Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,661 to 6,680 of 11,903

redd214

@NEStalgia thank you!

Played the full game today some solo and some coop. I can see why some like it but think I've had my fill already. Much like watching the Expendables or Rambo, fun couple hours but not enough substance to make me want to watch/play again. Interested to see how the evolve over time.

Also used some GS points to sign up for ea access for a month to play the Anthem trial. Going to spend a lot of time playing this I can already tell. Sucks I will unfortunately lose my progress but I can't wait for next week!

redd214

Dezzy

I don't understand why they went with auto-aim lock-on for the shooting. That seems kinda dumb. Takes a lot of challenge out of it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CanisWolfred

@ThanosReXXX I don't look at the score as much as I use it as a hub to skim through reviews, looking for repeated criticisms and (if it's a site I'm a bit more familiar with) try and figure out why it is they feel the way they do. In this case...even the positive reviews don't seem to offer much of a selling point. Seriously, what does this game offer that you couldn't already get as the core part of at least 5 other open world games? Crackdown can be simple fun, but I forgot that when I got the first game, I got it for $5 (maybe $10?) in a bargain bin. Expectations certainly play a part in how much people enjoy something. And if all they're offering is a light upgrade over the original game, then I fully expect Crackdown 3 to be another bargain bin pick-up for me.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DarkRula

@Dezzy The auto-aim lock-on is kind of needed when you're jumping about like crazy with air dashes and such. For on the ground, you can get away without using it.

Ten hours of play and I'm at the final boss, which is turning into a how do I do this with what it throws at you.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy According to that video you posted earlier, you can switch auto aim off, but that apparently makes it worse.

@CanisWolfred Well, I wouldn't call it a light upgrade. If you've played the first one recently, which initially took me aback a bit, when I played it on the Xbox One, because it does look REALLY rough nowadays, and then compare that to the third installment, then that looks considerably better. Each new game in the series improved on the graphics and on the gameplay, but the core remains the same: collect power ups, become a super hero cop and find and kill the villains. And have some crazy fun with your powers while you're hopping around the city.

I'll admit the gameplay is pretty basic, but I honestly wasn't expecting much more. There's some side missions here and there, which were also always a thing, and all of that is what makes it Crackdown. And sure, other series also have some of that, and may do certain things better or different, but that doesn't mean that Crackdown is a bad game. I think Microsoft made a BIG mistake, betting on the whole cloud-powered destruction mod too much, and in the process of doing that, the delay was simply too long, which ultimately makes the game feel a bit older than it should, but to me, it's still Crackdown, it looks and plays more or less similar as the other two installments, and that was all I ever expected from it.

I wouldn't have wanted it to be a completely different game, with all kinds of things heavily changed or whatever, because that would have taken away that sense of playing a Crackdown game for me. Personally, I think that it is instantly recognizable as a Crackdown game, regardless of there being other games that do the same or more or do it better.

Mind you, I'm not saying I'm going to buy it the minute it is available, I haven't done that with the previous two games either. As far as that is concerned, I almost never buy a game the minute it comes out, unless it's REALLY good, and in the case of a multi-player game, I have some friends to play it with, so if they all buy that game as well, I might jump in right away, but normally, I often buy games at a later stage.

@DarkRula That final boss sounds like a job for that black hole weapon, or haven't you got that one anymore? (or is even that gun not powerful enough to defeat him?)

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

DarkRula

@ThanosReXXX Well, I haven't found such a gun yet I don't think, but I would hope such a thing exists. And even then I'm not sure it'd make things easier.

DarkRula

ThanosReXXX

@DarkRula Oh, it exists alright. Scroll back a couple of pages, and find the 30 minute playthrough video that @Dezzy posted. The guy that made the video shows gameplay with that gun. It's hilarious.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

DarkRula

I'll certainly see about finding it, then.

DarkRula

CanisWolfred

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, and honestly, my point is just that it doesn't look like a $60 game. Saints Row 4, inFamous, and arguably Sunset Overdrive & the Just Cause series have already taken the base experience that Crackdown tried to offer and added more layers on top of it all, so there's genuinely no excuse as to why they couldn't try to evolve the formula. I already own most of those games, and what ones I could get for less than $60 total. I personally expected better.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

redd214

Went back to CD3 today. My neighbor and I were both kid free today so we figured we'd plow thru the campaign in coop mode. It does get better at the end when you are super OP with all the weapons and abilities but still becomes very repetitive relatively fast. Was a satisfying weekend romp but I have no desire to go back, deleted after the credits rolled. Can definitely recommend a play through if you get it on game pass, but hardly worth a full price $60 tag imo. The foundation is great and I hope they dont kill the franchise as I can clearly see why people like it. We did play about 8 or so multiplayer matches but it was a pretty unpleasant experience to put it mildly. Hope they add more modes/match types/maps for people as its barebones at the moment and the much touted cloud based damage leaves A LOT to be desired. Ahh well, Back to Anthem

DEALS:

20% off Xbox controllers on Newegg with code EMCTVUB39 , $50 off Xbox consoles with code EMCTVUB42

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@CanisWolfred Fair enough. In the end, it also comes down to taste, or at least for a part. I also own Sunset Overdrive, but I never play it anymore, because I hate the "wire surfing" mechanics and the iffy camera that comes with it, which more often than not made me slide back in the exact direction that I just came from.
I found the gameplay too nervous in that respect, so I simply never got good at that, and in the end, I gave up. The game looks cool, but it just isn't my kinda game.

ThanosReXXX

Oh, well. For all the Crackdown 3 disappointed people: at least we can now download Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon, Super Bomberman R and Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy from Games with Gold, so still enough other choices to keep us busy...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

redd214

So my 10 hour trial with Anthem is up so figured I'd give my impressions of it.

Gameplay wise it's extremely fun. The flying, the movement especially is great. The gunplay is good and the weapons have a decent variety to them. Enemies for the most part are very bullet spongey though. The missions are pretty repetitive unfortunately. Mainly go here scan this, kill a wave of enemies, find the 5 glowing orbs, return them to this spot, another wave, move to next section etc. Enemy variety is lacking as well at least from what I've played.

Playing with others is where the game shines and I think it's going to be a bit of a slog trying to play this solo. Thankfully matchmaking is available for every activity to play with random but I think at the higher levels it's going to be very difficult without mics/coordination from a team.

Story wise it's pretty thin. Standard evil guys found a source of unlimited power, stop them! There are dialog choices but from what I've seen they have no impact whatsoever on the story itself. This definitely isn't Mass Effect or God of War. Also there is lore throughout the world in the form of codexes (codecies??) that full in the gaps much like Destiny which I personally don't like.

Both graphics and sound are top notch. The facial animations are much improved from Andromeda and the world itself looks fantastic but has very little variety unfortunately. Playing with a headset the 'thump" of the weapons is very satisfying overall and the environment sounds are good as well.

I think this game is going to review much like vanilla Destiny 1 or The Division, 6s and 7s. It's not going to get any favors especially being made by EA/Bioware. In the court of public opinion it's going to most like be polarizing. Ranging from "see told you so hahah, ea sucks bioware sucks, this game is trash lolz" to the hardcore who don't mind playing hours at a time and Grinding out for the next great loot drop.

Unless you're going in with the right expectation and want a looter shooter thats a work in progress will evolve and change over time but is light initially it's tough to recommend from what I've played. Granted it was only 10 hours but was the full game apparently. I'm still on board and will be playing on Friday but this one is going to be divisive for sure much like Destiny/Division/Crackdown have been.

A bit disappointing for me personally but not totally unexpected. Looking forward to having a game like this that I can play for an hour or 2 a day with friends and just grind much like Destiny and Division were for me.

Sorry for the long post

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Sorry for the long post? You've seen @NEStalgia's and my frequent text walls, right?

Very informative read, so thank you.

Don't tell @NEStalgia that you actually had even the slightest bit of fun with an EA game, though...

redd214

@ThanosReXXX you're welcome, I don't buy a ton of EA games but I have fun with them NFS Games, Madden, Peggle, PVZGW all a blast to play, and haven't been bothered by MTX in any of them. I'm not a card carrying member of the instant EA hate mob. He seems like the kind of person who complains just to do it sometimes so it's no bother lol

redd214

DarkRula

EA aren't all bad. They just make money grubbing decisions because they saw how rich Rockstar were getting with GTA Online and keep trying to copy them to disastrous results.

That's how I see it, anyway.

DarkRula

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Yeah, got quite a few of these NFS games myself, albeit only on the previous gen console. And only because they're more or less the spiritual successors to the Burnout games, and because I always liked the old NFS games, from back in the PC and GameCube days.

I also used to play a lot of their other games, like the James Bond games, Medal of Honor, Dead Space, Battlefield, Dragon Age, and so on, but the latter more because of Bioware than because of EA.
And I always loved the SSX games, so I've got all of those as well, but this generation, I still haven't invested in any EA games so far.

CanisWolfred

@redd214 Considering how Destiny 1 had content cut to sell later, and The Division was raked over the coals for its early performance, and both games saw a sharp drop in players until their first major expansions, I think the criticism Anthem's garnered is warranted. It wasn't acceptable back them, it's not acceptable now. They shunted it out the door to bolster their fiscal year-end reports, and get a boost to their EA Origins Access subscriber numbers. Looking at their post-launch plans, in 6 months to a year, it'll be at the point it needed to be at launch, just like Destiny 1. At the very least, there's no need for anyone interested to purchase the game now.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Nah, I don't hate all EA games, I just hate EA (and the fact that they almost never produce actual games anymore....) I actually quite like many of EA's actual games they used to make, and that's what frustrates me about them. They have a stable of great IPs and some fantastic games in their legacy....and they mostly just refuse to make them, and on the off chance they do they just use it as a carrot on a stick for micropayments. Mirror's Edge, C&C, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dungeon Keeper (Molyneaux, though, that's another can of worms ) lots of good stuff....that never sees the light of day. Or at least not properly buried in their dreadful business practices.

@redd214 That does sound disappointing. I believed them at the Bioware E3 roundtable when they talked about commitment to story, single player experience, blah blah. "It's still a Bioware game!" riiight. I knew it was just going to be EA's Destiny (fun timing as Activision jettisons their Destiny... ) but a kind of samey looter shooter still sounds a bit disappointing (I actually preordered this ages ago despite my hesitations.)

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic