Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 8,921 to 8,940 of 8,999

Dezzy

Halo Infinite and Fable 4 launch exclusives would do pretty well I imagine.

I just hope they're still keeping their promise of launching Infinite on the current Xbox, cos I'm not gonna buy the next console for quite a while.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magician

I wonder what the chances are of the Xbox One X dipping below $200 this holiday season?

Switch Physical Collection - 457 games (as of November 9th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Criminal Girls (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Justifier

@Magician
Let's hope so, I could upgrade my S.

Soldiers does not judge. Soldiers delivers judgement.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

redd214

@Magician they're still trying to sell the SAD edition for $250,no chance the X is that low this year lol. I'm sure you could do some wheeling and dealing and only pay $200 out of pocket for one but highly doubt even black Friday they would get anywhere near that number for the X.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I doubt it'll change, it's kind of like the BotW situation. Cancelling the Wii U version of BotW would've given Nintendo a negative spotlight even though the Wii U was a commercial failure.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

carlos82

@Dezzy @Grumblevolcano their website confirms that it's in development for the entire Xbox family so I don't think there is much to worry about

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5967-3221-9309 | My Nintendo: Carlos

Magician

redd214 wrote:

They're still trying to sell the SAD edition for $250,no chance the X is that low this year lol. I'm sure you could do some wheeling and dealing and only pay $200 out of pocket for one but highly doubt even black Friday they would get anywhere near that number for the X.

You're probably right, it'll be interesting though.

The Xbox One X made it down to $400 and the S down to $200 during Black Friday last year. Retailers are aware that PS5 and the next Xbox are on their way. Chances are good Xbox Scarlett will be on store shelves before Black Friday 2020. So retailers may as well offload PS4 and Xbox One inventory during the busiest shopping season.

Core gamers won't be shopping for PS4 and Xbox One during Christmas 2020.

Switch Physical Collection - 457 games (as of November 9th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Criminal Girls (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

sixrings

Wouldn't 300 be the logical drop. Match the x with the switch. I love my switch first party game but the x is a tech monster. I love it for different reasons. Wish I could just play my Nintendo games on it.

Edited on by sixrings

sixrings

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Dezzy I doubt it'll change, it's kind of like the BotW situation. Cancelling the Wii U version of BotW would've given Nintendo a negative spotlight even though the Wii U was a commercial failure.

I think it's probably seen as a bigger issue with Nintendo though because their big exclusives are the main reason people buy their consoles, whereas both Xbox and Playstation are to some extent just bought for all of the third party AAA stuff. Or bought for the sake of graphics in the case of the XboneX.

In the case of the Wii U, I legitimately bought the console for just 3 games. Mario 3D World, Xenoblade X and Breath of the Wild. If any one of those hadn't existed, I wouldn't have got the console. And I bought it before BotW came out obviously, so I was very much basing it on that promise.

I don't have anything like that with Xbox or Playstation though. I've never bought either console because of individual games. If anything made me buy an Xbone, it was the backwards compatibility, because I no longer had an X360 of PS3, so had an entire generation of games I could no longer play.

If Halo Infinite drops the Xbone version, I'll be mildly annoyed but I'd get over it very quickly. Whereas if Nintendo had dropped the Wii U version of Zelda, I'd have been furious, and probably boycotted the Switch on principle.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BruceCM

Wondering if anyone else has pre-loaded Children of Morta....? Cheaper than pre-order physical, at least here & digital is out a few days earlier

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

redd214

So got my invite to finally try out Xcloud and as expected works phenomenally well. Now of course I'm an outlier cause I live in the data center capital of the world, but it is impressive nonetheless! Hopefully the add Forza to the beta!!

redd214

carlos82

@redd214 I've registered so hopefully I'll get to have a go soon. Where I am, particularly at work the mobile signal isn't always the strongest so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up. Ultimately i suspect I'd mainly use the service for playing my games when i don't have access to the TV, similar to how I use my Switch

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy I think most PS fans buy it for Sony first party games. Maybe not as entrenched as Nintendo, but similar. XBox, certainly no, you buy it as a simple PC to play all those third parties. Or because Sakurai told you to. Either way.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia As it stands, what with the whole "Xbox One games on Windows 10" campaign/initiative/insanity, I'd have to agree, but of course, in previous generations, you'd most definitely buy an Xbox for the exclusives, such as Halo, Fable, Gears of War and of course the two Forza series, seeing as there simply were no other ways or consoles to play them on. But "thanks to" the Windows 10 cross-platform sharing initiative, that's now all rather considerably diminished in value and/or attraction.

Some might even say critically diminished...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, though, In some ways it's just come full circle. If we go back to OG XBox, it was created to put Windows in the living room and to prevent the PS2's success from diminishing the monopoly lock on games development DirectX had. X-BOX was never intended to be anything other than an entertainment focused Windows presence in daily life and cement for an API losing primacy.

Back then, Halo was the big thing, but it was merely timed exclusive before heading over to Win XP. Halo 2 was tied heavily to Games for Windows and the Vista debut. Gears and Forza became legit exclusives, but MS has always kind of oscillated between "XBox exists to support Windows and the Windows development APIs" and "XBox exists to be a similar platform competing with Sony, complete with exclusives." Only in the 360 era were they really trying to do the whole exclusives thing in a serious way.

In that regard, 360 was the weird one of the family with both the OG and, now the One, and heading into Scarlett focusing on being a Windows companion for computer games more than being a Sony rival. And that's also what set OG XB apart at first. Sony was a weird closed console. Nintendo was Nintendo. XBox was a simplification of the gaming PC. That concept, personally as a jaded PC gamer, appealed to me even back in 2000, though I hadn't bought in at the time.

Though the reasoning is different. I think now it's about extending it more as a "services platform" across Windows, Mac, Android, Switch, whatever than anything else. The actual box is just being positioned like Surface - the most convenient and purpose made device for the platform.

NEStalgia

carlos82

@NEStalgia I think you've hit the nail on the head there regards Xbox, I'm still not sure too many buy Playstation for its exclusives, or didnt initially as when you look at its popular franchises this gen a lot are either brand new or barely recognisable from previous entries. That and they've only really had a golden 2 year spell with PS4 which has led to the likes of Days Gone being hugely overvalued by the community just because it's an exclusive. It wasnt long ago where the PS4's exclusives were Killzone, Knack and Driveclub which kind of creates this myth of Xbox having nothing as its output wasn't as good in the last couple of years even though it still had some standout titles.

Personally I have all 3, but at launch I went with PS4 as that was where my friends were but I got the Xbox later to play Gears 4, Halo 5 and the likes of Cuphead and Forza Horizon. Next gen I'm actually favouring Xbox at launch at the moment with Halo Infinite likely to be up against something like Ghost of Tshushima

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I think a lot of that also comes, or rather: came from the times that Microsoft's management started to seriously lose faith in the Xbox brand, up to a point that there were serious rumors of them planning to disband the entire department altogether, until things apparently changed internally and/or Phil Spencer started to pave the way to the road that they're now on.

To me, the whole Xbox One games on Windows 10 thing smells more like appeasing the board members of Microsoft that still don't fully trust that the Xbox department is worth keeping afloat/alive, than something that they were planning all along.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@carlos82 Sony are truly masters of marketing. Well, MS used to be back in the "Start Me Up" days....the only reason we're stuck with Windows instead of OS/2 Warp

But Sony created such a great image for PS4 by having that "Year of Dreams" conference in year 2. What they did was present the image that ALL of THIS is just the beginning. Implicitly selling that if this is what year 2 is like imagine year 5! In reality what they did was outline the entire PS4 life cycle, more or less, right at the start. What you saw there was all you were going to get for the next 10 years (plus a few surprises.) Then with the rapid fire Horizon ZD, GoW, etc, etc. they cemented that momentum. And then....poof. They didn't even bother showing up to E3. And you can bet they'll do it all over again with PS5, and everyone will believe it like it's the first time.

Though they did wisely by committing to really polishing their exclusives, ensuring high critical praise, and making sure the image they created didn't ring too hollow. If Sony had really kept the pacing they implied, they truly would have been unbeatable. But the fact that last year kind of stopped cold turkey, not just slowing down but almost vaporizing, Wii style, reveals it was just a good show.

Like you I started with PS4, and ended up favoring X1, though, truly, Switch gets most of my play time by a long shot. I have a lot of games on PS I want to play that are exclusive, but most of those are 3rd party exclusive and/or older games, not current gen games.

@ThanosReXXX I think the OG XB being "more Windows" is pretty much the whole of it. X360 was the point where they decided maybe to try to rival Sony as a direct competitor rather than an alternative type product. But things kind of going back to "Windows", yeah, I think that came partly from management's dislike for it. Satya Nadella was elected partly because he said he was open to closing XBox...and investors wanted that. And that interview with Phil you posted a while back mentioned as soon as Nadella started he called Phil and pretty much directly asked why he should bother keeping them open. It was bleak...but some of that was management self inflicted wounds BECAUSE of trying to make X1 a Windows tablet out of the gate.

But it's still kind of full circle, regardless. That's how XBox started out. It's not such a bad thing it remains that. You could be right...but MS has been very very direct that they want to stop being a software company and start being a services/platforms company - that's their company core focus. So it only makes sense that "XBox" would be thought of as an ecosystem and broad platform than a Nintendo-type "console." From a player's perspective, or at least from my perspective, that's not so bad. AoE is on a console now. Gears is on Windows. It's a win-win. XBox being a properly "applianced" gaming PC isn't a bad deal at all. And getting MS Game Studios back on PC (where they completely disintegrated in the early oughties) isn't a terrible thing.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I could never see it as a PC, or a PC in a box. Aside from the obvious comparisons in look of the OS, there's too many differences, and unlike a PC, the console works, well... out of the box, whereas PC's come in SO many flavors and configurations, that the average consumer probably wouldn't even know which one to get for work or for gaming, or for any kind of other purpose besides that.

Which is probably also why the ready-made PC market is so massively popular. Saves all the non-savvy people from having to configure their box of choice all by their unwitting selves...

And of course Microsoft was never going to make a Nintendo-type console, but then neither has Sony.
I honestly believe that both parties wish they could or had the knack to be able to copy the simultaneous sense and quirkiness of Nintendo, and capture some of that magic, but they will never be (fully) able to.

Didn't stop them from trying, though, with various levels of success, but none of them equal to or better than Nintendo, so focusing on their own strengths instead of copying someone else's is probably the best thing to do, and not just business-wise.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia The only AoE on console is AoE2 on PS2. The remasters haven't been announced for Xbox though maybe it'll be a X019 reveal given Civ VI is coming to XB1.

Honestly though I think these 3 things will be the main X019 focus:
1. Xbox Game Pass
2. xCloud
3. Cyberpunk 2077

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic