Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 3,281 to 3,300 of 6,818

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo "minimalistic/simplistic UI on both the PlayStation 4 [...]"

LOL, good on.....wait.....you were being serious?

I love my PS4....but that interface is just horrid. Sure, Metro on XBox and Windows are still somehow managing to be even worse.....

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

@NEStalgia This is pretty much what the homepage on my PlayStation 4 looks like:

Untitled

If this doesn’t look minimalistic/simplistic to you, I don’t know what is!

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo Until you actually have a game's tile selected and that big mess opens up. Or, you know, you want to go into settings, PSN/trophies/etc details. All the pop-out panels are a mess.

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

I didn't think XB1's UI was sluggish... but then one person's fast is another's slow.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Dezzy

PS4 menu looks fine to me. Can someone post the Xbox One version?

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Peek-a-boo

@NEStalgia Well, you need to display information about the games themselves, especially multiplayer ones that shows various multiplayer features such as chat, invites and groups. I agree that it can be streamlined, yes, but given the online infrastructure between each game, it isn’t an easy job.

Let’s just say that upon first glance, it looks relatively clean and simple... until you dive into the games information and the various settings beyond the surface. It certainly helps if you have a clutter free theme, just like the 20th Anniversary one shown above!

@Dezzy This is the current UI design, which I believe is the third attempt since the Xbox One came to be:

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo Honestly the XBox One and PS4 UIs don't even seem that different to me. Switch has it nice and clean, much more like a mobile OS where everything is uniform. The PS4.....it doesn't really count even with the clean theme (though it's most fair to compare default themes), since you go to a game, and EVERY game has a busy, noisy backdrop (sometimes literally), with it's own odd unique menu of garbage strewn all over, videos that start playing on loop, random odd links to DLC strewn everywhere. There's no need for that. It's not because of online infrastructure, it's because of bad UI design. The myriad of add-ons and features could easily be a uniform menu that would be less "pretty" but much more functionally minimalist and much easier to navigate all games in a uniform way.

I expect bad interfaces from Sony though. Never had a Sony product of any type with an interface that wasn't awful since that 1989 VCR.....

The XBO interface's crime is it's as though they've copied Sony, and blended it with the already awful Win10 interface.

I liken the effect to Flash based website navigation. At least the interwebs got rid of it, even if consoles cling to it.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

The best console UI is still Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@Peek-a-boo that ui looks better than the last time i booted my xbone ....been over a year. i will dig it out of storage...at some point.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano WiiU's UI was the best of times and the worst of times. The layout, interface, etc was so nicely designed in some areas, and so painfully PalmOS-like in others. PalmOS was great....in its day. And........it's.......hard.......to.......forget.......the......boot.....and.......menu.....speed......of.......WiiU.

I have to actually give credit to PS Vita. Before Switch it was the best UI around, despite some idiosyncrasies. X360 was cool on revision 2. And then they ruined it.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

Yeah, the One S is incredibly cheap. They were €165 (£142!) last year!

Problem is, looking through their list of exclusives, I can't find any reason to pick one up, even if you include their BC programme. All I can think of is Sunset Overdrive and The Last Night (upcoming indie game). But that's all, I think. Perhaps ReCore...

I'd probably play Super Lucky's Tale, Sunset Overdrive, Gigantic, Rare's Retro Collection, Killer Instinct, and the Halo games if I ever got the Xbone. And if Crackdown 3, doesn't turn out to be a dud. Didn't ReCore get a re-release? If that's better, I might go for that, too. Still, there's not quite enough that would make me buy it on its own. That's why I'm so worried about Backwards compatibilitity...

Also, thank you, @Dezzy, for reminding me that Tales of Vesperia isn't Backwards compatible, yet...that's another big one I'm still waiting for...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal

I gave up on ReCore a ways in (had all rifle colors, 4 robots). The combat was driving me bonkers. Not even Monster Hunter had death-combo'd me so much. And that's without double-jump, dashing, etc.

I wanted to like it, but it just... stopped being fun.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

carlos82

Got to say the Xbox One X is my favourite console at the moment, for all the talk of exclusives I have no shortage of games to play and for third parties there is no comparison. Added to that the excellent backwards compatibility and with all the talk of what games Sega will bring to it's Ages collection I have Panzer Dragoon Orta in 1920p on my Xbox One X and it looks incredible. In this regard at least the Xbox is well ahead of the competition, offering either just improved performance in old games or in an increasing number resolutions up to 4K and all for free if you already have the discs.

I agree there isn't much reason to buy the S as much of what I said simply won't apply but for anyone with a bit more money to burn the X is a far superior console to the Pro

carlos82

Switch Friend Code: SW-5967-3221-9309 | My Nintendo: Carlos

SuperWeird

I'm very happy with my X. I sold my PS4 last year (I owned it since launch), and bought an X instead, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I was never really thrilled with my PS4 for a ton of reasons (controller sucked, no-backwards compatibility with my PS3 digital purchases, annoying full-page military ads on the home screen—right next to Call of Duty no less, and I don't really care about any of their solo player exclusives). Most of my non-Nintendo gaming is via third party publishers, and the X is definitely the best place to play those games. I also love the X controller and their backwards compatibility with 360 games. Currently playing Red Dead Redemption in 4K, thanks to the recent update. Far Cry 5 in 4k is spectacular. Monster Hunter is amazing. Looking forward State of Decay 2. I love my X and don't miss my PS4 at all.

Edited on by SuperWeird

SuperWeird

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Read those two comments above mine, and let that sink in for a while.

And then go to the store and buy yourself an Xbox One X and never look back...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

Dezzy

X is just too expensive. I'd never buy a games console at that price, especially when it's just offering hardware improvement rather than exclusive games. Better off just putting the same money towards a good PC.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX @Dezzy .....and so the great debate continues.

Though I find myself playing less multiplats again. Nintendo/Sony are keeping me busy on exclusives and good 3rd parties, and I stocked up on a few during the good winter PSN sales....so I'm in that comfortable backlog territory keeping me from yearning for the latest again Until June anyway....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy And yet, people would still buy a PS4 Pro for the hardware improvements, with it's faux, checker-board 4K shenanigans, when these literally pale in comparison with the X's actual 4K resolutions.

And besides the improvements in three generations of games (current, Xbox 360 AND OG Xbox), there's obviously also the much better backward compatibility, and contrary to popular belief, there are more than enough exclusives, especially if you aren't, or don't want to be a PC gamer, and this is exactly what it is about: not everybody wants to buy a game PC, or sit at a desk to play games.

Consoles are about convenience, being all-in-one boxes, and having a good mix of performance and comfort. You could make a PC setup work in the same way, but it would be more costly than an X, which can now be bought for around $450 - $499, which is a bit cheaper than what you would have to pay for a decent gaming PC, which starts at around $500 minimum and only goes up from there, depending on your wishes. And when the holidays arrive, the price of the X will only go further down, so before the end of this year has come, it'll probably cost around $385 - $400.

And needless to say that, because of them often being sold in bundles, this price also includes a couple of games, and what is probably one of the best controllers ever made. When buying a gaming PC, that minimum of $500 does NOT include games or controllers, so that expense will also have to be added, making the additional purchase already at least $100 - $150 more expensive on top of the system itself.

And even though at that price, the PC is obviously more powerful than any console is, that's not what it's about, as I already explained earlier. For most gamers, consoles are the right mix. A good, relatively high end experience, but without all the hassle that especially PC gaming newcomers might come across.

Even as an experienced PC gamer, I sometimes still come across some issues, although admittedly small, that are relatively easy to solve IF you know where to look and/or if you know what you're doing, but for most mainstream gamers, a console is simply the better/easier option.

And as for those exclusives, the list may not be ridiculously large, but there definitely is a lot of quality stuff in there:
(list also includes a couple of upcoming games)

Halo series
Halo Wars series
Forza series
Forza Horizon series
Sea of Thieves or any other Rare game
Gears of War series
Sunset Overdrive
Cuphead
Ori series
ReCore
Quantum Break
Titanfall series (although the second game was also released on PS4, it's still better on the X)
Dead Rising series
State of Decay 2
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Crimson Dragon
Project Spark
Ryse: Son of Rome
Screamride
Powerstar Golf
Zoo Tycoon series
Crackdown 3
Killer Instinct
Deep Rock Galactic
Black Desert Online
Super Lucky's Tale
Ashen
The Last Night
The Darwin Project

And arguably, PUBG is also still an Xbox One exclusive, if you don't play games on PC or on a smart device.

But of course, depending on personal preferences/likes/interests, there is always a chance that only a handful of those titles are interesting to someone, but then again: the same goes for the exclusives on the other platforms.

Far as I can see, there are more than enough exclusives to choose from, and coupled with the excellent backward compatibility, best visuals and performance of ALL consoles, and Microsoft's still superior online service and free games initiatives (Games with Gold and Game Pass), the Xbox One X really is the best choice if you're truly interested in getting the most out of a console.

So, performance-wise and service-wise, it easily wins the race, and it's exclusives might be small in number, but certainly nothing to scoff at. That being said, if either Sony's or Nintendo's exclusives are more interesting to someone, then that would obviously be the way to go instead.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, that's only 6 weeks away, and by then, we've all already gone mad about all those E3 rumors...

But after that storm has died down, I'll be sure to get back to you about that Xbox One X...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX We'll have all been bound in straight jackets due to Pokemania by then

But...yeah....it's on the radar (unless a PS5 is announced....I don't expect it yet though.)

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic