Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,221 to 9,240 of 11,914

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX If Microsoft revealed the date too early, it could be used against them. Look how the hype went from Series X to PS5 back in May, while the May Inside Xbox event was bad it was the Unreal Engine 5 demo on PS5 which really allowed PS5 to take the spotlight.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano Another fair point, I actually agree with that.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

rockodoodle

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think it's important to remember what is important to Microsoft and that is Game Pass subscription numbers, everything Microsoft has done with Xbox recently has been an attempt to increase Game Pass subscription numbers. Not releasing Halo Infinite for XB1 would do the opposite of that as some people who don't plan to upgrade would cancel renewing their Game Pass subscription if the XB1 version of Halo Infinite was cancelled.

• Banjo in Smash -> Buy a XB1 and get Game Pass to play Rare Replay
  • Ori released for Switch -> Buy XB1 or PC and get Game Pass to experience the sequel
  • xCloud being a part of Game Pass -> Buy Game Pass
  • Releasing all Xbox Game Studios games on Game Pass at launch since it started -> Buy Game Pass
  • Releasing Series X Xbox Game Studios games on XB1 for a year or so -> Buy Game Pass
  • The rumoured Xbox Lockhart -> A cheap way to get a next gen Xbox so you can buy Game Pass
  • Game Pass codes with consoles nowadays -> A way to convince you to stick with Game Pass and renew

Seems pretty clear.

I want Game Pass.... but I have such a huge backlog, I really don’t need it. Sounds cool and to my surprise, Apple Arcade looks worthwhile too at just $5 per month. If nothing else, these two services can help me decide what to get on the Switch if they cross over.

rockodoodle

Anti-Matter

I still have one question.
What make the publisher for digital games to physical (LRG, SRG, Red Art, eastsoftasia, etc) NEVER want to release the game in physical for Xbox One ?
We got a lot of physical release on PS4, PS VITA, Switch but never any physical limited edition for Xbox One.
Is it because Microsoft really want to emphasize on Game Pass (being digital gamer) rather than Physical release for game collectors ?

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-29-microsoft-will-...

Looks like we might see Series S in August.

If Microsoft wants to seize the momentum early and seize it decisively, this is the way to do it. People who aren't billionaires aren't doing great with money, but many of them like their video games. Additionally, many of us don't care to upgrade our TVs just to get the most out of our new consoles. And, frankly, Microsoft is rolling in money and can easily stand to eat the hit to loss-lead with their new consoles.

A true budget next-gen console like Lockhart designed for 1080p gaming that releases at $349.99 or less and launches alongside Cyberpunk 2077 will take the market by storm.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter Sales and region. XBox isn't popular in the Asia region, and the Asia region seems to have the most interest in physical collectibles (or need for physical for distribution purposes), so it's just a mismatch of the market for what people want, where. Microsoft isn't involved in that at all. That's the companies publishing that just decided there wasn't enough demand to justify the cost. Probably helped that a lot of XBox customers tend to favor digital since it's the best console at handling digital in general.

@Ralizah that would be awesome. I'd be tempted to bite. My screens are 1080p for now and much as I love staring at the grass (be quiet, Blue! ), I can't see getting a 4k 23" screen....really ever. Not sure one will ever even be manufactured , at least with VESA mounts. The big question is how much upgrade over 1X would it really be? OTOH, $400 for the 5AD would turn some heads. I'd probably jump in....I'm mostly digital now for game sharing reasons (it's cheaper than the cheaper physical copies because I need to buy one instead of 2 for the house.)

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Even with a weak-ish GPU, the SSD and much more capable processor would still make it a pretty solid step up over the One X. Presumably the weaker GPU would be reflected in lower resolution targets, which is exactly the way I'd have it.

I'd be extremely tempted as well. All of my other devices look good on a 1080p set, so there's no way I'd upgrade to a 4KTV right now, but I'd still like to have a fast and powerful next-gen system. Not too excited about the notion of paying hundreds of dollars extra for a 4K console when I won't even see the benefits, though, so a drastically cheaper option is right up my alley.

And, frankly, with the pandemic straining peoples' finances, a low initial price would go a long way toward pushing either of these devices early on.

Microsoft price matching PS5 with Series X and undercutting the All-Digital with the Series S would be an aggressive but presumably very rewarding strategy for Microsoft.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Indeed. Though I do value the free FSAA from the 4k rendering on the 1X and pro, so I probably shouldn't be too hasty about cost saving. But when I buy consoles I have to buy in pairs....so between X and 5, I'm looking at $1600 + tax (and excluding more storage) on 4 consoles even if they come in at $400 all around....and who knows if there's a new Switch behind that. Post-pandemic that's definitely not in the cards, I've had to spend into a hole just to keep up, and I don't think that spending is over yet. Not sure what way I'm going with new consoles. I wouldn't want a graphics downgrade losing out on the free supersampling....but I can't see paying top prices. though 1X will still be supported with new games for a few years, so I probably don't have to jump into X for a few years yet, while PS5 (and some future Switch) would probably lock me out of games. The X upgrade is inevitable given my library depth on the platform, but the question is when. The PS upgrade comes down to when their 1st party games library is bulky enough to justify....and on sale

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

So it seems that for PS5/Series X, the price of games is increasing to $70/£65 (New games for PS4 and XB1 are $60/£55) judging by NBA 2K21 preorders. This is probably going to put Game Pass more in the spotlight.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Well, the prices have stayed the same for years now, while most things have gone up a bit, at least.... So, I don't see why games should be the exception

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

gcunit

They can charge what they like Day 1. If not enough copies are sold the prices will drop.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

BruceCM

Yeah, I already am in the habit of waiting for sales on most games, so.... I'll become even stricter on which ones are worth pre-ordering or getting on launch

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal No, current gen is normal price hence a price increase for next gen.

Grumblevolcano

Dezzy

So I never got round to play all of the Gears of War games but have decided to go back and work my way through them.

I have to say, Gears of War 2 still looks graphically impressive to this day. It's really making me question how much I care about any of the graphical improvements that have happened in the last decade.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Justifier

Dezzy wrote:

So I never got round to play all of the Gears of War games but have decided to go back and work my way through them.

I have to say, Gears of War 2 still looks graphically impressive to this day. It's really making me question how much I care about any of the graphical improvements that have happened in the last decade.

Yeah, I too replayed Gears 2 last November, and was impressed how good it actually still looks.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

BenRK

@Dezzy There really hasn't been a massive improvement to graphics, which is why I've been kind of meh towards new console announcements since even the Xbox One. Yes improved memory and storage is nice, and more modern video processing is nice, but I'm willing to bet had we kept the same quality of graphics as end generation 360 games but with better draw distance and resolution, everyone would have been happy.

BenRK

Anti-Matter

I believe the Xbox presentation will be 0% of Kids / Family friendly games.
Call me if there are some kids games (in physical, not digital) from Xbox presentation.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic