Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,121 to 6,140 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Well, far as I'm concerned, you can spoil away to your heart's content, since I never gave a crap about that series anyway.
Just be sure to use a lot of these guys: peek-a-boo!
Better not give anything away to the more sensitive people...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish And to think that my first comment was already a short-list...
The total number of spindles that I've downloaded, is 16. As in 16 50-disc cd spindles...

One other interesting thing I forgot, is that you also have a wonderful thing called Bleem! (yes, written with exclamation mark) It's like Xbox One X backward compatibility before there was ever an Xbox, or more exactly: PS2 graphics before there was ever a PS2...

Bleem! runs and upscales PSX/PlayStation 1 games, and before it was shut down, for obvious reasons, they already had 3 games officially released, with both the game and the emulator on the disc:
Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3, and Metal Gear Solid. The original discs are very rare and worth a small fortune now.

But the homebrew scene was able to crack the so-called uncrackable Bleem disc and this resulted in the unofficial version called Bleemcast, which can be downloaded for free everywhere. It functions as a boot disc, which you use to put the Dreamcast in a virtual machine mode that runs PSX games, so once the disc has booted up the virtual PlayStation, you can insert either an original or copied PSX disc and play the game in a far superior form on your Dreamcast. It truly is something that you need to experience first hand, so don't watch any videos to spoil it for yourself.

Just look for various versions, because the emulation isn't perfect, so you'll need more than one disc. There's Bleemcast yellow, which is the original, then there's blue, green and red. The last one is hardly ever used, so you can run just about any game with the first three.

So, if you still have some original PSX games, or are interested in them, then this will save you from having to buy a PlayStation for them.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish In that case, you might be interested to know that emulation, and most definitely upscaling, is superior on Bleemcast, even compared to Sony's own hardware. They use a different kind of emulation, that works on a deeper, more thorough level.

The only thing it doesn't convert/emulate, is PlayStation video, so intros and so on look like photo negatives, all in black and rainbow colors, but the games themselves look and run pretty good.
EDIT:
This is only true for FMV videos. In-game cut scenes using the graphics of the game, such as in Metal Gear Solid, work just fine.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish

P.S.

If you're still a bit overwhelmed and/or unsure with which games to start, then these videos might be a nice companion to the lists I made for you:

Oh, and do you have a VGA or HDMI adapter? Definitely worth the purchase if you haven't got one yet.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy it's an open world action game.....i.e. even less ff than xiii.... Still not sure how that's winning other than that real ff is forever dead because action games are now more profitable and the rpg crowd is paying $180/yr for 14.

@DarthNocturnal oh great.... How the heck does one get a copy 6 weeks early? Review code doesn't go out nearly that early, the game would have just gone gold.....

@thanosrexxx bad time to mention i preordered the limited edition kh3 ps4 pro (to replace the beeping ps4)? . Now ill have physical and digital copies of the game on a ps4 with a kh3 screen print on it, even though id rather have it on x1....... Though at least the whole kh collection is on one box which i can't get on x1 (yet?). I'm a sucker for square rpgs.... Even if I'm not really a Disney fan

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Bad time, why? Just because I couldn't care less about Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy doesn't mean that I don't grant anyone else the pleasure of liking and playing them, so if you do enjoy them, go ahead and do so.

Bummer that you had to buy a whole new console, though. No warranty anymore on the old one?

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX because you're inviting spoilers

Yeah, it does suck about needing a new machine. Pretty sure the issue is either this one overheating, or a faulty sensor that thinks it's overheating.....i noticed if i leave it on the home screen or store it doesn't beep, but if i run a game, as soon as the housing starts making expansion sounds, the beeping starts shortly after. Maybe it'll work forever, but i can't play while hearing beeping the whole time . At leasti got a limited edition for a series i care about. If nothing else those LE consoles can resell for more than you paid.... The god of war one lists on Amazon, used, over $800 some times. . But i like kh so i don't if sell. Smart money says i should have been scalping ps4 LEs too get rich the past 4 years.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I'm not inviting spoilers at all. I don't care about the game, and @DarthNocturnal was the one mentioning it first, AND gave a spoiler alert, so yeah...

And scalping? We may not always agree on things, but I never figured you would want to become one of these deplorable characters. No offense, but I positively hate scalpers. That article from a few days ago about the idiot selling modded Classic Minis only reinforced my convictions where that is concerned.

As for the beeping PS4: you could still send it for repairs, or at least get an estimate for the cost of it. Might not even be that bad, and at least you'd get a spare PS4 out of it...

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish Figured I'd save you the time to search for the other two 'Dreamcast hidden gem' videos, since as mentioned in that first hidden gem video, it is a three part presentation, so here they are:

And here's a nice one about rare and crazy expensive ones:
Well, that's all for Dreamcast, hope you find some that you like among them.

Dezzy

Just found Kingdoms of Amalur for £6. Damn, I'm having such a lucky streak with backcompat games. In the last month, I've bought FF13-2, Fable Anniversary and Amalur, all for really low prices. 3 games I've barely played too.

@NEStalgia

Being less FF than 13 is why it's sold well though. People love openworld action RPGs in general, that was my point. FFXV deliberately pandered to the mainstream western market, hence it sold well.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

So, now that I've posted a couple of video walls already, I figured I might as well keep that up, and also post some more on-topic ones, especially for the people that own an Xbox One, but never owned an Xbox 360, and seeing as I could even surprise @NEStalgia with a game he never even knew of before, these videos might just as well surprise any of you who actually did or do own an Xbox 360.

So, without further ado, here we go, starting of with a video that's half buying guide for hardware and peripherals, and half recommended games video, so if you're only interested in the games, skip to the 17 minute mark:

These other videos are just games, games, games:
In closing, here's an interesting, in-depth and honest Digital Foundry video about 6 Xbox One X games that are superior to their PS4 Pro counterparts, and 5 that aren't. Might help some of you to decide which version to buy, if you own both consoles...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Banjo-

@ThanosReXXX It's not redundant, you misunderstood my comment. Otherwise you are just wrong.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean Erm, you'll have to excuse me, but I have no idea what you're talking about, so either you're responding to a comment from several pages ago, or you're confusing me with another user.

On a side-note: I'm seldomly, if EVER, wrong, so that's pretty unlikely.

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel Ah, yes... the pineapple thing. But in all fairness, that was just because that crazy pineapple pen song confused me...

Eel

The Xbox site has 3 months of gold on sale for the price of one. It's only available for unsubscribed users, but thankfully my first month ended today. So yay, three more months!

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

You know, I'm frustrated with Tekken 7. I love that game, it's become my favorite fighter. Soul Calibur 6 is great, but it's so dry next to the energetic Tekken 7. But I always though it was just an ugly game. Apparently it's only a blurry looking mess on XBox. On PC, PS4 Pro it's 4k. On PS4 base and arcades it's 1080p. On XBox One X? It's sub-720p stretched into a blurry hackjob. And Bamco has no intention of patching it because it would be "such an undertaking" with the ancient Unreal engine it runs on (didn't stop a PS4 Pro patch, though.....) They pretty much openly abandoned XBox, but have the nerve to charge for a Season 2 DLC pass on XBox without updating the game.....how about charging us half of the PS4 price since we get the assets at less than half the resolution? I'd be so tempted to rebuy the game on PS4 and get a Brook adapter to plug my Razer joystick into PS4, but I kind of liked all my fighting games being on the X1..... UGH Bamco you wound me!

@ThanosReXXX You've advertised the Dreamcast in this thread in 2 days more than Sega advertised it during it's entire run. Think you can hit up the WiiU thread next?

Yeah I may end up getting this PS4 fixed to have a spare. I need spares of everything (preemptive pessimism, remember? ) It's funny, it runs....runs fine, but endlessly beeps. And keeps beeping more and more. It started as an occasional thing that would go away after it ran a while. Now it beeps for hours. No warranty, I actually bought it used, and I suspect the original owner knew about the problem. There was a rubber foot missing, and after researching beeping I read that there was a known problem with the OG PS4 with the contact switches causing spurious eject beeps and a screw you could loosen under the foot to help. That never applied to Pro, but in hindsight I bet the owner tried that. Ugh! But it was fine the first few months. I felt rediculous buying a new one since I mostly use X, but my PS4 library's growing a bit (Discovered an amazing series The Witch and the Hundred Knight on their current sale...And Danganropa which reminds me of the best themes of Persona 4. Also, Last Remnant which was a 360 exclusive that Square weirdly has stripped from the MS Store and Steam to give a remaster exclusive to Sony.....) So it's less a waste of money now.

Onto other preemptive pessimism news: There was a power outage over the weekend. At first I thought the one X1X was dead....(the one that flashes the HDD on and off) it was weird, it wasn't outputting video. Restarted it, no video. Then I turned the PS4 on and it was showing video, then turned it off and it went back to X1 and video appeared (phew!) But then this morning the one that the HDD's have been behaving now, suddenly isn't turning the HDD off at all.....sigh...

@Dezzy Amalur...wow...hadn't even heard of that.....now that goes on the must buy pile. R.A. Salvatore? Yes please!

FFXV You know, I love open worlds, I love RPGs, and even I'M getting burned out on the genre. Honestly I still don't get why it sold like it did. It's not FF for those that love FF. And it's too FF for everyone else. No idea how it was such a hit. It was supposed to be a spinoff. It was always supposed to be a spinoff. I fear, now that XIII is the last real FF that will ever exist, dreary as the base game was, and we're stuck with Western gameplay forever more. FF isn't supposed to be action....it's just not FF. I don't mind an awesome action spinoff series, but why FF mainline? What's next, Just Cause 5 is a turn based strategy? Tomb Raider 4 a management sim?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia "Wii U next?"

Nah, that isn't in any way Xbox-related, and besides: I only have 20 games, so I'm hardly the right person to show people what games to play on that system.

I figured, since the OG Xbox is more or less (or legitimately) the spiritual successor of the Dreamcast, it would still be okay to mention it here, and of course I primarily did it, to help out a fellow gamer and Dreamcast owner. Always nice to talk about great classic systems like these.

I'm still amazed at all your bad luck with the consoles and hard drives, though. But the PS4 Pro being a used one might account for some of it. Except for an officially refurbished Dreamcast, I've never bought a second-hand console, and most certainly not from a private seller. Anyway, here's hoping that the universe is going to be more kind to you from now on, since it would seem to me that you've already received more than your fair share.

Another thing that immediately crossed my mind after having read your comment, is:
"what's with you and never having heard of all these Xbox 360 RPG gems?"
First Blue Dragon, now Kingdoms of Amalur?
Man... never figured you wouldn't have heard of these.
Maybe you should also check out the following games,
if you haven't played them (or haven't heard of them) yet:

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Sacred 3
Eternal Sonata
Dragon's Dogma
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Resonance of Fate
Two Worlds
Two Worlds II
Divinity 2
Risen
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Tales of Vesperia
The Last Remnant

I do believe I've seen you mention those last two somewhere, but I included them anyway, just in case...

But of course, there's more than just RPG's, which is the exact reason that I tagged you in my comment with all the Xbox 360 videos. You might find some other interesting stuff among those as well. And there's quite a few backwards compatible titles mentioned...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Haha, yeah, I realized the DC/XB tie....

Yeah when it comes to hardware I definitely have some dreadful luck. I've bought a few used & refurbished consoles, and that's the first one to give me trouble, so overall it's not such a bad thing...this one...I should have taken it as a sign when it was packed into tons of packing peanuts....... I do have pretty awful hardware luck overall though, it's true. Now you see why those failing PC parts were so expensive! I spent more time fixing my machine than playing it!

You know I really have no idea how I missed all those RPGs! I was starved for RPGs at the time, stalking the release lists, and never noticed a lot of those! And I was more into my 360 at the time than PS3, so there's that, too! Still, I must have had the "RPGs are on Playstation" mindset they cultivated so well.

Cool list, wow! KUF I know from PC...but as an MMO series. I know Sacred. Eternal Sonata I actually have for PS3 though I recall I wasn't too enthused and didn't play it long. Dragon's Dogma (Dark Arisen ver.) I actually got for cheap for X1 back in summer....looks great so far, I started into the beginning.

Resonance of Fate....hmmm, I'm unfamiliar with it, but it looks good. Doesn't look back compat supported, and there's apparently an HD remaster for PS4 and PC. I may have to add that to the list...but for PS4....

Two Worlds...ugh, bad memories....I had that on PC...it ran like garbage, crashed constantly, and felt like a blatant Oblivion clone. I wonder how the console ports fared?

I didn't know a Star Ocean made it to 360! That's such a PS series overall that surprises me. Not back compat, unfortunately but I bet it's better than the last Star Ocean on PS4 that was kinda meh.

Vesperia: Got the HD version preordered for Switch (tempting to put it all on X1 but that kind of game is best on Switch even if it's a 360 exclusive originally.)

Last Remnant: That's the one that they've now pulled from the XB and Steam store and made an HD version just for PS4. Kind of a crummy move by Square, but yea, just bought that one for PS4

That's a cool list though. I think you sold me, ironically, on another PS4 game, Resonance of Fate

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Easy, old FF style becomes Nintendo exclusive meanwhile FFXV style becomes the norm for PS/Xbox. Kind of like what happened with Monster Hunter.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic