Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,501 to 3,520 of 11,903

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

Yeah but a last gen game basically needs no changes made to it. Higher resolution and higher framerate and you're done. No reason that should take very long.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

Cloud saves are a wonderful thing. I bought Deus ex hr digitally. Loaded it up, and was greeted by syncing cloud saves. Sure enough, continue brought me to mid boss battle at the end of picus. Where i left off 12112011. How cool is that?

Crew 2 is... Mixed. Really cool, looks beautiful, screw the cars, boats and planes and if road are cool. But where 1 had bad races and cool cohesion, 2 feels like Steep with engines. There's an open world but no actual sense of reason to use it... Just quick travel to events from a menumap.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Heheheh... Yeah, The Crew is a nice try, but Forza Horizon is just SO much better than that, isn't it?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

@DarthNocturnal

Yeah but a last gen game basically needs no changes made to it. Higher resolution and higher framerate and you're done. No reason that should take very long.

Yes there is: Anniversary editions. Can't bank on nostalgia if it hasn't been long enough to be nostalgic...and believe me, it'll take a long time before enough people have feelings for FFXIII that resemble "nostalgia"...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX even putting horizon and nfs aside, both better imo, crew 2 has a crisis versus crew 1. Racing is (much much) better, and the water and air plus off-road added makes it special, but the package that binds it is like Steep... Which is to say, gawd awful. . Step is amazing as basically the only winter action sports game ever, and it does events so well, but the game would be better with just a menu and linear progress than that horrible excuse for an open world. In fact the Pyong Chang Olympic expansion is infinitely better than the main game because it does just that. Then crew 2 follows the same bad formula

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@CanisWolfred

Yeah I didn't realise next year will be the 10 year anniversary. That might be it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Good to know. I'll keep that in mind. I only have the first game, and I found it to be only mildly entertaining, and the driving seemed kinda "off" to me, so at some point, I just stopped playing it. Good thing I didn't buy it myself: it came with the free games of Games with Gold.

Still have it installed, though. No idea why, since I never even play it anymore and Forza Horizon 3 already fulfills all my open world racing needs...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX yeah i think i paid 6.50 for 1 on psn. It was a cool open world, but the physics felt like a marginally improved watch dogs

This one definitely improved the racing... Feels decent now, but still worse than nfs. Boats are awesome. The planes are cool but feel like if watch dogs had planes. But the world is just empty, same seeming filler to get from one mission event to the next.... Like Steep. At least 1 tried the whole street crew revenge thing. This one is just "hey duude, your a sponsored extreme racer, ready for the next red bull event?"

Horizon has flow. Nfs us flow. Nfs ultimate was 30a few weeks back. Rivals, nfs reboot, and payback. None are great. All are better than this. . Buut.... The boats and planes ARE cool

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, cool as they may be, you already lost me at Red Bull. HATE that stuff...
So, unless game number two in the series also comes to Games with Gold, I'm sure as hell not going to spend my precious money on it voluntarily.

And the boats can NEVER be as cool as the ones in Hydro Thunder Hurricane, one of my personal favorite arcade boat racers.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, and for planes, we have the excellent SkyDrift...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX ohh, i hadn't heard of skydrift. My interest is definitely piqued! I'm not really a car racing fan... i have some fun with these series but it's not something i get especially exited over either.... But planes.... That's exciting ;l

Lol yeah ubi has a redbull license, so they use that as the real world tie in for their actions sports games (though it's fair since red bull often *is*the real life sponsor if such events.... But i agree, at least crew 1 went for that nfs grit mood. crew 2 is going for the pro amateur career racer attending red bull events for the sponsors kind of thing. Like horizon, but more poorly arranged.

Though it's a beta, so it might be more coherent in the retail release... But it's ubi. I own Steep. I'm not counting on it.

Oh forgot to mention it also has this admittedly cool but nonsensical mechanic of bending the world so that nyc bends into a right angle for the good of the race into a Mario kart 8 track..... And somehow society doesn't seem to mind. . Very unique... Very ubisoft. Makes no sense. I think you'll be getting it free with gwg before you think.

Not many betas manage to kill interest in a game like this one, though the visuals and physics are good.

NEStalgia

redd214

@ThanosReXXX man I've been playing a lot of the Crew 2 beta and every single time I do a boat race it makes my think of Hydro Thunder lol. Those were some great games, would love to see those modernized. You planning on getting Horizon 4?

@NEStalgia the bending track warp thing is only in the tutorial races. Rest of the game doesn't have it at all from the 10 or so hours I've put into the beta

Edited on by redd214

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah... someone who actually knows how to spell "my interest is piqued"...
I always wonder what people are sometimes thinking it means. Peeked, peaked...

Anyway, concerning SkyDrift (yes, it is written like that, with two capitals), you'll have to check the relevant eShops/marketplaces of the previous gen consoles, aka the Xbox 360 and PS3, but I do believe it is compatible with the Xbox One (although I'm not completely sure), so you could check if you can still buy it on the Xbox's market place, and play it on the Xbox One.

And if that's not possible, then you could always get the Steam version. Have you looked up a trailer yet? It's basically Hydro Thunder in the air, mixed with a bit of Mario Kart-like weapon items usage.

Here you go:

It has a nifty bit of DLC as well, called The Gladiator Pack:

@redd214 Yeah, I'll get it eventually. I have all of the previous games, so I don't think I'm going to skip the latest installment. But right now, I have both little time for gaming, and little funds to spend on them, and besides that, I still have quite a ways to go in Forza Horizon 3, so I'm good for the time being, keeping myself busy with that game, and all the free Games with Gold, some of which I've hardly touched, so far.

As for Hydro Thunder being modernized: it already was, on the Xbox 360, in the form of the aforementioned Hydro Thunder Hurricane. And that looks absolutely fabulous on the Xbox One.

redd214

@ThanosReXXX yeah I'm familiar with hurricane. We used to have it installed on one of the computers at my office and would play during lunch breaks lol! That was almost a decade ago tho I'm sure they could do a ton more with it nowadays.

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Well, I wouldn't go so far to say that they could do a TON more with it. They could spruce it up a little bit more, but other than that...

It already looked quite good on the Xbox 360 8 years ago, looks and plays even better on the Xbox One, AND it is an arcade racer, a genre that usually isn't subject to massive changes. Putting in too much takes away from what should be a simple, yet addictive experience.

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, that's a good game too, and it looks slightly more next gen. It is a good example of how little is/needs to be changed in this genre, though:

Arcade racers often fall into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. Only few titles or new IP manage to add something to it that is actually to the benefit of the genre.

A good example of this was Split Second, and a bad example is Ridge Racer Unbounded, which changed too much and made it a rather mediocre game. I actually never saw that coming, since it was made by the excellent team that also makes the brilliant FlatOut arcade racers.

redd214

@ThanosReXXX I don't mean features wise nesecarily. More tracks (from what I recall there weren't that many), vehicles/variety things like that. The riptide games are ok, nothing spectacular got em on sale for a few bucks and had decent time with them.

redd214

redd214

Speaking of Horizon 4 seems at least part of the car list has leaked. I'm sure they'll have more by release, seems like a really well rounded list

https://www.gtplanet.net/reddit-user-uncovers-partial-car-lis...

@DarthNocturnal if you're going to wait anyways really no point in getting anything but the standard version. Outside of early access and some in game discounts the deluxe/gold really don't seem to add to much value this time around. I was fully planning on getting the gold but settled for the standard, saved some cash😊

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Grumblevolcano

I haven't finished Horizon 3 yet so I'm skipping Horizon 4 for the time being.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Looking at SkyDrift, it actually makes me think of Sonic Transformed's flying sections. I'll give Crew 2 that the planes are more about stunt acrobatics than about pure racing, which is cool (still arcade handling, not sim handling.) That's the only thing that makes me still pay attention to Crew 2 though. It otherwise feels like a disjointed mishmash. They still have a few months to tie it together better though.

I tested out Titanfall 2 yesterday ($6 on the big sale, yay!) and at least the intro part actually feels amazing. I was kind of shocked how cool it seemed and how well it ran. And Sunset Overdrive is still insanely hard, and really really fun. That's the only thing that keeps me interested in Spiderman for PS4....Insomniac has yet to make a game that isn't just crazy off the rails fun.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Now that I have a few years of gamepass stock piled from the half price sale, I'll be getting Horizon 4 for "free" at launch At full price it's insufficient value but for half price, it was a good buy!

@DarthNocturnal Surprised to hear even you turned off on Crew 2. Yeah, it had such potential but just feels kind of....there.... I'm not sure what made them think the Steep formula was a good idea. It was panned in that game too.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic