Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,741 to 3,760 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I guess... So far, I've done just fine with using the game thumbnails on the MyGames page.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I liked the thumbnails until some magic point when I wished i could sort them differently (A Hat in Time up first, then a bunch of ACs, with Yooka last at the bottom just felt weird. I tend to think of games by genre more than alphabetical. And having Forza and Need for Speed separated by a bunch of RPGs and Just Cause also felt kind of weird. "Oh, a racing game...this one or....where in the list is the other one?"

I guess it's the old school game store thinking. These days you ask "where's the switch section"....back then you'd go to the racing/simulation shelf or the role playing shelf, or the action shelf, etc. Like Babbages when it was all PC.

NEStalgia

redd214

Darksiders 3 coming out November 27th. Looks more akin to the first than the second from the trailer. Probably won't get it at launch but look forward to playing it eventually

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I was already used to it, because of the arrangement of games on the Xbox 360, so I thought with you also being an Xbox 360 owner, that the move to selecting games on Xbox One would feel largely the same, other than them not being displayed in one, endless, horizontal line.

P.S.

That Lamborghini SUV thing sucks balls, especially on off-terrain parts, weirdly enough. Could be something with the settings, but seeing as I've managed quite decently with quite a few other cars, I've decided that it's the car's fault, so it's now permanently stored in my garage. And you don't have to stick to the cars that you're offered, well, except for in the barn find challenges, but other than that, you can use your in-game credits to buy better cars and upgrades. Don't use tokens, though: tokens are the game's micro-transaction currency.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Dezzy

@redd214

Yep, looks like the first game quite a lot. Fine with me. I slightly preferred the first one.
Both are great though!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 That's great. I'm really looking forward to that game. At first, I was a bit against the whole female protagonist thing, because the game's lore is about the four horse MEN, so it felt like a bit of a politically correct thing to also put in a female character, but I've relaxed my stance and the more I see of it, the more I feel like wanting to play it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

redd214

@ThanosReXXX lol, seriously, that thought never even crossed my mind. Glad you're excited for it!

redd214

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Argh, that might explain it because I was doing so much better before. I can't control that lambo at all! For now I have the dune buggy thingy though....still trying to come to terms with that.

On 360 I didn't touch digital (at all) so I don't think I ever navigated games. Just whatever was in the tray and the settings, so I used two icons total, ever. Groups probably matter more for digital, but also physical for browsing purposes now that HDDs are much bigger with externals rather than the cruddy 30gb in my 360

Also for the Horsewoman, she was always a Horsewoman in the game's lore. I'm with you on hating the PC stuff, but in this case it was like that by design. In the intro to the first game they showed her briefly when they mentioned the 4 riders, and they planed a game for all 4 at the start....I'm good with it if it's part of the game's intended canon from the onset!

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@ThanosReXXX

Yeah but that's mostly because there's no mixed-gender word like "horsepeople". Which sounds more like some kind of horse-human hybrid. Worth pointing out they did decide the four characters from the very beginning of the series. This pic is from a cinematic in the very first Darksiders. So they didn't change a pre-established character to be female. It was female from the start.

Also worth pointing out that the common pop culture interpretations of the four horsemen is mostly invented too. The only one that's actually given a name in the bible is Death. The other names War, Pestilence and Famine were just invented by third party commentators later on, sometimes based on very dubious inferences. So THQ aren't taking any more liberties with the source material than anyone else has.

Untitled

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Haha, well, even if you only have disc-based games, the Xbox 360 still creates a thumbnail for that in your game list, so if you go to the my games list on the 360, it looks pretty much the same as on the Xbox One, except on the 360, they were arranged in one, long horizontal row. Did kinda make it a chore to select a game starting with one of the last letters of the alphabet, though...

@NEStalgia @Dezzy Yeah, my bad: I should have said Biblical lore, obviously. But I simply meant the Biblical story used in the game, and as such, I kinda mistakenly labeled it "the game's lore".

@Dezzy well, there may not be something like "horse people", but there are Amazons, which, for all intents and purposes, are horse-women...

And horse-human hybrids are of course centaurs... But they didn't have anything to do with the apocalypse...

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy Interesting addition, about the source material. I was under the impression that they were featured/mentioned in the New Testament, though? May not be the first book, and the later added horsemen may be medieval additions, but that's still quite old, and it sounds original enough to me, for them to be basis for any story, movie or game mentioning them...

On a side note: I'm not really a religious guy, but I do like stuff like this, hence the interest in stories such as these.

Zuljaras

I have another newb question about the Xbox 360. I just found out about disc swapping. It even goes for games on multiple discs that are INSTALLED on the HDD to require disc swap.

So if you play open world game and go back and fourth you have to manually swap discs?!? For example Fallout 3 game of the year edition. Do you have to switch your disc every time you step into the DLC area? This seems idiotic!

Are there games on multiple discs that allow you to install the whole game and verify it with only one disc?

Now I understand why people prefer to hack their consoles.

EDIT: I read that some nice games only use the 2nd disc as install only like Elder Scrolls Oblivion GOTY and GTA V.

Edited on by Zuljaras

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, PS4 and Switch do the "one long row" thing which is pretty annoying. Both also create the icon for discs/carts too. But I don't think I ever looked at or used them back then Just the currently loaded disc up front

Also IIRC, I think they went with a female Fury, playing off the caricature of "H*** hath no fury...."....I recall that coming up in an interview somewhere

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Yes, unfortunately, that's a thing for most disc-based Xbox 360 games. The thing is, that the Xbox 360 doesn't really "install" games, like you would on a PC. What it actually does, is simply copy/make an image of the disc in the drive, so your installed game is running something similar to a virtual drive, except it will still need the verification key of the disc it needs to run, so if you need to insert disc 2, 3 or 4, then you will still need to put the physical disc in for the key, but other than that, all the other stuff is loaded from the hard drive/external hard drive.

There are some exceptions, though, such as Forza 3, Halo 4, and I have the two disc edition of Borderlands, and that too doesn't need the second disc once installed. All games do require the first disc in the drive by default, even when installed, though. It's simply part of the Xbox's piracy protection/DRM policy.

But here's something you could try:
https://www.thetechgame.com/Archives/t=542516/how-to-play-xbo...
apparently that works, even on a non-hacked Xbox 360.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia You can say Hell on here...
Interesting to know. I must have missed that back then, because I didn't like the character being a woman, initially, so I never took note of any interviews or articles at first.

@Zuljaras and don't worry about asking "newb" questions: what you don't know, you just don't know, and we're here to help with anything, provided that it's something that we actually DO have an answer for...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX For a second I regretted the purchase of the console. However I would love to stay away from such game releases. For now there are just couple of games that require you to swap the discs even AFTER installation of ALL discs. Other do not want this they only require one disc in the console for the DRM key.

Is this a problem with the XboxOne and PS4? I know they have mandatory installs like on PC but if they all use blurays I guess just a handful of games have more than 1 disc.

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Well, there aren't THAT many multi-disc games, so you won't come across that particular problem too often. As for the Xbox One: if you mean Xbox One games, then yes, they still use the disc check, unless of course (obviously) you've bought the game digitally.

And Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One also require the disc in the drive. But if you buy an Xbox Live subscription, and download the free games each month, then those are obviously digital, and from the 4 free games on offer each month, 2 games are Xbox 360 games, and those can also be downloaded to the Xbox One, provided the titles are listed on the backward compatibility list, obviously...

And even if you don't play online, all of that still makes it worth it to buy an Xbox Live subscription. I do believe I linked to some sites in an earlier comment to you, but if I need to re-post them, just let me know.

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX The disc check does not bother me at all. After all it is not like on the PS3 where the game disc is required to spin almost ALL the time.

It bothers me when a game requires you to swap discs where other multi-disc games offers you the luxury of just installing the DLCs from the second disc and play the game with only one disc.

But as I said only handful of games do that like Mass Effect and The Witcher 2, L.A. Noir and couple more that I am not event interested in.

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Those games where you don't need the second disc anymore after installation, are actually the exception, and there's also an important difference: with these exceptions, any additional discs are mostly DLC or extra levels, whereas with the other games, it's simply a necessary part of the actual game itself, without which the game can't continue.

For example: in Forza 3, you can choose to either only install the main game, or the game and the second disc, which contains extra tracks, car packs and some other stuff, but that second disc isn't necessary to still be able to play the original game, but in a game like Blue Dragon (which is actually 5 discs, making it one of the biggest Xbox 360 games out there), the story simply continues on from one disc to the next, so you really NEED those other discs.

But indeed, all in all, it's only a relatively small list of multi-disc games, like I already said, and if you're not even interested in them, then there's even less of a problem than I initially thought, right?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic