Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,561 to 9,580 of 9,585

NEStalgia

@Ralizah That's shocking to hear you say! You've been a pretty dedicated PS fan so far.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Not really.

I owned a 360 and Wii last gen. I love my Vita, but always used my 3DS a lot more. And, as I've said here many, many times, Sony's exclusives are often too Western and "cinematic" for my liking, and I generally wait on games (like DQXI) to see if they'll get a Switch version.

I love the Dualshock 4, and my opinion stands that Sony is well-equipped to dominate the traditional home console space with the PS5, as they've done almost continuously since they first entered the gaming market in the 90's, but I haven't been a dedicated PS fan since 2007 or so.

As a portable gamer and fan of Japanese game design, Nintendo is the only company I've been consistently faithful to for the last decade or so.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Well, I've said a few times, I currently HOPE Sony dominates again. As long as that's status quo MS keeps aiming to provide value

But yeah, i do tend to favor Japanese game design more times than not as well, which keeps me less engaged with anything other than Nintendo than I always expect. These days though it's almost a coin toss with sony and ms.... And strangely Sony seems bent on actively rejecting Japan while MS seems intent on actively courting Japan... At least devs, if not consumers. Interesting times...

NEStalgia

XBontendo

NEStalgia wrote:

i do tend to favor Japanese game design more times than not as well

Until just this generation I'd have agreed with you. I don't know what clicked, but I've been favouring western games a lot more recently (ie Outer Worlds/Pillars of Eternity/Cuphead/Doom)

Nintendo's been scratching any Japanese Game design itches I've had, but the western world has really been picking up in the "decent games" department.

XBox id: owendershot | Switch friend code: I don't remember, these codes are crazy, I'll check later.

BlueOcean

Super Mario 64 was amazing (personally, a child-favourite) and nobody on Nintendo Life is going to argue that but I know many people that think that Banjo-Kazooie was better, myself included. What I'm trying to say is that I love Western (US, UK, EU) games but also classic Japanese games like older Nintendo games, Final Fantasy (more games available on Xbox than on PS4), Dragon Quest (DS, 3DS and waiting for an Xbox version of XI), Project Zero and Resident Evil. Modern Japanese games? Not so much but there are exceptions: Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X... Not all Japanese games appeal to me but some do. It's not black or white.

I honestly believe that Nintendo's modern games are worse than they used to be because the developers and the priorities are not the same. For example, Super Mario Odyssey is a good game but plays it safe and it's flat and boring. Mario Kart 8? I bought it on Wii U (with the DLC) and Switch (paying again ) and still think that it's the most boring Mario Kart game but better than the chaotic Mario Kart Wii. Breath of the Wild? The worst 3D Zelda. Of course, this is just my unpopular opinion (risky to say on NL), however I find many people that agree with me. Nintendo now plays it safe, it's a safe games factory. Why do I say this? Because games are less challenging and less creative (with exceptions). My favourite modern Nintendo games are made by somebody else (Intelligent Systems, Next Level Games, Monolith Soft...). So when it comes to Nintendo, I know I might be disappointed and although I can't let go, I am not as involved as when I was a kid with a Nintendo 64 that gave me what I really couldn't find elsewhere. Yes, I love Nintendo but I used to love it more before. Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild have showed me that Nintendo has changed for the worse. I love Wii U because it gave some unique games and backwards compatibility but all that Switch can give me is a few exclusive games that still are as good as older games and those are not Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild but probably the ones I haven't bought yet: Luigi's Mansion 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

Now that Kingdom Hearts is/will be on Xbox, the only PS exclusive I keep playing is Wipeout Omega Collection but I also downloaded Redout on Xbox on a sale for a few pounds and I like it too (better than Fast and as good as Wipeout). PS exclusives this generation are basically cinematic experiences that are great as films but not so great as games. For example, the Uncharted games have superb voice acting, nice visuals (but not as good as Tomb Raider) and a good script (certainly, better than Tomb Raider) but at the end of the day gameplay is mediocre (action and shooting segments are awful and the camera is so-so) and I believe that the Tomb Raider games are much better overall in spite of the weird script and Lara's monologues. On the other hand, I have had much more fun playing Xbox's exclusive games and the controller and platform are much more enjoyable. Taking into account the fact that more and more games are coming to Xbox, PS importance seem smaller and smaller. Unless Nintendo becomes third party I'll need a Nintendo console but now that every or almost every third-party game looks and plays better on Xbox and Microsoft's exclusive games are more fun and enjoyable than Sony's then it's easy to see that I find myself playing on Xbox One X the most and even sold PS4 games to get the Xbox One version. For me Square Enix and Capcom are very important and so are Nintendo, Rare and other Microsoft's studios and some Western studios.

In conclusion, not everybody likes Sony's exclusives the most even after playing them and owning a PS4 but people keep underestimating Microsoft's exclusives without playing them or keep mentioning stone age failed projects like Scalebound that Platinum was not able to manage as paradigm of what Microsoft is in 2020.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

redd214

Series 2 Elite Controller is $20 off on Amazon US if you have Prime!

redd214

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I don't want Sony to dominate the way they have been. They need competition to keep them humble. All of these companies are the same way.

Anyway, MS won't get anywhere with Japan, aside from the usual big multiplat releases. MS has tried for more than a decade to court the Japanese market, and they're just not having it. Even with Sony's almost active hostility to Japanese developers these days, most of the notable third parties there still worship at Sony's feet. It's very weird.

@XBontendo In fairness, Cuphead's game design is very Eastern insofar as it's deeply inspired by classic Japanese run'n'gun games.

It definitely feels like there has been a large revival of the WRPG format this gen, though, and I'm very happy about that.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I agree on Japanese consumers, so far (we'll see though...if MS fixes their messaging while Sony breaks there's, we'll see which console is the "Western" one in 5 years), but I disagree on developers. We're seeing MS actively courting at least major Japanese developers, and we're seeing, at least major Japanese developers coming over to XBox and PC in droves. Sure there's those PS holdouts usually from smaller very niche developers, but I think that era is fading, and most of those holdouts made most of their fame on Sony handhelds first and foremost. While I don't think those devs are going to move to XBox, I expect they're going to abandon Sony like the plague and become Nintendo-only over the coming years. Barring Falcom for whatever reason. Their market was PS handheld. Now it's Nintendo. And that lets them reach their niche in the west which is increasingly not Playstation's audience.

So the PS vs XBox argument really comes down to big J-devs targeting the west, and the big Western devs. And mostly the marketing. Niche J-stuff inevitably will go to Nintendo next gen. Vita's gone. PS5 wants to be a PC competitor with XBox. Neither PS5 nor XSEX will be terribly appealing for niche Japanese games. Meanwhile, Switch is Vita 2, but people in the West actually buy them and it's manufacturer remembers it exists.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

Meanwhile, Switch is Vita 2, but people in the West actually buy them and it's manufacturer remembers it exists.

Ouch, shots fired...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The Xbox versions of a lot of those games might as well not exist in Japan. Their increased presence on Xbox/PC is mostly for the benefit of Western gamers.

I will admit that Japanese support is FAR less lopsided than it was early in the gen, though, with Sega and S-E now doing more to actively support the Xbox platform. Still, while Falcom is more stubborn than most, their attitude isn't exactly rare among Japanese developers. Sony going full bald eagle has really confused the nationalistic tendencies of the Japanese game industry. And, yeah, the consumers are even more of a hurdle.

The funny thing (considering my history in this thread) is that, considering I'll likely be building a Win10 desktop to play AAA games on soon, I'll soon be only one Game Pass subscription and an XSEX controller away from being almost fully invested in their next-gen infrastructure anyway.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Anti-Matter

If Xbox X still using Online checking to play games, i guarantee it will be DEAD in Indonesia.
Xbox is a DEAD brand in Indonesia.
Almost NO ONE thinking about Xbox stuffs in Indonesia.
Indonesia is still a PlayStation worshipper with Nintendo as the second.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Of course. But keep in mind the relevance of the Japanese games market is shrinking to almost nil for whatever reason, which is why Sony is running away from it expediently, and whatever market does exist in Japan is a near-monopoly for Nintendo. Today each and everybody that buys an XBox gets a personal visit and 5 hour play session with Phil Spencer as a national hero.....all 10 of them. Annually. Sure. I don't think XBox numbers are going to magically gain a boost with XSEX. XCloud, however, maybe might see some inroads. But more to the point, I think with PS5 Sony numbers are going to look a lot more like XBox numbers. Not as dreary, but not numbers like the past, either. Who will care about the very western powerhouse graphics focused consoles there? They barely cared about the old ones at this point.

Meanwhile in Japan....
Untitled

Sony has painted a very clear picture that they are not a Japanese company anymore this gen. Remember the delayed PS4 launch. It caught up, but it caught up only because Nintendo faceplanted and Vita was abandoned. I'm not sure that will benefit XBox much in Japan, but I think it will benefit developer interest in "all the platforms of the West" rather than "Sony that's big at home." For Japanese consumers, I think PS5 will join XBox with dismal numbers, and I think streaming will become a lot more popular than powerhouse consoles there faster than here because it fits their lifestyle and internet abilities, but all of that will be dwarfed by Switch there.

Haha, but, yeah, Win10, GP, Play Anywhere, and a controller (doesn't even need to be an XSEX controller, X1 controllers are supported on both IIRC) it pretty much is a full XBox ecosystem, indeed! ;

@Anti-Matter XBox One doesn't use online checking to play games, and it's unlikely Series X will either. That was the proposed plan during the Don Mattrick era that consumers very loudly rejected and they backpedaled before the X1 even launched. That's why you needed the day 1 patch on the original XBox One - it removed the requirements for Kinect and online checks for disc based games.

For digital games, DLC, etc it works exactly as it does on PS4 and Switch, as do physical games. Your "home xbox" (Primary console) does not need to check online for your digital/DLC content, same as Switch and PS4. There are no checks for physical games, same as for Switch and PS4.

They did intend to do it as you suggest, but they undid that (stupid) requirement before the machine was even for sale due to customer backlash.

But I doubt the situation in many countries, including Indonesia will reverse in terms of PS dominance, regardless.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
"That's why you needed the day 1 patch on the original XBox One - it removed the requirements for Kinect and online checks for disc based games."

So, how about Xbox One S ?
Is Xbox One S still counted as Original model of Xbox One / Xbox One Fat and still need Day 1 Patch to remove Online checking ?

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter You don't need to patch the machine specifically for that reason anymore, however you do need to be online for the first setup for the sole reason of creating/tying your machine to your account and registering it as the "primary" (And to patch the OS to a version compatible with talking to the servers to do so.) Much like a Windows PC or Android/iPhone. After you do that you never have to put it online again, though.

So no, you don't need a day 1 patch to remove online checking, but you do need to log in online to activate the console and patch it to the current version to connect to the servers to do so. So if you don't have internet the day you buy your console, you wouldn't be able to set it up. But after that you don't have to have internet to use it.

NEStalgia

BlueOcean

Yes, Japanese adore Sony in spite of Sony being controversial this gen but Microsoft's purpose was never make Xbox One popular in Japan but bring Japanese games to the the Xbox platform worldwide. This was evident to me the way Phil Spencer worded his journey to Japan after playing that cool Dragon Ball game and also when he (or somebody else) negotiated the Final Fantasy games for Game Pass and how he knew that people wanted more Japanese games. He wasn't talking about Japanese playing on Xbox One LOL. All those important Japanese developers are developing for Xbox/Windows while the small weird Japanese stuff will likely go to Nintendo (or Steam?). Microsoft might find a place in Japan but not with Series X but with xCloud. While Switch is popular in Japan, if I remember correctly, Japan is the region where more people play on phones and they have a phone gaming tradition of sorts.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Yes, I agree. Phil's been very explicit about getting more Japanese developers on board as a goal. And to me it was a big message when Squeenix and Capcom have been very very visibly present, if not prioritizing, XBox's shows over Sony's recently. And I imagine that's a big, big message to a big portion of Japanese developers. Conversely if EA started prioritizing Nintendo shows over the others, other Western developers would take notice and start rethinking on Nintendo support. Getting the beta for PSO2 was no small message.

Honestly no company is courting Japanese gamers right now except Nintendo. It's a shrinking market, and no company is too interested in focusing much money or focus onto a shrinking market. Neither MS nor Sony. Nintendo does, because they're a virtual monopoly there for what market there is.

And regarding Falcom, I have no idea what they're thinking. They're not a big enough studio to be able to get anything meaningful out of "next gen" systems, and their main market which was always domestic PSP/Vita players is all on Nintendo now. I think a lot of those small Japanese niche developers are seeing domestic numbers drop and think salvation is targeting a huge Western audience via Playstation's popularity without fully realizing current Playstation's audience is the "dudebro" audience and doesn't have much preference to those niche games anymore....which is all on Nintendo, worldwide. I think those studios will realize that after PS5/XSEX launches, though, and Nintendo will probably actively court them more.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@BlueOcean @NEStalgia Switch + xCloud would probably be Japan's perfect combo if the last few 3rd parties moved away from Sony exclusivity like if Atlus put main series Persona on the Switch.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia There are things that Microsoft has done this generation that are truly remarkable: free backwards compatibility, Xbox One Elite controller, bring back (main) Japanese developers, create dedicated and good-priced powerful gaming hardware, offer a choice of subscription or purchase, lots of good digital deals, set up the 15 Xbox Game Studios... Like you said, competition has stimulated all this but Phil's personality has much to do with it in my opinion. Series X seems like a continuation of Xbox One X and xCloud a continuation of Play Anywhere. I guess that Sony will focus on cinematic single-player games and they will try hard to make many PS4 users upgrade as soon as possible before they realise what's right or wrong about PS5... Actually, they said they're going to try that. I wonder how this is going to work for them. Is the power of a digital PS4 library enough for those that jumped from Xbox 360 to PS4? Will those people jump back to Series X or to Windows, perhaps?

BlueOcean

Anti-Matter

@BlueOcean
"There are things that Microsoft has done this generation that are truly remarkable: free backwards compatibility"

Nonsense.
Their BC is just Partial BC which NOT every OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games can be played on Xbox One.
Xbox One cannot play DDR ultramix 1-4 from OG Xbox, DDR universe 1-3 from Xbox 360, Dance Evolution and Kinect games from Xbox 360.
If Xbox BC cannot even play those games, i'm sorry but their BC is suck.
I would rather get a machine that can play previous gen games by disc emulating like PS2 / Wii / Wii U without licence update that occured on Xbox machines in order to play previous gen games.

My Top 6 games :

BlueOcean

@Anti-Matter What are you doing here? You always say that Xbox is not for you and all your comments are negative so I'm genuinely curious why you keep posting the same things over and over again on the only Xbox thread. We need resident shrink @Eel here again to find out...

BlueOcean

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic