Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,541 to 3,560 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX LOL, yeah....I don't have too big a problem with keeping the aim (then again I have that awesome wired Razer controller. Coincidence? but it does get you seasick after a while

That's another good argument for good wired controllers though. If you rage-throw it, you won't hadouken your TV.

After playing Mario Tennis: Aces single player, no other game is rage inducing by comparison. The plastic of my controller was stressing and probably turning white.: P

Haha, yeah, I'm still trying to get a handle on the gameplay loop of gears. I didn't play much (it's the remastered version of 1)....it's cool....but dang is that hard! I've been playing XBox games like 20 minutes at a time lately just to try them all out and see what they're like (I went crazy on the sale...I have like 72 XBox games now between that sale, the few weeks before, bundles, BC, GamePass, etc. (Sonic & Knuckles, on the closest thing to a Sega console....that's cool ) Switch is my "main" platform for now...I like playing outdoors with my Nintendo handhelds whenever I can, so that takes priority when the weather is nice

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Wired controllers? No, these were even worse. My N64 is full of scrapes and scratches, due to controller abuse, and don't get me started on broken internals on the cables themselves...

I try to keep my anger in check, though. It's not good in general, bur especially not for me, since it used to be a real problem for me, half a lifetime ago, but I managed to overcome it. But it's only contained, not gone...

Either way, not having to crawl under all types of furniture to try and find my rechargeable batteries, is also a good incentive to not throw the controller...

But ehm... 72 games? All voluntarily bought or do you also count Games with Gold games? I do have more, seeing as I have already been collecting free Xbox One games for over two years now, even though I didn't have one yet, but I knew I was going to get it eventually, so might as well start to collect the free games while we were at it, no?

So, as a result, I had an instant library once the One was up and running in the House of Thanos...
Sad thing is that back then, I saw myself putting just as much time in it as I have done with the Xbox 360, but I also started my business two years ago, and ever since then, I just haven't found as much time for gaming as I used to. I'm actually glad and content to just sit and relax in front of the TV, once the working day is done and I've finished my evening meal.

So, gaming is mostly for the weekends, on Fridays and Saturdays, and sometimes a Sunday, but not too long, because we have to get up in the morning again for the next working week...

And when the weather is nice, I don't game at all. I just go biking, walking, or sitting on a terrace with a cold beer or a cuba libre...

Right now, I'm watching the Soccer World Championship, so that means even less time for gaming, what with the three matches a day in the last two weeks, and the double matches since today. And at the end of the month, I'll also be spending my time with other activities, because then, my pre-ordered NES Classic Mini arrives, which I'll need to hack, obviously, to complement the library until it is completely to my personal taste...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

Haha, my NES and SNES gear survived some abuse back in the day, that's for sure!

That includes GwG, and GamePass games (though not many of those yet.) Mostly it's outright bought games, but few for over $20 (and several were bundles of 3 games or so in there like NFS.) But I pre-paid for 3 years of Game Pass at half price, so I get to keep those for some time It includes some 360 BC games too. And a number of re-buys I had on PS4 before I knew I was getting a 1 but would much rather have on the X1. I pretty much caught up on everything from the past 5 years that interests me for 80% off

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

I just discovered Halo: ODST's campaign is available as $5 DLC for the MCC!! Awesome, that for some reason is my favorite Halo!

@ThanosReXXX I take it back, the wired controller actually has a magnetic break-away cable....so you'd still hadouken your TV. Ah well!

Also, Horizon 3, I fear I should not have picked the Bimmer. No wonder everyone on the roads with a blue BMW drives like a maniac, the things handle like a walrus on skates (And I don't mean the "Orange Crush" ), they're not reckless, they're just only barely in control. "German engineering." Pfft. I finished 12th in one of those random races, then finished 3rd on retrying. Had a satisfying "run through the dirt, take out some signposts, and knock everyone away from the outside left, more than slightly forcibly" chasing through the pack. Like a true blue Bimmer owner on the way to the doggie daycare.

Got to my first "festival" you have to unlock by winning other races (I spent 3 sessions in the customization garage not understanding how to start the race....then figured out I couldn't yet.)

One thing I'm confused about: One big feature they showcased for Horizon 4 is that it's shared world and the other cars are players too, like The Crew. But....I realized during my race that there were gamertags above the other cars....and in the open world, I saw plenty of gamertags going by....so if they're in 3, what's special about 4? Or are these just "ghosts", AIs using real player names for scoring purposes?

Edit: I also discovered that after buying the season pass, Hot Wheels downloaded but Blizzard Mountain inexplicably didn't. I had to grab it manually. No biggie but I may have never noticed I was missing what I paid for!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Cool video IGN did comparing Forza Horizon 4 to real-life locations.

(in which we indirectly learn that Edinburgh is going to be in the game- which is awesome- Edinburgh is my 2nd favourite city in the UK, after Bath)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Break-away cable? Yeah, NOW they do. A couple of generations too late for my poor N64...

I'm seriously beginning to doubt your racing skills, though. I actually won quite a few races with the BMW.
I selected the standard white one (M4), and selected the black and orange decal/cover set for it. Was my standard car for quite a few races. But maybe it's because I already played the previous Forza Horizon games, in which case I should give you the benefit of the doubt, because then it's just about getting more used to how cars control in Forza Horizon.

Oh, and I do believe it's called a Beemer, not a bimmer. Beemer as in: Bee-Em-Double You...

I think you're correct on the tags: those are ghosts from other players. (EDIT: Drivatars aren't ghosts, obviously)
I even came across one of my friend's gamer tags, even though he wasn't online at the time. But I also remember reading that it is a mix of the two. They call them "Drivatars", as in avatars of your gamer tag, driving around in the world, even if you're not there. It's AI making your car drive around without you at the wheel, and it's supposed to be more incentive for competitive gameplay. As in: "I want to beat that total stranger's computer-controlled car"...

Too bad that you yourself don't get any experience points for letting your AI-abused car beat someone else...

But it can obviously also happen that multiple people are playing the same game, at the same time, in which case, you could meet a real person, depending on where he or she is on the map. If I remember correctly, you can only communicate in-game with horns (or pressing X) when it concerns computer-controlled cars, and when it's real people that are in the game at the same time, then there's obviously an option for voice chat.

Since I don't own Horizon 4, I have no idea if the Drivatars have returned, but if not, then that might be the main difference in online play, so you'd only be coming across and racing against actual people online. But perhaps someone else can shed some light on that specific question of yours.

As for the expansion: you wouldn't have to worry about forgetting it, since (as I mentioned before) it will automatically unlock at a certain number of opened festivals, so if you would still not have downloaded the expansion by then, the game would automatically prompt you to do so, when you've opened enough festivals and you reach the destination on the map where the expansion is supposed to be.

@Dezzy Here's some more of that, and some first-hand details from one of the developers himself, during the Inside Xbox segment after the main presentation at this year's E3:

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia ODST being DLC for MCC in 2015 is one of the big reasons why lots of people are hoping for ODST Firefight and Reach to be added after the base MCC is fixed. The concept of 1 place for all your pre-XB1 FPS Halo content.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Okay, seems I was only half right about the Drivatars. The concept actually DOES gain you rewards under certain circumstances, such as "hiring" Drivatars from other people you know, which means that once you've done that, the points they themselves gain from then on, will also be rewarded to you.

And there's more, but I'll just leave this link here, instead of making another text wall:
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst64372_Drivata...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, you should doubt my racing skills, I'm not a racing buff Last racer I played was either NFS Rivals on PS4 launch or NFS Most Wanted on WiiU launch window But dang that Beeeeeeeeemer is swishy. (Yeah, I usually say Beemer as well, but it seems to have become a slang around here to use "Bimmer" (even mod shops are using that now on ads)....which to me just sounds that much more absurd....so I abuse it whenever I can. Nothing quite says "pretentious d-bag" like a blue Bimmer. (except maybe a silver Audi, for those that are too hipster and choose something different, ironically...) Obviously it's a bit different in perception on your side of the pond, naturally. But here it remains the vehicular equivalent of aviators and leather bomber jackets

@Dezzy The Real Life Engine one on the right looks totally off. There's this noise present ruining the texture fidelity through most of it, the microcontrast on the edges seem overshaprened, and it's clear the anti-aliasing is overdone, you can see the sharp edges and the softness in textures all over it. I'm not even sure it's running in native 4k, that looks maybe scaled to me. And the lighting effects are kind of sloppy. Too much bloom, and I'm betting it doesn't have HDR. I'm not impressed. I'm sure someone will mod it on PC and it will be better there.

(And if you're not laughing, you need more coffee/tea.)

@Grumblevolcano Ahhhh, I get it now, I thought people were hoping for JUST online Firefight plus all of Reach and not ODST campaign....I hadn't realized the mention of Firefight was because ODST campaign was already available! That's just too cool! I don't care about Firefight, but I'd love to have Reach just to round out the collection. I have the disc still, but it would be nice to be in the MCC.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Ahh, cool about Drivatars....so that does explain it, it's not really a shared world, but a simulation of a shared world using player data, while Horizon 4 has an actual shared world. Makes sense. I still actually dislike the actual shared world in a way for this, so I may like 3 more after all. But at least it makes sense

(Also, darn limeys and kiwis with the wrong side of the road. #notmyfault #theroadiswrong)

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I'm still wondering how they came to say "Bimmer", then because it sounds like crap. Possibly some lousy and completely un-funny attempt at sounding German or something...

By the way: that video I posted also has some more information on the new things in Horizon 4, so that might be an interesting watch for you as well.

As for driving on the wrong side of the road: nowadays, we're in total agreement, but I assume you know how that came to be? If not: it has everything to do with knights and/or noblemen on their horses and which side was their sword arm, which was the right arm. so they had to stay on the left side of the road to be able to freely swing their swords without lopping off the head of their horse...

Nowadays, English noblemen and drivers just use the right side window of their respective vehicles to stick out their "giving the finger" arm...

As for that shared world, though: I re-watched that video that I myself posted a couple of comments back, and if you look at it from a perspective of how these types of games have evolved, it actually sounds like a step back: shared world, as explained in the video, also means the same seasons and the same time of day for everyone everywhere in the world, so you could be playing in the evening, and in the game, it could be in the morning or in the middle of the day, depending on where the servers are.

A couple of years back, the big thing in racing sims and online racing in general, was "now with real time clock and weather", but with the whole shared world thing, we're actually going back to how it used to be in those older race games again. But regardless of that, it still looks and sounds like a really great game, and seeing as I have all the previous three games as well, I'll probably get this one at some point as well.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX No idea how they came up with Bimmer, but it's a thing....and Bimmer owners seem to respond to it by buying stuff from places that call it a Bimmer..... I guess they used to identify is Beemer owners but now identify as Bimmer owners. Bunch of hipsters, the lot of them.

Actually I may grow to like the left side if I can use my sword arm to deal with blue Bimmer owners! Good show Britons! That right there is forward thinking! Inventing the future, yesterday!

Hmm, that's an interesting point on time of day in the shared world I didn't think about....although that brings up another point. If it's set in the UK that means it probably follows the time of day and seasons of those locales in the UK, so I guess it makes sense that everyone sees London at the same time in the time of day/season that it actually currently is in London at that moment. So maybe that's not a negative. Yeah it's daytime as I play at night: But in London it's actually daytime so the world is shown the same a live TV camera would show it. Real-time....but for the actual location of the game.

I just dislike the broken immersion of actual people doing things actual people do rather than a more idyllic "this is my road fantasy" escape. If I wanted to deal with real people on the roads I'd go outside.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, in that case, this shared world thing should be right up your alley. You'll always be playing in the wrong time of day from your perspective...
Over here, it's only a one hour difference, so depending on winter or summer, that means practically no difference with real life.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Wrong side of the road, wrong time of day....it's kind of symmetrical when you think about it

@redd214 well isn't that interesting. I'll file that under things I'd rather not have stored in my brain but now do The history part where "beemers" were not all owned by said pretentious d-bags is a highlight

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia trust me if there's on thing we have an over abundance of in my area its BMW drivers who don't understand the concept of lanes or turn signals or stop signs lol. I know what you mean 😂

redd214

DarkRula

Since when has Horizon ever had a real-time clock? I can drive around for hours at a time whether online or offline and go through an entire day cycle and a half in about two.
And it was already confirmed for FH4 that seasons last a real world week, so any talk of real-world clocks/seasons isn't needed for this series. And you can revert back to a Drivatar-based world in Horizon 4 if you don't want to see annoying [bleep]s drawing 'things' on an airport runway.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

NEStalgia

@redd214 I think several years in a row BMW drivers, and specifically, for some reason, Cobalt Blue BMW drivers have been rated consistently the worst drivers in America (at least in terms of reported violations.) Silver Audi owners are giving them a run for their money these days though as more people convert So when I saw a blue (not Cobalt though) M4 in the game, I figured it was fitting since I knew I'd be flying off the road and ramming into everyone all the time, swerving like a maniac. I figured I might as well go for all out simulator.

@DarkRula They said seasons last a week? Ohh, that's interesting, the main presentation made it sound like it was tied to real seasons so if you play in Winter you see Winter, if you play in Fall you see Fall (like Animal Crossing New Leaf.) Also SUPER cool that you can jump back to drivatars....I may just like 4 after all! There's enough blue Bimmers to deal with controlled by humans in real life, I'd rather my game time be spent away from them

@DarthNocturnal It's amazing how they're treating MCC as this sort of limitless free (or cheap DLC) content world to keep throwing stuff at. That one game has more content than all of Nintendo's E3 this year! (bada bing!)

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Well, the only thing I learned is that my fellow Americans have now, apparently since a couple of years, adapted a misnomer for Beemer (which was always just a nickname for the brand in general, not for cars or bikes specifically) that reminds me WAY too much of a couple of words that I can't type here, due to them being NSFW, or even NSFH... (small hint: one of them has something to do with tossing salad)

@DarkRula Forza Horizon never had a real-time clock, but this shared world thing is at the very least a real-time clock for one region of the world, apparently. And what's needed or not for the series, will more than likely be decided by the developers, not by the players. Player feedback is only one small part of the entire equation, after all...

As for those drawings on runways: you do know what they say about the relationship between the size of a man's car and a certain appendage...

Feeling the need to also draw bigger than life versions of that appendage, is probably just another expression of that same symptom...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia By the way: what's up with the aversion to the color blue? I truly wonder what has happened over there, in the 39 years that I've been away. A couple of years ago, all or most of the sneers were about hybrid or electric cars, and they're almost always blue. Even standup comedian/ventriloquist Jeff Dunham used it in one of his shows, mentioning a "powder-blue Prius".

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic