Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,701 to 6,720 of 11,903

Dezzy

Are Microsoft forgetting that exclusive games are the main reason people buy consoles in the first place?

If every single one of their exclusives is on PC, and the lower spec games are on Switch, why should I buy the next Xbox console?
There's no reason to. I'll almost definitely get the PS5 instead.

That said, I'm glad this new rumor maintains their original claim that Halo Infinite will be cross-gen. I want that running on my current Xbox.
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/rumor-two-next-gen-xbox-models-to...

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy They won't care much, though. On the one hand, there will always be people that either want to remain exclusively on Xbox, so these will buy a console or an online subscription anyway, and I can practically guarantee you that if Project xCloud does indeed come to the Switch, that masses of people will take a subscription for that too, so on the other hand, their plan to go more into the direction of Games as a Service will also bear more than enough fruit for them, so it's win-win for them, no matter which scenario is going to actually be true.

And Phil Spencer has already said that, for the coming generation at least, there will still be a physical console for people who prefer that, so we can choose either streaming or local play. It's more choices, which is always a good thing.

The combination Xbox/Switch will ultimately be a VERY interesting one, in my opinion, if the whole "streaming Xbox games on Switch through Project xCloud" actually turns out to be true.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

WebHead

Xbox hardware will become like the Surface line basically.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy The PS4 did well enough without exclusive games. The first few years were virtually nothing but last gen ports and multiplatform games yet it still did very well. All it would take is arrogant Sony to stay arrogant going into the PS5 reveal and you've got next gen being a reversed current gen.

Then you've got the whole xCloud situation, it's probably going to be unreliable garbage outside Japan so Microsoft has a win-win situation. Microsoft gets into the Japan market via xCloud on Switch meanwhile the rest of the world has to buy the next Xbox or a PC to reliably play upcoming Xbox games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Dezzy Eh. MOST people buy consoles to play big, annualized multiplatform games and little else. It's why Microsoft can bungle the Xbone's launch, develop almost nothing of substance that's exclusive to the system, and still have it sell better than the majority of Nintendo's home consoles.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

That's why people buy A CONSOLE, not why people buy specifically either PS or Xbox.

What I meant was that there would be no reason to buy an Xbox specifically. People will just get a Playstation and then play Microsoft games on PC.

Ralizah

@Dezzy Most people buy one or the other depending on the price and how many of their friends owns one or the other. Advertising also has a major impact. There would have been a lot less PS4 owners if Microsoft hadn't handled the launch so poorly.

If Microsoft launches their next console at a lower price point and with comparable specs to the PS5, they'll likely become competitive in the console space again. Especially if they push GamePass hard.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Eel

What if project xcloud could work form your personal Xbox like steam link does?

That would be a good incentive to have your own Xbox even if you plan to play on another device, since you could have your own personal local server.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

IceClimbers

Besides, the real competition is in streaming with Google and Amazon, who both plan to enter the gaming industry. Google plans to announce their own gaming hardware at GDC in fact.

There's a reason Microsoft and Nintendo are partnering up. Gives Microsoft a leg up on the upcoming competition. Meanwhile Nintendo knows they don't have the capital and expertise to compete in streaming as they can hardly do a basic online infrastructure, so why not partner up with the company that already has a foothold in the industry? Hell, Microsoft may be paying them money to keep Google and Amazon off the Switch.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@Dezzy Most people buy one or the other depending on the price and how many of their friends owns one or the other. Advertising also has a major impact.

Yes but those friends aren't going to be choosing a console at random.
Most people I know bought X360 for the 7th gen, but then switched to PS4 this gen. It's not just the exclusives, but the starting price was an issue, and the fact that the PS4 is more powerful.
But exclusives are pretty much the biggest issue for single player gamers like me.

Grumblevolcano

Really bad mistakes by the competitor at and around system reveal is a huge factor why 360 and PS4 came on top. Hopefully Microsoft have learned their lesson from the mess of the XB1 reveal and E3 2013.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

Yes but excellent exclusives is one of the reasons why the PS3 caught up in the end, but the Xbone hasn't.

WebHead

I hope MS understands that top tier games take time. I worry thry are gonna rush stuff to fill gsme pass like with sea of thieves and state of decay.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

SharkAttackU

Wow, so i just have to say, i cant remember the last game i disagreed with the critical consensus as much as with Crackdown 3. Its a thoroughly modernized version of Crackdown 1 with with way more to do. Love this game! Contols are sublime and the ground pound and flying fist are so awesone to use. Clambering up buildings to grab a ledge is... BotW-esque? 7.5 or 8 outta 10 from me. Was CD3 supposed to be like rdr2 or something? It retains its identity while adding a bunch of improvements.

Carry on with the MS/Nintendo talk...

SharkAttackU

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano As a company with the best and most solid online services that money can buy, in the form of Xbox Live Gold, I highly doubt that Project xCloud will be garbage. If I understood the whole concept right, it's their way of trying to entice people with other devices to buy into Xbox Live Gold and play their Xbox games anywhere and on (almost) any device, so it would be rather stupid of them, after multiple years of working on the tech and now finally being about to release it to the public, to ultimately have it be some shoddy kind of product that will offer an unreliable quality of service...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

IceClimbers

@ThanosReXXX It definitely won't be garbage if they're planning to compete with Google and Amazon's own upcoming services.

Wouldn't surprise me if part of the Game Pass on Switch deal is an exclusivity clause to keep Google and Amazon off the Switch.

The gaming industry is going to go through some major changes over the next few years.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

I'm kind of expecting all game streaming services to be garbage outside Japan to be honest.

Grumblevolcano

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, in comparison, that's certainly true, and actually quite baffling that in the 21st (friggin') century, there's STILL areas with barely any internet, let alone decent speeds. More astonishing is that this is also the case in quite a few first world countries.

But all that aside, I really don't think that Microsoft can afford to screw up Project xCloud. Of course, they can primarily only take care for all things on their end, but when partnering with other companies, such as possibly Nintendo, I'm sure they'll work with them to see to it that the service will work as it's supposed to.

redd214

Personally have high hopes for xCloud. I'm very fortunate to be in a place with awesome internet, PS Now and the Google cloud beta both work almost flawlessly even on my below average laptop. Hope to hear more about Amazons solution soon, their new HQ will be like 30 mins from my home so expect that to be good as well. If xCloud can allow me to get rid of my Xbox and still play a couple exclusives on whatever I want, it will be more than worth it. Things are definitely changing!

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic