Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,141 to 6,160 of 11,903

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano You could say that but Square is hyping old style coming to Switch and X1..... And pushing new style-as-mobile on Switch

I also don't think MH is a lasting situation. New style will come to Switch. Old style exists on Switch only because it's what was available to port fast from 3DS.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Haha, well, it doesn't ruffle my feathers at all, if you buy it for "that other console",
just thought I'd give you a heads up on other worthwhile RPG's you might have overlooked.

The Xbox 360 Kingdom under Fire game is completely different from all the others, in that they changed it from more turn-based, strategic battle, to a more action RPG-oriented game, which made it less palatable for longtime fans, but more easily digestible for newcomers.

And the Risen games are practically must haves. Besides me thinking they're really good, they also scored pretty good in general. A nine on average, if I remember correctly, so if they ever come to any console, you will probably want to give these a look as well.

Same goes for the Sacred games. Different type of RPG, but pretty solid games, in my opinion.

Oh, and if you have 40 minutes to a small hour to kill, anywhere in the next few days, do give those videos a look over. Would hate for them to be posted for nothing, and who knows what interesting titles you might come across...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I'll have to keep an eye on Risen to see if it pops up as a remaster or BC at some point. I did go ahead and buy Resonance of Fate on PS4 though At least I'm starting to justify buying a replacement console.... finding some weird Japanese games on there I missed over the years.

Meanwhile, yep, following that power outage, on the X1 that's been behaving for months, now the hard drive stays on 24/7. No idea why. It's not even a system wide thing. The X1 that turns the drives on and off does them all simultaneously. This one seems content doing only the one drive.... the other one shuts off. It's certainly a software thing, but I can't imagine what keeps affecting how it handles drives simply due to ripping the power out from under it.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, if it makes you feel any better, my external drive light has also reverted to its intermittent pattern again, so on for a second or 30 - 40, and then off again, only to repeat itself approximately every hour. And we've had no power outage here...

Risen is a great series, and unfortunately, I never got to finish it, and now I've got such a backlog that it'll probably never happen, unless it does indeed come to Xbox One. With grades as high as it got for all games in the series, and its popularity amongst RPG fans, it would seem very likely that it will come to the BC list at some point, so here's hoping for it to happen. Might inspire me to finally finish the series...

But don't overlook the Sacred series, those are some highly enjoyable dungeon crawlers. I don't know about 2, but I do know that Sacred 3 is backwards compatible.

On a completely unrelated side note:
You'll never guess what news item just fouled up my TV screen in the daily entertainment show that I watch while trying to enjoy my dinner....

Yup. It was the Carlton vs Fortnite case...
Try to guess before you actually reveal the spoiler...

Yet another example of how "brilliantly" fast the world works these days...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia It would seem that your PS4 Pro re-purchase is about to grow in personal value even more, seeing as I've found out that the game Risen 3 Titan Lords has already been re-released a couple of years ago as an Enhanced Edition, but only on PS4, so there you go, it wasn't all for nothing...

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal I do seem to vaguely remember Will Smith calling him a pumpkin-head in one of the many, many episodes. Or I just made that up to at least make some sense of it all...

redd214

@DarthNocturnal well of course, go after the biggest and if you win you can shake down everyone else easily

redd214

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Huh, interesting, maybe it's not just me then and is coincidental. Three XBoxen, 3 different HDD behaviors..... None of this weirdness happened before that October update with the changes that sped up the My Games page.

Yeah, I always thought of Sacred as "Diablo clones" even on PC and never looked into them, but they do have a good track record.

LOL, I didn't guess before checking the spoiler. That's rediculous! Then again, media just reports whatever is trending on Twitter, so the lowest common denominator of middle school level thinking directs world events...... joy to the world!

LOL, awesome that Risen 3 got ported...though...I wonder if that makes much sense without 1 & 2? Still at least my previously lean PS4 is growing in value again. I kind of didn't like having 3 consoles but only a handful of games to justify the third. Now each has it's own unique library again and the world is in balance Switch for everything I want handheld, Sony for 1st party, Weeb bait, and all the games they paid someone off to take from Nintendo/PC/XBox, and X1X for everything else

@DarthNocturnal I'm still trying to figure out how an actor in a show they don't own, playing a character they don't own, gets to sue someone for using a gesture of the character, and referencing the show gets to sue. Epic probably should be sued, but that would probably be Warner Bros, Comcast-NBC-Universal, or the Borowitz's with rights to do so.....not Ribiero. And that he's claiming that tomato is his likeness.....I mean you can't make this stuff up. I give it 2 days before some organization storms in with racism charges.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia No, there is some back story, but you can safely play Risen 3 without having to play any of the previous ones. Stuff will get explained/hinted at during gameplay, almost like in your average Zelda game...

Far as the Fortnite-mare goes, I wouldn't even be surprised if they turn the story around and some crazy @ss lawyer or SJW starts to claim that Ribiero actually invented the pumpkin-face, and that it was about the dance AND the exact likeness that he "invented". It's one of the weird @ss scenarios I've cooked up, to come up with a logical way to make sense of it all.

But in general, all this sue-business is taken to extreme levels nowadays. On your side of the pond, if someone chokes on a hamburger, even if it is his or her own fault for taking too big of a bite from it, then they can sue them for thousands of dollars, or even far more, potentially bankrupting any smaller establishment, and thoroughly annoying the McDonald's and Burger King's of this world, whereas over here, people should thank God on their bare knees if they get a couple hundred out of it, if any cash at all.

They'll probably just give the establishment holder a stern look and a warning, and let them off with just that. Maybe they'll be instructed by the honorable judge to put up a sign, warning people not to take overly large bites of their burgers, to prevent stuff like that from ever happening again. But then again: certain people are notoriously stubborn...

As for that Xbox update: could actually be it, but I'm not sure, because I'm not sure if I already had my external drive before that, or after the update. I think I bought it before that, but I wasn't really paying much attention to it, until you started making comments about your issues with them. And the first day I had it, the light was blinking on and off like crazy, because of all the stuff it had to download, so I ignored that and considered it to be normal.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal If you were known to be Carlton in your every day life, being known as a walking tomato isn't really much of a step down, is it?

@ThanosReXXX "Carlton is suing for using his dance moves" actually sounds like the story of a random episode of Fresh Prince, where he's ridiculed in his cardigan the entire time for his "moves" We need to ask Will Smith for a comment on this critical situation. Where's Aunt Viv?

It's sad here.....malls have taken all the water fountains out. Outdoor places that used to have water fountains, ponds, hills, etc, have taken them all out, or put big black fences around them to prevent anyone from going near it, because if someone falls in, it's millions, and it's a huge insurance risk and liability on the premiums. Everything needs smooth rounded edges. Nature must be prevented from existing, and any crack on a sidewalk is the homeowners liability! And if someone breaks in and robs you and falls down your stairs, YOU are responsible for their injuries and they can sue you! It's simply best to avoid ever going outdoors and avoiding all human contact of any sort.

It's funny, it used to be Europe that would baby everyone...... now it's the US more babified than Europe!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Doesn't really matter all that much whether you're known for being Carlton or for being a walking tomato, although especially the latter one will eventually catch up to you...

I can relate to the pro-burglar rules, because it's actually much the same over here. All we are allowed to do is sit them down, or put them on the ground and restrain them until the cops arrive, but we can't damage or hurt them, regardless of what they've potentially done to us. The world upside down indeed...

Cobalt

Hey guys,

I need some advices because I'm gonna get an Xbox One X this afternoon and I admit that I'm not familiar at all with the system, so I have a bunch of questions.

My first question is about the 4K capabilities.

I have an OLED TV (Panasonic TX65FZ800) and I would like to know if I have to buy a special HDMI cable or the one inside the box is perfect for 4K content (movies/netflix/games) ?

My second question is about backward compatibility.

Is it true that some original XBOX games are displayed in 4K when inserted in the XBOX ONE X drive ?
I still have some games like Ninja Gaiden Black, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Splinter Cell etc...

My third question is about the quality of the product.

I had several Xbox360 in the past because I got the Ring Of Death on 3 different Xbox360, so I would like to know if Microsoft makes better products now or if it's still the same chaos as before ?

And my last question.

There are Zillion FORZAs, Zillion HALOs in the catalogue...
If I have to buy one game of each licence, which are the one that I have to pick ? Forza 7 ? Forza Horizon 4 ? Halo 5 ? Halo Masterchief Collections ? etc...

Oups, another question ^^ If there are some great games that really shine on XBOX ONE X (exclusives and multi), do not hesitate to recommand these games to me !

In advance...
Untitled

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

redd214

If anyone is interested in GTAV there is a way to get it "free" from Amazon us if you have Prime. Takes a few steps but worked easily enough for me. Here's the details :

redd214

NEStalgia

PSA: The Crew 2 is 67% off for 1 day only (I didn't know they have DwG sales that last 2 days, but apparently they do. ) Not that anybody should waste money on The Crew 2, while Horizon 4 is a thing, but there it is if you're into that kind of thing.....

@ThanosReXXX I'm thinking, if the law is set up to favor the rights of burglars over the rights of the people they're burglaring.....then doesn't that mean it's legally encouraged to become a burglar? I mean I might as well stock on on ski masks and gloves and set off on a new career. Enough Porsche owners around here to clean up nicely, and the law guarantees my protection while hitting the buggers! The 21st century is bright indeed!

Also, I happened upon this Destructoid review of Risen 3.....maaaaybe I should skip that one. Destructoid is typically harsh but this is the harshest review I've ever seen from them:
https://www.destructoid.com/review-risen-3-titan-lords-enhanc...

I did buy Resonance of Fate on PS4.....and then 15 hours later it went on sale for half price...... I'm the kiss of death...whatever RPG I buy it's half price within days.

Also, I thought I figured out my HDD thing, I happened into the settings yesterday and discovered the "turn storage off" option was magically unchecked. I checked it...but....HDD still on the next day. Maybe it needs (another) reboot after I changed the setting. Ugh!

And that year in review web page is kind of cool.....except....I have a feeling it's entirely broken. It says I'm top 2% gamerscore, 8% hours, and top 1% of achievements earned..........which makes no sense at all, I barely go after achievements, mostly claiming only the ones that happen naturally in story/quest progression, let alone all the people that buy games purely for achievements. Something is definitely not right about these numbers....if I'm top 1%, XBox One sales are a lot worse than I thought. Plus it said my most played game was Asassin's Creed Origins, which makes no sense at all. Nier Automata alone should have surpassed it. I only got like 1/3 through AC Origins so far. Weird stuff!

Plus it generated this little snowglobe for me which is, honestly kind of disturbing.

Untitled

Though I guess if you remove the green and replace it with black it looks like a 70's metal album cover.... less disturbing, and now I need a pinball game.

@Cobalt I'm sorry, I need an hour or two to remove my jaw from the floor, then I'll reply.

j/k, but up until your top ten list in the PS4 thread being stacked with retro consoles I and everyone on NL thought you were a "Sony Pony" Welcome (back) to the gotta catch 'em all consoles club!

HDMI: The included cable is HDMI 2.0 so it's 4k/HDR/60Hz rated.

OG XBox: Among the supported list of games (admittedly, small compared to the 360 list), some of them are 4k enhanced, and some are not. Thanos probably has a better list than I do (there's the official supported list, but that's not always correct regarding 1X specific enhancements. Some unlisted games are in fact enhanced.)
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility
BC games are technically full download games, but the disc is the license key (obviously OG XBox code won't run right off the disc), but for a lot of them it's a far enhanced version using the PC assets of the original. Panzer Dragoon: Orta, Jade Empire, Star Wars KotR/II, for example are complete remasters using PC geometry and textures, effectively, looking as good or better than the PC versions back at release, all at 4k/60 (letterboxed for 4:3, of course, since 16:9 assets were never made for these games.)

Hardware: X1X is only a year old, so there's no long term statistics on their survival yet, but the X1 overall was intentionally overbuilt as a response to the RRoD (FWIW, RRoD was finally fixed in the last 2 revisions of the 360 with an all new mainboard. The RRoD problem stemmed from a mix of MS choosing a stupid "pinless" socket design for the SoC (they were all the rage as the up and coming thing in the mid '00's, catastrophically disastrous overall, and the industry has eliminated them since), plus the environmental changes to lead-free RoHS solder (brand new at the time) being insufficiently heated (higher melt point than leaded solder) by older manufacturing equipment. The mix of the higher solder point stress of the pinless socket, the improperly flowed solder, and the high heat of the machine guaranteed solder point fracture. It sucked, horribly, but it was a result of specific manufacturing issues of that time period rather than MS just badly designing it.) They overbuilt everything in the "VCR" XBone to undo that. 1S is just a refinement of that. 1X seems over-engineered. Again, it's a year old, so we don't know if they all start melting down after 24 months due to cooling solution failures or something, but overall the build of the machine blows PS4 Pro out of the water. PS4 pro is....to put it mildly...cheap feeling. It's not dense, it's cheap plastic with a poor cooling solution in an empty box. X1X feels like a solid piece of equipment. Very dense, good grade exterior materials, etc. iFixit teardowns show a very nicely designed interior as well. Long term? We'll see.

(Software-wise, it's technically Win10 kernel....so...expect the weirdness you'd expect from a Windows machine at times, like my mysterious hard drive issue above where it's not turning off the external HDD since the weekend power outage. That happened in Oct, then fixed itself for months, now it's doing that again....but that's a software issue, not a hardware issue. )

Controllers are famous (like with 360) for the sticks going bad, and some people that slam the bumpers have bumper bridge breakage (more common on Elite controllers due to the metal levers.) I had one Elite pick up stick drift, but, then, I had a gamepad, 4 360 controllers, one Switch Pro, and 1 Joycon develop drift, so....... DS3/4 hasn't drited on me yet but that's because Sony masks that problem by setting huge deadzones so even if it drifts, it has to be bad before it's noticed....the negative is less sensitive controls in games. Still, the internet has tons of people complaining about DS4 drift. This gen the potentiometers all vendors are using are plastic, not metal, so they're more likely to end up out of calibration if you're heavy handed.

Forza: So there are two different Forza series. Motorsport, and Horizon. Motorsport is the serious racing simulator (Gran Turismo's competitor.) It's real cars at real closed circuit tracks modeled, with weighty physics and lots of technicality. Motorsport is the one if you want to race on the actual Daytona track in a real grid. No reason, really to get anything but 7 since it has the latest physics model which is what the game is about. Horizon is the arcade or "simcade" series. It's open world, open road, in approximations of world locations. Cars move a little less weighty, a little more arcade (but still fairly simulator-ish) and it's more about fast crazy street races, jump ramps, smashing billboards, finding hidden cars, etc. You want all the ones you can buy. 4 is by far the best yet (just came out in Oct), but each game is unique more than just iterative, so you may want more than just 4's UK landscape (3 is Australia, 2 is a small tip of the Italy/France border. 2, also will be unavailable for purchase digitally soon (if not already) since the vehicle license contract expires now.) 1 is out of print (the trouble with licensed content...) 4 is, however the best overall, as the newest with the most refinement and more of Motorsport 7's physics added in.

Halo is Halo. 1, 2, 3, 4 are all included in the Master Chief collection, and ODST is a $5 DLC. Might be a digital only collection but it's often available cheap. There's no BC for the older games IIRC, which is why they made MCC to begin with. Reach isn't available for X1 yet, but there's always rumors that it will also be MCC DLC. Halo 5 is it's own game, and is more multiplayer focused but is the "newest." Halo Infinite arrives 2019 (probably.) For now, MCC is the thing to get it's most of the series in one purchase (I'd get the $5 DLC too because ODST is awesome, and why not get the first 5 titles together as one game?) Edit: Halo is story driven, so it pays to play those in order. Not essential, but if you're going to play them it's best to start at the beginning. 1 has the most repetitive gameplay, but it sets the stage, story-wise, for the rest of the series.

Exclusives: Depends on what you like. There's no "God of War, wow this is the most immersive thing ever" moment. But the list of "wow this is really fun!" list is probably too long to list here. ReCore, Sunset Overdrive are easy recommendations. Ryse is actually cool...it's QTE driven but it's kind of Platinum-ish. Multiplats...well, honestly, the majority of multiplats are best on X1X..... one can highlight RDR2 easily enough for that....

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Cobalt Well, the original HDMI cable that comes with the system is more than enough, yes, it is true that some original Xbox games are displayed in 4K, the Xbox One has no such issues as the Red Ring of Death, so no major problems with the system are known, so far.

As for the games: from Forza, you should probably get Forza 7, the latest in the series, although all of them are good and fun to play. An important thing to remember is that if you're looking for a more simulation like experience, you should go for Forza Motorsport, which is the main series. But if you are looking for a more relaxed, arcade like experience, you probably want to go with the Forza Horizon games, which are a spin-off from the main series and which are a bit less dry, so to speak. And the latest game in the series, Forza Horizon 4, is an absolute must-have for the system, because it is a true showcase of what the system is capable of.

As for other games: you can't go wrong with any of the Halo games, and there IS a story in there, so why not go with the Masterchief Collection? Then you'll have almost the entire bundle, save for a side story game, which you could always pick up later, or which might still be added via DLC.

Another great series that you should not miss is Gears of War, of which there are now 5 games in total.
As for the rest, it would perhaps be good to tell us what kinds of games you like, and I'm sure we could come up with some more must have titles, so we'll get back to that later.

Also, be sure to get a cheap Xbox Live Gold subscription, which you will be able to find here:
https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-li...
This is not just for online gaming, but also to be able to take advantage of Games with Gold, a great bonus to Xbox Live members, which offers you 4 free games each month: 2 for Xbox One, and 2 for Xbox 360. Most if not all of the free Xbox 360 games are compatible with the Xbox One system, and where the Xbox One games are only truly yours for as long as you are subscribed, the Xbox 360 games are yours to keep.

You can however, buy most of the free Xbox One games at a discounted price, once you've already downloaded them through the Games with Gold initiative.

You can take a look here to see which free games are on offer this month:
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold
Make a free account there, and also use that on your Xbox, to tie the two together.
(the page should normally direct you to your correct region, by the way)

If there are any other questions, feel free to ask.

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Well, at least it's still widely available in physical form...

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Weird, those results of yours. Mine actually do match with reality. Most played game is correct, and my list of favorite games is also spot on. Wonder why it doesn't match up for you. Must be the wonky hard drives thing...

Eel

Mine gave me mostly generic stats.

I think the skull was something about adventure games. Which I guess could be related to dragon age.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic