Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I'll probably give Game Pass a try in the fall when I'm back to more indoor play and less on the Switch (right now I'm messing with it because it's new, but this is Switch's season to be out and about!) Oddly I'm not sure if Pass is right for me, yet it's one of the reasons I got interested in XBox again to begin with. I figure, just recapping the Halos I've missed, trying out Sea of Thieves, Forza (not a racing fan really), and a bunch of other games on offer, for $10 (or if you use your links you can get it for $23 for 3 months. So basically if I just pay for Pass over the winter, for the price of 1 game I get to spend all season trying a ton of them. Could be worth it in bursts. Until they raise the price. And you know they'll raise the price....

Plus, like with Gold, there's a flat 20% discount to purchase anything in the store, so just buying, say, Forza while a member pays for the month

I'm not a fan of rental services, but I figure, back in the 90's I'd rent a game for $3.50 for 1 game and get to keep it 2 nights. MS wants $10 (or 8) for 100 games, and lets me keep them 30 nights, and gives me 20% off to buy them. It's not a replacement for game ownership, but it's the best rental system for games since the video stores closed over 10 years ago. (If you have the MASSIVE data pipes to use the thing at all...) I laughed at it as a joke a year ago....couldn't take advantage of it with my caps. For now, I can But for now I have too many good games to play to warrant renting a bunch. In addition to my backlog of like 15 games on Playstation and 5 on Switch, I now have AC: Origins (on both platforms ) , MGSV coming for free this week...For Honor I bought last week. RoTR (it's part of GP but the sale last week on Amazon was cheap enough.)

BTW, I haven't added you yet. Note that my name you'll see isn't my name from here....so if you see unexpected friend requests, that's me. (It's similar to my Switch one, but I don't publish that here either. )

Also, I may keep the broken Elite controller. I noticed if I use "delay" stick curve, and widen the deadzone the drift isn't an issue (yes!), and I got it at such a good price, and it feels SO good in hand. The new one may be announced at E3, but there's things I like about the OG. I love the razer, it's a paper light controlelr with edgy response, and I love the Elite as a premium feeling laid back casual control.

I got a Play & Charge kit. it won't charge in my stock controller (must be a port issue. It runs off the cable fine. It runs off the battery fine. But won't charge the battery. Refurb machine so I can't complain. It works in the Elite, but I may actually like the normal AAs in there for the weight. Play & Charge saves weight (and Elite is too heavy) but it's balanced nicely to pivot on your middle finger, and taking the weight off the top changes the balance forward. The razer has a wire but weighs less than the stock controller. Both are so nice to use.

One thing I love about XBox is for both the Elite and Razer the remappability of buttons in software with profiles and all is so nice! It's PC-like. And there's more controller options. PS has so few, and the Raiju can map buttons in hardware on the fly but doesn't have a profile app in software. If you're into customized controls, (think Forza handbrake as part of your grip...) it does great things.

I also got an external SSHD on order. Mostly to spare some wear & tear/heat from the internal drive since hat's not replaceable (and I'm running the system vertical on the stand.) For the X and it's massive 100GB games, a nice 8TB drive would have been nice, but I just got a 2TB since that's the biggest SSHD, and I've seen some amazing SSD/PC-like load time comparisons. And 1X load times are NOT fun. X1X: Where EVERY game is Lego City Undercover WiiU. PS4 Pro has the same issue but it's internal drive is faster and it's support for external drives is slower.... Tripling my storage and boosting load times seemed better than hextupling my storage and keeping slow loads

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 FWIW, I've noticed (before I got my X1) that MS's Gold sales are usually SLIGHTLY cheaper than PSN sales, but PSN has a lot MORE things on sale. Not always but there's a pattern to it. But yeah the two seem kind of redundant. Recently PSN has had the better freebies with lots of exclusives included. (I'm still waiting for GoW as a freebie )

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia lol good luck with that, hope you enjoy playing GOW in 2020 when the ps5 launches haha 😂 Just get it this winter when it's $30 man it's worth it!! Yeah I'm sure if you lined them both up every week for years you could find one overall having a bit more value but that's really splitting hairs at that point imo.

Finally home and getting it hooked up, updated and sorted. Gonna be racing all night baby!!!

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 You're welcome, no problem at all.
And for what it's worth: not trying to change your opinion on Live or GwG, just sharing my views on them, and fair enough if it doesn't float your boat.

Have a good evening and have fun racing away!

@NEStalgia Agreed on the whole rental thing, which is also why I think that Game Pass is a lesser service, compared to Xbox Live Gold.

Good luck on your back log, by the way, and no worries about not having sent the invite yet: I'm also in the summer mood, so there'll be even less game playing going on in this house. We'll make up for it come autumn...

Good thing that you told me about you having a different name: just out of curiosity, I already looked you up (or so I thought), and it appears that there actually already is a NEStalgia on Xbox Live, but apparently he isn't you, then...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@redd214 haha, yeah, I finally broke down and got Nier: Automata on sale for $30. And then I saw a rumor the other day that it's coming to X1....ugh! Since i got the X1X I'd rather play on the more powerful of the two systems now that I have it ( Plus I really really (really really (really really)) hate the PS controllers. Always have. Always will. I'm still more of a PS fan than XBox fan....but the controllers are such a soothing siren song for XBox....

@ThanosReXXX yeah, I definitely see Game Pass as a rental service.....but that's not a bad thing. I was a huuuge game renter back in the NES/SNES glory days. I've missed that. Tried so many games back then, and found half my favorites that way (and would buy them on their annual Black Friday sidewalk sale when they liquidated their older carts ) So it's kind of a blast from the past. But yeah it's a "lesser" service than Gold, insofar as it kind of expects you ALSO have Gold (after all, you still need gold to play the included games online modes....) So although you can get them both separately it's almost an add-on to Gold. Especially since XBox is so online focused versus Sony and Nintendo.

Awwww, dang, someone stole my name! Nope, that's not me!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal There are several discount schemes for Forza Horizon 3 DLC, some either tied to Game Pass, Expansion Pass or Xbox Live, and others simply tied to buying bundles. And most of the time, around and after E3, Microsoft has the Summer Of Arcade event, during which a selection of DLC might also get a discount, so who knows.

Currently, both the DLC maps can be bought together for $34.99:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/forza-horizon-3-expan...

The various car packs (73 cars in total), can also be bought from within the game.
On this forum, you can find all info about the DLC and its contents, with links to the various packs:
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst64402_Forza-H...

EDIT:
Kind of a dòh moment for myself there: of course all DLC can be bought from within the game. Never mind, it's been a long day for me...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

redd214

@ThanosReXXX no worries man, I appreciate the insight! And thanks for that last post. I've been trying for hours to figure out which version to get the best bang for my bucks. That thread really helps.

@NEStalgia I'm the opposite. Not a fan of the offset analog sticks, much prefer symmetrical. I can deal with it obviously cuz I've played the Switch for over 1000 hours total. I got the original dualshock 1 the day it was released back in '99 with Ape Escape so my hands are so used to it now.

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Don't mention it. Always a pleasure for me to spread the fun amongst more people. And hopefully providing them with a means to a discount while I'm at it...

NEStalgia

@redd214 Oh. You're one of those. I see how it is.

I've always hated the symmetrical. It was kind of a "design by accident." N64 was the first analog thumbstick, and if you hold it with your hand on the middle handle, the stick is in the "offset" position (in terms of hand shape and position). Sony then added analogs into their PSX controller in a post-launch retrofit to compete with Nintendo, but they put them in a location where they didn't force the initial controller layout to change. I.E. they located the stick on the side so the D-Pad could stay where it was meant to be originally to not break the existing layout and control schemes of the controller. Additionally the Dual Analog (pre Dual Shock) had a switch to turn the Analogs off, since it was mostly assumed most games wouldn't use them. I.E. the symmetrical layout is based on the thought that most players aren't using the stick very often on a Playstation in favor of the D-Pad.

Meanwhile Nintendo continued the "offset" stick location on the best controller ever (GameCube), and Sega copied the offset for the DreamCast, which then got inherited by XBox, the spiritual successor of Sega's consoles (Sega partly designed the OG XBox....which is probably why that controller was so ungainly!). So Sony's the only one doing it wrong. (Now as ralizah always tells me, fans of mostly 2D games love the PS controller layout mostly because it lets them use the D-Pad primarily....which is, after all, why it was designed that way to begin with.)

I still stand by: Everyone but Sony has it right. Sony just got stuck with a legacy design that was really meant for how PS1 was meant to be played because then fans didn't want them to change it. The ideal controller would let you swap the stick and the D-Pad between the two spots. Sadly, not even the Elite and Razer Wolverine allows that Maybe the new rumored Elite v2 for E3 will have something like that?

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia yeah I'm one of those people lol. Only analog stick controllers I've ever really like have been Sonys. I personally rank the N64 as one of the worst controllers ever. It's one of the reasons I actually didn't play it much as a kid. Have never even touch a GameCube Controller so can't comment on that one. Probably just comes down to muscle memory and personal comfort though. For me (outside of battery life) the DS4 is the best controller I've ever used and I've had about a dozen different home consoles since the NES. Great we have options nowadays😊

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 Technically nobody liked the N64 controller GCN controller was a beauty though. I never had a GameCube but picked up a Wavebird (wireless GCN controller) with my Wii. Then of course got the GCN controller for WiiU It made so much sense in design with a "main" button and surrounding "other" buttons. The 8-way stick gates were a little weird though. (Wii Classic had that too.)

But yeah, it's certainly personal comfort. Not so much muscle memory. I can and have used both for countless hours over years...but....there's just so much more comfort in the controls being at the top rather than the bottom. Oddly, that's the very reason the DS is the way it is, though. Sony knew that, and since the D-pad was still the primary input, that's the one they put at the top! I doubt they expected they'd pick up a fan base of people that don't like the primary control up there!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Completely agreed. But then again, what do I know?
Once upon a time, I firmly believed that the Suzo Arcade Stick was the best controller ever:
Untitled
At most, they came with two buttons:
Untitled

And then came the joypads with their analog sticks, each new one more advanced than the other. I was actually glad that the Dreamcast controller had only one analog stick, seeing as even after all these years of having used the GameCube controller (and YES I bought my Dreamcast many years after its initial release, in case you're wondering), I sometimes still couldn't get the two halves of my brain work together well enough to coordinate the movement of my two thumbs so that they more or less worked in unison, resulting in my on screen character or vehicle sometimes wildly flailing around, especially in those high tension moments, much to the enjoyment of my "so-called" friends...

Truth be told, it was probably payback for me beating the crap out of them all the time with Goldeneye on N64. One analog stick I could handle just fine...

Topics like these though.... Psychologists would probably have a field day with it. I used to know a couple, and as it so happens, I do know that in general, so not just specific to gaming, there are two kinds of patterns that are recognizable where it concerns perfection/symmetry:

One half of the people strives for symmetry, which permeates everything they do, and the other half doesn't, and they go with a more natural flow of things because that is literally ingrained in our nature. I say natural, because symmetry, for the most part, isn't natural. It can always be a taste or preference, but it is not natural. Almost nothing in nature, including humans, is symmetric. That is why some people see this as a beauty ideal, to be perfect, symmetric, equal, whatever...

But there's a nifty little trick that you can do, that shows you that symmetry isn't natural. Perhaps you know of it: mirror the half of your face, and put the two halves together. It'll be the closest thing to a real life alien you'll ever see...

But yeah, muscle memory could be a factor, although personally, I'm not such a strong believer in that specific point, since I have so many different controllers, and I can use all of them perfectly fine.

I do think that personal preference, and more importantly: the period of consistent usage (such as always having stuck with one type of console, and as such one type (more or less) of controller, in the case of Sony) is something that could influence that.

And as such, what is the perfect controller to one, is an absolute monstrosity to another. From both of the individual's viewpoint completely unthinkable, and yet here we are...

In the end, it hardly matters. It's nice that we have choices, since obviously, we aren't all the same, nor do we all think alike. Would be a completely boring world as well, if you ask me. In general, we could do "a little" better overall, especially looking at all the useless conflicts all around the globe, but something like a worldwide collective opinion and view sounds like an absolute horror to me...

On a side note: I also think in general, that (especially online) it is about wording. A lot of people either forego or simply ignore adding "I think", "I believe" or "in my opinion" to their statements, making it look like they're stating a fact instead of their own view, and if you're not mindful of that, it can cause needless arguments, such as most of us here have seen plenty of times in more than one article on this very site.

Anyway, back on topic: I've delved into AC Syndicate a bit this past weekend, and I've actually enjoyed it. Didn't expect too much, considering the mixed reviews it got and the stuff I've heard from other people. And also keeping in mind that only now, with the latest installment, the series has finally returned to form, whatever that means...

P.S.

Now that I know that the Xbox Live NEStalgia I found is not the "real" one, I'm kinda curious as to what other label(s) you use. I just stuck with the same one for all consoles, as I already more or less did way back in the arcades...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

Does anyone know how to set the x1 to NOT auto download games when you buy (or free redeem) then? It's driving me crazy as i grab some sale items and gwg games either on the console or online that it starts downloading and all i can do is clear the queue. I grabbed the the Inquisition mass effect Andromeda bundle and the shadow of Mordor deal... i already own them on ps but In physical format. Andromeda technically would look better on the ps pro since there's a pro patch and no x patch, but.... The controller.....

Anyway it tried to dl it all and then will try mgs5 tomorrow.... Frustrating. I just want them available, not installed! Like my ps...grr.

Also any way to have the machine not turn on every time i charge a play connect controller?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia In case you're wondering: I removed my previous answer, since it was only valid for the old Xbox One. I myself have got no problems with games auto-downloading, so I don't know how to specifically enable or disable that, and all I could find is the following:

Go to settings, then system, and then to updates. There's two options there that you can turn off, but I have them both checked and I still don't have auto downloads, so I really don't know what's up with that.

Perhaps you could try unchecking (if they aren't already) the three options on the right on that same page.

As for the controller connect thing: might be under settings, power & startup, Power mode & startup. There is a setting there in the middle row for the power mode, which can be either instant-on or Energy-saving. You could try the latter and see if that makes a difference.

If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

EDIT:
I think the power mode option could be it. Here's the info from the official Xbox website:
https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/console/learn-about-p...

Oh, and another thing: you might also want to turn off the downloading of 4K updates & assets, seeing as you haven't got a 4K TV anyways. It will save you quite a bit of hardware space per game...

Here's another link discussing power mode:
http://www.itprotoday.com/management-mobility/what-xbox-turn-...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

redd214

So stayed up until about 2 playing Forza Horizon. What a fantastic game!! As a car geek and a huge racing game fan it's damn near perfect. Looking forward to playing more.

@ThanosReXXX question. I know with the Xbox anywhere program I have a pc copy now as well, does the dlc packs count for that too? Basically if I buy the dlc on the xb1 will I have to repurchase if I play on pc?

Thanks.

redd214

DarkRula

Well, at least you played the third game which is one of the best instead of the second... Which still holds up well but has a terrible progression system attached to it for the races, along with the races themselves.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

redd214

@DarthNocturnal thank you, I appreciate the answer! I'm seriously considering buying (not building) a mid tier pc that could run it. We will need a new computer anyways here soon and by off setting the costs by selling the Xbox wouldn't be much more than I would spend anyways. Plus I would get to to use my ps4 wheel!! I'm so far down the rabbit hole now, my wife doesn't know what she's done lol 😂

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 That seem to be the case, yes (not re-buying, but being able to share, obviously). Couldn't tell you from experience, since my PC isn't anywhere near capable of running current gen games, but this is what I found on the original Xbox site, and it also mentions Forza Horizon 3 in the game list, a little lower on the page.

It says:

Progress goes with you

Pick up where you left off on another Xbox One or Windows 10 PC, bringing all your saves, game add-ons, and achievements with you.

Link:
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

P.S.

Glad you're enjoying the game. There's a heck of a lot more to discover, though, so prepare to sink quite a few more hours into it. I personally LOVE to find all those secret races with which you can win additional cars, and I also like the special races, such as against the train. And the whole off-road thing is also a nice bonus. Almost open world...

I do hope I didn't give away any big spoilers...

By the way, have you already opened three festivals? That's what's needed to unlock the Hot Wheels expansion, or the Blizzard Mountain expansion, so for both of them, you'd need six festivals in total, otherwise you can only race to the location on the map, but the expansion won't be accessible yet.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic