Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,601 to 9,620 of 11,914

Anti-Matter

I want to ask about getting Xbox 360 Slim model or E model whether i can get either of them someday or maybe next year.
Do i need to connect with internet to get the latest update for Xbox 360?
Do you think it is very late to play Xbox 360 on year 2021?

Anti-Matter

BruceCM

But you'd still have to get the update online.... & have a PC? Surely easier to connect the console directly to the internet

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Didn't DOOM, one of the important games ever made, start out as shareware?

Anyway, I grew up in the mid-to-late 90s, so my conception of what a game is was obviously fashioned around that time. Boxed cartridges or CDs you insert into a console.

But times change, and one has to either change with them or become irrelevant. To some extent, at least. I adapted to streaming my movies and anime, but if video game streaming becomes the norm, I'm going full oldfart and becoming a pure retrogamer.

Anyway, as has been stated, it's probably less of an "expansion" and more of a spinoff game. It'll likely be a complete experience, appreciable on its own, with a beginning, middle, and end. And it's clearly one that's taking advantage of the increased specs of the PS5. Sony has always done it that way. EVERYONE has. No reason to expect them to stop making exclusives just become Microsoft decided to blur the lines with the Series X (which aren't particularly blurry anyway, because by the time most of that new stuff they're working on comes out, it likely won't support the older Xbox One hardware to begin with).

RE: Gaming and affordability, if the Series S is a thing, I could see it being a big deal for gamers in lower economic tiers. A few hundred dollars for the console + GamePass is more than enough to happily subsist on. I find that to be a much more compelling proposition than their current "MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVER!!!!!111 13TF!!!!" marketing that only matters to so-called elitist gamers anyway.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Played quite a bit of that, single-player, @DarthNocturnal .... How far have you got with investigating, then?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Octane

@BlueOcean It's a shorter game, and sort-off a sequel. Yes, I agree about that. It's not the next Spider-Man II obviously. Can't say it's rushed though. I haven't seen enough of it.

Octane

Banjo-

By rushed I mean that Sony obviously don't have enough time to have a full next-gen game ready for PS5 launch so they are releasing Miles Morales (glorified DLC) and Astro's Playroom (mini games compilation). Microsoft is releasing a huge cross-gen game.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Trouble is when times have changed too many times in one lifetime, too fast, eventually you're no longer able to keep changing... Eventually you reach the point that your view is fixed and you can't keep double thinking through every "New Truth" presented to you, and the world either has to deal with it, or you have to cram it up their rear... Thus the culture war.

That said, it isn't a universal application. I don't see streaming and gamepass as the only future in games simply because technical limits prevent it from teaching ideal and the entire market. If not for that, I wouldn't mind entirely. Ironically streaming is an unfair system that benefits us, the power users, at the expense of the masses that don't buy many games. The masses are paying our way, and for the cost of 3 retail games a year we get to play dozens. (Speaking of game pass ultimate with xcloud.). It's actually an evil system, but we're kind of the beneficiaries. Then again, game rentals of all those AAA games are normal for me. RIP West Coast Video...... I'll forever remember renting Kid Icarus for 18 whole hours..........

The problem with MM isn't that it isn't going to be "complete". Or enjoyable. It's that's it's an addon for an existing game, not a successor, that they're holding hostage behind new hardware, for no actual game related reason but to abuse the goodwill of their fans and glue mandatory ps5 graphics into it, and then hype it as a launch title after spending the past 2.5 years saying there not presenting anything for ps4 and are focused on ps5 launch titles......... And the only thing they have to show for it at launch is a freaking expansion pack for the last huge ps4 game they showcased.

And fans are so deep into their Sony Stockholm Syndrome they're celebrating this..... And insulting the big huge game MS showed because the gfx aren't fancy enough for a new console??

If Matrick had pulled that, the internet would have exploded. If Nintendo had done it there would be endless rants about Nintendo being a rip off with no games. If Sony does it we celebrate the power of generations.

As for Halo...i remember there WAS one poster here that hated a game for being held back by being cross generation (and blaming the new generation for the problem) with botw...... That poster was Sliggy.....

@blueocean to be fair and play both sides, Sony spent 2 years preparing games for ps5 launch and ignoring ps4, and only has dlc with a gfx patch to show for it. MS is basically releasing the x1x Halo with an XSeX patch. NEITHER company actually has a single 9th gen game at launch. Even EA had no battlefield to show yet.... Just a prerender saying their working on it. It feels like Nintendo launching wiiu all over again. We'll have games... But these new gen ones take sooooo loong....Why are they launching consoles when neither of them is ready?? And is years away from being ready? These things will be obsolete before the first game made for them arrives. Then we'll get another Pro/X debacle where the launch models were price compromised, and the real next gen needs a boost. This is going to be a messy as last gen.

If switch 2 renders 4k hdr, it might as well win the generation

Edit: Doom: id always had shareware versions available..... And they sold you the darned disk. . I paid $15 for the quake shareware disc.... Though it was the full game and you unlocked it if you paid. So an aaa demo that you pay for.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Octane

@BlueOcean I don't think we know the full launch line-up to be fair (of either company). Rumours are saying that the PS5 will also launch with GT7. And who knows when R&C is coming.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia I think launching early comes down to 2 things:

1. Games are starting to run badly on current gen systems, especially the original 2013 models. Need more power to be able to run games well like Monster Hunter World, RDR2, etc.

2. Nintendo - Releasing new consoles are Sony and Microsoft only chance of taking attention away from the Switch's gigantic success. New consoles means 3rd parties start to abandon Switch because of the increased power gap which means the Switch becomes essentially a 1st party machine. Hence it crumbles under Nintendo's inability to release 1st party games on a reliable schedule (2017 would be an example of a reliable 1st party schedule). Nintendo will have taken this into account to some extent like a release a new Switch model or 2020 lineup being barren so 2021 can be a 2017-esque year.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The so-called "culture war" is ideological, not generational, so I don't agree with that at all.

With that said, society continually changes, and people have to change along with it or become obsolete. That's what "survival of the fittest" ACTUALLY entails when it comes to biological evolution, and I imagine it's the same when it comes to social evolution as well.

Anyway, in what world is Sony ignoring the PS4? They literally just launched two of their biggest games of the generation within the last two months, and have been consistently supplying the system with exciting first-party software. Most of it isn't to my liking, but they're doing very right by their fans. Microsoft is the only company that can't seem to figure out consistent first-party game development.

And yes, MM has PS5 graphics. New consoles generally have games that look like they'd require new hardware to run (not Microsoft with Halo, apparently, but I believe we've whipped that animal already). Again, this is literally how the industry has always conducted itself. You can't really pretzel logic that into being a bad thing just because you don't want to have to buy a PS5 to play a new Spider-Man game. Whether it's a $59.99 "true successor" or a $39.99 spinoff is irrelevant. It's a new game that likely wouldn't even be able to run in its current form on the older console.

RE: BotW and Switch holding it back... I mean, I understand the complaint. Sliggy was probably mad that the promised Gamepad-centric features didn't make it into the final product because of the changes they made when they decided it'd be a Switch launch game. I think they made the right decision, but I also get where he was coming from. They did kinda gimp the Wii U version so that it didn't outshine the one on the shinier new console. He was a big time Wii U stan, so that had to have hurt.

RE: Switch 2 being 4K HDR... it's not happening. Not if it's still a hybrid system. And even if it isn't, Nintendo isn't going to be pumping money into a 4K capable console. 4K is, IMO, a massive waste of resources, and it requires powerful hardware to pull off even faux-4K checkerboarding stuff that the PS4 Pro was accomplishing.

This is one reason I'm looking forward to a possible Series S. A console with the other next-gen upgrades, but sans the oversized GPU needed to hit ridiculous pixel counts? Sounds like an amazing design choice.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Anyway, I see some rumours they'll reveal Lockhart in August .... That'd be good, to finally find out just what the differences will be! I'd hope both will be available with & without disc-drives, since that's not supposed to be the only difference otherwise

SW-4357-9287-0699

Grumblevolcano

@BruceCM I think it'll be a giant reveal of content around August 27th (digital Gamescom) like:

• Lockhart reveal, price and date
  • Series X price and date
  • Backwards compatibility info
  • The future of Gold
  • Halo Infinite multiplayer gameplay debut
  • Launch window lineup
  • A few further away titles like whatever The Initiative is working on

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Yeah, I didn't mean it would only be Lockhart, @Grumblevolcano .... You still think they're basically scrapping Live Gold, too? IE, you wouldn't pay just for online multi-player but you wouldn't get Deals or Games with Gold, going forwards If they do that, would they also reduce the GamePass Ultimate price?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Grumblevolcano

@BruceCM I think they'll keep Deals but as a Game Pass Ultimate exclusive, Games With Gold disappears but the ones already obtained become permanent entitlements like it already is for OG Xbox and Xbox 360. As for price, I think it'll be the same as Ultimate swaps Games With Gold and paid online for xCloud and maybe something else.

Grumblevolcano

BruceCM

Yeah, it's those sorts of details they'll need to cover, anyway .... I'm not bothered about XCloud but I'm enjoying enough of the GamePass stuff to be glad that's staying & seems to be expanding

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

With that said, society continually changes, and people have to change along with it or become obsolete. That's what "survival of the fittest" ACTUALLY entails when it comes to biological evolution, and I imagine it's the same when it comes to social evolution as well.

Lol was this a discussion about new entertainment hardware?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I agree, I don't think that people should accept every new "truth" presented by the society, we'd be sheep and slaves. The great thing about Xbox is that you are free to choose.

You're right, if Microsoft or Nintendo would have done a Miles Morales as the new-generation launch game, as the means to sell a new-generation console, they'd be heavily criticised but they criticise Microsoft instead for the graphics of a huge cross-gen game which is what Nintendo does since 2006.

Nintendo was clever and delayed Breath of the Wild so they could have a big same-gen game (Wii U and Switch belong to the same generation). Nintendo knows they can't do what they did with 3DS and Wii U but I was shocked to see their 2020 lineup considering they only have to support one console since 2017. Will they release new hardware or will they sell killer games in 2021...?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ralphdibny

PureXbox have an article about some free games in different regions, possibly due to a glitch. I'll post this here and on push square in case anyone missed it.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/08/various_old_xbox_games_...

Apparently you can just log into the other region stores and remote install them onto your xbox (which I did and can confirm it works) but I don't know how long it'll work for and I can't read Japanese so pls don't blame me if you buy something with Yen!

This Reddit page has links to the games on different stores:

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic