Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 4,821 to 4,840 of 7,987

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yes, it is a handy site, isn't it? I just came across it, while searching for a link to that Forza Horizon discount package, that @DarthNocturnal mentioned on the previous page, and that came up in the search results. Figured it might come in handy for you as well...

@Anti-Matter I can't imagine that from a list of 529 backward compatible games in total, that there isn't a single game among them that might be suitable for you, and besides the backwards compatible titles, there are of course also just as many Xbox One/multi-platform titles to choose from, so you probably have a list of more than a thousand games in total.

No one in the world can tell me and make me believe that they can't even find a couple of games that they like from such a HUGE list... (and just to be sure: you DO realize that the list isn't just one page, right? You can scroll through 27 (twenty-seven!) pages of backward compatible games in total)

And personal taste of course also doesn't mean that there is "no backward" at all. No offense, but that's ridiculous.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@redd214 I think Microsoft did the most changing. I probably bashed X1 as many times in the past and how I'm preferring it to PS4 as well Not unlike last gen with PS3 and 360. I guess I never learn But Don Mattrick's XBox was a disgrace. Phil's XBox really is giving gamers a machine for gamers. It's a niche change and makes it a really inviting platform. My only problem is I hate the green branding and love blue branding Minor complaints, but I do love the blue theming of PS brand stuff, and Nintendo Red is classic. Green feels a little sickly in contrast. In a platform about showing artistic creations palette matters

@Anti-Matter Well there's a lot of questions there. I do agree, PS4 for me, as well, has radically shrunk with that Square-Enix announcement. And I hate PS4 controllers as everyone here knows...XBox controllers are so nice (unless you're Ralizah, the only person I know who loves the DualShock with vigor!)

You're not missing Portal Knights on XBox, though your save data won't carry over. It's also on Switch and XBox One (in fact it's included in Game Pass subscriptions....and I just bought it for $8 digitally on sale (sale just ended 4 hours ago ) (I see why you like it. I like Dragon Quest: Builders more, but it's waaay better than Minecraft to my tastes. Way prettier too.)

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 though are (for now?) still Sony locked. So that's a loss. Though I also agree somewhat with your opinion of KH at this point. I do love my PS4 as well, I like both systems, but I'd have to rank it behind Switch and X1 and present. I can't recommend against PS4 specifically, but I have no hesitation recommending X1. Especially with most of FF now on all systems

I know everyone else already replied and I may be repeating them but:

UI: XBox UI is weird, but great after you get used to it. PS4 and Switch follow a similar theme: Press the "Home/PS" button to get to the Home screen. Navigate there, then go back to the game. XBox is very different. The Home screen is a mess. But here's the catch: You're not supposed to actually use the Home screen! It's just a default for when you power up the machine from a cold start. You actually do almost everything from within your game. The Guide menu pops up like the Windows 10 Start menu inside the game. You can navigate most things inside the popup Guide instead of going to the home screen. So rarely do you ever leave the game screen and go to the Home screen. More advanced/complete stuff is either in the settings (you can get to it on the far right tab of the Guide) or in the "My Games -> Show All" menu (which has your library, Groups (folders), download queue, updates, etc. Parental controls are in the Settings menu (a full screen menu accessible on the last "System" tab of the Guide popup.)

So coming from Nintendo/Sony you just get used to not using the Home screen and everything being visible on the popup. Your games are a separate full page in "My Games" but if you're using physical you won't use that often anyway other than maybe managing DLC.

You know, I wrote to Red about the blue vs. green above before I read that you said the same thing. Internet high five!

Others probably said before, but you don't have to connect online. That was part of the weird (bad) original launch of the first XBox. You do need to connect it at least once to download the system update, set up your profile, etc, but it doesn't have to be connected. Unlike Nintendo though, cloud saves are totally free even without paying, though, so there's perks to staying connected And obviously lots of games need patches. And some games specifically like being always online Ubi and EA tend to have that habit....

Maybe a lot of BC games won't interest you. They're going to mostly be popular games rather than niche ones. EA should have at least something Sims related though. And don't forget the orignal X-BOX support for some of the early DreamCast ports (most of the Sonic archives from Sonic 1 through Adventures and Generations,, Jet Set Radio, etc. XBox is kind of spiritually a Sega machine, so that older stuff is there. 360 BC has Mickey's Castle of Illusion (great game!).

Internet performance for XBox will be no different than for Playstation, Microsoft has global datacenters so it should manage the performance not unlike any required downloads for Windows. Just keep in mind between XBox one X and 1 S, the X's patches can be huge because they have higher resolution textures for the stronger machine, so if bandwidth is an issue be sure to stick to S. But you probably prefer the white console anyway I'd guess so that's probably not an issue! I wouldn't expect downloads to perform very differently from Playstation in any case.

Keep in mind Kinekt is discontinued. The (black) 1X still supports the camera, but the white 1S does not. At least not without an adapter.

But it really depends. Switching consoles for a different brand "feel" wont' really get you anything. If you switch, do it because you actively dislike something about your current platform (no cross-play, controller ergonomics, missing games you'd prefer elsewhere.) I think for your fairly niche tastes in games, the exclusives for either platform aren't really going to appeal to you, and most of what you want will be available on either. The X1 BC may help you find some older classics PS4 can't play, but if you don't see any in the list, maybe not.

For now, I'd say, if it's just a brand loyalty thing, changing brands won't help (don't be like Thanos and his anti-Sony-brand focus ), just stick to the hardware that you see more games you like, or that has features that matter to you. XBox BC does open up those old Sega games PS4 doesn't have, so for someone not looking for the latest mainstream games that may be important. But for rhythm/dance/social/sim/management type niches, I'm not sure one platform has many more options than the other. That one is one that only your own searching will find what you're looking for.

I own both. I love both. I lean more toward X1 these days, but my interests cover "everything". If I were looking very niche, I'm not sure I'd be able to pick. Exclusively, Sony has Knack and Gravity Rush and Ratchet. XBox has Ori, Cuphead, Super Lucky. 3rd party, they'll both line up more often than not, and increasingly, so does Switch for more niche games.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ScreamRide on the MS Publisher sale (and apparently was in Game Pass.) Why did nobody tell me about this game. It looks awesome!

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

Two new BC games; Brutal Legends and...Greg Hastings Paintball 2.

I feel like MS just knows when they have a dud, and throw in one game of interest to maintain balance.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Thank you for replying my wall of text of questions.
About Xbox 360...
Actually these are Xbox 360 games i'm looking for :
1. Dance Dance Revolution Universe
2. Dance Dance Revolution Universe 2
3. Dance Dance Revolution Universe 3
4. Dance Master (Dance Evolution)
5. Kinect Adventures
6. London 2012
7. F1 Race Stars
8. Little League World series Baseball 2010
9. The Sims 3 Pets
10. Final Fantasy XIII
(Note: number 1 - 5 are Xbox 360 Exclusive games, while number 6 - 10 are also on PS3)

And that was the reason why i considering Xbox 360 machine because those 10 games are Completely NOT included on Xbox One BC.

About Xbox One games i'm looking for, the reason why only 3 games i chose because Only those games are Qualified enough for me. With The Sims 4 & Portal Knights as my Strongest games (I consider both of them as my AAA games, score = 9 / 10 from me) & i add 1 more game from Xbox One Exclusive , Disneyland Adventures even that game was quite weak for me.

After I have some nice Night sleep tonight & another deliberation again, i think i should stick with my current PS4 since i don't have enough budget to buy Xbox One at this time, even if i have to sold my PS4. But, if I have enough budget and a chance to get one from my game shop, i will jump on Xbox One.

And for Xbox 360, since i haven't bought PS3 yet, to consider my game list on XBOX 360, i think i can start my Xbox 360 experience on next year.

Sorry for wall of texts again for the reply.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter No problem, man. I was just kidding about the wall of text.
I was actually about to suggest that you might want to pick up a cheap Xbox 360 in that case,
to make sure you can play all the titles that you might want.

I'm still a bit amazed, though, that you've apparently browsed through all 27 pages of the Xbox One backward compatibility list, and have found almost nothing of interest. Combined with current generation games on Xbox One, there are SO many games on there, that I could easily find at least three times that many games, that are both kid friendly and aesthetically pleasing along the lines of what I've seen you mention.

There's the Kefling games, Disney games (and who doesn't like those?), the LEGO games, the Viva Pinata games, and so on, and so on.

But anyway, what you should also know is that the backward compatibility list isn't complete yet, and far as we know, Microsoft is going to continue adding titles, both from Xbox 360 and the original Xbox, which by the way, also has quite a few nice and cartoony/kid friendly titles, so wait another couple of months, and just keep checking that list to see what is being added. The list of Eurogamer that I also gave you, puts newly added titles on the top of the list, so it's easier to check what's been added.

So, put that in your internet favorites, and check it out once a month, and who knows? Perhaps the specific titles you want, might be added after all.

By the way: you should also check out Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360. It's a really nice jRPG, with pleasing aesthetics, and a really great story. Check out some video of it on YouTube, and perhaps you'll find that you can add it to your list...

And next year, all Xbox One models will most certainly be a bit cheaper again, so perhaps it will fit into your budget then...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

Oh EA....

Dragon Age: Origins BC: Looks pretty awful, visually, but it's a decent Baldur's Gate stand-in from Bioware I'm glad to replay. I played on PC after following development of that game from back around the time Shadows of Amn released....that was stuck in development so long, tabled during the Microsoft Jade Empire/Mass Effect years and the LucasArts KotR years, then finally reborn at EA. Not perfect....and better on PC...but it did what it set out to do more or less, increating an all new D&D sandbox without the D&D licensing and rule suffocation.

Dragon Age 2: Panned at the time of dumbing DA:O down into a pseudo action game. But in BC it looks beautiful and plays more faithfully to the original than I'd expected. It just funnels you down corridors instead of an open map.

Dragon Age: Inqiusition: OMG wtf did they do? It's an action game. We attack with the trigger now. How is this even pretending to be an RPG, they went full Mass Effect with it.

sigh But at least I have the trilogy on one box finally...

@Anti-Matter 1-4, Konami does what Konami does....which is typically next to nothing.... But yeah it seems like you have a lot of games specific to 360 without BC so going the "retro console" route is probably a good bet. I'm pretty sure you already know about this, but be sure to get one of the later revisions and not the older pre-Jasper versions that were RROD prone when you jump on a 360!

Plus I meant to add the other day that if you were considering selling the PS4, keeping in mind, IIRC your'e a Street Fighter fan, and SFV is PS4 exclusive.

@ThanosRexxx I suppose in that BC list the requirements aren't just "cute/kid friendly/rhythm/dance etc" games but also "ones that are not also available on Nintendo" since the PS4/XB is his "second console" for stuff not available on Nintendo. I'm guessing a lot of the BC games that fit his tastes are also on GCN/Wii/WiiU/3DS/Switch. Not Viva Pinata though. Even Viva Pinata had a DS spinoff

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
I choose Street Fighter Alpha 3 & III 3rd Strike as the BEST Street Fighter games for me.
But, i don't like Street Fighter IV & V for some reason (That's why i didn't put on my Top 10 Xbox 360 games)
Those Two Street Fighter changed Too drastically. I felt disappointed after i played SF IV 4 years ago on PS3's my game shop owner. And i don't even like SF V after i saw from trailer.

Oh, btw.
I also have ever thinking about Japanese Wii U, Wii & Gamecube games. Can i get some unique & quirky Japanese games on Japanese Wii U / Wii / Gamecube ?
The result was....... a MESS !
For these machine :
1. Wii U => Only got 1 ! ONE Japanese Wii U game that i think quite interesting. It was F1 Race Stars Full Edition (With All DLCs).
Untitled
The other Japanese Wii U games are MEH ! / Also released in USA.
If only Wii U is Region Free. Stupid Region lock.

2. Wii => Uggggh.....!!
Just only got 4 Taiko no Tatsujin games, Shin Chuka Taisen, Tokyo Friend Park 2. INnteresting titles but.... Very WEAK games.

3. Gamecube => No! NO! NO! (Slammed my forehead to the wall)
I just only get ONE Japanese Gamecube game that quite interesting for me, Muscle Champion.
Untitled

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia You only NOW completed the Dragon Age trilogy? I have all the original games on the Xbox 360,
in physical form...

As for our friend Anti-Matter here, I know he has a rather peculiar, completely off the radar and out of the box kinda taste, but come on, not being able to select more than a handful from over a 1000 games (backwards compatible + Xbox One titles combined)? But to each their own, I guess. For me personally, across those three generations of Xboxes, there's more than enough diversity and great titles, some of which are definite must-haves, for one reason or another.

By the way: as you know, I was waxing lyrical about Black a couple of days ago, and a couple of months ago as well. Well, I still own the physical disc, but having to get it out of the stack of OG Xbox games, and having to swap out discs each time on the Xbox One got me kind of annoyed, so I finally caved and bought the digital copy for 9 bucks, so now it's installed without the need for the annoying continuous disc check, and I can once again play one of my all-time favorite shooters whenever I want...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I never had the trilogy in one place. I had DA:O physically on both PC and 360 (actually better than physically....I was press back then, so my edition was quite above and beyond anything at retail, but I can't say more. EA knows how to bribe critics! Which explains a lot.... Awesome swag and games made that job great. No money, endless hours, and turning a hobby into a job made that job not great.

Anyway, I got DA2 physically on 360 but never actually played through it. Then I got Inquisition physically on PS4 (it's still in shrinkwrap, might as well sell it.) then got it digitally as part of the ME3 bundle on PS4. Then bot an X1 and ended up re-buying that same bundle digitally. So with the last sale I went back and digitally bought 1 & 2 so I can finally just have it in one place. I already had the discs (in a crate in the basement, somewhere....), but for $6 or so, why not?

Yeah, but my point is I'm sure there's stuff in that list that he likes but if it's available on any Nintendo console past or present, he probably already has it or intends to buy it for a Nintendo machine, so he's looking specifically for games he can't get on N that meet the unique tastes in games he has. I'm betting there's a lot of overlap with Nintendo in that BC library for his favored game genres, so that's a fair assessment (heck even for those evil T and M rated games, Doom is free on Game Pass, but I'd rather play on Switch with mouse-like gyro aiming even if it looks horrible in comparison )

LOL! I did not think I'd ever hear you jump into digital for convenience! Heck I never thought I would either, but here we are! That's cool. I imagine it will show up in a BC sale at some point. If it's $10 normally it'll be $3 or so then, so I'll definitely grab it!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, and I also bought that Forza Horizon 2 Complete Add-Ons Collection that @DarthNocturnal mentioned earlier...
https://www.trueachievements.com/products/4481/Forza-Horizon-...
It's only up for five more days, so if you're also interested, then this is the last chance to get some stuff that will otherwise not be available anymore. And it's for a really great price, so actually kind of a no-brainer...

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, of course we already were partially going digital anyway, what with Games with Gold and all that, so it wasn't THAT big of a jump for me, to be honest. And $3? Cheap skate...
The game is definitely worth every penny that it costs now, and on the X it's apparently looking 4 times more upgraded than on the S, so that's a BIG improvement over the original version. I do wonder how good that looks, though, since I'm already quite pleased with how clean and sharp it looks on the S.

I can definitely shake your hand on Dragon Age 2: only ever started the first bit, and after that, too many other games came that drew my attention away from a game that simply took too much time to play, at the time.
I hope that by the time that I finally DO have the time, that it isn't going to be too much of a harrowing experience, compared to modern day games...

Oh, wait, I wasn't one of those "that game looks ugly now" whiners...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Thanks. I already bought Storm Island on the sale in August, so I think that's the only add on content for 2 I really need since the Fast & Furious content aside from the cars is in license limbo! Since it's the older game I don't need the car packs since I have a bundle of them for 3 & FM7 and no doubt will for 4

Dragon Age 2 was "Streamlined" (EA for simplified and linearized) compared to 1 already (not as much as "hey it's an action game!" Inquisition) so I think it should be less of a slog than 1 compared to modern games. Redoing Origins, great is it is, is a daunting thought. Especially with how ugly it is and some clunky design issues.

DA:O isn't truly "ugly ugly" but it's very dated looking. Specifically it looks worse than the average game of its era, just like most Bioware RPGs outside the infinity engine. KotR got Enhanced. I doubt DA:O will. It aimed to be like the Infinity engine, but 2010 3D just couldn't compete with the beautiful sprites and pre-rendered backdrops.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, it's not a must, I just thought I'd give you a heads up, in case you would be interested, otherwise the price tag goes back to $116.99, which would be a shame for the people that might still want to get this bundle.

And no worries: I know Dragon Age isn't truly ugly, but it is one of those types of games where the trade off for a larger game world makes the game take a considerable hit in the graphics department, making it look kinda crude. It was more or less the issue with many of these kinds of games on every last gen platform.

Nowadays, it becomes less and less of a problem because systems are getting more powerful.
But it was never an issue for me. I still think Shenmue looks beautiful as well, because I'm one of those weird guys that can see games in the right time frame, so I have no need or desire to compare them to 4K titles to be able to slap a "fugly" label onto them...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX In the case of DA:O it was less a generational issue, and more a Bioware issue Their 2D engine was brilliant but their 3D engine was really not so great. The game looked pretty crummy on ultra power PCs as well, and a lot of it stemmed from the fact that the game had been in development for almost a decade across 4 different publisher eras, so there was very old tech under that hood.

Sadly, it seems that Bioware effectively no longer exists with almost everyone that was ever anyone running screaming as EA merged them into a unified team with what was left of the ruined Maxis and EA Mobile of all things. I don't know what Anthem will be, but it will be a Dice game, not a Bioware game, and I suspect all the old Bioware series are forever dead. Andromeda was the last straw where they shut down the forked division almost entirely and turned it into a content farm.

Despite that Anthem looks like it might be good. Maybe. But it's no Bioware game.

Shemue does look beautiful. Well at least the rerelease. The sound quality is horrendous and the controls are pretty off, but it looks beautiful.

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

I think everyone looking for Bioware games is supposed to go check in with Obsidian. They've got the talent behind... how many shuttered studios and bought-out IPs? Pretty sure there's a lot of Fallout alumni, plus some formerly-BioWare talent.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

There've been quite a few games in that old Baldur's Gate style in recent years. I haven't played any of them though.

Which is the best to go with? Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera or Divinity Original Sin?
Or are there other big ones I've missed.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

DarthNocturnal

@Dezzy

I actually wouldn't know. I just know that while Bioware seems to have fallen from grace over the past decade, Obsidian still stands for solid CRPGs/ WRPGs.

Maybe it's because they aren't obsessed with romance options?

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yeah, the sound was of pretty low quality, almost mono, if not actually mono.
The remasters look pretty good, though, and quite a bit was done to them, to bring them up to date with modern techniques.

Far as I'm concerned, they are must-haves, even on PS4 and Xbox One, but my interest in the originals is because they do not only hold up in story, but also in being some of the most impressive, if not THE most impressive titles on the Dreamcast, and seen in that perspective, I couldn't possibly have any other opinion about these games...

Dezzy

So what are everyone's guesses as to what the last exclusives for the Xbox One will be?

I'd like to hope that Fable 4 will be announced at next E3 for an early 2020 release but I bet that'll end up being delayed to being a launch exclusive for the next console (which I think will launch christmas 2020)

Other than that, I think Halo Infinite will probably be the last main one and will be something like an October 2019 release.

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Dezzy

Maybe it's because they aren't obsessed with romance options?

Of all the problems with Bioware, I don't think that's the main one.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic