Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 6,181 to 6,200 of 6,731

Delibheel

Don't be sad, I don't particularly care about NES or SNES games, besides a few favorites.

I grew up with the Gameboy and the N64.

If anything, the N64 changed it, since the A button became the universal Accept button, while the B button became the universal Back button.

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ReaderRagfish

Most Gameboy games I played used A as the accept button and B as the back button. Even some NES games (like Final Fantasy) were like that too for their menus.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Delibheel

Yeah but I think back then devs liked to change these around, just look at the SNES...

Starting with the N64, I don't know any game that strayed from the A=Accept B=Back format.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

BlueOcean

But the A button is on the bottom on N64 like on the Microsoft and Sony consoles. I grew up on SNES and N64.

BlueOcean

Delibheel

See? The N64 is the only one with the A button below the B button.

Even the GameCube has the correct buttons in the correct formation... Just reiszed and deformed...

Edited on by Delibheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

BlueOcean

@ReaderRagfish I had the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance but not a lot of games, I don't remember now how the buttons worked so you are probably right but all the Game Boy consoles have just two front buttons like the NES. Was the right button (A) to accept on Game Boy? On SNES was B.

@Yosheel Noooo, that's not what I am saying but the position on the controller! The DS was the first Nintendo console to have four front buttons (in a rhombus layout) with exchanged functions compared to SNES. And SNES Classic Edition was released last year so it's more evident now.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Delibheel

As far as I know, B=Accept and A=Cancel was not the absolute truth for SNES games.

It was up to the devs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: A=Accept B=Cancel was not the defined standard for Nintendo consoles with multiple buttons until the N64. The formation and location of the buttons is not all that relevant for my point.

By the time the DS came out and they decided to use the SNES button layout, there had been already several consoles with a consistent A and B function scheme, so it made little sense to swap them or change their functions.

Edited on by Delibheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

BlueOcean

@Yosheel I am not saying that it's the absolute truth, I am just commenting on the issues brought to the thread by you.

BlueOcean

ReaderRagfish

@BlueOcean Yeah, the A button was on the right and was used as accept in pretty much every game where the start button wasn't accept.

The most confusing button layout for me was PS1. Depending on which game you're playing, accept can be X or circle, and back can be X, circle, or triangle.

Edited on by ReaderRagfish

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

BlueOcean

@ReaderRagfish Haha, sounds confusing enough. The Final Fantasy games had a unique configuration, right?

On SNES I don't remember any game where A was accept and B cancel like on DS (and Game Boy). It was either B or START to accept (some games even display "Press B" on the start screen like Super Mario Kart) but there were games that used almost any button to accept and had no cancel button so you had to reset the console to cancel.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Ahh, so your Brook is also a wireless dongle? I guess it's not too different then. What's special about the One X is it attaches to the controller into the battery compartment, it contains the rechargeable battery you'll use on the controller, though it's unfortunately small so you only get a few hours of battery life compared to many hours on AA or Play&Charge batteries. OTOH, it has gyros (X1 is the only console without gyros in the controller, so that's a big deal if using it on other machines), and it can turn on PS4 remotely (not sure the dongle ones can do it, however it can't turn Switch on.) Other than that I guess there's no real benefit other than that one controller will work on PS4, Switch, and X1 without separate dongles for each, and that it supports motion controls for PS4 and Switch (more important for Switch though.)

I'm far from fluent and only slightly literate like a young child, but I can fumble my way around Japanese when needed My grammar is horrific though if trying to form sentences to the point of probable incomprehensibility. I think they recommend, what, 20 years to be JLNP3? And that's far from native.... It's rough going from English, though ironically Japanese to English is apparently even worse (the same conversion in the opposite direction but THOUSANDS of vocal sounds we have in English that don't exist in the sparsely tonal Japanese language.)

Yeah, I'm a bad influence on @yosheel

Also, my Jaw dropped to the floor, I went to PushSuare for the first time in like 10 months just to see if their Fallout review was up.....I scanned the comments in an article and saw a post from you. I finally peeled my jaw off the floor.

@Yosheel Yeah the A/B thing never EVER stops being annoying with XBox and Sony being different from Nintendo (yet on Japanese models, Sony actually matches Nintendo and XBox is the odd one.) On Sony, they changed it because "circle" means "yes" in Asia, while "X" means no. Here in the west, "circle" means nothing, red means no, and "X" can ambiguously mean yes, or no depending on who's using it and how..... XBox does it inverse because XBox inherited the Dreamcast layout.....Sega was A-B-C on the Genesis and Saturn, and when they moved to the diamond shifted the 3-button into the current XBox layout. So it's really Sega's fault for doing what Nintendon't. Conveniently it also matches the 6-button layout of their arcade cabs... Nintendo's been consistent, actually.

Eventually muscle memory gets it right 80% of the time. But Dark Souls Switch messes you up forever.

The UI is actually excellent, it's my favorite of the systems. My advice: Ignore the home menu at all. It doesn't exist. IT's just there for when you boot up. ALL activity happens on the guide menu which is conveniently similar to the Windows Start Menu. Unlike the PS4 and Switch interface it doesn't pull you out of the whole game into a full screen menu to do anything, you can do everything in the popup menu with your game still visible behind it. It's really slick once you get used to it.

Pro Tip: Organize your digital games into Groups (folders) and make them visible on the guide menu. You can then access your entire library in a nice tabbed list right in the little popup menu only ever having to go full screen if you want to brows/manage the full catalog/download queue, or system settings.

It's my favorite interface of the consoles once you get it set up like you want it. Switch is a very close #2 (might be #1 if it ever got folders), and PS4 was hideous on day 1 and is still hideous. Gawd I hate that UI...it makes me miss XMB from PS3.....and that's really sad.

NEStalgia

Delibheel

I actually did create some groups. I didn't know I could see them in the start menu though, so thanks for the tip.

Xbox seems to have the option of changing the control scheme universally. Not sure if that's a good idea to "Nintendize" the controls, or if it would get more confusing with the in-game prompts.

Edited on by Delibheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia So then the disadvantage of my adapter is that I can only use it on one console for one other console's controllers, that's why Brook has so many models but the advantage is that it doesn't require any additional accessories on the controller while the disadvantage of yours is that it uses an accessory that goes into the battery compartment but as a plus it has motion controls for using the Xbox controller on Switch and PS4. Interesting.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies was one of the first games that I played on Xbox One, it has a type of enemy that is defeated by pressing different buttons that appear on screen very quickly, can you imagine that after having a DS, 3DS and Wii U? But I had a lot of fun with the game.

The thing I hate about the Wii U user interface is that annoying Mii voices are heard while using the GamePad. I have to mute the volume because of that. The PS4 has relaxing music like GameCube that you can turn on and off but the UI doesn't make any sense, it's like a list of recently used games/folders, a "Most popular" list of your own games... :S There is a Library section at the end by I never use it and you can do a few things with the home button like turning off the console and little else. The PS store is also a bit chaotic (like the Switch store). The Xbox One is the most useful and yes you can do anything on the Guide: launch favourite games and apps, check the download queue, start a voice party, find friends, go to screenshots, go to Settings, go to My games and apps, turn off the console... The Home screen has new tabs that I find useful: Game Pass and Store (but the Store is also on the Guide). I like the recent changes they introduced on the UI, especially on the Guide.

BlueOcean

BrainOfGrimlock

It’s not the layout of the PS store that bothers me all that much, it’s that the thing crashes, hangs or just flat out refuses to work seemingly every time I use the thing - i do all my PS store shopping on a browser now just to save the rage.

The xbox UI is in a much better place now after what feels like 600 overhauls, but I still think (and it may be a rose-tinted opinion) that the store was largely better/more responsive on the 360. I’m pretty happy with how it is now though, although i’d like it to be even quicker as - whilst an improvement - it still gets a touch of the sluggishes now and then.

BrainOfGrimlock

BlueOcean

@BrainOfGrimlock Microsoft has received tons of complaints about the Windows/Xbox websites including mine because I like browsing games on the PC and phone and it was so confusing, I used to get Windows results when searching for Xbox games, even games that are not playable on Xbox. They have been trying to merge the Windows and Xbox stores with different levels of success. Now Xbox.com is much better organised but it could still be better. Browsing games on Xbox One can be slightly sluggish occasionally (is it connecting to the Xbox website database?) but the sections are clean and well organised and searching games is very easy so as a shopping UI is the best. The PS4 shop crashes but I thought until now that it was my connection.

EDIT:
By the way for you guys with Game Pass there is the official phone app "Xbox Game Pass" very useful and simple to use for browsing games. You can even select a Game Pass game and install it while you are lying in bed and the Xbox is already off (in instant-on mode).

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

redd214

@BrainOfGrimlock really? I can't recall a time the ps store crashing or not working in 5 years. I go on there a couple of times every week and while it can be slow occasionally, never had the issues you described.

Friend Code: SW-6622-7227-4707

BlueOcean

@redd214 It has happened to me several times while checking the Deals sections.

BlueOcean

BrainOfGrimlock

@redd214 suspect it’s because i’m in Australia - we get spiders and snakes instead of nice things!

Our internet is also generally terrible over here too, although i’m one of the lucky ones; my xbox doesn’t have any issues (except live has been flaky as all heck for the past few weeks) so it must be where/what we connect to ps wise.

It’s quite a common complaint on our regional Kotaku; It’s better than it was but still maddeningly inconsistent.

BrainOfGrimlock

redd214

@BrainOfGrimlock ahh gotcha that sucks! Hope by the time next gen starts they have it squared away for you guys down under!

Friend Code: SW-6622-7227-4707

Dezzy

Perhaps the most annoying thing on Xbox/Windows Store for me is the fact that you need to click an extra "See Price" button to know how much something costs.
What on earth is the point of that?

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic