Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,821 to 6,840 of 11,903

FragRed

@ThanosReXXX That's alright, they'll announce another controller during the next Inside Xbox

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

ThanosReXXX

@FragRed And if all else fails, we could always get the Adaptive Controller instead...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

redd214

Anyone have any experience with Astro headsets? Specifically the A10s, looking to maybe get a couple pairs for the kids and looking at their controller too. Any feedback on reliability from anybody

redd214

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX Nah, the setup makes sense about Reach. Gaming's reached a point where multiplayer DLC is problematic for the stability of an install base meanwhile single player DLC doesn't cause disruption. Even Nintendo's doing this with games like Splatoon 2.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano It might make sense from their point of view, but as a customer, I don't give a rat's @ss about disruption amongst whatever or whoever. I care about companies not BS-ing me, and that's what actually IS happening here.

Saying you want people to know the full Halo story/saga, but subsequently saying that you will only be able to do so by paying for it, while it SHOULD have been a part of a Halo collection in the first place, is sending out a REALLY poor message, far as I'm concerned. And between all the other Halo games on offer in the collection,
I don't see too many people taking an interest or putting time and energy in Reach's multiplayer, so the focus should be on the campaign part, plain and simple. (edit: the reason why I feel so strongly about this, is because they themselves keep talking about "completing" the saga/story, and you do that with the campaign, NOT with the multiplayer component)

Personally, I'd rather sooner say that gaming's reached a point where multiplayer (and/or its DLC) has become an annoying predominance over the ACTUAL substance of a game's own content and story line, to a point where some games feel like they simply have a couple of hours of single player content tacked on, just to appease those players, like me, who aren't really all that invested/interested in online multiplayer. It used to be the other way around, and that was the best deal: you had this great game that you could play, and once you'd finished it, you could extent its longevity by taking on your friends in online multiplayer, or replaying the campaign WITH your friends in online co-op mode to gain extra points or unlock more stuff.

But all that is gone or turned upside down now, and that, in and of itself, is a crying shame. Unfortunately, it's here to stay, so it's adapt or quit, in most cases, so more and more and slowly but surely, I'm driven towards retro gaming, and/or finally being able to address my humongous backlog. Which, now I've said it, actually doesn't even sound too much like a bad thing...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Ohh, I stopped following, is Reach really coming to MCC finally?! I've wanted to play that...still have a sealed 360 copy. MCC treatment would be great!

@ThanosReXXX I certainly don't mind them charging for Reach....that's represents a lot of manpower to retool, which is new work that isn't free and wasn't factored into the original purchase price (and subsequent deep discounts.) That's fair. Multiplayer for free is weird, but I guess they make the money back on Live for that os it's not "really" free, but free for subscribers in a sense (can't do much with it without subscribing.) If there weren't subscriptions attached to online, I really doubt online would be "free". You're paying for it. Even if you don't play it. Though I agree with you about games tacking on single player just to appease use. Online sports arena shooting really doesn't appeal to me, it feels like a time waster rather than an experience to remember.

@redd214 That depends. Do you listen to hard drives, or hear consoles whispering to you from 500ft away like some of us? Do you fret over pre-ringing and transient response? If the answer to all of the above is "no", Astros are great value, and reasonably reliable (though the wireless charging bases tend to be iffy for wireless models.) SQ isn't bad either, but if you're a little more picky about sound and want something a little better, but still gaming oriented, check out SteelSeries as well (plus of course traditional audio companies, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, etc. But in the dedicated gaming sphere, I do tend to prefer SteelSeries, but Astro's a runner-up for sure.)

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia thanks. Sound quality isn't the biggest deal, I'm buying them for my kiddos so I think even the entry level will be adequate. Use the Sony Platinum headset for myself, works terrifically! And no I'm not quite as sensitive as some of you guys lol. But I have actually run into an issue with the S. Something is wrong with the disc drive unfortunately. Bought Into the Spiderverse for my sons birthday and tried playing it and it won't read either of the Blurays. This is actually the first time a disc has even been in it since I bought this one in November. Going to be taking it back to BB to hopefully get an exchange here soon so not a huge deal.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 I'd actually looked into the platinums for PSVR but saw a ton of bad reviews for cracking headbands, and in the process realized the SteelSeries wireless I had actually fits over the visor nicely, and can be wired to the jack. That's unfortunately about the disc drive! Yuck! Does BB take things back that long after purchase, or did you get a GeekSquad (ugh, I hate that name) warranty?

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia have had the platinums for a couple years I think and haven't had any issues. Of course I use them pretty infrequently to be honest. Yeah I got the GS warranty. Have a family member who works there and gives me some let's say very consumer friendly deals lol. Doesn't cost too much extra and am glad I got it in this case.

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I don't mind them charging either, but charge people for the right part, that makes the most money, which is the multiplayer part, and give the people who already bought the entire collection and who want to complete the story line, the necessary component for free. Offering the main part of a game (which in the case of Reach was still the campaign part) as paid DLC is not only weird, but for me personally borders on a scam.

I do understand your point, from a developer point of view, but the mix up (or my annoyance, mostly), far as I'm concerned, comes from them trying to make it sound as if they're making you a great offer by adding Reach to the list, so you can finally complete the Master Chief Collection, and as I already said before, the multiplayer part isn't really the component that completes that story. Not even if you ARE a fan of online multiplayer.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, I see that, but if you look at the precedent for MCC, ODST was a paid DLC and the multiplayer wasn't available at all. (But then was added in for free later for everyone with MCC.) So in this sense they're remaining consistent with other entries in the MCC. I might agree with you in concept but that's already the established way they added titles with the MCC purchase.

Technically with Halo, it's a weird fanbase. It is weird they're messaging that it's to complete the story though. I feel like the Halo fanbase is like the Quake fanbase....only online matters. Halo 5 is all about online. I'm a little afraid of Infinite for that reason. So probably most of the fanbase is overjoyed at the "only important part" being free.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia
ODST was paid? I could've sworn I got it automatically when I downloaded the update.

I haven't played it though. Is the purchase screen after you load the game or something?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia It doesn't really matter if they've already done it before, especially if it's only with one title, and especially if it's with one title that didn't have multiplayer initially, so that makes it anything BUT the standard way of handling these things.

I think we'd better agree to disagree on this specific point, because for me, it's a strong sentiment, and I don't think anyone is going to be able to make me reconsider it. I think it's a HUGE missed opportunity, and the way they're marketing it so far, is factually wrong, that's not even a part of the debate.

As for the fan base: I've got all the games, my friends have all the games, and we all like the Halo universe and the stories concerning Master Chief and so on. We only ever saw multiplayer as an added bonus to extend the longevity of all these titles. Could also have to do with most of us being 40+ gamers, which might make us look at things a bit differently than 12 year old Timmy, who only wants to scream at his friends while wearing his WAY too large Turtle Beach headphones...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Whatever. Either way, I hope all of them grow deaf LONG before their 40's, so I can still laugh at them before I leave this world for good...

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy It was a free apology to those who played MCC before a certain date in 2015 and then became cheap paid DLC for everyone else.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I STILL can not possibly understand how they can stand ear damaging volumes without enduring pain. It's like they're genetically a different species. With all my selection of huge driver headphones with insanely powerful amps.....I rarely get the dial above 8-9 o'clock before it starts feeling painful and I have to back the dial down!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Me neither, but seeing as even my ears are already beeping sometimes (and I never even played my music that loud to begin with, but apparently already loud enough to cause that effect), I can imagine that the effect will be several times worse for them. Some of these kids have their music on so loud, that when they're in public transport and they use in-ear phones/earbuds, almost the entire crowd surrounding them can "enjoy" the music right along with them...

redd214

Xbox live coming to mobile devices soon. Really excited about where they are going with this. If I can chuck my Xbox and still get to play Forza on any other device I'm definitely down for that!

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/14/18265214/micr...

They also announced an app to play PC games remotely on an Xbox if one wanted to.

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic