Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 7,381 to 7,400 of 7,763

ThanosReXXX

@Octane @redd214 It's not really an open world game. Well, at least the first two weren't. The series is classed as a "sandbox action adventure", and that pretty much describes what it is.

@Octane if you think that it is boring or has graphics that belong to 15 years ago, then you should try the first game, which can still be downloaded for free, over here. That first game was released in 2007, and the second one in 2010. Now, even by my rather gentle standards, the first game looks pretty rough, but the third game, although long overdue, certainly doesn't look old by any standards.

The changes/upgrades are very subtle, but they're certainly there, and particularly noticeable for those of us familiar with the series. And another thing, perhaps also subtle, is that it's not standard in gameplay either: it's more or less all about planning and verticality. If you don't get that, you'll just be running and gunning around. Which, to some extent, can get you a decent way along, but it isn't all there is.

You're supposed to become the equivalent of a Super Saiyan in cop form, and to be able to do that, you need to grab all the power ups there are, and some of them simply aren't reachable in the beginning, because you can't jump and/or climb high enough. And that's also where the planning comes in:
you need to conquer the map layer by vertical layer, going ever higher to get every last power up available.
(so, knowing which buildings you can reach/climb, where they are on the map, and how you need to climb them)

That'll not just improve the height of your jumps, but also your physical strength, which means you can go from denting cars, to tipping cars over and ultimately to throwing entire trucks on top of enemies, which can be hilariously funny, especially when explosives are involved.

And those power ups are also essential for the later bosses in the game, because without those, you won't be able to beat them, and then there's also the special events, strewn around every map, and all of them require different levels of power, so there really is far more to it, then you might think at first glance, or when you first try it, so this is far more than just some kind of GTA clone in a futuristic coat of paint.

And some of the weapons in the games are insane as well. Personally, when I saw the new black hole weapon in Crackdown 3, I already knew that I was going to have a lot of fun with that.

And playing it in co-op with a friend or two adds another tactical level altogether, because then you change from more or less being a lone action hero to an actual super-powered police squad.

But of course, there's always taste and preference, so I won't judge anyone based on the fact that he or she simply doesn't like this kind of game. I can understand it's not for everyone.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Dezzy

I think it looks completely fine graphically. I don't get why so many people are angry about it.

Obviously it's not the top of the range graphics. It's not competing with God of War or Uncharted. But Microsoft probably doesn't even intend it to. They have Forza Horizon, Gears and Halo which will compete with those real AAA Sony games.
Crackdown is just more of a AA game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

redd214

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@Octane @redd214 It's not really an open world game.

From the official game page:

"Dangerous Open-World Playground"
"Crackdown 3's open-world sandbox of mayhem"

Virtually every preview I've read/watched describes it as an open world game but if sandbox action adventure works better for ya that's cool too

Hope you enjoy it!

Posted this in the deals/discount thread but may as well since I'm here. Target is doing their semiannual B2G1 sale. Works on a bunch of new games and even some preorders. Technically they aren't supposed to price match with the sale but if you find the right person they will for you. Was just in there and made out pretty good!!

EDIT: also 2 months of Gold is only $2 and a month of game pass is only a dollar for those who aren't already subscribed to either! Not a bad way to get more folks trying CD3

Edited on by redd214

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Well, I guess they changed it up for the third outing, then. If you go to the overview page of the first game, with that link that I posted, then it says: "Genre: Action & Adventure, Fighting, Racing & Flying, Shooter".

When someone says open world to me, then I'd expect it to be possible to go everywhere, and not that a game has borders, which effectively makes it a sandbox game. It's not like Breath of the Wild's "if you can see it, you can actually go there" kinda gameplay.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@Dezzy I think the problem is it's "just an AA" game that was hyped for years with delays and was one of the big hype engines at XBone launch. Launching currently as "well it's not about AAA graphics" as a big first party release from the company that's all about "the most powerful console ever made" seems a little weird. It shouldn't really be a problem, but in context it sticks out and anything that sticks out in gaming is easy to hammer down.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Zuljaras I suspect your definition of "silent" varies from other opinions....

OTOH, Dolby Atmos Headphone is only $15 on X1......so it's a win-win, really!

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

Seasonal Playground Games Championships and a new Horizon Story coming to Horizon 4. Also, the Quartz Regalia (from Final Fantasy XV) returns from Horizon 3, and is joined by it's “Type-D“ offroad mod (as a separate vehicle).

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Just because all of the games are released on a powerful console, doesn't mean that all the games must subsequently max out the graphical capabilities of said console. For some genres it's simply more meaningful and has more of an impact than in others. And seeing as Crackdown isn't quite realistic in the first place, it doesn't really matter that it's aesthetics don't please the uber-graphics crowd.

@Zuljaras I think you seriously have to take into account that you're just a bit more sensitive to the sounds that the console makes than the average person. From what I've seen you mention, it would certainly seem so, because in those videos you posted a while back, I personally couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. And if you would have two, or heavens forbid, three consoles in a row that make too much noise, then it would seem that you're one very unlucky person...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX By and large, first party games have traditionally been about showcasing the hardware, though. MS is no exception, Halo, Gears, even Ryse and ReCore were about showcasing the hardware. Nintendo...ok, Nintendo's Nintendo but it's about showcasing the features more than the graphics. But Crackdown is sort of about that, instead it's about showcasing the concept of cloud powered gaming "only on XBL" (which was actually meant as a safe way to excuse the always-on DRM) - it's an XBox tech demo, but it's a demo of XBox tech that was poorly conceived and served an ulterior motive and was ultimately sidelined years ago. The game is kind of "Mattrick's Legacy: Adventures in Egoland. Press Menu to Begin..." Not saying it's bad or anything, but the whole premise of what it represents is this odd time capsule from 2013 sucked forward into the present due to delays.

@Zuljaras You may be useful working for NASA though. If anyone's going to hear signs of life in the vacuum of space, it's you

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia True, and I never said that it was top-notch or debated that the delays haven't done it any good, but the point in general stands. Take Super Mario Bros platformers for example: these also don't have to look much better than they already do, even though they could make them more 2.5D like the Donkey Kong Country platformers, but apparently, they work just fine as they are.

I'm also suspecting that a lot of people are doing the comparison thing, but instead of doing it the right way, which would be to compare it to the two previous outings and seeing the obvious improvements with each installment, they're comparing it to a wild variety of high end graphical splendor games, which makes no sense whatsoever. No sane person should compare Crackdown 3 to Forza Horizon 4 or any other better looking game in a totally different genre.

@Zuljaras Well, I sure hope not. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

@NEStalgia Man, and just when I thought YOU were the epitomy of an audiophile...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX NSMB actually gets a lot of backlash for the "plastic" look though....even the NL reviews kind of touch on that. It's pretty sterile.

Hah, oh, I'm still an audiophile, no question there. Compression artifacts in 320kbps MP3s drive me as nuts as @Zuljaras' XBox fans....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, at least he's not putting his ears to his hard drives yet. Or at least: far as we know...

As for NSMBU: perhaps a bad example then, but I reckon you're smart enough to get the gist of it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Octane

@Dezzy I mean, open space with a destructible environment would be impressive in 2005, but not today I think. So the biggest novelty is has going has been done before, and better I think. I'm just not sure what to think of it.

Octane

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

@Dezzy I think the problem is it's "just an AA" game that was hyped for years with delays and was one of the big hype engines at XBone launch. Launching currently as "well it's not about AAA graphics" as a big first party release from the company that's all about "the most powerful console ever made" seems a little weird. It shouldn't really be a problem, but in context it sticks out and anything that sticks out in gaming is easy to hammer down.

Obviously what's happened is they thought the destruction mechanics would be worth the long development time, and were worth sacrificing focus on the graphics as a tradeoff. But that's not really panned out.
I still don't think every exclusive needs to be AAA. I just regard this as another State of Decay 2 type game. (and I imagine it's price will quickly fall to that level)

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy I mean, open space with a destructible environment would be impressive in 2005, but not today I think. So the biggest novelty is has going has been done before, and better I think. I'm just not sure what to think of it.

The multiplayer is obviously a different issue from single player. I certainly agree the multiplayer doesn't look innovative enough to compete with the current market.
I still think single player might be a good dose of mindless fun though.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy Completely agreed, and seeing as I also enjoyed the single player campaigns of the previous two games, I'm pretty sure that I will also enjoy the single player campaign in this new installment.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic