Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 11,914

Yamagushi

"TV, TV, TV" Cause its not like its a computer and can do multiple things on top of playing games. But I guess when your stuck with nintendo's featureless under-performing consoles generation after generation I see where you'd all get that idea.

"No games no games!!" Cause its not like Microsoft specifically said before the announcement even began that it would focus on hardware and features and games would come at E3, but apparently that's too complicated an idea for the general public to understand.

"It's anti-consumer not to let me lend my games to friends" You might want to look up what a consumer is, because if you borrow games from your friends, I got news for you, your not one. Your as good as the pirates you all hate so much.

Yamagushi

Jaz007

Yamagushi wrote:

"It's anti-consumer not to let me lend my games to friends" You might want to look up what a consumer is, because if you borrow games from your friends, I got news for you, your not one. Your as good as the pirates you all hate so much.

One is a criminal while one is not. One might (limited chance) buy the game one day, one will not. A group of friends that share games are better or th industry than a group who just pirate games.

Jaz007

shingi_70

Peach64 wrote:

Didn't they mention some kind of agreement at the PS4 reveal? I think it was for exclusive DLC or something, but it's not a stretch to assume they tied up am advertising deal too. We've not really seen enough for me to be excited about this one, but it's Bungie, and the first Halo was the first FPS I ever really enjoyed.

Thy have an advertisement deal which was probably inked before they could put xbox one on it. Supposedly both consoles will have exclusive DLC.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Tasuki

I am wondering shouldn't the name of this thread be Xbox One thread or something along those lines? Just a suggestion though I think it might be easier to find that way.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Yamagushi

Jaz007 wrote:

Yamagushi wrote:

One is a criminal while one is not. One might (limited chance) buy the game one day, one will not. A group of friends that share games are better or th industry than a group who just pirate games.

How so? How is you borrowing the game for your friend, and playing it without paying for it, any different from a pirate? Both played the game, both didn't pay, both lost the devs a potential sale. Borrowing from your friends is the same as pirating to the industry, you've all just become used to it.

Yamagushi

Midnight3DS

Lending to a friend is not piracy. Get your facts straight. Is the public library a den of piracy because they lend out music, movies, and games on a daily basis?

Edited on by Midnight3DS

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

Yamagushi

I didn't say it is piracy. I said its as bad as piracy.

Yamagushi

shingi_70

Interview with Don Mattrick and Phil Spencer on OXM.

-$1 billion investment in games
-15 titles in the first year of the console
-8 of the new titles are new IP
-New Head of Lionhead John Needham is an MMO expert. (Fable MMO incoming)
-Phil Harrison is the head of Microsoft Studios Europe
-Rare is going to revive an old franchise. (Killer Instinct)
-Microsoft Studios Osaka confirmed.
-Xbox One is a platform built for flexibility
-Beefed up smartglass

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Jaz007

Yamagushi wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

Yamagushi wrote:

How so? How is you borrowing the game for your friend, and playing it without paying for it, any different from a pirate? Both played the game, both didn't pay, both lost the devs a potential sale. Borrowing from your friends is the same as pirating to the industry, you've all just become used to it.

One person had to buy the game, therefore the dev got a sale, if the friends just pirated then there would be no sale. There is a (limited) chance that freind who borrowed the game will buy it later too. In order to share a game someone has to buy the game.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Yamagushi

Jaz007 wrote:

One person had to buy the game, therefore the dev got a sale, if the friends just pirated then there would be no sale. There is a (limited) chance that freind who borrowed the game will buy it later too. In order to share a game someone has to buy the game.

One person had to buy the game to pirate it too. Doesn't make up for those who don't pay. And as for the limited chance you might buy it afterwords, I feel like i've heard this before, oh right, its the same thing pirates say.

Edited on by Yamagushi

Yamagushi

Jaz007

Yamagushi wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

One person had to buy the game to pirate it too. Doesn't make up for those who don't pay. And as for the limited chance you might buy it afterwords, I feel like i've heard this before, oh right, its the same thing pirates say.

One person had to buy it before they put it on the internet. Each pair (or group) of friends has to buy a copy. Multiple people in a group of friends might buy a game too, espcially if they want to do co-op or multiplayer. Someone who borrowed a game is more likely to buy it than a pirate becuase when you borrow something you have to return it too. That person might want to play the game again or play the multiplayer or co-op and would buy the game to do that. A pirate will always have that game and has no real reason to buy it since they were already dishonest enough to pirate it.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Yamagushi

Jaz007 wrote:

One person had to buy it before they put it on the internet. Each pair (or group) of friends has to buy a copy. Multiple people in a group of friends might buy a game too, espcially if they want to do co-op or multiplayer. Someone who borrowed a game is more likely to buy it than a pirate becuase when you borrow something you have to return it too. That person might want to play the game again or play the multiplayer or co-op and would buy the game to do that. A pirate will always have that game and has no real reason to buy it since they were already dishonest enough to pirate it.

You have a point with having to return the game to your friend, but at the same time this attitude kills the industry. Games must be replayable and have a great multiplayer, otherwise its the dev's fault we sold/lent the game and they lost sales! So any single player game, that was fun, but not necessarily replayable doesn't deserve to survive in this industry. This is why games have become so generic. Nobody wants to take the risk making a new single player game, and have it bought used or lent to a friend who plays it through, and they go out of business.

Yamagushi

Late

@Yamagushi: I don't quite keep up with your logic. Where do you draw the line then? Do you think libraries shouldn't exist because you can lend books from there? What if I lend my pencil to my friend at school? Do you consider it bad too?

Lending means you give something to someone for some time. When pirating you have no limits how long you own the thing you pirated. If you lend a thing to someone and decide to let him keep it then he owns the thing and it has been already paid once. I don't see how lending and pirating are the same thing...

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Jaz007

Yamagushi wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

You have a point with having to return the game to your friend, but at the same time this attitude kills the industry. Games must be replayable and have a great multiplayer, otherwise its the dev's fault we sold/lent the game and they lost sales! So any single player game, that was fun, but not necessarily replayable doesn't deserve to survive in this industry. This is why games have become so generic. Nobody wants to take the risk making a new single player game, and have it bought used or lent to a friend who plays it through, and they go out of business.

Umm, I have never heard of that as a reason before. New IPs in general are a risk. It has pretty much nothing to do with lending games. Multiplayer is simply a selling point, not something to combat used games, the market simply loves multiplayer. These games are risky mulitplayer or no multiplayer. New single-player IPs can still succed though. Look at Dishonered. Replayability is also because people are looking to get their moneys worth with the time they spend on the game.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Yamagushi

Late wrote:

@Yamagushi: I don't quite keep up with your logic. Where do you draw the line then? Do you think libraries shouldn't exist because you can lend books from there? What if I lend my pencil to my friend at school? Do you consider it bad too?

Lending means you give something to someone for some time. When pirating you have no limits how long you own the thing you pirated. If you lend a thing to someone and decide to let him keep it then he owns the thing and it has been already paid once. I don't see how lending and pirating are the same thing...

A game is digital, you don't continue were the last person left off like tangible items. If you buy a car used, you can't get say the first 50k miles back. If you bought a game and had to continue were the last person stopped playing and couldn't restart, then it would truly be a used item. But you get to play the game all the way through no different than if it were new. I would argue the same for books, movies, and music. You aren't getting a used experience.

Yamagushi

Yamagushi

Jaz007 wrote:

Umm, I have never heard of that as a reason before. New IPs in general are a risk. It has pretty much nothing to do with lending games. Multiplayer is simply a selling point, not something to combat used games, the market simply loves multiplayer. These games are risky mulitplayer or no multiplayer. New single-player IPs can still succed though. Look at Dishonered. Replayability is also because people are looking to get their moneys worth with the time they spend on the game.

Big enough company with enough money to advertise the crap out of the game and make it look visually appealing. But its a rare case, most new IP's die because people aren't sure and wait to buy it used. How many sales do you think a game like dishonored lost to new? I bet gamestop made more money than the devs did.

Edited on by Yamagushi

Yamagushi

Midnight3DS

"Death Ray Manta" coming to PlayStation Vita!

Sony business development manager Shahid Kamal Ahmad joined the fun too.

"That’s right Shuhei, we are going to have “DRM” on PlayStation Vita. "

Sony President Troll's Everyone

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

shingi_70

I saw that and thought it was from one of the fake Sony accounts at first.

WAT!

scrubbyscum999

The no used games thing is going to hurt the Xbox One on some level. Renting games have been around since the olden days of NES. Used games have helped popularize many games, why is this a problem now? By that standard Gamefly and GameStop shouldn't exist. When I buy a product, as long as I am not copying it, I should be able to do whatever I want. That includes lending it to my friend.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter:

shingi_70

Trainer_DJ wrote:

The no used games thing is going to hurt the Xbox One on some level. Renting games have been around since the olden days of NES. Used games have helped popularize many games, why is this a problem now? By that standard Gamefly and GameStop shouldn't exist. When I buy a product, as long as I am not copying it, I should be able to do whatever I want. That includes lending it to my friend.

It would only hurt Gamefly. GameStop is going to be one of the few places where we can trade in games. I don't think it will hurt as much as people think since nothing will be changing that much on a consumer level. The once a 24 hour online check is going to much more damage in the long run.

WAT!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic