Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,161 to 9,180 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@Tasuki Serious but non-XBox solution: Have you given Splatoon a go yet? Not sure if you have a Switch (or WiiU) but that's seriously the single most addictive shooter game I've played since original Quake DM.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Meanwhile... you're talking total and utter BS. None of that is true, and is filled with nonsensical stereotypes that only idiots use to supposedly "prove" the differences and/or justify their preferences.

If you have no idea what you're talking about (which is obviously the case), better stay away from this thread, which is clearly not for you, but meant for people who actually LIKE and play on Xbox consoles.

@Tasuki What version of CoD would that be? I've never found any of the CoD multiplayers I've played all that deep, let alone RPG-like. And I've played most of them online with friends, except for the games in the Black Ops series, so I guess those could fit the bill.

@NEStalgia Figured you might want to know.
Also kind of odd you're not frequenting PureXbox, seeing as this forum thread here is just a facsimile for us Xbox owners, who used to have our own fan site, at least most of us. And now that we have that site again,
I often find myself wondering why plenty of people are still hanging around here. It's kinda like still hanging around the playground when we've got an entire sports facility available to us right next door.

Then again: there's also people here in a PS thread, even though they too have a dedicated site next door,
so I guess that's my answer right there. Still doesn't make much sense to me, though...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@Tasuki DO IT! Not that XB doesn't have lots of shooters available, but Splatoon just has an addictive quality that few (other than maybe COD, Team Fortress and Overwatch (hey, there's two others for you, TF2, and Overwatch), have managed to achieve. Splatoon 2 is much like 1, really, but there's even more weapon classes and weapons, and a lot of polish in a lot of areas (unless you're an E-Liter main.....the map design really messed with E-Liters.....). The tick rate is worse so some are unhappy about that, but if you liked the first, the gameplay is mostly the same/refined but with a lot more variety and variety in maps. Though I swear that any time I play it's always Port Mackerel still over and over....doesn't matter there's 15 other maps. It's always Mackerel for me.

@ThanosReXXX I actually have been popping over to PureXBox particularly while waiting for the MS "E3" date...came here because the comments there seem kind of dead. I was the only comment for ages on the EA post followed only by Redd and one other? It's a bit underpopulated there for the moment. PushSquare is the one I almost never visit and have never posted on.

EDIT: Also, I'm not really a COD fan, but the newer ones (especially last year's) do tend to have more of an RPG type system (for better or worse) in terms of XP and levels that creates more of a metagame around the game. I never really got pulled into the whole COD craze, but certainly tons of people love it.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
Unfortunately...
Viva Pinata was not convincing me enough.
Plant vs Zombie just no....

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yeah, that's what I meant. I now asked you specifically, but I was basically wondering about all the inhabitants of this thread. We now have an ENTIRE site to go to, all catering to Xbox platforms specifically, and yet we still hang around here. So, every time I get a notification of a new post or me being tagged in this thread, then that question comes to mind.

As for CoD: on the Xbox One, I only have WW2, and I haven't played online in that one at ALL, so I guess I'm kind of out of touch with what they offer nowadays, or what the differences with the older CoD games are. Those I've played online hundreds of times, ever since CoD 2 on the Xbox 360, with my friends, and those I never found to have anything but quick, snack bite gameplay, without anything seriously constructive and/or skill or weapon-improving.

Well, unless of course you're counting being able to help each other to cheat your way through the achievement list for specific multiplayer perks and such...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Well, current COD has levels, XP, virtual currency to buy your gear, unlocks, improvements, etc. Very RPG, if not MMO-ish aspects (not all good ones) involved. They've found a way to monetize progression, because it's Activision, so, of course.

Splatoon has XP and levels as well, but it's mostly just used for bragging rights and unlocking new gear up until a certain point. Then it's just for bragging.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Hm... that must then be the reason that none of my friends are playing them in online multiplayer anymore...

But all kidding aside: there is some truth to that, and other games have taken precedence. Such as Destiny 2 for one of my closest friends. It's basically all that he plays online, nowadays. I do have the game as well, but I'm so far behind, that it's not even funny anymore. I've always been a late adopter anyways, so even back in the Xbox 360 days, I only ever bought and/or played games months or even years after most of my friends did. So, what usually happened is that, in part, they humored me, by helping me with co-op parts for example, or as it so happened to be with CoD, they were still actively engaged in online multiplayer, in which case I was able to join them at a later point in time.

But only every now and then did I buy a game day one. I've never cared for hype or whatever, in that regard. I'll play a game when I want to play it, not when some marketing campaign or crazy fan base decides that it must be played...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tasuki

@ThanosReXXX Yeah after CoD4: Modern Warfare the MP became a different beast which is why so many people enjoy it. They added where you can gain levels which in turn unlocks different weapons, parts of weapons etc. adding a different meta to the game.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ThanosReXXX

@Tasuki Aha, well, I guess I'm not one of the many people then, because I don't really care all that much about those kinds of things. All I ever cared about in online multiplayer, is being able to play with my friends, and have a chat with them, because most of them live in other parts of the country, so I only ever see them a couple of times a year, which is why being able to get together online on a more or less weekly basis was such a nice thing to have.

But it was never about achieving or upgrading anything: just about having fun with friends, as it is supposed to be, much like we did back in the day with local multiplayer in GoldenEye on the N64. To this day, I still miss being able to "kindly" elbow my friends and laugh in their faces, after having put a bullet in their character of choice. Such wonderful times, and such fond memories...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tasuki

@ThanosReXXX Oh don't get me wrong too, I love those games as well I just get bored of them without anyone to play them with. And since most of my friends from don't play much video games anymore I just stick with games like CoD.

My Backlog

ThanosReXXX

@Tasuki Aha. Well, makes sense, in that case. Personally, I've never been much of a fan of online play with people I don't know. Tried it a couple of times over the years, but always ended up regretting or disliking it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tasuki

@ThanosReXXX Well just like anything else it all depends how you go about it. I don't have voice chat on when I play with random people. I don't need to hear some 12 year old screaming or peoples dogs barking or drunk idiots talking nonsense That right there makes it so much more enjoyable.

My Backlog

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I'm not much of an online player myself outside coop. I did quake 1 semi competitive waay back before esports was a thing, but never bothered much with online after. Never enjoyed it much (and hate voice chat as we discussed once before). And i had some fun with destiny 2 though i never even made it through the story) But with those kinds of games it does pay to play when everyone else is playing.... The players learning and developing the play styles over time, the meta, is kind of like the ai profession.., jumping in late isn't there whole experience. Like real sports i guess. I don't do much with it either, save for splatoon though. It rarely interests me

NEStalgia

Tasuki

@NEStalgia That's how I feel about World of Warcraft now. I loved the game played it for years had a great guild and everything then my computer crapped out and I haven't played for about 5 years before returning to it a few months ago. The Meta changed so much that it was like an entirely new game. I didn't find any guilds willing to help me figure it out so I just quit playing it again. Love the game but it's a different beast now.

My Backlog

Zuljaras

I want to share with you guy my Xbox (360 and One) collection.

It is not big but for me those are some quality titles. Some are not very well known but for me they are masterpieces!

Untitled
Untitled

I think I will do the same with my PS4 collection

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Guess I'm kind of in the middle between you and @Tasuki: it's not that I hate voice chat itself, especially not if it's with people I know, but when playing with strangers, it can definitely be highly annoying.

I remember once going online in Test Drive Unlimited, and all the time there was either direct or indirect chatter: "hey, where are you going? Where are you going, man?" or even talking to others about me: "look at that amateur" and so on, and so on. And yes, also the odd shrieking teen. You'd think you'd only see these in funniest home videos, but sadly enough, they actually do exist...

So, like you I'd only ever do co-op, or as I previously mentioned, I only play online with good friends, because going online for multiplayer and then switching off chat would almost make me feel like being a deaf mute or something, so that also wouldn't be the solution for me. In that respect, I'd see that in pretty much the same light as the ignore button on here: why the hell should I restrict/punish myself for something annoying that someone else is doing? So, I just stick to my circle of friends and then it's alright.

Agreed on how the moment of jumping in defines/makes the experience, though. But luckily, I have a very good friend with a LOT of patience, where games are concerned, and he helped me through the entire Destiny 2 story line campaign, so I did at least finish that...

@Zuljaras Well, it may be a small collection, but I'd definitely say that it's a pretty good one...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic