Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 8,961 to 8,980 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit Well, I've seen Spencer in videos and read a lot of his interviews and quotes, and whenever backwards compatibility came up, he always, and I do mean ALWAYS alluded to Series X bringing ALL generations together, as a whole, so spanning all generations and all games, so I think that the interpretation of the author of that PureXbox article is dead on. You cannot interpret anything that Spencer has said about it in any other way.

But if you feel like it's not all that certain, why not bring it up in that very article, and why not ask the author himself how he came to that conclusion? Perhaps they have some more concrete sources at PureXbox to confirm all this.

EDIT:
So, trying to find more info about this, all that comes up is more recent articles, in which Spencer states the following:

"Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before," Spencer says. "Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier frame rates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you."

But several articles also mention that the backwards compatible library WILL be expanded upon, so even though it does indeed look like ALL titles of all generations actually not being the case (my bad), they actually WILL add more titles.

On a side note: and realistically, ALL titles probably also isn't viable and/or possible, such as with those DDR titles which require renewed licensing, and a lot of other titles that may not have been all that successful, but if they manage to make around 60 to 80 percent of the total catalog available, then that will, for all intent and purposes, still be full backwards compatibility.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Octane

@ThanosReXXX Well, it still may be their aim. Just like it was their aim to make the Xbox One BC with all OG Xbox and 360 games, doesn't mean it's BC with everything at launch of course. Additionally, some games will never be BC due to the licensing issues. Unless they emulate the game straight from the disc. So, instead of downloading a digital version (which requires the licensing rights), playing it straight from the disc through a built-in emulator may solve that problem. That way everything is compatible from the start.

Except of course the odd game that requires a proprietary controller, like DDR.

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane True, and that may even be possible, seeing as Series X is twice as powerful as the One X, making it almost 12 times as powerful as the Xbox 360, so it should quite easily be able to emulate an Xbox 360, and definitely an OG Xbox.

I also came across this article, which seems to indicate that Ubisoft is in the know about all of this:
https://www.cnet.com/news/xbox-series-xs-backward-compatibili...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Dezzy

I interpreted their BC comments as meaning it was the same system as Xbone, so it only covers the officially BC-compatible games, rather than every game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@ThanosReXXX Probably more than 12 times, because TFLOPs on Xbox One and Series X aren't really comparable one to one.

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane I specifically stated Xbox One X, because that is currently mentioned as some sort of benchmark, in relation to Series X, because that is literally 2 times more powerful than the One X.

And seeing as the base Xbox One was around 5 times more powerful than the Xbox 360, we can roughly assume that the Series X is 12 times more powerful than the Xbox 360. And the reason I say roughly, is because it's a different architecture and CPU configuration (triple core PPC in Xbox 360, 8 core custom AMD x86 in Xbox One X), so a 1:1 comparison isn't really possible.

EDIT:
And Xbox One X and Xbox Series X are more easily comparable than Xbox 360 vs Xbox One X or Series X, because the latter two generations both use x86 chipsets, regardless of them being custom chipsets or not. At least they have more in common with each other than with a PowerPC chipset.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Octane

@ThanosReXXX I know. Digital foundry has a good videos on next gen console, and they've explained several times that a RDNA 2 unit isn't comparable to Xbox One (X) for example. So whilst the numbers say it's twice as fast as the Xbox One X, it's actually even better in reality. One TFLOP of Xbox One X computing process isn't the same as 1 TFLOP of Series X apparently. So it can probably do even more than what the raw numbers say.

Octane

Banjo-

@Octane That's correct. This video explains it:

Basically, Series X is well over twice as powerful as Xbox One X. They set an example using different-technology GPUs on Windows. TFLOPS can only be compared to PS5 because they are using the same technology and Series X has more. CPU on Series X is also more capable. The only thing that PS5 has that Series X hasn't is a fastest internal memory. Every other specification is better on Series X.

Backwards compatibility has been confirmed to be all Xbox 360 and all original Xbox games that are currently available on Xbox One by Spencer many times now but they plan to add more titles and to improve how those titles run on Series X. They want to improve games to some extent in a native way although The Coalition applied upgrades to Gears 5 quickly (textures, effects, etc.). Also, HDR will be automatically available for SDR games.

Regarding external storage, the expansion cards are exactly the same as the internal memory so of course all games can run on expansion cards. I assume they'll release expansion cards with more capacity in the future. HDDs are supported too for Xbox One games and backwards compatible games but they won't run/load as nicely as on the internal memory/expansion cards.

Other things that they have improved is latency and memory management in order to not load textures unnecessarily which reminded me of the Nintendo 64 that has something like this.

Series X is a super-smart and super-powerful console is my take and as consumer-friendly as Xbox One X (free upgrades, optional downloads...).

Banjo-

Octane

@BlueOcean Digital foundry said the same thing about the PS5 though. It has to do with the RDNA 2 computing unit (which are in both systems); and both are expected to deliver up to 50% more than what the raw numbers say.

Octane

Banjo-

@Octane Yes, I mean that you can only compare Series X with PS5 TFLOPS.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Well, there you go, that makes direct emulation instead of individual, game-based emulation even more applicable and/or likely.

Octane

@ThanosReXXX That was exactly my point! Sorry if I didn't make that clear the first time!

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane No worries, man. And no apologies needed. I wasn't even remotely close to being offended...

Banjo-

According to some sources such as notebookcheck.net, the "no loading time" SSD of PS5 is a gimmick/lie. Digital Foundry suggested that the incredibly fast SSD of PS5 could meet a bottleneck. It's really interesting that the PS5 has the "fastest consumer storage solution on the market" and that Sony makes a big deal about it when Series X also has a considerably fast (and bigger) SSD plus the identical expansion units. Every piece of information I read about Series X and PS5 gives me the impression that Series X is more balanced and smartly designed than PS5 although of course PS5 is going to -finally- kick half-baked PS4 Pro in the a***.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this piece of information comparing PS5, Series X and some PC configurations because it's really interesting!

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Playstation-5-s-no-loading-...

EDIT:

One more thing that I haven't posted yet. You can keep your Series X games on any HDD but you need to copy them to the internal memory or to an expansion card to play them because development kits are designed for the Series X memory. As I mentioned yesterday, you can play your backwards compatible and Xbox One games directly from your HDD if you want to. That makes upgrading as easy as it was to upgrade to Xbox One X.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Zuljaras

@BlueOcean Did they mentioned how the Xbox One games would be backwards compatible?

Completely from discs or they will be digital like 360 and original?

I would like to use my discs to install and play immediately

Banjo-

@Zuljaras You can play Xbox One games directly using discs but they have to be installed like on Xbox One. They don't consider Xbox One games "backwards compatible", that's the term they use for original Xbox and 360 games that play on Xbox One (and Series X) thanks to Microsoft engineers' wizardry.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Zuljaras

@BlueOcean This is fantastic! Maybe it is because of the operating system. Isn't it a modified version of Windows?

The last think I worry is if they will make the same mistake like with One about the initial setup and the internet connection. But I think they did that with one because it was designed to be almost always connected and they saw the backfire from the fans and implemented the day one update to mitigate the damage.

I pray they won't make the same mistake twice!

Banjo-

@Zuljaras Yes, Xbox One and Series X run games on Windows 10 but I also read that Microsoft is going to unify Direct X12 for PC and Xbox. This is great news for console players because the same technology and work can be used for PC and Xbox. The fact that Xbox One runs on Windows also made easy for developers to optimise games for Xbox One X. The way Microsoft is sharing technology between the two platforms is good for console and PC players and even multi-platform players because of Play Anywhere and Game Pass Ultimate but the biggest benefit is that developers can use the same work for PC and for Xbox. The fact that Xbox One X received more support and optimisation than PS4 Pro from third parties is meaningful.

Yes, Xbox One was originally designed to be always online but Series X even if it has a day-one update I don't think that will force users to connect to the internet before playing their first game. Phil Spencer is all about the players and not repeating Don Mattrick's mistakes.

Banjo-

redd214

Appears Microsoft is beginning to test out Xcloud for pcs internally. Looking forward to finally being able to use it on my Surface. Any other xclouders out there?

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic