Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,181 to 9,200 of 11,903

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX For me, I came from the era of PC online gaming before voice was a thing. You had to type all messages in the chat window. Since that's kind of the "baseline normal" for me anything else feels....disturbing. Voice being added into gaming was a disquieting event for me. Of course I can type even faster than I can talk....and I talk fairly fast too, so that may be a factor....

Part of the appeal to me of the Japanese language is it's the fastest spoken language on Earth. Gotta go fast!

People gripe about Splatoon and no voice chat (aside from the app), but I kind of love that environment. No voices, just the game, and a fun little squiddy communication mechanism of booyahs, ouch's, and this way's has developed so that no matter what language of the other participants, everyone speaks inklish. It's fun with a new group as everyone learns to figure out a way to use 3 simple messages and actions to actually communicate and organize.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, then you'll LOVE Animal Crossing, with it's built-in, no voice text chat boxes...
The Switch's touch screen really comes in handy, there.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Tasuki

@ThanosReXXX Yeah back in the day when I played World of Warcraft I would use voice chat but only when I was with my guild otherwise I had it muted so I know it exists. I remember this one group of randoms I got into was just a bunch of drunken idiots talking about banging their girlfriends I don't even think they knew that they were playing. Then as I said I would get the idiot insulting everyone when something went wrong, or the kid screaming or some guy that you would here everything going on in their house, dogs barking, kids screaming, wife yelling to get them off the game etc. Heck one time I had some guy deicide to leave his mic on more then likely on purpose while he was getting a blowjob from his girlfriend and all we heard was that while we were trying to get through a dungeon.

So yeah every time I play I only have friends unmuted and everyone else muted.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ThanosReXXX

@Tasuki Yeah, that's about the only way that it's bearable...

Grumblevolcano

MCC will be complete, ODST Firefight is coming when ODST comes to PC later this summer:

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Lols, Amazon apparently trying to list the next gen consoles already....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

BruceCM

Yep, I'm looking forward to the KH games & want to at least give NMS a go, too, @DarthNocturnal ..... The Bard's Tale Resnarkled will be coming out on XB1/Windows PC & Switch, too!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

I hope we hear more about the dialed-down next-gen Xbox soon.

If it's sufficiently cheap, I... could see myself grabbing the Series S. ESPECIALLY if the changes to game performance are primarily or entirely on the resolution side of the equation (targeting 1080p or 1440p instead of 4K).

We'll see. But right now, a significantly cheaper machine that can play next-gen games at lower resolutions sounds way more appealing than spending $599.99 on a device targeting resolutions my TV can't hit anyway.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

I hope we hear more about the dialed-down next-gen Xbox soon.

What is that exactly? Has it even been officially confirmed?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@Dezzy

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/04/rumour_xbox_lockhart_to...

It has been HEAVILY rumored by multiple sources forever now. And it doesn't really feel like a wish fulfillment-y sort of thing like the Persona 5 Switch rumors, so I'm inclined to believe them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-lockhart-windows-os

It's also actively referenced in Windows OS code, so there's definitely something with the codename Lockhart in the works.

It also makes sense to release an underpowered next-gen system to undercut the PS5 in terms of price, so long as it can run all of the same games.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

BruceCM

How many times does MS have to say the same thing about these things .... ? They've had great BC on XBox One, they've consistently promised to work on bringing more but, presumably due to working on Series X, to make sure everything will play there, as well, you somehow think they're planning a Sony? I think they get how important this stuff actually is to many gamers!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Grumblevolcano

I think it's important to remember what is important to Microsoft and that is Game Pass subscription numbers, everything Microsoft has done with Xbox recently has been an attempt to increase Game Pass subscription numbers. Not releasing Halo Infinite for XB1 would do the opposite of that as some people who don't plan to upgrade would cancel renewing their Game Pass subscription if the XB1 version of Halo Infinite was cancelled.

• Banjo in Smash -> Buy a XB1 and get Game Pass to play Rare Replay
  • Ori released for Switch -> Buy XB1 or PC and get Game Pass to experience the sequel
  • xCloud being a part of Game Pass -> Buy Game Pass
  • Releasing all Xbox Game Studios games on Game Pass at launch since it started -> Buy Game Pass
  • Releasing Series X Xbox Game Studios games on XB1 for a year or so -> Buy Game Pass
  • The rumoured Xbox Lockhart -> A cheap way to get a next gen Xbox so you can buy Game Pass
  • Game Pass codes with consoles nowadays -> A way to convince you to stick with Game Pass and renew

Seems pretty clear.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Cotillion

Dezzy wrote:

They did an article on Smart Delivery.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/xbox-series-x-smart-delivery-...

Smart delivery is the first thing from the next gen I've heard about that has actually piqued my interest. This is what needs to happen for a digital future, only on a larger scale. This is more similar to the PC model, where you buy a game and it's not tied to one system. You can play it on anything capable of doing so. You upgrade and your games go with you to the new system. This is what Smart Delivery sounds like. Buy a game on XB1 now and you can still play it (maybe even enhanced) on Series X. The list of games compatible is pretty small currently, though.
Third party is a big iffy here, though......it would cut into them reselling enhanced games later. I'd even be fine if the standard model was that you could play the exact same version on a newer system, but had to drop an 'upgrade fee' for the enhanced version with extras.

Cotillion

Grumblevolcano

Pretty sure given the rest of the franchise is on Game Pass that the upcoming KH Melody of Memory will also come to Game Pass.

Grumblevolcano

Banjo-

Backwards compatibility and Smart Delivery are the best deal and what makes Xbox more appealing. The free upgrades we got on Xbox One X are something to note. Everything they're doing to keep compatibility and the cloud saves comforts me because I like playing old games and I don't want to be forced to always play the latest thing.

I sold my Xbox One to get my Xbox One X. If I do the same in November (?), every Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games I have purchased or got for free thanks to Games with Gold will be there for me, along with my save files. Everything on Game Pass will also be available. All this I think we are taking for granted when it's something unusual for us console gamers and a dream that has come true.

Banjo-

BruceCM

Yeah, it's a lot more than PS are offering along those lines, @BlueOcean .... They have said they'll look at getting more games BC, once they've got everything already working well Of course, there is the question about how well 3rd parties will support the enhancements for Series X but if the games are playable, anything more is great

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic