Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 4,121 to 4,140 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@Tasuki @ThanosReXXX @DarthNocturnal storm island pack is on sale for $5 btw. Car pass, as well!

Edit: it's, for reasons unknown, in the quakecon sale featuring mostly Bethesda stuff. Sale on through Monday.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Zuljaras

Guys this is from the xbox support chat:
"And can I play the game on Xbox One X without ever downloading the enhancement patch?
14:33
Arvie S
Yes you should be able to play it since games on Xbox One X has an option to play it offline.
14:34
Arvie S
It shouldn't be a problem since enhancement patches are separate for the game and separate for the console itself.
14:34
Arvie S
Enhancement for graphics, 4k and resolutions are on the console so no need to install it and you should be able to use that feature even in offline.
14:35
Arvie S
Resolutions like 4k and enhancements are built in and native on the console itself so there is no need to install or download it and should be able to enabled and used even in offline mode.
14:35"

"Ok so I update the console one time and then I can install and play games without internet connection?
14:42
Arvie S
Yes correct. Game discs specifically can be installed in offline. So no worries about it."

"No worries, it only needs one time update for the Xbox one X when you purchased it, then that's all. You can just install your game discs in offline mode without the internet. Alright? It should not be a problem.
14:55"

So are they clueless or straight up lying? Could this be connected to the settings>networks>go offline option?

UPDATE:

Here is one more reply from Xbox support gamer:

Justin M.
1828 Answers • 100% Helpful
Nikolay, Hello ! My name is Justin, a fellow Xbox Gamer here to help! You can play disc games offline on an Xbox. But it is difficult to do so as most games require some form of online connection for updates and such. Hope this helps!

Me:
Well if the game is single player.
I have found this info in the support page:"If you don’t download ahead of time, your 4K content will arrive in the form of an update the first time you launch an applicable game on Xbox One X. This will be a required update—skipping it will not let you play the non-4K version offline. "
I am just asking about the Xbox One X
Lets say I buy Fallout 4 and install it on Xbox One X without internet
Can I still play it ?

Justin M.
You can play it, but it won't have 4k support without the update.
Really? This is what I want. But the support page states that I will not be able to play the non-4K version.
this is really confusing.

Justin M.
Do you have a link for the support page where you read that?

Me:
Yes.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/download-4k-g...
All I want to be able to use Xbox One X like a normal console. If I buy a new physical game and I do not have internet for the moment I want to be able to play it like on a normal Xbox One console.
I would like the choice of playing without those extra patches for enhanced graphics.

Justin M.
I understand Nikolay. but this only applies to digital copies of games. Game discs already have incorporated 4k support. Digital copies don't, to reduce download size.

Justin M.
That's correct. Games that support 4k will have the additional files on disc.

Me:
What about older Xbox One games before the Xbox One X? Like Assassins Creed Unity or some other games before the X?
How can they have the additional files on the disc if they were released before the Xbox One X?

Justin M.
Older ones won't be requesting the 4k update if you're offline.

So are they lying or there is some way of installing and playing without internet (disc based games) ?

Edited on by Zuljaras

NEStalgia

@Zuljaras wow, that's massively confusing and conflicts with the faq. Chat support is usually terrible... i found ms is better than average though. Yet... So much if that chat seems contradictory and wrong. Digital versions of games don't have separate 4k downloads, it's just one download file offered for the whole thing (for now, that might change with the coming updates for fast downloads)

Since they're providing info that's either wrong, it is ahead of the updates, thus being correct for the way it will work later, I'm not sure how much faith to put into what they say for physical. It does offer more hope. 4k assets aren't on disc though. Older games as you said to them, can't, the assets were created after the disc was pressed. Newer games often can't fit them in disc.

My own theory is this:. If you keep your console offline and disable updates, old games can play fine. Newer games, I'm not sure. If you need a patch, or it's a game that goes online a lot (halo 5, mcc that has a ton of it's content added post launch) or a broken game (just cause 3) you'll have to dl the patch, and the patch will require the 4k assets with it. For now, anyway.

Hopefully you can find someone with an x that buys physical but does not use much internet to confirm though. Might want to try a more xbox oriented forum that has a lot of Canadian users.... i hear Canada has very low data cap isps as standard, do if anyone knows the pain of data limits it's x1x owning Canucks

NEStalgia

Zuljaras

@NEStalgia Yes I know I just have to find someone with One X and tell him to make that Settings>Network>Go Offline and just install a game from the disc and try to play it.

I wonder why the MS support state things that are NOT true?! And it is a simple question.

Do anyone here have physical Xbox One games? Could someone try to delete them and turn off the internet of the console and then just reinstall the game and try to run it without internet? Just to put an end to this crap.

Oh yes one more thing. I asked in the official Xbox forums and the same thing happened there as well ... one guy tells me that the only update is the console update and the other guy tells me that every game has a mandatory update before it can be played at all. Total bull****!

Edited on by Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah... nice offer, but unfortunately, all of this month's money is already out the door, and the rest is for grocery shopping. I may have to consider going for bread and water for a few days, though...

@Zuljaras I wouldn't mind checking that for you, but I have an Xbox One S, and I honestly don't know if there is a difference between that model and the X, as far as online protocols and/or updates or mandatory downloads are concerned. An example of this is that you actually CAN download the 4K texture packs on the S, to an external storage device, so that they can be used if you eventually upgrade to a One X, in which case you won't have to download them on that console anymore. But obviously, it's only optional, whereas on the X, it's more often than not, a mandatory download.

But in all honesty, I sincerely believe that you shouldn't be so hell-bent on being offline with your console. No offense, but it's the 21st century, and being online with almost any and all devices (TV's, radios, phones, etc. etc. ) is simply a normal part of live nowadays, so why the hell would you want to forcefully deny your console that option? Especially since it's only to your benefit.

Even completely installable games, that can be played just fine from the disc install, will still receive patches and/or updates every now and then, and they only serve to improve the performance and as such, the experience of the game as a whole.

Personally, I wouldn't want to play a lesser version, if I know that an improved version is only a small download away, regardless of whether or not I've already installed it from the disc. And for most games I've played so far, the updates are never that big, so even with an average internet connection, you should be just fine.

The only valid reason I myself could come up with, is if I would have been living in an area with VERY bad internet, or highly variable qualities of internet, so if that's the case, I can understand, but otherwise not.

And I've already been used to it for more than a decade, seeing as the Xbox 360 also already had mandatory patch downloads for complete disc-based games. And that was even without having to install the games themselves...

So, to me, it really is nothing new, and I don't even notice it, seeing as the Xbox One automatically retrieves these downloads whenever they're needed, so all you have to do, is manage your hard drive space...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Dezzy

Why did they never do a Gears of War: Chainsaw Collection?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Backwards compatibility probably, MCC was before the days of XB1. Meanwhile from 2015, Microsoft have just used backwards compatibility where possible for other franchises (e.g. Rare Replay has separate downloads for each game that was released on 360 rather than 1 package with everything in Rare Replay).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX This option for 4k downloads is only for original and S models. I don't want to deny the updates I want to know if it possible to play the lesser version of the games if internet is not available.
I am asking only about games that are single player. I do not play online except World of Warcraft and Hearthstone.

@NEStalgia This guy was the last to update the thread in the Xbox forums.

"Hi,

Yes the Xbox One X works the same as the Xbox One and Xbox One S, update wise for games and console updates.
While it is advised to connect the console to the internet, you should be able to go offline as mentioned on the support page that Smwutches posted : https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/using-xbox...
This is the same for any Xbox One console, so regular, S and X"

So there is no difference between the models except the X is faster and can use the 4k updates.

Edited on by Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

Zuljaras wrote:

@ThanosReXXX This option for 4k downloads is only for original and S models.

Bit of a confusing statement there, or unnecessary, if I understood it correctly, since I already said that the downloads are optional for the Xbox One S (and probably also for the OG Xbox One), but they ARE mandatory for the Xbox One X, so either you're repeating what I already said to you, or you mean something completely different, in which case I honestly have no idea what you're trying to tell me, also because I already know all that.

And no offense, but I do believe that several of us have already told you that you can more than likely play games offline, so what they've been telling you on that Xbox forum is nothing new either.

It also doesn't take anything away from my point in which I explained that it really isn't very useful to be offline with your console, seeing as so many of its functions specifically rely on being online, because that's just a default thing, in this day and age. And it has nothing to do at ALL with not being interested in playing online or whatever.

It's about enabling your console to receive either beneficial or even critical updates and patches, that will
(in some cases specifically) offer MASSIVE improvements to your gaming experience. And again:
why would anyone not want that? So, that question is still more or less unanswered, and I still think your focus on not wanting to be online, is a bit short-sighted or perhaps miscommunicated.

On a side note: as it so happens, I can totally relate to not wanting to participate in online multiplayer gaming, because except for one single game (Destiny 2) that I've played with a good friend of mine, who lives in another city, I haven't played a single online multiplayer game on my Xbox One S, and I only ever played a handful of games online on my Xbox 360, so I'm not much of an online gamer myself either, but I can still understand the need for modern consoles to be online regardless, because there's SO much more to being online than just online multiplayer gaming.

That guy in that last Xbox forum thread comment you posted, hits the nail right on the head by saying it really is advised to have the console be connected to the internet.

And on the page that he himself linked to, there's also a bit of rather crucial information:

Note

You must be online when you set up Xbox One for the first time. Without an internet connection, you can’t finish setup. After your Xbox has updated and you’ve added your profile, you can go offline.

And unless the area where you live has really bad internet, you should be just fine. The updates are mostly a one-time download, the first time you install a game, so once that's done, you don't really need to be online anymore to be able to play them.

Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't going to be any additional updates anymore (heck, every once in a while, when I decide to boot up the old Xbox 360, to play an older game, I get a notification for a needed update for almost every title I own), but after that initial update that'll happen automatically during the first install,
you could indeed play the "lesser" version of any game.

If you'd want to, you could even uninstall just the core game, and leave the updates and/or additional content on your hard drive, and then reinstall the game, without ever needing any internet connection for additional and/or necessary downloads.

But anyway, between all of us, the forums and the official Xbox pages, it would seem to me that you will now definitely have the answers that you were looking for...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Yes I got it. It is a matter of principle. I am not against updates.

But when people say that updates are mandatory and you CAN'T play the games just from the disc I guess it is flat out untrue.

I was left with the belief that the X is something different than the older models which it is not. It is the same console just way more powerful.

Also I told you about the option in the S model of 4k updates because this option is NOT present in the X menu at all. You have to turn off the internet or the updates will be forced on you.

That is all. Same deal as with the Xbox 360 just with bigger update sizes and one mandatory OS update.

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras But that was my point: that this option is not there on the X was already known to me, which is also why I told you that on the X, it's mandatory (aka forced), whereas on the other models, you can choose to activate it or not, even though it won't do you much good on these other models.

So, it's actually kind of weird that the option is there in the first place, but on the other hand, it's handy if you ever upgrade from an S to an X, because the 4K updates can be rather hefty, so in some ways, it would be nice to already have them done before you upgrade to the more powerful console.

Game updates are indeed not mandatory, so people saying that this is the case, are indeed lying (or simply uninformed themselves), but the initial console update IS mandatory, hence that being done with the initial boot up, just as mentioned in that official Xbox help page you linked to.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Finally we agree!
I misunderstand mandatory to play as "you CAN'T play without it".

This is where all the confusion came for me

Now I have to start saving money for One X and Pro This is the hard part.

Edited on by Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Well, in the case of the initial install of your console, mandatory does indeed mean that you can't play without it...

But that doesn't count for the games themselves. I've also wondered about that, ever since I had my One S, so I've actually looked up quite a bit of info on the subject myself.

That is probably also where a bit of the mutual confusion came from...

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Really? Doesn't sound very official to me, but interesting nonetheless.
On the other hand: if I can put an update on a USB flash drive, I've probably also used an internet connection, so I might just as well download it to the console directly, instead of taking an extra step in the process...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic