-The controller
-XBL
-BC
-Halo 5, Gears 4, Super Lucky's Tale, etc

Cons:
-Price, especially with things like Gold, external HDD
-Future MS first party looks unimpressive
-Proper support in question due to likely weak sales post-holiday
-Will likely have to give up my PS4 as I probably can't afford to have and support both

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

SharkAttackU

You guys know you can uninstall a game and keep your saves, thus eliminating the need for an external HDD, right? Just reinstall a game if you want to replay it. You have nothing to worry about, especially if you buy physical discs.

SharkAttackU

Grumblevolcano

@SharkAttackU Time is the important factor, reinstalling games can take several hours especially if digital.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Well, that just answered my question about if XBox patches are as obscenely huge as Playstation patches these days...

How does only Nintendo get this right?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Lower res textures and such make switch games smaller overall, as well as no 7.1ch audio....HOWEVER....all of that stuff SHOULD be in the disc to begin with. The main difference is Nintendo actually releases the game complete and patches are about fixing broken things rather than delivering the rest of the game. But, considering all of Arms is 2.2 GB and all of MK8D is 4.5 that compression is still amazing. The full GAME is smaller than the patches from most companies.

30-40GB for a PATCH is just gross. That should never ever ever have been acceptable. What is in there that was not on the disc? Code fixes are like 4-9mb. They're patching whole textures? Or are they just being sloppy and replacing entire directories/archive files when only one small change was made rather than just applying the delta? It's frustrating and infurating how the company that "doesn't understand online" seems to be doing it better than...well...ok, Sony's believable they have no idea what they're doing with OSes...never have.. But Microsoft?!

One of the big problems though is when they keep rolling DLC packs into mandatory patches instead of making them separate downloads. So to get the 2mb fix that makes the game not crash at the end of chapter 1 (Looking at you, Just Cause 3 on PS4.) you need to download 8GB of DLC you have no intention of buying. Uncharted 4, I never patched it at all. If it had a critical failure I'd have just tossed the game. I'm not downloading 24GB of stuff meant for extra maps for online DLC for a game I just want to play the campaign on. Sad to see XBox has the same issue. I'd have loved to have seen separate patches from them. That alone would have converted me.

Maybe the best way to go about it is buy everything, day 1, and install/patch it so it works, before they push out the DLCs. Ugh!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Hmmm, yeah the games with missing info from the disc....still bad..but that's a bit more normal sounding. Ohhhhh 30-40GB AFTER patches.....that's a bit different.

Yeah, I mean weapons and things that are needed for online makes sense to have to patch in from the DLC. But weapon unlocks don't take 30GB Whole maps and campaigns take 30GB. But I often still wonder what's in those maps that takes as much space as the whole game? In most cases I think they're just pushing out the ENTIRE texture archive file instead of just difference it.

I think that's where I'm interested in how XBox does things. I.E. is that idiocy just a Sony thing or is it "industry standard." If it's just a Sony thing I'd jump ship in a heartbeat I'd love to compare patch sizes of a current AAA set of games. Or especially ones with bloated patches, like Assassin's Creed Unity.....wonder where I could find the XBone patch size for that? It could be just how publishers lazily do it, but IMO, Sony couldn't make a sensible OS if their lives depended on it, while XBone is just Win10 that knows how to deliver updates intrusively...but do they actually do that with games ?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Respawns way sounds like the way that seemed like the obvious way from the start! Amazing so many companies just don't understand the right way to do it. And the amazing thing is you can say "bandwidth is cheap" but given how much they're distributing, they could be saving a bundle on their own bandwidth costs for distribution if they chopped down the sizes. If you're adding 10+ gb into the game for something that's not a map and/or story expansion....something's really wrong with the distribution method.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

1.3GB Halo 5 update inbound!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SharkAttackU

@Grumblevolcano True, but if you value money more than time, a little forethought (and a decent internet connection) can eliminate the need for additional storage. Buying the 1TB model would help as well.

SharkAttackU

SharkAttackU

@DarthNocturnal

Nintendo aren't wizards. Their games are just smaller and less demanding. The textures in Nintendo games are lower res. Zelda is a great game, but an example of lower end texture work. Nintendo doesn't have bloated, out-of-control content on the multiplayer side like Halo 5 and Gear 4 do.

Good planning, art direction and game design can lighten the load. Nintendo is great at that. I would guess the the best practices Nintendo learned from the handheld space carried over to console some time ago.

SharkAttackU

SharkAttackU

NEStalgia wrote:

The main difference is Nintendo actually releases the game complete and patches are about fixing broken things rather than delivering the rest of the game

Splatoon says hi.

SharkAttackU

Grumblevolcano

Hmm, I didn't actually notice this until today but watching the Xbox E3 conference live on the 11th got me some free stuff.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Jerome and the Halo Wars 1 Arbiter are out now for Halo Wars 2.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Halo 5 is getting a Xbox One X update at launch, the 360 Halo games are coming backwards compatibility later this year (all 360 Halo DLC will be free to everyone) and the final Halo Wars 2 season pass content has been announced.

July: Serina (the Halo Wars 1 AI), Operation Spearbreaker (the 2 campaign missions)
August: Yapyap the Destroyer

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-summer-celebration

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

CanisWolfred

Noticed last week that both Virtual-On: Ontario Tangram & Radiant Silvergun are both backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Add in Wolf of the Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (which I'm less enthusiastic to go back to, but whatever, I still own them, and don't consider them to be bad games), and another large chunk of games are now safe. God, it's like I'm watching Survivor or something, I'm so worried that one of my favorites won't make it, but there's nothing I can do except hope...

So, current list of nail-biters:

• Tales of Vesperia
  • Battlefield: Bad Company (they got Bad Co. 2, though)
  • Raiden Fighters Aces
  • Akai Katana
  • Burnout: Revenge
  • Culdcept Saga
  • Prey (2006)
  • A bunch of Xbox Originals games

...getting there...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Seems like forever, they want that whichever way you play Halo, there's a stable community.

Grumblevolcano

rallydefault

Just upgraded my TV to a 4k! Woo!

I think I want to get the One S to go with it. The power source on my original Xbox One failed, so I'm viewing that as a sign to just upgrade (I don't want to blow the money on the X, honestly).

You guys think it's worth waiting a few months until the X launches for the price to go down? Or can I get a pretty good deal now? It seems like it hovers around $250, and so far I've only seen it in bundles or refurbished on its own.

rallydefault

gcunit

@rallydefault Personally, I think the X is a risk for Xbox's credibility. High price with not a lot to justify it, at a time when the PS4 is way out in front - I just can't see it taking off. People would rather wait for PS5 I reckon.

To then drop the price because it's not selling would just compound the failure.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

WebHead

I still think Xbox One X looks great but I can't disagree with gcunit. It's a very tough sell, so you have to wonder how many devs outside of first that will actually utilize the power to its fullest. I feel like MS overpromised.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic