Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,081 to 3,100 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, if by the cheap one you mean the original, black Xbox One: that almost doesn't exist anymore, so that equation goes out the door. The One S is now the standard model, and then there's the X for all the thoroughbreds out there.

And weirdly enough, almost in an alternative universe kinda way, the PS4's entire line has one inexplicable, glaring omission compared to both models of the Xbox One, and that is that it doesn't have the superior media drive, which for all intents and purposes should have been incorporated in the PS4, NOT in the Xbox One.

And the fact that the Pro is cheaper is simply because it's considerably less powerful, so you get what you pay for: the obvious lesser of the two premium flagships of these respective brands.

And I know all about the wanting it vs having no actual use for it. I've bought two new consoles in two consecutive years, while I actually find myself having less and less time to spend on them...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

mowerdude

Is Blinx The Time Sweeper worth picking up on Xbox one backwards compatible, never got around to playing it back when it first released on the original Xbox?

mowerdude

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal That game is an absolute must-have, if you ask me, and it indeed gets a lot of praise from many media sources as well, and rightfully so. Only steer clear if you really dislike on-rails shooters, otherwise, I'd say give it a go and you probably won't be disappointed.

I still own and love it, so for me it's a no-brainer.

And now that we're talking about recommendations, from the first wave, I could easily also recommend Black, Crimson Skies, Ninja Gaiden Black, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and if you're a Star Wars fan Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

From the upcoming second wave, I can easily recommend Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Breakdown, Conker: Live & Reloaded, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Hunter: The Reckoning, Jade Empire, Panzer Dragoon Orta, SSX 3, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, and again all the Star Wars games, if you're into that (they're going to support backward compatibility for Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars Battlefront II, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II, and Star Wars Republic Commando).

And all these games are going to be looking, and running considerably better than on the original hardware. Microsoft had this to say about it:

"These Original Xbox games will feature enhanced visuals in their backward-compatible guise, and will display at up to 4X the pixel count on Xbox One and Xbox One S, and up to 16X the pixel count on Xbox One X."

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@mowerdude If you don't mind a game with some growing pains, and one that is quite the challenge at certain points, then you might like it. And the graphics and music are great, especially for that time, and the time manipulation mechanic used in the game is also quite unique for a platformer. But ultimately, it's your own choice, obviously.

The second one was a bit better, because it addressed some of the issues of the first game, but I found both of them to be good games.

Here's a video review:

@DarthNocturnal And here's a Panzer Dragoon Orta review for you. Might help you decide...

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal You're welcome.

As for Destroy All Humans: not my cup of tea. I tried out the reboot/remaster on the Wii a couple of years back, and although mildly entertaining, I found most of it a bit too... well, juvenile for my taste. Maybe it's my age, seeing as I'm soon to be 48, or maybe it's simply not my kind of game. And that is also why I haven't mentioned it in my list of recommendations.

Concerning the digitally bought and possibly re-downloadable games: that could come, but so far, all I've personally seen available for download on my own Xbox One S is the Games with Gold titles, and those are only Xbox 360 titles, so I'm not holding out for digitally purchased OG Xbox titles to become available for free download or even for a discount. But if it does happen, then I would personally like to request Stubbs the Zombie. That's the only OG Xbox game I ever purchased digitally on my Xbox 360...

SharkAttackU

Panzer Dragoon Orta is the finest rail shooter ever made. I love the Star Fox franchise, but Orta blows Star Fox out of the water, er, uhm... sky.

Seriously. Orta is amazing.

SharkAttackU

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Ah, okay. I thought it was simply a port of the Xbox original with some minor graphical polish. And I did recognize the satire in the Wii game as well, which is why I said I found it mildly entertaining in some part. The voice acting was also good, but the whole fart jokes/fart gun and belching got real boring real fast at a certain point.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Nah, the "cheap one" is the S. Not sure what pricing is like now, but back when we were first talking, S was actually cheaper than OG units floating around.

Yeah, I agree with the glaring omission of the disc drive and now the roles should have been reversed. I can't explain that one, at all! Though Sony got lucky because at least here people almost see discs as quaint and retro and everything is streaming streaming streaming......and maybe that was Sony's point, to force people onto their digital media platforms? That's all I've got....

Yeah, Pro is cheaper because it's less powerful, as well as because it's older. But that price difference still speaks to a lot of people. More games available, lower price, versus less games available, better visuals, more money....... X1X absolutely is more niche for the crowd that really wants a gaming PC without bothering with a gaming PC, but equally willing to give up the typical perks of console (first and second party games.) Making that the pricier option isn't doing it any favors. The S is in fact the better budget console though (worse performance than base PS4, but also cheaper.....) So Sony keeps the middle while MS chips at the high end and low ends. For now, middle seems to be the big money though.

As for Sea of Thieves, even if it's not all that great, it's still the first significant exclusive in a long time, and definitely raised awareness or attention on the X1. Something that doesn't happen often.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Where did you read that the One S has worse performance than the base PS4? Because that isn't true. And currently, we have the PS4 Slim, and in a direct comparison, the Xbox One S wins on several fronts:
https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/xbox-one-s-vs-ps4-slim-...

The PS4's GPU is slightly stronger (0.3 Tflops to be exact), but that is negligible in the larger picture, because the Xbox One has faster and more RAM.

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Well, congrats, then. This actually got me hoping (probably against all hope considering it's popularity/rarity) that they actually will put Stubbs the Zombie in any of the upcoming waves. Would be nice...

Dezzy

So how exactly is MGS Peace Walker backwards compatible. It says it is on the main site but I thought the only version that was available in the west was part of the MGS collection. Which the backwards compatability list doesn't actually mention. I'm confused.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

mowerdude

@Dezzy The MGS Collection for xbox 360 had 2 Disc first disc had MGS 2 and MGS 3, and the Second Disc had only MGS Peace Walker on it, plus they sold it separately on the Xbox Live Store. That is why only MGS Peace Walker is backwards compatible. Hopefully they will soon release the MGS 2 and MGS 3 as backwards compatible that would be great.

Edited on by mowerdude

mowerdude

Dezzy

@mowerdude

Cool, thanks. That's awesome. I'm not fussed about 2 and 3 as I have them on Vita. But the PSP version of Peace Walker is just annoying to play.

Dezzy

This youtuber claims to have seen leaks suggesting Xbox will announce a new Perfect Dark and Fable 4 at this E3:

Fable 4 would be a good move. Xbox needs more variety in its exclusives.

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy Interesting lineup, if he's guessed it all correctly. Some of these games are obviously already expected, so I think it's safe to say that he's at least partially right.

@NEStalgia Check out that video above here and listen very carefully to everything being said starting from 8m55s...

Dezzy

Why don't Microsoft release Minecraft 2 and make it an Xbox exclusive? That'd sure sell some consoles.

redd214

@Dezzy that would be a dumb move imo. Sure it would move some xboxes but they would lose out on literally of millions of sales also. I mean I've bought Minecraft 3 times already, not once on a Microsoft system. If they did release an Xbox exclusive Minecraft 2 it wouldn't motivate me to get an Xbox, I would just have my kids play something else lol. I highly doubt that would move enough to justify the lost sales from PC, ps4, Switch, mobile etc.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Dezzy

@redd214

Depends how much profit they make on consoles compared to software really I guess.
You could say something similar about Mario Kart. That would sell tens of millions if it was on every platform.

redd214

@Dezzy yeah of course you could say the same thing about Mario Kart, God of War, halo that's not the point. The fact of the matter is one of the main reasons Minecraft is the 2nd best selling game in history is because it's literally on everything. The precedent is already there vs something like MK and they would be losing out on millions of dollars that I highly doubt the would recoup on hardware sales. I mean just from me from buying it multiple times plus expansions, skin packs, buying story mode they've gotten well over $150. Had it been exclusive they would have not gotten that from me. I know I'm just one guy and not that important but in the grand scheme I think there are many like that.

Ah well, we will never know but I just think it would be unwise.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

redd214

@DarthNocturnal I remember people at Mojang saying something similar when MS bought them. When asked about a Minecraft 2 they said it made more sense just to update and iterate on what they had vs just making a sequel.

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic