Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 7,441 to 7,460 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

For all of you, here's an update on the whole Too Human on Xbox One story:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/06/16/the-bizarre-...

Spoiler alert: Microsoft themselves have stated that the "only available for one week and then gone forever" thing was a misunderstanding of some sorts, so the game is now simply a part of the backwards compatibility list for the foreseeable future.

No rush with having to download it then, whether you're actually interested/intrigued enough to give it a try, or if you just want to have it to complete your collection.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

rjejr

@NEStalgia My goal growing up was to be a successful James Bond villain who eliminated all human life on Earth. I've been planning this for decades.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

rjejr

@ThanosReXXX off-topic turn

I turn every conversation I'm in into an Escher drawing.
Untitled

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

NEStalgia

@rjejr wait now I'm confused. You're either Bezos it Putin, but you actually work at Nintendo...

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal The funny thing is that @NEStalgia is a real train fan, so why the hell he would want to derail any topic is probably even beyond himself...

@rjejr Ah, Escher... Reminds me of my art school classes. Back in the day, we did an entire essay on the man and his works.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Banjo-

NEStalgia wrote:

@BlueOcean MS's are more replayable/continuously playable I think. Sony's are more memorable as stories.

I totally agree. The story and voice acting of The Last of Us and the Uncharted games is the only thing I remember about those games. I could play Forza Horizon 3+4 and Sea of Thieves for years, I haven't tried most of the others yet: State of Decay 2, Gears, Halo (except 1), Sunset Overdrive... Big backlog here and I do play...

...Now I'm addicted to Team Sonic Racing (on sale now), it's much better than Mario Kart 8 in my opinion and in some ways it's better than Transformed (visuals and performance at the very least). No, there aren't any transformations but the whole package is really solid. The story mode is like World Tour but more focused, the team mechanics are easy, super fun and add a lot of strategy. You can play Grand Prix and multiplayer without team mechanics if you want. The story makes sense, of course it's childish like a cartoon but I laughed with a few lines. I'm sad that this game has got backlash because it's all about the Sonic franchise and it's a cars game. I don't care, it's an awesome racing game anyway.

Banjo-

Banjo-

DarthNocturnal wrote:

And here I just stopped following the Switch thread for topic derailments like these...

Imagine how bad every thread would be if there wasn't a chit-chat thread.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Yeah. In a way I think MS Game Studios represents what Sega, or at least Sega of America used to bring to the table (recall things like Toejam & Earl were rejected by Sega Ltd, it was SoA that pushed a lot of that stuff in the Genesis/Megadrive era. It's a lot of very, very arcade style play in the Sega tradition, and often things that don't neatly fit into categories or genres but sort of "projects" and "experiments." (To be fair, Gears and Halo, despite very solid, well designed arcade gameplay have the common issue of both falling into the same "duedbro macho shooter" trope that became a stereotype of XBox, along with fast cars....despite fast cars being an arcade staple since forever - and synonymous with Sega's brand.) And to be fair to Sony, Sunset Overdrive I don't think of so much as a Microsoft game so much as just an Insomniac game...and Sony has more Insomniac love with Ratchet and Spidey than XBox has, though I maintain Sunset is the prototype of Spidey more or less. Insomniac has never disappointed me yet.) But man if Sunset doesn't feel like a Dreamcast era Sega cabinet.....

I've played halo 1, 3, ODST, but have to get back into 2, Reach, and 4. 5....I've still not heard great things about the story mode. I really have to get into gears. I started playing 1....it's great but primitive....I tried out 4 to see what Coalition's take is and it's quite impressive. Tropey of the macho shooter of course...but gameplay is better paced than the first1. Curious about 5, but I want to play in order. Someday I'll get to that.

Still, Sony does the whole interactive adventure thing well, and I miss that kind of focus on XBox (Obsidian to the rescue?)....But that was always the classic fault with Sega consoles as well, and part of what damaged them against Nintendo & Sony. Sega consoles were so limited on RPGs and almost entirely devoid of adventure games. I've always loved the arcade, but I've also always been a huge RPG and interactive adventure fan starting with Zelda. Sony's games have a lot of diverse themes and worlds, but gameplay, like Ubisoft, tends to follow a rubric too often with them. Give & take I guess. Well, that and Naughty Dog.....I still maintain Naughty Dog is simply not a great studio, and never was, even before Sony owned them. Crash is OK. The UK thinks it's the best thing ever somehow....but it was never a really great game. I think the second trilogy not made by Naughty Dog was actually better. IMO the big thing that makes a Sony console worth owning, yes, I like several of their own games, but is that list of Japanese third parties that only publish on Sony (Atlus, I'm looking at you) and, up until this past year, most of Square-Enix' stuff. That seems to be changing rapidly as Sony pushes everyone away. Granted, OG Xbox had Tales of Vesperia (Sony had it in Japan), but the fact that the coolest part of the XBox show as a Tales game, Phatasy Star, and a new From software game, and Square-Enix's show had only one PS-only game (that may be timed rather than permanent), and an expansion for a PS only MMO, with the rest all on XBox (and often Switch) kind of says everything.

There's still some more "off the path" Japan stuff that's only on Sony, and it will probably stay that way, but more and more of that will be moving toward Switch. Danganronpa etc.

It's somewhat interesting in that Playstation is the dominant hardware by far. But as Switch takes over much of the "Japanese games" content due to Japan not being interested in home consoles, and XBox being the best platform for console ports of Windows games, It makes one wonder what the Playstation's actual (not perceived) niche is, currently. Though I'm glad MS is vested in maintaining that status quo...the 3-way split is probably what's best for gamers. Much of that comes down to Phil though. If XBox ever lost Phil they'd probably become contemptible. He "gets" the industry where the rest of MS tends to blunder their way from money grubbing initiative to the next. Kind of like Sony's new management is doing....

NEStalgia

Eel

Welp, Microsoft just answered my email. No refund for me. Yay, there go my 250 pesos.

I’ll go ahead and proceed to unjustifiably dislike the game for the rest of my life, even though I won’t actually give it a chance and it’s truly just my fault for being careless.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@Morpheel Self Loathing 3: Projected Blame

To be fair, it really does sound like an XBox exclusive, at least from the perspective of a Nintendo/Sony fan.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean What's so special about 2.1 if you're not running 8k, with object based sound, networking, etc. through it.

The TV world has become so completely weird in the last 4 years or so. They're so deep into pushing useless tech for the sake of tech now. It doesn't serve any real goal, it's just to sell new tech. You don't see that level of weirdness in any other industry anymore. Even phones died down on that and are basically minor enhancements now. Only TVs get away with trying to reinvent everything annually.

Also, Screw Rare Replay, Goat Simulator is GOAT.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Variable frame rates, automatic low-latency mode, etc. You don't need 8K to benefit from 2.1 and 2.0 doesn't fully support these new gaming protocols. Any game that doesn't hit its 30 or 60 fps target whether it's 1080p or 4K will output a smoother frame rate and have lower input delay. lt is the most significant improvement for gamers in all HDMI generations. So yeah, it's a big deal. More than 4K and more than HDR. This is the great thing about Xbox One X that supported HDMI 2.1 in 2017 and now in 2019 users can buy the first 2.1 TVs (LG).

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Wait, haven't monitors done that since forever? Regardless of HDMI?

I swear, I refuse to ever game on a TV. Monitors forever. I gamed on a TV...with the Wii....that was about it.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia No offense, but that is rather short-sighted, though. You'll never get a monitor as big as a Full HD, 4K or 8K TV, and with zero lag game modes and what not, there's really little to no reason, other than having a small house and sitting only inches away from your screen, to not maximize a console's visual potential by plastering the image all over the big screen that it absolutely deserves.

My current plasma screen is 42 inch, which is already considered small nowadays, especially if you're sitting the required/recommended 10 feet away from it...

Eel

I play on a 32" tv. And my laptop is 15".

The thing with monitors and laptops is that you usually sit much closer to them, compared to a tv.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

Mine is Sharp Aquos White 32 inch.
I play my console machines with distance 2.5 - 3 m from TV.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Completely agreed. I'm already squinting now, with the small texts that a full HD game sometimes displays...

@Morpheel Of course, and I know, but that wasn't really my point. My own PC monitor is also a lot smaller (24"), and when I'm sitting at the desk that it's on, I'm only at an arm's length away from it. But gaming like that, although I still do it sometimes, isn't nearly as comfortable as gaming on the couch and on a big screen. My desk chair can only lean back so far, and it's got wheels, so I must always take care not to incidentally push myself away in the heat of the moment...

@Anti-Matter Well, then you've probably got pretty good eyesight. That would be too small for me. Once you're used to a certain size screen, you simply can't go back to anything smaller. Well, at least I couldn't.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic