Forums

Topic: Your Games of the Year in 2016

Posts 21 to 40 of 65

Ralizah

@Operative From what I've seen, it's a really nice action-platformer. $10 is a steal.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

veeflames

I got the game for a dollar. Heh.
But yeah, I got the game since it's my kind of game and it's getting good reviews. Only time will tell if I didn't let my precious $1 go to waste.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Gamer83

@Operative
If you liked the first Jak & Daxter game you definitely want to give Ratchet & Clank a try.

Gamer83

Peek-a-boo

Ratchet & Clank should be a compulsory purchase when everybody buys a PlayStation 4, especially at ten-blooming-dollars!

Arguably the best looking game around too.

Untitled

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Gamer83

It was probably because it was on sale for $10 but when I was browsing Gamestop's website earlier and checked out the best sellers, Ratchet & Clank was topping the list. That was nice to see. I hope by the time Insomniac finishes up with Spider-Man PS4 the sales of R&C will justify another entry in the series, even it's just a Going Commando remake in the same vein as this one.

Gamer83

6ch6ris6

i think i didn't play any game this year that have actually been released this year. the demo of doom was cool, but my pc could barely handle it so i didn't buy the game.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Peek-a-boo

It's interesting to see that developers seemingly prefer indie games rather than the studio they are working at (and their) own line-up of games.

From Overwatch to Firewatch: the best video games of 2016 - chosen by developers.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/06/from-overw...

While Overwatch and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End were the favourable two big studio games, it was these five that ruled the roost:

• Firewatch (Campo Santo)
    Campo Santo’s rural drama was the undisputed hit of the year for our panel.
  • Overcooked (UI Digital)
    The fast-paced couch co-op game cooked up a storm with our developers.
  • Reigns (Devolver Digital)
    The clever mix of real-playing strategy and Tinder proved enticing.
  • Stardew Valley (Chucklefish)
    Chucklefish does it again with another genre-bending adventure.
  • Inside (Playdead)
    The makers of Limbo do it again with another dark but beautiful puzzle-platformer.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Those devs definitely know what they're talking about

It's also funny to see a dev from MM that worked on LBP and Tearaway list Dark Souls III as their game of the year. No obsession over age ratings, or the fabricated kids vs adult games debate. Cause you know, all games are just games in the end.

Octane

Sinister

I have only bought one game in 2016 that was originally released in 2016.
So my list is very short.

1. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Other games i bought this year were Pokémon Yellow, Shovel Knight and LoZ OoT 3D.
Was a very quit year for me.

Edited on by Sinister

3DS FC: 4553-9946-1131

JaxonH

TOP 10 Games of 2016
1 Final Fantasy XV [PS4/X1]
2 Fire Emblem Fates [3DS]
3 Gears of War 4 [X1]
4 Titanfall 2 [PS4/X1]
5 Monster Hunter Generations [3DS]
6 Forza Horizon 3 [X1]
7 Uncharted 4 [PS4]
8 Dark Souls 3 [PS4/X1]
9 The Last Guardian [PS4]
10 Dragon Quest VII [3DS]

Honorable Mentions

• DriveClub VR [PSVR]
  • Paper Mario Color Splash [Wii U]
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon [3DS]
  • Dragon Quest Builders [PS4/Vita]
  • World of Final Fantasy [PS4/Vita]

TOP 5 Ports/Remasters/Re-releases of 2016
1 Lost Odyssey [X1 (360 BC)]
2 Valkyria Chronicles Remastered [PS4]
3 Rise of the Tomb Raider [PS4]
4 Zelda Twilight Princess HD [Wii U]
5 Skyrim Remastered [PS4/X1]

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Whydoievenbother

Devil Daggers

I like this game just a little too much. The game puts the circle-strafing, rocket-jumping, arena-shooting gameplay of Quake and the atmospheric horror elements of modern horror games like Amnesia and even FNAF into an arcade framework, and all of the pieces just fit together so WELL!

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

TuVictus

@JaxonH lost Odyssey would be at or near the top of my favorite games ever made list. I wish we could get another game like that.

TuVictus

Peek-a-boo

Anybody watched the Easy Allies (formly the Gametrailers crew) GOTY picks?

I don't think there is anything I disagree with, which is quite rare!

The winner: - The Last Guardian.

Their 2nd and 3rd picks: - Final Fantasy XV and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End respectively.

And the other categories shown below.

• Best Shooter Campaign: DOOM
  • Best Shooter Multiplayer: Overwatch
  • Best Multiplayer: Overwatch
  • Best Soundtrack: Final Fantasy XV
  • Worth the Wait: Final Fantasy XV
  • Best Expansion: Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
  • Most Improved: World of Warcraft (due to the Legion expansion)
  • Best Monster Hunter: Monster Hunter Generations
  • Best Puzzler: The Witness
  • Best Shotgun: DOOM
  • Best Beta: Nioh
  • Best Remaster: Gravity Rush
  • Best RPG: Dark Souls III
  • Best Strategy: Civilisation VI
  • Most Surprising: Let It Die
  • Best Pre-Order Incentive: Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2
  • Best Owl: Rowlet

The entire show can be seen on their Twitch channel: - https://m.twitch.tv/easyallies/v/107302842#

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo It's the reason why they're the best in the biz! Won't disagree with that list either.

Octane

CanisWolfred

@Peek-a-boo I think its more that they had some easy shots this year. This is the first year in a long while where I didn't immediately hate more than 50% of the highly anticipated games that were publically shoved down everyone's throats harder than a 10-minute hotdog-eating contest in Tiajuana. There's hope for this industry yet.

Though, on that note, I nearly coughed up blood when I was forcibly reminded that The Witness exists. I guess I couldn't come up with any other notable "Puzzlers" from this year either, but winning by default hardly an honorable feat...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@CanisWolfred The Witness would still have won if it was called "Best Puzzle Game of all time"

Be patient young padawan, one day you'll learn the meaning of those coloured squares...

Octane

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

@CanisWolfred The Witness would still have won if it was called "Best Puzzle Game of all time"

Be patient young padawan, one day you'll learn the meaning of those coloured squares...

No. Because I'm not gonna play a puzzle adventure game that's just multiple variations of simple line puzzles. Even some of late-in gameplay footage made them look like the mini-games in a AAA release on the PS2. If I'm just gonna do the same damn thing all the time with minimal direction or story interaction, I'd be better off playing Tetris. I'd say "I can appreciate what its trying to do with the game world and atmosphere," but then it just ripped all that staight from Myst, and at least that game had an excessive variety to its puzzle structure.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

@CanisWolfred @Octane I'm not a fan of puzzle games, and I often purposely avoid them whenever I can however, since Braid was so blooming clever and a joy to figure out all by myself (on the Xbox 360) as well as The Witness having a vividly brilliant visual design, I decided to plump for it on a whim.

Ended up being my favourite game of the year until The Last Guardian came along, and since Octane and I were going through the game at roughly the same time earlier in the year, it felt extra special because of it, as I enjoy helping and figuring out puzzles with others.

It is also one of those rare game that wherever you stand on the island, it looks beautiful.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo I watched Easy Allies' GOTY stream too. I think The Last Guardian is honestly the only all-around feel good pick for game of the year. Every other possibility would have incensed someone. Not that they picked it because of that, of course, I just think it worked out well.

JaxonH wrote:

TOP 5 Ports/Remasters/Re-releases of 2016

Ha! I guess we'll have to start doing these, huh? I still have to finish a ton of 2016 games, so I'll write one of these lists for now. Mine will be in terms of the quality of the original games, not that of their update.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess — What game encapsulates "adventure" better? My absolute favorite game.
2) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim — 2/3 of my favorite games got a rerelease this year, this being my second favorite. Certainly best-designed open world game to date. Gotta get those dungeons in there!
3) Monster Hunter 4 — Let's be honest: Capcom milked four different releases out of the fourth generation of Monster Hunter. Still, Generations is an amazing game without peer in the realm of melee combat and boss battles.
4) Gravity Rush — I was interested in this game back in 2015, but I never would have played it were it not ported from Vita to PS4. Just a unique gameplay style and interesting, flawed narrative that no one else is doing.
5) Odin Sphere — Another beautiful Vanillaware game, now even more beautiful. The story and level design show some age, but it's still one of the rare worthy 2D games.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@CanisWolfred That's where you're objectively wrong though. I can't explain the game without spoiling it, and since that ruins a puzzle game, it's difficult to understand without playing the game. That's the best way to experience it. Cause one thing is sure, it's far more than some ''line puzzles''. I've heard the argument before; ''It looks like a free mobile game''. Whilst it is true that some of the individual puzzle panels could work in a mobile setting, the majority wouldn't be possible without the handcrafted world surrounding the puzzles. Most panels are intertwined with the environment and simply wouldn't work on its own.

To add to that, the game isn't filled with glitches or bugs, it runs smoothly. It looks good, sound is minimal, but does what it has to do. The controls are intuitive. The difficulty is perfect, just difficult enough that it makes your gears grind, but not impossible. The game is able to teach you several dozen mechanics without using any written or spoken words, something that more developers should take notice of in my opinion. And the world/level design? Those that have completed the game will agree with me, I still can't fathom how they managed to create that island and make it work. Everything lines up perfectly; every tree, pebble or flower exists for a reason. And after playing for around 50 hours or so, I still managed to find new secrets. Things that are so well hidden, but right in your face at the same time. I don't like to say this, but it's a game you need to experience to fully understand.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.