Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 6,821 to 6,840 of 8,614

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

15.... No clue why that's winning....

It reviewed fairly well, it's an open world game, it's action rather than turn-based, it looks very nice.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Haha, late to the party indeed. I already posted that list that you linked to as well.
And it's not so much the PC versions that are now released on the Xbox One X, but from what I understood it's just the core Xbox/Xbox 360 game, except with the higher resolution assets, which are either from the co-developed versions, or indeed from the PC version, so it's more like a hybrid, basically.

And then there's of course additional stuff added, such as HDR and so on, stuff that wasn't even available in PC versions of those games back then, so that's console-specific for the X.

@ReaderRagfish Forgot to mention this one:

Super Runabout, a game you might like, if you also like/enjoyed the Crazy Taxi games. Instead of just various cars for taxis, this game has all kinds of different vehicles, such as pick up trucks, police cars, muscle cars, and scooters, and has all kinds of different missions.

EDIT:
And contrary to Crazy Taxi, it also has actual damage models, that will affect your vehicle.

The guy playing it in the video is really bad at it, but it'll at least give you an idea of the gameplay and so on.

Oh, and if you like mindless 3D brawlers in the vein of Final Fight, then you might also want to give this one a go:

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

RedderRugfish

@ThanosReXXX I've heard of Zombie Revenge before. Looks like it's got top notch voice acting!

Do you think you could condense your recommendations into a top 5 for each genre or something? It is helpful to know which games you think are worthwhile, but I'm a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Not a bad problem to have, I suppose!

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish Haha, yeah, nice and cheesy. Kinda made me think of the "voice acting" in House of the Dead, which is arguably even worse. I guess bad voice acting simply was a thing in horror-related games back then...

Phew... a top 5....

I specifically went out of my way NOT to make one of those, simply because I wouldn't be able to choose in some genres, and I honestly enjoyed all the games I mentioned, otherwise I wouldn't even have put them in the list.

I could of course have added videos or links to videos for each game, but I kinda figured my comment might inspire you to do so yourself.

Oh, well. Guess now I'm here, I might as well give it a go, and although I don't know if I'll get to a top 5 for each genre, I'll at least name the must-haves, in my opinion, of course.

For some genres that I mentioned as one group, such as racing sims and arcade racers, that will obviously mean that I'll split them up again, otherwise you'll miss too many good games...

So, let's go, then:
(disclaimer: I'll try to make top 5's whenever possible, but it might be 6 (or 7) sometimes, and I'll mention series with two games as one, since either of them will be good. And lastly, they will still be in no particular order, so you can consider all of them worthy of your attention)

Racing simulation:
Metropolis Street Racer 1 & 2
F355 Challenge
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 & 2
V-Rally 2 Championship Edition
Test Drive Le Mans

Arcade racers:
Daytona USA
Hydro Thunder
4 Wheel Thunder
TrickStyle
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
Speed Devils
Vanishing Point

Cartoon racers:
Looney Tunes Space Race
Wacky Races

RPG:
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Evolution 1 & 2
Time Stalkers
Armada
Dragonriders: Chronicles of Pern

Action RPG:
Berserk
Shenmue 1 & 2
Silver
Record of Lodoss War
E.G.G. (Elemental Gimmick Gear)

Horror/survival:
any of the Resident Evil games
Dino Crisis 1 & 2
Illbleed
Blue Stinger
D2

Life simulation:
Lack of Love
Seventh Cross: Evolution
Seaman

Vertical/horizontal shooters:
Ikaruga
Gunbird 1 & 2
Gigawing 1 & 2
Border Down
Last Hope
Under Defeat

Multi-directional shooters:
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
Charge 'n Blast
Zero Gunner 2

3D shooters:
Alien Front Online
Cannon Spike
Outtrigger
Rez
Quake III Arena
Silent Scope

Action adventure:
Jet Set Radio
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Ecco the Dolphin
Slave Zero
Headhunter
Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Urban Chaos

Rythm games:
Samba de Amigo
Space Channel 5 1 & 2

Platformers:
Rayman 2
Super Magnetic Neo
Donald Duck Quack Attack

Puzzle:
Bust-a-Move 4
Puyo Puyo Fever
Wetrix
Bomberman Online

Flight sims/arcade flying games:
Aerowings 1 & 2 (second game being the better one)
Airforce Delta (aka Deadly Skies in Europe)
Aero Dancing i
Iron Aces
Starlancer

Sports:
Virtua Tennis 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
NFL Blitz 2000
NBA 2K2
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX

Arcade Sports games:
Virtua Striker 2
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sega Sports Jam
Extreme Sports
Sega Marine Fishing

And the unreleased games:
Propeller Arena
Hellgate
Ballbreakers aka MoHo
Flintstones Viva Rock Vegas
Toejam and Earl 3
Half Life Gold

Still, I do have to emphasize again, that the games I've now removed, are ALSO worth looking over.
And seeing as you can practically download all of them for free, the only effort you'll have to put in it, is check out the relevant video's, buy some empty cd's, download the games and burn them.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

DarthNocturnal

If you're looking to avoid KH3 spoilers, duck and cover. There's at least one person who got their hands on an XB1 copy six weeks early.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Well, far as I'm concerned, you can spoil away to your heart's content, since I never gave a crap about that series anyway.
Just be sure to use a lot of these guys: peek-a-boo!
Better not give anything away to the more sensitive people...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

RedderRugfish

@ThanosReXXX Somehow, I'm still overwhelmed . Ah, no big deal. Good to know it'll be a while before I run out of things to play.

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish And to think that my first comment was already a short-list...
The total number of spindles that I've downloaded, is 16. As in 16 50-disc cd spindles...

One other interesting thing I forgot, is that you also have a wonderful thing called Bleem! (yes, written with exclamation mark) It's like Xbox One X backward compatibility before there was ever an Xbox, or more exactly: PS2 graphics before there was ever a PS2...

Bleem! runs and upscales PSX/PlayStation 1 games, and before it was shut down, for obvious reasons, they already had 3 games officially released, with both the game and the emulator on the disc:
Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3, and Metal Gear Solid. The original discs are very rare and worth a small fortune now.

But the homebrew scene was able to crack the so-called uncrackable Bleem disc and this resulted in the unofficial version called Bleemcast, which can be downloaded for free everywhere. It functions as a boot disc, which you use to put the Dreamcast in a virtual machine mode that runs PSX games, so once the disc has booted up the virtual PlayStation, you can insert either an original or copied PSX disc and play the game in a far superior form on your Dreamcast. It truly is something that you need to experience first hand, so don't watch any videos to spoil it for yourself.

Just look for various versions, because the emulation isn't perfect, so you'll need more than one disc. There's Bleemcast yellow, which is the original, then there's blue, green and red. The last one is hardly ever used, so you can run just about any game with the first three.

So, if you still have some original PSX games, or are interested in them, then this will save you from having to buy a PlayStation for them.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

RedderRugfish

@ThanosReXXX I knew about Bleem for PC, but not Dreamcast. Heard it was better in some ways and worse in others compared to real hardware. I already have a PS1 (and PS2) but I'll look into it.

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish In that case, you might be interested to know that emulation, and most definitely upscaling, is superior on Bleemcast, even compared to Sony's own hardware. They use a different kind of emulation, that works on a deeper, more thorough level.

The only thing it doesn't convert/emulate, is PlayStation video, so intros and so on look like photo negatives, all in black and rainbow colors, but the games themselves look and run pretty good.
EDIT:
This is only true for FMV videos. In-game cut scenes using the graphics of the game, such as in Metal Gear Solid, work just fine.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish

P.S.

If you're still a bit overwhelmed and/or unsure with which games to start, then these videos might be a nice companion to the lists I made for you:

Oh, and do you have a VGA or HDMI adapter? Definitely worth the purchase if you haven't got one yet.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy it's an open world action game.....i.e. even less ff than xiii.... Still not sure how that's winning other than that real ff is forever dead because action games are now more profitable and the rpg crowd is paying $180/yr for 14.

@DarthNocturnal oh great.... How the heck does one get a copy 6 weeks early? Review code doesn't go out nearly that early, the game would have just gone gold.....

@thanosrexxx bad time to mention i preordered the limited edition kh3 ps4 pro (to replace the beeping ps4)? . Now ill have physical and digital copies of the game on a ps4 with a kh3 screen print on it, even though id rather have it on x1....... Though at least the whole kh collection is on one box which i can't get on x1 (yet?). I'm a sucker for square rpgs.... Even if I'm not really a Disney fan

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Bad time, why? Just because I couldn't care less about Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy doesn't mean that I don't grant anyone else the pleasure of liking and playing them, so if you do enjoy them, go ahead and do so.

Bummer that you had to buy a whole new console, though. No warranty anymore on the old one?

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX because you're inviting spoilers

Yeah, it does suck about needing a new machine. Pretty sure the issue is either this one overheating, or a faulty sensor that thinks it's overheating.....i noticed if i leave it on the home screen or store it doesn't beep, but if i run a game, as soon as the housing starts making expansion sounds, the beeping starts shortly after. Maybe it'll work forever, but i can't play while hearing beeping the whole time . At leasti got a limited edition for a series i care about. If nothing else those LE consoles can resell for more than you paid.... The god of war one lists on Amazon, used, over $800 some times. . But i like kh so i don't if sell. Smart money says i should have been scalping ps4 LEs too get rich the past 4 years.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I'm not inviting spoilers at all. I don't care about the game, and @DarthNocturnal was the one mentioning it first, AND gave a spoiler alert, so yeah...

And scalping? We may not always agree on things, but I never figured you would want to become one of these deplorable characters. No offense, but I positively hate scalpers. That article from a few days ago about the idiot selling modded Classic Minis only reinforced my convictions where that is concerned.

As for the beeping PS4: you could still send it for repairs, or at least get an estimate for the cost of it. Might not even be that bad, and at least you'd get a spare PS4 out of it...

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish Figured I'd save you the time to search for the other two 'Dreamcast hidden gem' videos, since as mentioned in that first hidden gem video, it is a three part presentation, so here they are:

And here's a nice one about rare and crazy expensive ones:
Well, that's all for Dreamcast, hope you find some that you like among them.

Dezzy

Just found Kingdoms of Amalur for £6. Damn, I'm having such a lucky streak with backcompat games. In the last month, I've bought FF13-2, Fable Anniversary and Amalur, all for really low prices. 3 games I've barely played too.

@NEStalgia

Being less FF than 13 is why it's sold well though. People love openworld action RPGs in general, that was my point. FFXV deliberately pandered to the mainstream western market, hence it sold well.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

So, now that I've posted a couple of video walls already, I figured I might as well keep that up, and also post some more on-topic ones, especially for the people that own an Xbox One, but never owned an Xbox 360, and seeing as I could even surprise @NEStalgia with a game he never even knew of before, these videos might just as well surprise any of you who actually did or do own an Xbox 360.

So, without further ado, here we go, starting of with a video that's half buying guide for hardware and peripherals, and half recommended games video, so if you're only interested in the games, skip to the 17 minute mark:

These other videos are just games, games, games:
In closing, here's an interesting, in-depth and honest Digital Foundry video about 6 Xbox One X games that are superior to their PS4 Pro counterparts, and 5 that aren't. Might help some of you to decide which version to buy, if you own both consoles...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

BlueOcean

@ThanosReXXX It's not redundant, you misunderstood my comment. Otherwise you are just wrong.

BlueOcean

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean Erm, you'll have to excuse me, but I have no idea what you're talking about, so either you're responding to a comment from several pages ago, or you're confusing me with another user.

On a side-note: I'm seldomly, if EVER, wrong, so that's pretty unlikely.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic