Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 4,321 to 4,340 of 11,914

DarkRula

Played through the Forza Horizon 4 demo on the lowest of settings on my laptop and I already know I'll be enjoying this a lot. Even with those low settings, the world looked great. Despite the slight lag in control, the cars were great to play with. There's a good amount of content just in the demo alone, and despite being limited to just the south-western area of the map there's a lot to explore - even with the drone.
Twenty more days, then I'll have the One X and the full game. And I'll be playing it a long long time.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

6ch6ris6

@NEStalgia i really liked the game. it is not perfect and has quite a few bugs, but the gameplay itself is great. havent played anyother racing sim though so i can not compare

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

redd214

@NEStalgia yes project cars is good, PC2 is much improved though and pretty cheap atm so would recommend that over the original. I would put it above GT Sport but below Forza 7 (based on footage haven't actually played F7 personally). Not sure which reviews you read but all 3 versions of pc 1 and 2 are above 80 on metacritic, hardly a disaster. It is a bit, hate to use this word but "hardcore", not many frills, no fluff, just straight racing and tuning

Edited on by redd214

redd214

NEStalgia

Ahh, well, i quite like Forza 7, so that's meaningful, but, then again, i already have Forza 7, so i wonder how much id get out of pc2 to put up with it's bugs.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia haven't experienced many if any bugs and had it since launch, maybe I'm lucky

redd214

6ch6ris6

forza is arcade though. pc can be played as a sim. i tried forza 6 apex and found the handling of the cars to be awful compared to pc.
pc2 has been patched i heard. the developers never bothered patching the first pc though. i am currently thinking of getting pc2, but i will wait for a complete version with all dlcs for around 30€

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

redd214

@6ch6ris6 the new ferrari dlc is really good, def worth it. The new tracks are lots of fun!

redd214

Dezzy

The Forza Horizon 4 demo is brilliant.

How the hell do they get those kind of graphics out of the original Xbox?

Imagining a Fable game with those graphics is exciting.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I for one disagree. Regardless of how many more games Sony has, I hardly find any of them interesting. I can never come up with more than a handful that I would find interesting or would want to have the console for. I find a lot of their triple A games are overrated, wannabee movie-like experiences, which is what I don't like, and other than that, a lot of more Asian-oriented things. Which can be nice, but I also like my more Western games, thank you...

As for the theme only being shooters and racers, that's also a bit short-sighted. There's platformers, role playing games, arcade games, simulators of all kinds, RTS games etc. etc. Not as big of an assortment as Sony currently has, but still more than enough to create a healthy backlog, even for the more critical gamers.

Oh, and you'd probably not like Project CARS; it's completely sim racing, and bone dry in comparison to Forza Horizon. I also don't agree on what link37110 said about Forza Horizon being too easy once you've played Project CARS.

The comparison is skewed, since one is an arcade racer which can at most be turned into a simcade, by upping the difficulty settings, but Project CARS is a full-blown sim, with a number of car tweaking settings that is going to make the average car racing fan's head spin. Unless you're not really into hardcore realistic racing simulations, Project CARS will probably not interest you. I had the free version of the first, which looked absolutely stunning, even in comparison with Forza's main line games, but it was a completely different experience.

Pretty intricate game, and it requires you to know what you're doing in regards to car tuning, to get the most out of it experience-wise. The second game is apparently better, but I figure they just ironed out the bugs, and I won't assume that they made it more user-friendly to non-simulation fans, so there'll probably not be a more arcade-like setting. Or maybe there is, and you should just give it a try and make up your own mind. I for one won't be trying another game in the series, after having played and deleted the first one, and I'm most certainly not going to pay for it...

@Dezzy Well, they didn't get these graphics out of the "original" Xbox, obviously...
But in all seriousness: Playground games simply knows how to handle the hardware and get out of it what's necessary.

And racing games have in general always looked better than other genres, because the full power of the console can go into cars and tracks instead of into large, open worlds and what not, so in that regard, more hardware power and thus more graphical beauty, can be dedicated to that, to make racing games look the way they do.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@6ch6ris6 Forza Horizon is arcade, but I thought Motorsport was sim? I have zero experience with the sim genre, but from my perspective GT and Motorsport were definitely considered sims.

@Dezzy "Fable"
om nom nom

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I think the "they're all wannebe movies" on PS gets overblown. That's definitely not true, though their most marketed games in the West tend to be. It's a really diverse list of all different sorts of games:

Persona 5
Nioh
Gravity Rush
Gravity Rush 2
Tearaway
Ratchet & Clank
Infamous Second Son
Infamous First Light
Bloodborne (I detest it but it's surely no movie)
Yakuza (1 HD, 2 HD, 0, and 6 for now)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Uncharted (Overrated, cinematic, but I do enjoy them. Good popcorn flick.)
Last Guardian
Shadow of the Colossus
Knack 1-2 (Yes everybody hates Knack, I love Knack. Screw you all. )
God of War
WipeOUT (I know you are tempted by this one! )
Ni No Kuni 2
Detroit Become Human (David Cage games are controversial so they're inherently niche)
The Order 1886 (It's basically a movie. Not my thing.)
Star Ocean
FF7-FF12
Tales of Berseria (though XBox had Vesperia locked until now.)
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 1&2
Spider-Man
Killzone (I dislike it more or less)
Little Big Planet (it should be better than it is.)
SFV
I'm sure I'm forgetting others.
The Last of Us (I don't do zombies but people love it)
The other 3 or 4 zombies series they have (I ignore them, sorry, not a complete list.)

That excludes VR games since I consider that a separate platform. I'm sure I'm forgeting a few other exclusives though.

Contrast that to X1:
Forza 6-7
Forza Horizon 2-4.
Crackdown 3 (is 2 BC?)
Ryse
Quantum Break
Halo (1-6 (presumably))
Gears of War (1-5 (presumably))
Ori (1-2)
Super Lucky's Tale
Some older Sega games and such Sony doesn't have.i
Sea of Thieves
XBox's zombie game (I really don't pay attention to those... )
PUBG?
Recore
Rare replay
Sunset Overdrive
Cuphead
KI
Halo Wars (1-2)
And....that's mostly it.

The list is smaller (I'm only listing major exclusives/semi-exclusives for each) but the real issue with MS's lineup is the general lack of diversity. There are a few outliers but most of the others all overlap each other heavily in terms of appeal and are limited to 2.5 primary genres versus Sony having much broader appeal, which I believe is a key to why Sony's lineup is much better received to the masses. XBox is a dream for a specific type of gamer compared to Sony, but it doesn't offer a lot of incentive to any other kind of gamer (which is the other key to why it's a catastrophic failure in Japan, where that type of gamer almost doesn't exist.) But most of that Sony list isn't any more "wannabe movie" than the XBox list if you remove Naughty Dog and The Order, maybe Spider-Man (though that really is a good game, if you like the Arkham games, Spider-Man is even better....not surprising from Insomniac. If you like Sunset Overdrive you like Spider-Man...it has a lot of familiar concepts done in a new way.)

All that said, "Asian-oriented things" is important. I happen to like Asian-oriented games at worst equally, at best, more than Western-oriented games. I figured that was kind of an implied commonality for everyone hanging around a Nintendo fan site.....not very many Western-oriented games on Nintendo So yeah a huge bredth of the Sony catalog appeals to me (and Vesperia was a huge announce to me at the MS show...though I'm getting it on Switch.... ) Though I don't get into the very very anime focused junk that saturates PS. Technically neither does Japan. It's a very otaku thing there, and seems mostly made to sell to "weebs" here, which is kind of an embarrassing niche in both countries. But yeah for someone that's mostly into the western motifs of games, I can see Sony not offering a lot, and XBox offering "great" exclusives. This year is the first year they're breaking their own mold with SoT and Super Lucky. Before those it was even more samey minus Recore which is a quasi puzzle platformer. (Noting we're comparing the exclusives, not the shared multiplats that apply to both machines.) I mean XBox's library has had an image problem, and a big part of that includes their failure in Japan. Most of that was a failure of the OG XBox and some disastrous missteps while they seriously tried to gain footing in Japan, that has stigmatized it and carried over through today both with Japanese consumers and more iportantly a lot of Japanese developers (while Japanese games are having a huge Western resurgence, and Western games are starting to have a Japanese surge.) Everything about OG XBox was fail, yet it had some of their best exclusives ever. "The Duke"....still makes me laugh.

Speaking of XBox exclusives, Pay EA....I want Jade Empire 2!!!!1

I think @link37110 was comparing PC to Motorsport 6, not Horizon. That's what left me most confused. That said thanks for the tip on Project Cars.....yeah the tuning, I have no idea what I'm doing and no interest in doing it. I just want to run the tracks, not tune the cars. I don't tune Forza 7 either.

NEStalgia

6ch6ris6

@NEStalgia Forza Motorsports is kinda in between arcade and real simulations. kind of a semi-sim

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Obviously not ALL of them, and I explicitly said "a lot of them", but I figured you'd get the point alright. Other than that, you can list games all day long or all the way to Timbuktu, but there's nothing that's going to make me reconsider the points I made, so I stand by them.

And in that entire PS4 list, there's only 4 or 5 that I'd want to play, and NO, not WipeOut, so you misjudged me there.

The Xbox One list on the other hand... well, needless to say that it holds more interest for me than anything that Sony can come up with.

And you actually missed quite a bit with that list. Here's a more complete one, even if you remove all the indies from it:
https://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

Anyway, enough with all this Sony BS. I've no desire to be in the PS4 fan thread, I'm here for all the great Xbox games...

Oh, and I did a miss-quote, because it wasn't link37110 making that comment, but 6ch6ris6, and it wasn't even about Forza Horizon, but about arcade racers in general, so my mistake there.

P.S.

You can remove the question mark from PUBG...

@6ch6ris6 No offense, but I disagree. All the mainline Forza games, aka Forza Motorsport games, are actual racing simulators. Forza was specifically meant by Microsoft to be the Xbox's Gran Turismo, a game which calls itself "The Real Driving Simulator", so I'd say that already says a lot. It has previously also been explicitly mentioned that they started developing the Forza Horizon series to offer a more arcade/simcade experience, so that actually IS a more arcade-like game, but Forza Motorsport is definitely not a semi-sim or arcade-like game.

Sure, the base settings are kind of light (actually done on purpose to make the game more instantly accessible for a broader audience), and you can switch on/switch off all kinds of settings to make it play as such, and there are perhaps not as many settings to play with as in the more hardcore sims, but that doesn't take anything away from it still being a racing simulator, just like Gran Turismo is also one.

Except Forza, especially nowadays, is FAR better than Gran Turismo, in several areas, such as damage models, car sounds, track detail and so on. So, if Gran Turismo is a real racing sim, then so is Forza Motorsport. It may not have as much intricacies as the really in-depth sims as Assetto Corsa or Project CARS, but it is a sim nonetheless.

I think that because it has this more accessible feel (in part perhaps also due to adjustments (sacrifices?) made for controller usage as opposed to a steering wheel), that people in general are labeling this as sim-cade, but perhaps it is better to make a distinction between regular sims, such as Gran Turismo and Forza, and hard-sims (actually a thing) such as Assetto Corsa, iRacing and Project CARS. (although arguably, even Project CARS isn't a hard-sim, since I've seen plenty of iRacing and Assetto Corsa fans slam that series of games as well, for being too "light"... )

In closing, I wanted to post this interesting discussion going on about Forza Motorsport on Reddit, about a year ago, which I came across a while ago, and which now seems rather appropriate:
https://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/6hivbi/how_realistic_...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

redd214

What is with you two posting novels for every comment, sheesh lol.

Anyways, any of you all have an experience with the Brook Accessory convertors?

http://www.brookaccessory.com/Super%20Converters/list.html

Specifically would be using it for a racing wheel not just controllers. Been reading a bit about them wanted to see if anyone had 1st hand exp.

redd214

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's like we don't even know each other anymore! sobs

Aww, only 4-5 games on that list you like? Dang that backlog is crushing me And that's my least populated console! But many of those games are at the top of my list! And I'm surprised no WipEout for you as an F-Zero fan and all!

And yeah I'm sure I missed a bunch from both platforms So many "timed exclusives" too. I never know Psycho Pass was a timed exclusive. It was a freebie on PS+ a few months back which is the first I'd heard of it (kind of a cool Japanese visual novel though.)

Yeah I wasn't sure about PUBG, it's not my kind of thing so I haven't followed it but I had a feeling it was exclusive.

Oh man iRacing and Assetto Corsa. Never played one but the mental image in my head is of a blinking LED $2000 PC, and $5000 worth of custom wheels, pedals, shiftboxes, and force feedback chairs....

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 You know I came really really close to buying one a few weeks ago to use an Elite on the PS4. And then you told me that Razer was releasing wireless Raijus and I decided to wait Ah well

NEStalgia

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@BlueOcean Some very good points. I personally think Microsoft is getting WAY too much flak, either for mistakes of the past, or behaviors of the past, whereas in the last couple of years, they've made absolutely MASSIVE improvements in their ecosystem, customer-friendliness, and services. Services that were already always better than Sony's, if we're talking about online stability and so on.

As it just so happens (I don't believe in coincidence, but still), I came across this video earlier today, which highlights 10 benefits of the Xbox One X over the PS4 Pro, as seen by a former PlayStation-only gamer, who has crossed sides:

Part of it can most definitely be argued about, but he has some good points, that should not be overlooked by open-minded gamers, but unfortunately, most gamers are fanatically loyal to certain platform of their choice, and simply keep slamming the others because its not their (favorite) platform, even if they have never tried any of their games.

In short: console wars are idiotic, and brand loyal gamers are often times close-minded individuals.

I've always been a multi-console owner myself, and each of them have their strengths and weaknesses. The only reason that I have no Sony consoles is because of a personal, and long-time grievance I've had with them which started before there was any Sony console to speak of, and ended when the PS2 arrived, but for me, that was that. Three strikes and all that...

"PS4 has really good exclusives... but so has Xbox.

Maybe I just wanted to play Halo, maybe I wanted to get behind the wheel in the latest generation of Forza, does that mean that I get my PlayStation fanboy membership card revoked? If so, it was worth it!
I don't think any gamer should be limited to brand loyalty".

Good video, funny and true. I never had an Xbox console until One and I can relate. All consoles have good exclusives but Xbox just happens to be my favourite platform now because of the controller, console, services and, yes, games.

One thing that is mentioned and that is probably irrelevant but I also think that the PS4 Pro is ugly and that both Xbox One S and X are lookers.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic