Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,881 to 6,900 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@shadow-wolf I'll consider watching them, in the interest of fairness, but I'd be surprised if I change my mind on the verdict. Comedy either grabs you, or it doesn't, and if this Xbox Direct effort is of a completely different tone than his usual stuff, which I can't really imagine, then he really made a bad first impression, which is hard to recover from.

In all honesty, though, I have to say that I'm rather spoiled where comedy is concerned: my uncle used to own one of the most famous standup comedy café's in Amsterdam, and I used to be house guest there practically every weekend, so I've seen some of the best comedians from all over the world performing on that stage. The average YouTuber, no matter how funny, can hardly compare or come close...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

redd214

Comedy expert in here folks look out. Dont come with your weak youtubers lol!

Question about Gears of War for anyone. A buddy of mine just got 4. I know its primarily an action/shooter but will he miss out on a lot of story beats if he hasnt played the first few games?

redd214

Banjo-

The Xbox Direct by Dunkey is cheap and silly, I am surprised that anyone can find that Dunkey guy funny at all. IGN's Nintendo Direct was very funny for me. I would have preferred having a guy talking English the way Iwata did, I mean, in a way that you could not understand anything until Bill Trinen or subtitles popped in. WhatsApp coming to Switch! LOL

Now this is good:

Banjo-

Emob

@redd214 He will miss some story elements based on the characters, but the game kind of starts a new story since I can't recall if there's an explanation as to why the locust return. I don't know if they still do this, but if you play GoW4 or the remake of the first one they give you download codes for 1, 2, 3, and Judgement. To keep people from missing out on them.

Emob

redd214

@Emob oh wow didn't know that. Will let him know. Thanks for answering!

redd214

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Iwata was incredible in that he didn't actually speak English at all. Or very very little. He actually spent countless hours memorizing the SOUNDS for those speeches and Directs to make them in English, and INSISTED on doing so himself, even though he didn't understand any of what he was saying. Imagine memorizing the sounds of a 20+ minute speech in Japanese without understanding a single word of it or being able to read it from a teleprompter or script!

Miyamoto on the other hand DOES speak English, and is relatively fluent, at least at a child's level despite not learning until the 90's, but not fluent enough that since people hang onto every word he says, given his stature, using the wrong adverb can cause stocks to tank. But notice when he's doing a Q&A with a translator like Trinen, the question is almost never translated to Japanese for him, he understand the question in English but response in Japanese after he cause a ruckus once during an interview back when he did give English interviews.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@shadow-wolf Well, I watched both of the videos you recommended, but I'm sorry to have to say that they did nothing to change my mind. Don't like listening to this guy's voice, don't like people that feel the need to throw in all kinds of swearing in their videos, and I think his reviews are average at best. I have no idea how the hell someone like that was able to get so many subscribers.

Me, I'm more into solid and easy to listen to reviewers like Arlo, Spawn Wave, Commonwealth Realm, Rule of 2 Review, Tome of Infinity (formerly known as Lord Karnage from Classic Game Room) and The Know. And those last two channels actually do know how to do funny in a smart and intelligent way...

@redd214 I'm far from a comedy expert, but as I said: I am spoiled by having had that experience, so it's just that I find it quite hard to be impressed by YouTubers trying to be funny, because of it. That's really all I was saying.

Also wanted to give you an answer concerning Gears of War, but I see someone already beat me to it.
I do agree with that answer, though. The series as a whole does have a connecting story line, but you can play 4 without that being too much of a hindrance to the story in that particular game.

Having said that, a back story is of course always nice to have, and it will clarify some references here and there.

@NEStalgia Iwata doing phonetic speeches? Now there's something I've never heard anyone mention before. Odd, but interesting at the same time...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Grumblevolcano

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is now free (maybe GWG, maybe free play days).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

@Grumblevolcano wow that's a lot of value for a GWG title. I'm actually downloading the BL1 remaster right now, been such a great week for the franchise outside of the Epic/Steam drama.

redd214

NEStalgia

Ugh! My hdd is actively spinning up every 60 seconds again!! Probably has been for months and i didn't notice because heater nose blocked the sound...grrrrr! I may have to turn off instant on. Hundreds of dollars of hdds bought because if this problem and it just comes back anyway....

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I respect Iwata as a person (RIP) although I didn't like the way he handled Nintendo. I didn't even like the way he handled "Iwata Asks" because it was clear that he didn't listen to any employee and he always thought that he was right and asked the same question with small variations each time until the team had to somehow agree with him and then he thought that he was right all the way but he wasn't, he was just being a good salesman. Then everybody laughed, each for different reasons...

I read all the Iwata Asks interviews because they were interesting but Iwata never admitted that someone else had better ideas and he just wanted to save costs and make cheap (he was so cheap in that sense) and commercial hardware and software and be the boss. On the other hand, I love Miyamoto. He has his own ideas, he can be stubborn and he won't please people just to be nice but he is creative, open-minded and talented and likes other people's ideas even if they work at Ubisoft (Watch Dogs) or a new developer (Snowboard Kids). He is the best that Nintendo has ever had.

I was so annoyed by Iwata doing the English Nintendo Directs (not even dubbed!) because I didn't understand a single word that he said and he loved the spotlight so badly. I was more annoyed when I discovered that Nintendo had someone like Bill Trinen who understands Japanese well and talks perfect English. I saw him with Miyamoto many times but Iwata always wanted to be the only one. I believe that part of Nintendo's failures were because of Iwata, especially when he presented Wii U for the first time so confusingly. At that moment a word popped up in my head: fail.

IGN's Direct with the same Japanese guy but talking in Iwata's "English" would have been epic.

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano

As Halo Outpost Discovery features MCC PC and the start of the Outpost Discovery tour starts July 5th, it seems that Reach for MCC will be finished by the end of June. Possible shadow drop at E3?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

Ok, this HDD thing is seriously making me love Playstation..... It was fine for months with the official HDDs just turning the HDD light on but not spinning up the drive. Now it's doing just what the old drives did, spinning up every 60 seconds. And if I set the XB to leave the storage on permanently, it spins down on it's own after an hour or two and spins up every 60 seconds anyway, it doesn't keep it on. I can only presume it's also spinning up the non-replaceable internal drive ever 60 seconds as well. Making the X1X about a 1-year rental at full price. I'm not the only one with this problem. There are some threads on the internet from years ago with this problem, but it was reportedly fixed. Currently there's a few others from a week or two ago with people with the same problems, one on Reddit, one on the MS support forums. And there's no solutions just a bunch of "Ambassadors" and one support rep giving the usual "do a full factory reset of the console" advice they give when they have no ideas.

If the real only solution is just no longer use instant on and to use only power-save, the X1 is now the LEAST convenient of my consoles. I rely on game suspend all the time. And that makes X1 the only console without that feature if it can't be used without shredding hardware.

NEStalgia

DarkRula

Next Inside Xbox with a release in early May. That's the date Horizon 3's Hot Wheels expansion hit. I highly doubt they'll wait until June to release it.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

redd214

3 months of game pass will be a dollar for new subs!!

New games added as well

• Monster Hunter World
  • Prey
  • Life is Strange 2 Ep 2
  • Resident Evil 5
  • The Walking Dead A New Frontier
  • The Golf Club 2

redd214

Banjo-

Redout is a 70% off Deal with Gold. Has the grumpy developer fixed the frame rate on Xbox One X (it was messy at launch)?

New on Game pass
Prey - April 11
The Golf Club 2 - April 11
Monster Hunter: World - April 18
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - April 18
Life is Strange 2: Episode 2 - April 24
Resident Evil 5 - April 25

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Banjo-

@DarthNocturnal I posted the dates above. They are new additions to Game Pass.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic