Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,021 to 9,040 of 11,903

Zeldafan79

@Ralizah
Yes i actually do own a PS4 so if i got a 360 it would mainly be for exclusives. I was checking prices and apparently they go for roughly 40 to 60 dollars on ebay. That's just the console itself. I was also reading about this so called issue about a red ring of death. Supposedly they're prone to overheating, the early models at least. Perhaps i would be better off with a newer model. Have you ever owned one and did that ever happen to you?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Ralizah

@Zeldafan79 I bought one during the height of the RROD scandal and have yet to have an issue with mine. It technically still works to this day, although we replaced it with a new one because, back then, Xbox 360 consoles didn't have the capability to connect to wi-fi on their own. You had to buy a separate adapter for that. That's how old it is. Also something to keep in mind if you buy an older model.

I'm guessing any older 360s you can buy now probably aren't ones with the RROD issue, so you're probably safe on that front if the seller is above board.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Maaryotyme

@Ninfan does sea of thieves have thieves in it. Also is there the sea.

Maaryotyme

gcunit

@kkslider5552000 I bought myself a 360 last night on eBay specifically so that I can play the Project Gotham Racing series. Stay tuned for an official unveiling when it arrives, it's supposedly unused and I'm quite excited about it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

ThanosReXXX

@Zeldafan79 I have an original model Xbox 360, and I also had the RROD happen to me. I sent it back to Microsoft, they repaired it and I got it back, within the space of 10 days, and ever since then, I never had any issues with it again, and that was back in 2007, so it's pretty safe to assume that any and all original models sold by retro shops are also repaired/refurbished ones, and otherwise, you'd still have the warranty, which in most shops will be at least 3 to 6 months. In that amount of time, the issue WILL occur, when used regularly, if an Xbox has not been repaired/refurbished.

In case you're interested or just wondering, the Red Ring Of Death issue was caused by a chip inside the Xbox not having the right kind of solder, so once the console got hot because of extended play sessions, it would melt and the legs of the chip would come away from the PCB, which would obviously cause an error. Also important to note is that it usually mostly happened with the Xbox 360 sat in the vertical position, so if you have it lying flat, it would almost never happen.

A trick a lot of people used to temporarily fix things, is to lay it flat, wrapped in a thick cloth or towel, and then when it got warm, the solder would melt again, and the chip would drop back in place.

But having said all that, you'd probably be better off with one of the black "Xbox 360 Slim" or Elite models. They're a bit faster and quieter than the original model and they don't have any of these issues.

@La-weejee That made my face split into a big grin. Well played.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
I have ever saw Old model of Xbox 360 dashboard decomposed by itself, like it was made a recyclable materials after several years. I saw it from my local game shop.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter I think you mean I "once" saw, instead of ever. I've seen you make that mistake more often.
And by dashboard, you probably mean the PCB or motherboard?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
If i remembered, the gray color plastic with a lot of holes from Xbox 360 degraded by itself after several years.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter I have no idea what you mean. But again: if it's about the motherboard, then the same goes for a Nintendo or PlayStation board. That's just a natural decaying process, which happens with EVERY electric component or board in every kind of electronic device, so it isn't even exclusive to game consoles.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Ralizah

ThanosReXXX wrote:

In case you're interested or just wondering, the Red Ring Of Death issue was caused by a chip inside the Xbox not having the right kind of solder, so once the console got hot because of extended play sessions, it would melt and the legs of the chip would come away from the PCB, which would obviously cause an error. Also important to note is that it usually mostly happened with the Xbox 360 sat in the vertical position, so if you have it lying flat, it would almost never happen.

Interesting. I wonder if this is why I never had the issue? Never was a fan of standing my consoles up. My Wii/Wii U/Xbox 360 always laid flat in the entertainment center.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

ThanosReXXX wrote:

Surely extensive heat-testing the components is one of the main things they do with a high-end games consoles?

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@Ralizah Could very well be, if you have one of the first generation Xbox 360's. You see, once you set it in the upright position, the topside of the PCB, including all the chips (obviously) is oriented to the right, and so the solder would melt, and the then in that position "upper" legs of the chip would simply slide or pop out of the PCB. For some reason, some genius used softer solder than they should have. A completely unnecessary oversight on their part, and in the repaired consoles and newer consoles all the potentially risk-prone components were soldered with a more heat resistant kind of solder.

The towel trick I mentioned does always work, because it re-melts the solder, and the chip kinda pops back in, and then when you allow it to cool down, the solder solidifies, so it's fixed to the PCB again, but obviously, if they would put the console back into the vertical position again, they'd risk loosening the chip again, so it was never more than a stop-gap measure.

@Dezzy Yup, indeed you would think so, but apparently, someone at the PCB solder department was sleeping on the job or something... Probably one of the biggest, if not THE biggest oversight in the history of console manufacturing...

EDIT:

On the other hand: this was the very first "high end" console generation, so perhaps, because of the people at Microsoft as well treading on new ground, they maybe hadn't expected certain things to happen or maybe they weren't able to rigorously test any and all scenarios. I mean, I myself only ran into the RROD problem after many months of usage, and some people never did, so they would have had to do some SERIOUS testing to reproduce that.

And obviously, hindsight is 20/20.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

BruceCM

It's probably why they've gone for the different shape box, @DarthNocturnal .... Better ventilation & thus cooling

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal That's exactly what they have done. Phil Spencer and other people from the Xbox team have explained in quite a bit of detail why they chose the new form factor, and how the big fan at the bottom is going to make sure that the whole console is going to stay relatively cool, even during extended play sessions.

gcunit

So I am awaiting delivery of my 360, but need to do some additional preparation because I've bought it from a seller in Europe so it's power leads have the two pin European plugs on them rather than the UK three pin plugs. Can anyone confirm the type of lead I'll need? I'm assuming I just need a UK cable that will plug into the existing power brick.

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit You could either buy an adapter, like those multi-plug adapters that you'd take with you on holidays, or go for the simpler solution and just buy a replacement plug from a UK store. The inputs on the console end are all the same, so you could just replace it with the appropriate plug and cord.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Power-Cables-Sealed-Twinpa...

EDIT:
A small correction: I said "on the console end" but that plug obviously goes into the power supply. Either way, that replacement cable is all you'll need.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

gcunit

@ThanosReXXX Thank you. I thought it looked like one of those standard 'kettle lead' plug heads, and it seems I was right, going by that Amazon listing you provided. So I can always pinch one from another device while waiting for an order to arrive, which is a bonus.

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit I assume you've checked both pictures on that link? If the leads you have, look like this at the end, then they will indeed do for the time being:
Untitled

Didn't even know that this was called a kettle lead, so I had to Google it. Goes to show that you truly CAN learn something new every day...

gcunit

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for highlighting that second picture. The kettle leads I'm used to (e.g. that supply the PSU on my PC) have three orifices within the head (presumably one each for live, neutral and earth pins) whereas that plug only has two. I suspect you may be able to use a 3-holed plug on a 2 pin socket, but I don't know for sure. I think I'll just wait and see what I've got when it arrives because I'm not convinced there aren't 2-pin and 3-pin variations between the power bricks themselves (particularly given the possibility of a third-party brick being included).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic