NAMCO (480p/30fps) while it's closer to 50/60 frames per second. Lot of people claim that it cannot be played on Vivanonno, including it's creators. Wrong, hehe.

That's just the emulator in the video running at 30fps - the original arcade is a smooth 60.

Waveboy - I'm just a few years older than you but you have a longer gaming memory than I do. I don't remember anything from '89 as I didn't start gaming until the 90's other than seeing the odd arcade machine I think. I did play a lot of '80's games in the '90's, though - especially when round at friend's houses. I think to have really appreciated this era and a bit before you'd have had to have been born in the '70's - alas I was not.

madgear

Ryno

So 1993, huh? I was 11 for the first half of that year and 12 for the other half. My favorite games that came out in 1993 were Link's Awakening and Star Fox. Honorable mentions go to Final Fight 2, Rondo of Blood (which I did not play until the beginning of this year) and WWF Royal Rumble - a game I played way to much on my SNES!

I played a little bit of Myst on Mac too.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

SonicMaster

WaveBoy wrote:

6ch6ris6 wrote:

wow so people in the 20's are retro gamers?^^

I know there are a few people in their 30's in this forum but i'm pretty sure they rarely post.

Corbie's in his 40s

DISPROVED

SonicMaster

TwilightV

Personally, I thought it was a better year for television.

TwilightV

Lotice-Paladin

Meh, 1994 was better with Sonic 3, Streets of Rage 3, Ecco 2 and Puyo Puyo 2 (I played Kirby's Ghost Trap though), then you have the SNES side to go through.

1993 had more Arcade hits and Sonic CD.

Oh to someone who said about rare Retro gamers in their 20's I was born near the end of 89, what am I then?

@Post above: YES! Crystal Maze! <3

I started gaming in 93 but even I have played 80's games (before Mario) thanks to a friend of mine who was a Mega Drive owner)

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

rolLTheDice

Went to a helpful wikipedia page and looked for games from 1993 that left me impressed at some time in my life.

• Mortal Kombat
  • UFO: Enemy Unknown - Played a demo of this back in the days. Really liked the gameplay and design but never got the full game.
  • Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle - An absolutely amazing time playing this game with my 4-year older aunt back then. Along with a German Ice Hockey managing sim that released that year.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Doom - Thought these were photorealistic graphics back then.
  • Star Fox
  • Secret of Mana - Wish i played this with some friends back then instead of alone on the VC these days.
  • Kirby's Adventure - Amazing music. Had problems with the final bosses back then.
  • Super Mario All-Stars - Three of the best platformers on one cartridge. I had the originals but one of my best friends got this.
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Seen this on a game show in german television without knowing about Puyo Puyo. And along with a strange competetive monster frisbee game which name i sadly never will know i guess. Still digging the frantic gameplay today though it ranges behind the likes of Tetris, Dr. Mario and Panel de Pon for me.
  • X-Wing - Absolutely X-citing and a state of the art Star Wars game in the early nineteens.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

Lotice-Paladin

Mortal Kombat brings back memories (played the newest one too).

I never knew Kirby's Adventure came out that late! Best VC game I've experienced for the first time.

Puyo Puyo isn't so hot because a master can beat anyone (even another veteran...usually a 50/50 win streak from what I've seen)...it's still a great puzzle series, with varied music in each release. I prefer Puyo Puyo's music over 2 though (I own the sequel on the VC too).

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

James

After Sonic 2, before Sonic 3... I don't think I played anything memorable in 1993.

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

madgear

Sonic CD, James, Sonic CD!

madgear

JGMR

Other notable mentions, in my opinion...

Shadowrun, Cool Spot, Flashback, Epic Pinball, Syndicate, Prince of Persia 2, Shinobi III, Alien 3 : The Gun, Alien 3 on MD and SNES, Aladdin, Rocket Knight Adventures, Axelay, NBA Jam, Police Quest IV, The 7th Guest, Tiny Toons (all systems), Batman Returns (SNES), Castlevania - Rondo of Blood, Jurassic Park, X-Men (MD), Super Turrican, Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers, Duke Nukem 2, ....

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

BedCommando

1993, that's the year I first started going to the arcades regularly. That's when I got my hands on Street Fighter II, and Mortal Kombat. around just spamming punches, trying to figure out the special moves. Didn't take long for Ken to grab my attention in SFII, and when I found out I could freeze my opponents, Sub-Zero has always been my go to fighter when I want to be ruthless and leave with a piece of my opponent afterwards (Preferably the spine).

Edited on by theblackdragon

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

madgear

Yeah 1993 was amazing for Street Fighter in the arcades. I remember seeing Super Street Fighter 2 for the first time that year - it looked incredible. The upgraded graphics, new stages, new characters - that intro where Ryu threw a fireball into the screen...

Edited on by madgear

madgear

SonicMaster

Frimelda wrote:

I never knew Kirby's Adventure came out that late! Best VC game I've experienced for the first time.

Yeah, it was one of the swan songs of the NES. You could really tell they were pushing the system to its limits. Not only was it great-looking and colorful, but its soundtrack is awesome!

SonicMaster

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.