Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 7,701 to 7,720 of 11,914

BruceCM

The stuff in 1st post is being delivered .... @BlueOcean & 2nd was what I picked up in town! Hopefully, the deliveries will arrive Monday

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

BruceCM

Got a year's Live Gold from the suggested site .... @BlueOcean Then upgraded it to Ultimate GamePass with the £1 offer, like Major Nelson suggested

SW-4357-9287-0699

Banjo-

@BruceCM Cool. I already had some Game Pass and Gold when the upgrade offer launched and I got the maximum length of time available for an Ultimate subscription for just £1. It's really nice because I don't have to chase for Gold or Game Pass deals for three years.

Banjo-

BruceCM

Yeah, well, I reckon I can play all the games there in a year, @BlueOcean .... Since there'll be plenty I either can't get on with or decide are worth buying Especially when they have sales & there's other ways to get the games, too! Like how Red Dead Redemption Special Edition is now half price, new, in Game & that seems to be a permanent reduction

SW-4357-9287-0699

Banjo-

@BruceCM I still buy some games, last one I got was Team Sonic Racing but with Game Pass I don't buy as many games as before and save money, which is the point I guess. So how much Ultimate did you get?

The thing I like the most about Game Pass is not saving money though, it's that I can try and play lots of games at no extra cost, my childhood's dream coming true.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

BruceCM

1 year, @BlueOcean. ... If there's enough games left by then, I can get more Since I can finish a couple of decent offline single-player games in a month, it'd still be a good deal

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Yep, @BlueOcean .... Since I do have quite a few games I definitely want to play apart from GamePass, I'll probably not get more immediately after the 1st year, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Well, everything has been dispatched.... Most of the games should be here tomorrow & monitor. Hopefully, the console will be Monday (that only had a 3-5 day delivery available)

SW-4357-9287-0699

Banjo-

@BruceCM You are going to love the controller and will be delighted with the good deals and sales.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Tomb Raider 1 had some great puzzle areas, but yeah, it felt like an Uncharted clone. Which does have a hint of irony since ND has said Uncharted was more or less a Tomb Raider clone.... Art imitating art that was imitating itself....

NEStalgia

BruceCM

The nice red controller, @BlueOcean .... I got Watch Dogs 1 & 2 pre-owned physical cheaper than the 'super sale', though

SW-4357-9287-0699

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Ha, ha! Yeah, a friend came to my house and asked, "What is this?" while taking one of the Uncharted games out of the glass cabinet and, before I could reply, he said, "Is this like Tomb Raider but with a man?". "Yeah, but Tomb Raider is better", I replied. Uncharted is all about the voice acting and visuals. However, Tomb Raider has visuals that are as beautiful and, more importantly, good gameplay. I think that the new trilogy is underrated because of being compared to Uncharted which, inexplicably, is more popular and also because the old Tomb Raider, the really old ones anyway, are based on riddles. That's why Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of the best games of the generation in my opinion, because it has it all and even more. Skipping the new Tomb Raider games is skipping three of the most enjoyable games of the generation for no reason.

What did the new Tomb Raider games copy from Uncharted? Perhaps the cinematographic additions resulting in bad writing and an incoherent Lara that makes little sense. They copied one thing but messed it up. Is Uncharted the first cinematographic game or just an interactive film with terrible controls, anyway?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Well, sounds like you got a great deal, all in all, so congrats. And with a year's worth of Live Gold AND GamePass you should have plenty of games to play...

Be sure to keep an eye on the Games with Gold page online, or via the Games with Gold app on your Xbox One. You may never know when a free game arrives that might be to your liking, or that makes you curious enough to at least give it a try.

Something to also keep in mind: once you've got the console, there's three other games that you can get for free outside of Games with Gold as well, namely Crackdown, Crackdown 2 and Too Human. The free Crackdown games are part of a promotion for Crackdown 3, and Too Human was more a kind of "save it for posterity while we can" initiative, seeing as the company who made it no longer exists and the rights have now apparently reverted back to Microsoft, who more or less immediately put it in the digital store and made it backwards compatible.

I do have to mention that all three are probably an acquired taste for most, but personally, I had more than enough fun with all of them, and they're free, so I won't be looking any gift horse in the mouth.

On a side note: which site did you end up using to get the Live Gold subscription?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

BruceCM

Never got into Uncharted but, all other things being equal, I prefer Lara as a protagonist.... @BlueOcean
I'll check it all out more, @ThanosReXXX but I 'brought' Inside free with gold! I'll be sure to try other freebies, too; was already wanting to try Crackdown

Edited on by BruceCM

SW-4357-9287-0699

Banjo-

BruceCM wrote:

Never got into Uncharted but, all other things being equal, I prefer Lara as a protagonist.... @BlueOcean

Not equal, the Tomb Raider games are objectively much better regardless of your sexual orientation (if that's what you mean). Also, Resident Evil is objectively better than The Last of Us which is a bit like Uncharted, great voice acting and impressive visuals, but with zombies. Critics glorify these games for some reason, I assume it is because the production value is very high, the actors perform very well and The Last of Us introduced a lesbians story which is always shocking although it should not. They forgot to review the gameplay though.

BruceCM wrote:

The nice red controller, @BlueOcean .... I got Watch Dogs 1 & 2 pre-owned physical cheaper than the 'super sale', though

I came back to Watch Dogs and the more I play it the more I like it, I even hated it when I started it. I didn't even know how to select a different weapon of each kind because the game doesn't explain but I saw tiny arrows on the menu and pressed right and left and voila. Once you learn the somehow unique controls and have upgraded your abilities a bit the game is a lot of fun. I have completed most of the side quests and tasks which I recommend because you get experience and skill points. I have unlocked most skills and just the final chapter is left but I'm going to beat the rest of side quests. I like Aiden and even like the story now.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Haha, yeah. It's weird. Old Tomb Raider (which is what Uncharted had to copy from) was almost like a slightly more action-oriented Point and Click adventure game. The action never controlled very well, but it was mostly about wandering around the same area trying to figure out how the mechanisms worked ,etc.

I don't know if it's fair to say Uncharted is more popular though. Tomb Raider, after all, spawned an entire series of big budget movies with top paid stars and was a pop culture phenomenon. Uncharted hasn't quite hit that pinnacle. Even non-gamers know who Lara Croft is. Most wouldn't know Nathan Drake. In a way I think it's because of the success of Tomb raider that the new trilogy doesn't get the praise it was expected to (Square Enix thinking 1 would push 9M in 6 months, the X1 timed exclusivity not really paying off, etc.) Uncharted doesn't have to live up to anything except being better than the previous one and being a memorable experience for Sony owners. Tomb Raider games have to live up to an idealized concept of what one of the biggest names in gaming is supposed to be, and if it's anything other than an unprecedented transcendental experience, it's a disappointment. Or, rather, "Pokemon Syndrome"

I think of the new trilogy it's the 1st one that tried too hard to be Uncharted. The cinematographic bent, the dialogue and environment, but most importantly the awkward gun-play focused shooting gallery gameplay mixed with cliff climbs and brief puzzle dungeons.

The story arc also felt like an Uncharted format script...but..then...Uncharted just copied the older Tomb Raider type scripts, so that makes sense.

The second two went back to the roots more and left that shooting gallery Uncharted gameplay behind more or less. For Uncharted 1 I'd say it's mostly an interactive movie with terrible controls. Two is a little more gamey. I thought 3 was a lot of fun, honestly. 4 was a better video game, than the first 3, but 3 got that "movie/game" balance they were aiming for I think.

Even as someone that does like the Uncharted series, I can honestly say I personally don't think ND was ever a particularly great studio. Jak and Crash are also kind of so-so in the gameplay and design. People love their worlds and characters enough to overlook the less than great gameplay. Like modern Sonic.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Well, I haven't played enough Uncharted to say about the games beyond the protagonists, @BlueOcean .... I'd like to play The Last of Us but it'll have to come to XBox or Switch

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic