Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,721 to 9,740 of 11,914

Banjo-

@Ralizah Monster Hunter World has three modes, graphics (quality), resolution and performance and The Witcher 3 has a performance mode with uncapped frame rate and dynamic resolution scaling up to 4K.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Ralizah

@BlueOcean Nice. I wonder if those benefits will transfer over to PS5 as well? If the speculation that PS5 will only run current-gen stuff in a sort of PS4 Pro mode is correct, it could make Series X much more attractive when it comes to playing older games as well.

It'll be interesting to see DF compare and contrast the performance of these current-gen games on the more powerful next-gen hardware.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Banjo-

@Ralizah According to what has been leaked about PS5 backwards compatibility, it has three performance modes built in the CPU/GPU: PS5, PS4 Pro and PS4 so, unfortunately, PS4/Pro games won't benefit from playing on PS5.

However, it has been confirmed that Series X will use all of its power for backwards compatible games and Xbox One games so, as you said, Series X is much more attractive for older games, boosting frame rate and resolution to the maximum in games with uncapped frame rate or games that didn't hit the frame rate target on Xbox One S/X and/or have dynamic resolution scaling on Xbox One S/X.

It's going to be really interesting, indeed, what Digital Foundry finds out checking backwards compatible games that will get HDR and some of them double frame rate on Series X and Xbox One games that will get HDR and use all the power of the new console. Also, some of them will get ray tracing and ultra settings (Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4...) and/or double frame rate (Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Will of Wisps...).

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Ralizah the problem with Halo is 343 sucks and took far longer to make the game than it should have. The game was announced with x1xs launch. It was always expected to be an "x1x game" and they confirmed at the time it would run on x1. 343 dragged their feet and now we have a game announced for x1x that isn't even ready for x1xs replacement.

If it was to be a new gen game, they shouldn't have revealed it before there WAS a new gen to reveal it for. From my point of view it's a late x1 game with a free remaster for next gen. Not a "next gen"game. And that seemed to be their view as well until they started overhyping it for launch even though it wouldn't even have the "next gen"features at launch.

TECHNICALLY it should be like tlou2 and end the gen, but be available via bc and or smart update and a "remaster" (free for owners) next gen. The complete opposite of making it series x exclusive.

Sheesh, this whole generational launch is a bungled mess, Sony inclusive.

Phil brought home a retail XSeX for a proper unboxing. The things are done and sitting there. They're on shelves in 10-12 weeks. And they haven't even identified price. Sony hasn't revealed price or if they have any games beyond Spiderman dlc. ps4 had knack and a mediocre killzone. I'm not optimistic there. At this point Sega should launch a console. SaturnU: We have games.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean I still haven't set up that new monitor... Hopefully tomorrow! Hdr10 without local dimming and ips blacks isn't likely to impress, but I'm curious all the same. The display actually has it's own "pseudo hdr" enhancement mode. Those things are almost always terrible, but I'm curious. The display has 350nit brightness max. Way below "good" hdr. And no local dimming. But even 350 is beyond eye searing at that distance anyway. I'd cut the backlight in half just to start!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah if ps5 only runs ps4 games in pro mode it makes x1x more attractive than ps5 for older games, let alone XSeX.

With the exception of one or two games from Sony obsessive studios (Tekken 7.....) X1x runs circles around my pro for current gen games, and runs circles around x1s for 360 games. That's why i need XSeX no matter what because if the upgrade to my entire library, but that would be hysterical if the x1x i already have already stomps ps5 for my existing library.

Then again sony patched the ability to boost unsupported ps4 games on pro after launch do they could do the same with ps5.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Laser eye surgery and OLED TV next time! 😂 No, seriously. I'm not joking.

I cracked up when I read this on Pure Xbox:

NEStalgia wrote:

I wonder if they'll replace this one in 3 years with XBox SeXY and treat that as a new gen part of the SeX family

Banjo-

Dezzy

Man I forgot how repetitive Halo 1 gets in the second half. This game definitely doesn't deserve the 97% metacritic score it got. I think a lot of people were just impressed by the novelty of a shooter that felt like it was something completely new.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Justifier

@Dezzy
Yeah. The game is very good until flood comes. And environments are recycled.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean LOL. Not a chance on the laser thing....I'm faaaar too squeemish, and unlucky to take risks on such things

You know, people keep telling me the "fake" HDR on HDR400 monitors sucks....but honestly, it's beautiful! I got the screen set up and everything looks amazing. I'll take a raincheck on that OLED....it's great and all, but these things have come a long way in a short amount of time. IPS isn't great for fans of horror where everything is pitch black all the time, but other than that, the contrast is just fine, and it's retina burning as-is. Don't need more contrast than that when sitting close. The Switch main menu burns my eyes with all that white. I tested FFXV, MHW, AC: Sparta....it all looks fantastic. Even "fake" HDR without local dimming really enhances things with 10 bit color. Sure it's only a 60hz panel and "120 is right around the corner", but how many games even on XSeX are really going to push past 4k60HDR? Not many. I imagine it'll be like performance mode vs resolution mode again to go over 60. I tried HzD, GoW, and Spiderman as well - my iffy PS4 Pro started cutting out again...but I replaced the cable and it might be fine now (those green "Flex" Mediabridge cables are pure garbage, I've lost 3 of them.) It all looks gorgeous.

The unit does support freesync, but as expected, even my brand new HDMI switching stuff gets in the way. My one auto-switch? Loses signal every time I try to send 4k...even though it boasts 4k UHD on the front of it. My mirror splitter with scaler? Freesync doesn't appear as supported on the X1 through it. My 4x2 Matrix everything works, but I lose the signal if I enable freesync on the monitor. If I plug the console in directly, then it all works together including HDR+Freesync. HDMI switching equipment is a joke. So now I have to search for matrix switches that support freesync. None of the $50 ones seem to, the $300 ones are only 4k30, and I'm not buying a $1200 switch that costs more than the console and display combined. So I CAN have 4k60/HDR/Freesync, but apparently I have to give up Freesync going through the switches/repeater. At least for now. And I'll ignore the existence of 120 for now. I doubt it means much this gen.

Who needs a new console? My existing one looks a lot better now

@Dezzy: yeah, Halo 1 ends after 343 Guilty Spark. The Library is like a Doom mod, and everything after that is just going through the game backwards, but worse. And it doesn't help that most of the environments are uninteresting mazes of the same 3 rooms in rotating squences. It shows its age.

But the game's rep was built on Silent Cartographer, and Silent Cartographer alone. It was the first experience of "open world gaming" before "open world gaming" actually existed.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

The first outdoor area feels vaguely open-worldy too.

Halo 2 wasn't this bad was it? I didn't remember Halo 1 being like this at all for some reason. I did play it pretty close to release though. Longggg time ago now.

Edited on by Dezzy

NEStalgia

@Dezzy Oh absolutely. Pillar of Autumn was a good entrance, introduced the rich sci-fi world at at time when sci-fi shows/space operas were still huge on TV, and it had a very Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda feel to it, including the ship names and such. And Cortana which was more or less a copypaste of Rommy. Then the rest of the level was the same corridor over and over and over again. It got boring and felt samey already. It introduced Sarge though...that was a high point.

Halo (the chapter) was the big one. Out of the cramped ship that felt like every other shooter it drops you into a huge blue world.....with open movement in almost any direction. And then drop ships arrive. That's the moment it felt special. That continued into Truth and Reconciliation at which point it fell apart into the halls of the same ship room over and over and over (and over (and over)).

Silent Cartographer then gives one of the best game levels in the history of gaming.

Then you get let down with Assault on the Control Room........the same room over and over and over (and over (and over))

343 Guilty Spark introduces a new character, mystery, intrigue, freakish bodies of your enemies before you got there....zombies WTF.....

And then you get to the Library and it just makes the rest of the game a Doom mod. And you retread through all the previous areas (with the same room over and over (and over (and over)) Now with 100% more zombies! &Knuckles.

They did amazing things with that game, but also some of the worst tropes in gaming of the time. 2 doubled down on "our audience loves the Flood!" (No, we don't.) 3 finally built an awesome Halo from cover to cover, along with ODST.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Dezzy If you figure, what were other shooters doing around 2000? Corridors and hallways. Half-Life 1 was groundbreaking. It was still corridors and hallways, shoot everything until ammo runs dry, then hack at them. Quake II was almost passe - corridors. Q3A and UT were the hot sauce. Open fields. Big empty open flat terrain with nothing but other shooters to shoot at to rack up kills. Shoot at them until ammo runs dry, then hack at them.

Halo CE was longer than it needed to be. Padded by re-used areas, and endless corridors. But the open areas were truly open, with vehicles and doing whatever. And combat...limited ammo, 2 weapons to carefully choose and procure on site, melee....tactical encounters with limited resources and tactical enemies that don't just track you like a GPS and run after you until you kill them. (Ok, the Flood did that which is why they break the game....) The flavor of what experience it gave us even in a few levels never wears off the same way Mario 64 never wears off for anyone that played it in the day because "wow, Mario in 3D!" Even though in hindsight it was pretty weak in most areas. It was amazing and unique and a total new way to think of shooters when it came out (and most modern shooters, which have regenerative health instead of pickups ow it to Halo). But, yeah, today, even compared to Halo 3....Halo 1 was REEAAALLYY repetitive. It's hard to play today because we're not wowed anymore, and the cracks really show.

Halo 2: FLOOD: The game.

It seems like there was split thinking at Bungie. The real core of Halo is the deep war with the convenant. The whole idea of the forefunners and the rings dealing with the Flood is an interesting sci-fi plot, but it doesn't produce gameplay that jives with what Halo is. Flood could have been interesting if they were limited to just a level here and there to spice the backstory as to what the menace really is. But hours of shooting at Flovenant zombies gets old and deprives you of of the gameplay that makes the series special. The series DOES need more convenant enemies than just the few types though.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ninfan

that new battletoads game has no online play. thats not great.

Ninfan

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

@Dezzy If you figure, what were other shooters doing around 2000? Corridors and hallways. Half-Life 1 was groundbreaking. It was still corridors and hallways, shoot everything until ammo runs dry, then hack at them.

Goldeneye was probably the closest to starting that FPS adventure genre. Halo is a bit better at getting that sense of scale though.

Peach64

I don't know what the current plan is, but MS should be doing everything they can to get Flight Sim ready for Series X launch. It's a proper next gen wow game, the sort that you just don't see anymore.

Peach64

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I'm honestly happy that you feel like that about your new monitor . I understand, if you sit close to it, the brightness doesn't need to be high, it makes sense. HDR is indeed wonderful. About contrast, that's exactly why I love OLED and I would never go back to LED no matter what fancy names Samsung makes up for it, e.g., QLED.

For free sync, you need a proper HDMI cable, I don't know the specific name because Xbox One X includes one. Are you using HDMI to connect the console directly to your monitor or it doesn't support HDMI? You lost me.

Regarding PS4, my PS4 has the following issues:
· It sounds like a jet engine playing any game.
· Ejects discs randomly, thus closing games automatically without saving (I cut the rubber around the eject button but it didn't work). Fortunately, I have beaten all my PS4 games already, I just started playing Knack II which is the last one I got (for free).
· Random signal cut-out. I think this is the same that happens to you, right? Was it solved when you replaced the HDMI cable? What do you think that happens exactly? Is it the console? Is it the cable? If it's the cable why only PS4 does this?

About Halo games, I have played 1 and 2 on MCC. I kind of liked them both but not all the parts. The worst parts are when I got lost and didn't know where to go and what to do. There's a part in Halo 1 with a building in where everything looks the same and you have to go deeper that I didn't like. There's a part in Halo 2 where I walked the same path (an icy stage) and I had no clue how to exit, there are parts connected but they all looked the same. The best bits of both games are where you can use some strategy because of the different enemies that are easily recognisable and those open-world scenes that you mentioned.

Banjo-

Banjo-

Dezzy wrote:

NEStalgia wrote:

@Dezzy If you figure, what were other shooters doing around 2000? Corridors and hallways. Half-Life 1 was groundbreaking. It was still corridors and hallways, shoot everything until ammo runs dry, then hack at them.

Goldeneye was probably the closest to starting that FPS adventure genre. Halo is a bit better at getting that sense of scale though.

With this, I agree. Goldeneye basically invented shooters other than Doom-style.

Peach64 wrote:

I don't know what the current plan is, but MS should be doing everything they can to get Flight Sim ready for Series X launch. It's a proper next gen wow game, the sort that you just don't see anymore.

It's the only next-gen game that is ready for launch so they should release it on Series X in November. I mean, Spider-Man is not a next-game at all.

Banjo-

Octane

Peach64 wrote:

They should launch Flight SIM on PS4 if they want the game to be successful. It's going to be a much better experience on PS4, because only PS4 can provide the actual sound effects of a jet engine.

Octane

Banjo-

Octane wrote:

Peach64 wrote:

They should launch Flight SIM on PS4 if they want the game to be successful. It's going to be a much better experience on PS4, because only PS4 can provide the actual sound effects of a jet engine.

Indeed. Seriously, I forgot about how loud it is because I had not used it in a while but playing Knack II on it yesterday reminded me of the jet engine sound. My PS4 always seems like it's about to explode.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic