Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,721 to 6,740 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Chances are, that if you're already the owner of an Xbox, it could serve as an amplifier/tether for the service, so I wouldn't try to get rid of it just yet. And besides the Xbox, you'll probably still need Xbox Live Gold...

By the way: I wonder why you'd mention the distance away from an internet location in time units. I don't know if that's a standard thing in the US, but over here, an ISP's strength of signal is measured by the distance you're away from a main internet hub/central. To have good reception/bandwidth, you'd need to be at least within a perimeter of 14 kilometers, and the lower that distance, the better the signal. I'd say that a 30 minute drive is a whole lot more than 14 clicks away...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

redd214

@ThanosReXXX it's actually less than 15 miles, reason for time is constant traffic in the area. Makes more sense in my head to gauge time than distance. They have a AWS data center 2 miles away though so I will be fine regardless. Thanks though.

As far as the Xbox, I'd be surprised if I don't sell it by summer lol. Forza games are great fun, but nothing on the Horizon (pun intended lol) really compelling for me. Gold is the price of a tank of gas so not worried about that cost at all. Requiring an Xbox itself in my view kind of defeats the purpose but that's just my opinion. We will find out in a few weeks I'm sure!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 I didn't mean that it would be required for the service, because that would mean you'd have to buy one if you're a Switch-only gamer that wanted to use xCloud, but what I did mean is that existing Xbox owners might have some benefits connection-wise, because of already having a local computing device in their home that could be used to stream the games to your smart phone or Switch, or at the very least, it could help lighten the load for the distance that the service might have to travel. It is after all, the power of the cloud, so local power could definitely be used to add to that...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Dezzy

Streamed gaming is one of those things, a bit like ebooks, that just feels incorrect to me.
Like I don't quite trust it, even if it works fine.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy To that, I can agree. Especially if I have to pay for it...

Buizel

@Dezzy as a fan of digital media in general (books, videos, music, games)... I really don't see the appeal of streaming.

I mean, it's nice to have the option... But I can only see it being the preferred option for a tiny minority at this point.

Gaming is fundamentally different from these other media in that it's interactive. And latency in streaming is going to have a massive effect on that. Not to mention the relatively large bandwidth requirements needed to provide a stable video stream.

Gaming at home? You'll get a much better experience from your own console. Gaming on the go? Good luck with fleeting internet connectivity.

I think it's an idea worth exploring but I really can't see it as the future of gaming.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Dezzy

@Buizel

Yes it's partly the latency issue. But specific to the streaming thing, I also dislike giving away any control and power to corporations.
At the moment, I can go home and turn my console on to play a single player offline game, in a way that no-one else knows what I'm doing and has no control over me.
Streaming opens up the opportunity for that to change. Not only will the provider know everything you're playing (and even learn very specific things about your behaviour if they want to) but they'll also have the power to cut the service off for you.

Buizel

@Dezzy That certainly is a worrying thought =/

At least 2'8".

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Metal Gear Rising? Hasn't that already been offered once before?
And another Xbox Original game! Guess I was right, that these are going to be a standard addition from now on. Wonder what's in store for the rest of the year, where those are concerned.

redd214

@ThanosReXXX no clue man, I've only had gold.for.a handful of months.

2 more BC games also, Hydrophobia and Marathon: Durandal, never heard of either before but seems Marathon was the precursor to Halo which is neat.

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 That is correct. I've got both Marathon games on PC.
They used to be iMac exclusives at one point as well...

But two more games makes it six games total, or are you talking about Game Pass?

@DarthNocturnal So, basically like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare, except older?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Dezzy

@redd214

How could it be the precursor to Halo when Halo was a launch title?

Dezzy

@redd214

Lol talk about an idea not aging well. "Mac Exclusive"

Considering an Ouya port too!

Edited on by Dezzy

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy Not literal, but absolutely a spiritual predecessor. This is how they learned to make, and more importantly: improve their first person shooter games. If you can get your hands on it, through Steam or GOG or something, and if your a Halo/Bungie fan, then it's certainly worth giving a go. It's almost like your playing a work in progress for Halo 1, especially the remake. (original Marathon was on Mac first, then on PC, and then got an updated remake)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_(video_game)
@redd214 Your link didn't work for some reason, so I've added another one that does work. Maybe it's just on my side of the pond, but better safe than sorry, right?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Dang! My link doesn't work either. For some reason, the coding in NLife's pages, doesn't pick up the last part of "video_game" being typed in parenthesis (explicitly clear by the last bracket remaining black, instead of being colored red, like the rest of the active link), so the link only works when copied manually...

@Dezzy still a pretty fun game, though, regardless of it being on the Mac...
Here's some footage of the Xbox Live Arcade port on Xbox 360:

Dezzy

I really don't think my brain can handle looking at 3d games that are that ugly anymore.

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal But do you actually jump from character to character, or is it just you leading them, with a set number of commands? If so, then yes, it's the same as Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare, where you basically order your team around, to help you navigate and conquer an area, like also in the Brothers in Arms games, for example.

And squad based commands like that, albeit somewhat more basic, can also be found in the Rogue Squadron games on the GameCube.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic