Forums

Topic: Your Games of the Year in 2017

Posts 41 to 60 of 67

bitleman

Armbouncer wrote:

bitleman wrote:

Gamers want new universe, new characters, new stories, not some weird gameplay or level design experiment. All the gameplay standards have already been perfected. Videogames aren't toys anymore, they are an artistic medium. Nintendo will be outdated as long as they won't understand this.

I think sales prove you're totally wrong.

But the future will prove me right. All the upcoming AAA games are directed by a scriptwriter, a storyteller or a guy in charge of the narrative part of the game. Nintendo is the only one left in the corner who keep giving the job of director to a game designer. And Zelda won't be a game changer. The rest of the industry understood the future of the media's creative freedom is into its narrative, not into its game design. This isn't the 80's anymore.

bitleman

Switch_will_fail

@bitleman This might come off as outlandish but, I think game design is a bit more important in a video game than story telling. Crazy, I know.

Switch_will_fail

Dogorilla

@bitleman As well as sales, the fact that BotW is one of the highest-rated games of all time should prove that most people disagree with you there. Nintendo is much better at game design than storytelling, so they almost always focus more on gameplay than story, and it almost always works.

Currently Playing: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch), Pokémon Ultra Moon (3DS), Psychonauts (PC), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild + DLC (Wii U)

Eagle9

I have 11 Switch games and 12 3DS games that been published in 2017, so Top 10 can be easy to say although i haven't even played most of those - my backlag is so long. Maybe i edit this post when i have clear picture.

Eagle9

kkslider5552000

bitleman wrote:

Nintendo is still stucked in the mentality of the tiranny of game designers like in the 80's when you had no idea if the game you bought played good or bad. They still haven't understand the modern industry is dominated by scriptwriters and story-tellers. Gamers want new universe, new characters, new stories, not some weird gameplay or level design experiment.

This is the least true thing posted all year, I'm certain.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Tasuki

I will list my overall top games for 2017 no matter what system they are from.

1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) — What can I say about this game that hasn't been said already? As someone who is not a fan of 3D Mario games this game took me by surprise. The level designs are great, the music is great too and the graphics are fantastic. Yes it's a collectathon but you can choose how much you want to collect and go to the next world when you are ready not when you have everything.

2. MLB the Show 17 (PS4) — I never played any of The Show games before this, but I was wanting to play a current gen baseball game (plus it doesn't help that my Cubbies are decent in this game) and the retro mode piqued my interest. Well the retro mode definitely won me over as it felt like a spiritual successor to Ken Griffey Jr. on the SNES. However the main game was a pleasant surprise as well. I especially like the amount of options so you can make the game as much as a Sim or arcade sports game as you like.

3. Call of Duty: WWII (PS4) — A return to boots on the ground style game play set in World War II on a current gen console. I don't think I need to say more.

4. Tekken 7 (PS4) — After the disappointment of Tekken 6 this is the main Tekken game I was hoping for. I really loved how they wrapped up Heihachi and Kazuya's storyline. For me it was one of the best storyline for a game this year. When you have a couple of people multiplayer is just as addictive as ever.

5. The Disney Afternoon Collection (PS4) This one was a total surprise. A collection of some of my favorite games as a child on current gen systems, not only that but throw in some extras like boss rush modes and it easily deserves a place on my top games of 2017 list.

Bonus Biggest Disappointment:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) I am sure this will get me flack here but I was disappointed with this game, and before you think it's because I played it on the Wii U, that doesn't matter. For me it was the gameplay that did it for me. I can appreciate having a large open world to explore, but the fact that there wasn't any real goal except to get Ganon just made exploring the world pointless to me and yeah you can get stuff from the shrines and such but really there wasn't any big incentive to do them at least for me. That and having my weapons break all the time just ruined combat for me. While not necessarily a bad game it just wasn't for me sadly.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Scrummer

Haven't played many games, so here's my top 5 that I posted on another forum.

5: Snipperclips Plus: Cut it out, together!
Now, even if this were only the base game, I would still put it on this list. Snipperclips is just such a fun experience that I keep coming back to it to solve a puzzle or play the Blitz mode with my family. With the added “Random shapes” mode, that adds even more re-playability. Snipperclips is an amazing game, and anyone who owns a Switch and has friends to play it with should not hesitate to pick up this game.

4: Destiny 2
While many consider the original Destiny a heaping pile of garbage, Destiny 2 makes considerable improvements. For one, there's actually a story, and the already fun gameplay of the original is improved on. It does get grind after a while, which is why this isn't higher, but the amount of fun I had when I was playing it outweighs many problems.

3: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I'm probably gonna get some hate for this one, seeing as I'm not putting it at number one, or even number two, and even from a purely subjective standpoint, I think this the best game of 2017, but from a subjective standpoint, I just enjoyed the next two games more. That's not to say I dislike this game, obviously. I think this game is fantastic, and a load of fun. Seriously, if you haven't played this yet, what are you waiting for?

2: Steamworld Dig 2
Now, remember about a paragraph back when I said if you haven't played BOTW, what are you waiting for? Well, for that I understand if you haven't played it, as you may not have enough money for a Switch. But there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't have played Steamworld Dig 2. It's on every console, and on PC/Mac, and is my favorite indie of the year. I really can't even type how fun this game is. Just go play it and see for yourself.

1: Super Mario Odyssey
The game everyone was waiting for came on October 27th, 2017, and it is very safe to say that it did not disappoint. the controls are so fluid and collecting moons is so much fun, and let's be honest. If one of the main complaints about your game is that there's too much content, then let's just say there are worse problems to have. This is the game to buy a Switch for. BOTW was on Wii U, and most other games on the Switch either have a similar counterpart on Wii U, or are on other consoles. But nothing has and most likely never will be like Super Mario Odyssey. It is a phenomenal game that everyone should have the pleasure of playing.

Scrummer

GrailUK

1. Super Mario Odyssey / Zelda Breath of the Wild. (They'll have to share the honours)
3. Wonderboy The Dragon's Trap
4. Skyrim
5. Doom

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Joeynator3000

I don't really have one...I don't know why. But I have said this once before and I'll say it again....The Games Awards GOTY will be another FPS. lol

That said, I guess...MH stories? Honestly I need to finish Cuphead already...ugh. I stopped after getting to isle 2. xD

insert reason for avatar change here
My Youtube Channel
WHY NO ONE WUV MEGUMI!?!?!
Harry Pooper and the Goblin of Poop
Watch Sanya fight a twist-tie
...and finally-
A Perfect Yoda!
Switch FC: SW-2301-6106-1058

Twitter:

19Robb92

3. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

2. Super Mario: Odyssey

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It was pretty difficult to choose between Odyssey and BotW. But I feel like BotW is a huge risk on Nintendo's part, while Odyssey plays it safe - so that's why I'll pick BotW. Very few companies would be willing to change a successful franchise's formula to the extent that BotW was changed relative to previous Zelda games, let alone be successful at doing so. An incredible amount of things could have gone wrong and I find it very impressive that they pulled it off.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Octane

@Joeynator3000 What do you mean with ''another''? Dragon Age: Inquisition (2014), bad choice IMO, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015), and Overwatch (2016), but hardly your ''traditional'' FPS. This year it's between Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, PUBG, and Mario Odyssey; and I doubt PUBG is going to win...

Either, it doesn't matter, the only reason we watch this stuff is because of the new game announcements.

Octane

-Green-

I kind of like seeing the rewards tbh. So are these rewards given out by popularity vote or is there some sort of group that votes on it? I’d imagine the former since they have their own little voting site.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

MarcelRguez

As always, this will surely change if you ask again next week or so:

• 1. NieR: Automata
  • 2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • 3. Yakuza 0
  • 4. Splatoon 2
  • 5. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • 6. Super Mario Odyssey
  • 7. Metroid: Samus Returns
  • 8. Prey
  • 9. The Evil Within 2
  • 10. FAST RMX

I couldn't get around stuff like Nioh or Persona 5 so I'll probably spend early 2018 catching up with those big titles I missed. As far as I'm concerned, this is the strongest year in gaming release-wise since I have memory.

Edit: Wait, I forgot about Doki Doki Literature Club and freakin' Tekken 7. I need to rethink this whole list.

@-Green- Most are 90% jury, 10% audience. A few (trending gamer of the year and the like) are 100% audience, IIRC.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Whopper744

**Game of the Year**
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (I couldn’t choose between this and Mario Odyssey so I let our 3 year old pick for me)

**Best Game Direction**
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

**Best Art Direction**
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (to no one’s surprise)

**Best Music**
Super Mario Odyssey

**Best Audio Design**
Super Mario Odyssey

**Best Mobile Game**
Fire Emblem Heroes

**Best Handheld Game**
Metroid: Samus Returns

**Best Action Adventure Game**
Super Mario Odyssey (Kind of my way of making up for who I didn’t vote for in Game of the Year)

**Best Fighting Game**
Arms

**Best Family Game**
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Every Game listed here is great. I went with Kart because I believe it really is the best listed here to play with family from personal experience)

**Best Strategy**
Mario & Rabbids

**Best Multiplayer**
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (would have possibly picked Splatoon if it had local multiplayer, as in on the same game system)

**Best Debut Indie Game**
Golf Story

I don’t care about trending gamers or esports so I didn’t list those, along with some categories I just wasn’t familiar with at all.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...)

-John 3:16

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

Luna_110

I still haven’t finished either Odyssey or BotW...but among all I played, Odyssey until now is my GOTY, with Golf Story being my indie and great surprise of the year.

Massive backlogs are a gamer's worst enemy
Now playing: Bravely Default, Zelda Twilight Princess HD

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

StephenYap3

My Games of 2017

1) Super Mario Odyssey
2) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
3) Puyo Puyo Tetris
4) Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch
5) Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
6) Brave Dungeon (3DS)
7) Mighty Gunvolt Burst
8) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
9) Warriors All Stars
10) Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy

-Honorable Mentions-
Miitopia
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Metroid: Samus Returns
Super Bomberman R
Pokken Tournament DX

-Disappointment(s)-
Flip Wars (Never in all my life have I played a boring, barebones, generic, empty, and dysfunctional disaster of a multiplayer game. Even at $9.99, it still doesn't justify the price tag for one bit. The launch version of Super Bomberman R was much better than this)

Edited on by StephenYap3

StephenYap3

Anti-Matter

Me, Game of the Year 2017 :
1. Portal Knights (Switch)
2. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ( Switch)
4. Miitopia (3DS)
5. LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER (Switch)

Anti-Matter

Mrkim

In my opinion, the top three games of 2017 (out of the small handful that I have actually played):
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU/NS)
2. Twin Peaks: The Return (TV)
3. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

If I had a PS4 I'd be all over Persona 5. Based on what I've seen, it would have a solid chance of taking at least the number 3 spot.

Mrkim

Jrs15

Best Games of 2017:
5.Fire Emblem Warriors
4.Super Mario Odyssey
3.South Park The Fractured But Whole
2.Nier Automata
1.The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Best Games I Played in 2017:
10.Fire Emblem Warriors
9.Rocket League
8.Super Mario Odyssey