Forums

Topic: 1993

Posts 1 to 20 of 63

madgear

I have to say I have a huge fondness for gaming from this year - mostly in the arcades. To me it was the most exciting time with games such as Ridge Racer, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter beginning to appear yet old favourites like Super Street Fighter 2 (and Turbo the year after) are given new life. The problem is I feel there's very little love for this era as far as retro gaming goes.

Super Street Fighter 2 seems to be the only one that gets the odd re-release yet games like Ridge Racer, Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter seem practically ignored as far as their original releases are concerned. These are games that changed everything and shaped modern gaming but they're never released on compilation discs or as downloads. Does anyone else have a fondness for games from this era?

Edited on by madgear

madgear

TeeJay

I was less than a year old for most of 1993 so I don't have a clue.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

theblackdragon

@TeeJay: that doesn't mean you maybe haven't played (and enjoyed?) some of the games that came out back in '93, which is what madgear is asking. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

TeeJay

Hmmm...which games/systems were out in 1993?

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

LzWinky

TeeJay wrote:

Super Freaking Nintendo Entertainment Awesomeness System (Otherwise known as the SFNEAS)

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

TeeJay

So...the NES? Well then, I do love the Megaman games.

thebluelight1

I was a strict PC gamer back in these days, awesome games like Thomas the Tank Engine and Noddy running on DOS...ahh, CD(backslash)THOMAS and all that jazz! Probably played a fair few great SNES/MegaDrive games since then mind.

Edited on by thebluelight1

Hey! Listen!

"You know how fads are. Today it's brains, tomorrow, pierced tongues. Then the next day, pierced brains."

Games!Games!!Games!!!

madgear

Yep Bezerker - MK2 was definately a big one that year I can't believe I forgot it. I still think it's the best Mortal Kombat in the series. I also forgot to mention Doom - my parents bought our first PC that year and we got the Doom shareware with it.

@TeeJay - c'mon, surely no kid is that ignorant of the past. I only started gaming a couple of years before 93 yet I'm aware of what came before back to the '70's.

madgear

JGMR

Yes. 1993 was and still is THE golden year of Videogames. ever. in my opinion.

Like Madgear mentioned, revolutionary games were released (like Starwing Star Fox, Doom, Ridge Racer), the SNES became even more popular....

1993 is for me.

With kind regards,

JGMR

cheetahman91

That's the year I was born. Back on topic, it had some pretty good releases like Kirby's Adventure, Shining Force and Star Fox.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

alexhuerta

NHL 94 and Tecmo Super Bowl were required games in my social circle. Also Contra 3 came out a bout this time and that game is awesome. Also NHL 94 imo is the greatest sports game ever released on a console

alexhuerta

SonicMaster

lzbirdboy wrote:

TeeJay wrote:

Super Freaking Nintendo Entertainment Awesomeness System (Otherwise known as the SFNEAS)

TeeJay wrote:

So...the NES?

SonicMaster

turtlelink

Good times... Playing halo every weekend. Those where the days~

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

LzWinky

turtlelink wrote:

Good times... Playing halo every weekend. Those where the days~

In 1993? What time paradox do you live in?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

BulbasaurusRex

Don't forget about Sonic the Hedgehog 3. When paired with its second half (AKA Sonic and Knuckles) that was released 6 months later, its the best Genesis/MegaDrive game ever made.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

KingMike

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

Don't forget about Sonic the Hedgehog 3. When paired with its second half (AKA Sonic and Knuckles) that was released 6 months later, its the best Genesis/MegaDrive game ever made.

Wrong year, they came out in 1994.

What was I playing that year? My SNES and Game Boy.
Super Mario All-Stars! (the first time I played the SMB series)
Mickey's Magical Quest, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!, Roadrunner's Death Valley Rally, Super Mario Kart, Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (though I could never finish it because, at least my copy, was bugged and would auto-reset randomly), Bubsy (I thought the first was okay, but it's what SNES kiddies who wanted to play Sonic had to put up with)
Link's Awakening, Kid Dracula, Yoshi's Cookie.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

madgear

A lot of young people on this forum. I'd be interested to hear from some older members who were teens in the 1980's - growing up with a different era of games do you still have a fondness for '93 too?

I remember when I first saw Ridge Racer it looked almost real. Before that I had only seen 2D 8-bit and 16-bit games and then here was this 3D fully textured 60fps racing game like it had come from the future (and it sort of had).

madgear

JustanotherGamer

I remember that a worthwhile videogame consoles that used CD ROMS had not been perfected yet. Sega had the SEGA CD/MEGA CD. The Turbo Duo was the Second try from NEC. They first tried back in 1989 with the Turbo Graphics CD Player ADD on. The Phipps CDi and The 3DO were kicking around this era. A videogame Console that used CD as it's medium had not been excuted properly yet.

Not until December 3rd 1994 when the Playstation would arrive. Until then CD Rom Add-ons from SEGA and NEC were the best the videogaming industry could do. This is the era where being able to play videogames on a CD was a really big deal.

The SNES CD ROM add on was supposed to be released during this era. That EXT port under the Super Nintendo. The port that never did have the fabled SNES PlayStation CD ROM.... December 3rd 1994 had not happened yet.

JustanotherGamer

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.