Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 2,741 to 2,760 of 11,903

Ryu_Niiyama

Is MS really pushing anything first party this gen? I know I feel like the past six months have been really empty with exclusive games.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Peek-a-boo

@Ryu_Niiyama You would be better off asking that question until their E3 conference has come and gone.

I share your concerns too, but I am more than happy to let them prove me wrong!

Peek-a-boo

Ryu_Niiyama

@Peek-a-boo Fair enough. I don't know which box my xbone is in anyway. I'll wait until E3 to pass judgement. I'm still looking forward to crackdown.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Grumblevolcano

The final Halo Wars 2 leader before the story DLC (assuming the story DLC launches in June) is Sgt. Johnson.

Voice actor is different and playstyle looks interesting.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

@DarthNocturnal I think the Xbox Game Pass is an absolutely brilliant idea, and I can see it catching on in the way that PS Now didn't however, it begs the question - how on earth are they making money off this?

If I wanted to play the likes of D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Halo 5 and Sunset Overdrive, which are the only three exclusive Xbox One games on the entire list that you cannot play elsewhere, for £7.99 for one month, then I unsubscribe afterwards... what does Microsoft get out of my £7.99 that has surely got to be somehow shared between all 112 games that are currently on the UK list?

I can see the appeal, but not the business sense.

Instead of somebody paying say, £30 for Halo 5, £20 for Sunset Overdrive and £10 for D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, for example, that person spends £7.99 to complete all three games - and perhaps some other ones along the way - then cease paying after their first month.

£7.99 gained; £60 lost.

Also, given that this service is chasing after the Netflix-style crowd, it isn't going to be anywhere near as appealing as being able to sit down, put your feet up and press 'play' to begin watching your film.

In the case of Xbox Game Pass, it would be like this:

Arrive home from work in the evening, choose to play Halo 5, press 'download', read the entirety of War and Peace, go to bed, wake up, have breakfast, check the download bar (23% . . . . ), go to work, workout at the gym afterwards, go home, make dinner, check the download bar (45% . . . . ), watch a film, go to bed, wake up, make a smoothie, check the download bar (67% . . . . ), go to work, meet up with a friend for a drink afterwards, go home, rustle up some grub, check the download bar (89% . . . . ), listen to a new album, go to bed, wake up, brew some coffee, check the download bar (100%) before realising that you are now off to work before you can come home again to begin playing the game.

A bit of an exaggeration, I know! A game like Halo 5 and its 100+GB data though, is not going to be something that you can sit down and play straight away, and the same can be said for the majority of the big games.

Last but not least, only 37 out of 112 games are Xbox One games. This means that a shy over two-thirds of the content available on the Xbox Game Pass at present are Xbox 360 games.

It shall be interesting to if this is a viable business model going forward for Microsoft, but it's a good start!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

@DarthNocturnal I like that PS Now is a streaming service, because you can literally jump right into the game with minimal waiting, pending a relatively decent internet connection.

Games like God of War 3, Journey, The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid IV, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time and the Uncharted series are pretty good when you stream them, whereas something that is fast paced and requires precision input like Bayonetta, Killzone 2, Demon's Souls and Street Fighter IV offers an uneven and occasionally disappointing experience.

I think Xbox Game Pass could do well to offer the option of download and streaming, just like you said!

I can be quite firm when it comes to Microsoft, especially after enjoying the first four years of the Xbox 360 before Kinect became their main focus, but it is good to see them trying new things. I just hope they are not pursuing these avenues in the expense of creating new IPs and diversifying their portfolio though...

And yeah, I have absolutely no idea why both Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 are 100+GB these days, especially when the likes of two of the mostly visually impressive open world games of this generation, The Witcher III and Horizon Zero Dawn, are only 35GB and 39GB respectively. Weird, hey?

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Halo 5 is so big because of the updates, There was one every month from October 2015 to June 2016 and then there were some more updates afterwards including a big one in September and December. Given Halo 6 isn't happening this year (probably going to be a holiday 2018 game), I wouldn't be surprised if there's some more updates later this year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

Microsoft take on Twitch is now called:

Untitled

Mixer.

What was wrong with the original name, Beam?

And why call a new video game related streaming network 'Mixer' when you and everybody else are more likely to associate that word with either a dance move, the kitchen appliance or that electronic musical device?

They sure know how to come up with daft names. Probably use a random word generator machine of sorts!

p.s. Here's the Mixer website: - https://mixer.com

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

bluemage1989

Anyone can help with me with Watch Dogs 2?? Looks to be a fairly decent game but before I buy can anyone tell me about the social justice/hacktivist/liberal aspect of the game. I find that kind of thing preachy and annoying and would rather not play through forty hours of it. Deus Ex is a recent example of that culture being handled well wouldn't mind if they did something similar buy yeah opinions before i buy??

bluemage1989

Grumblevolcano

I think there may be something Killer Instinct related at E3 (Season 4 maybe?), Eagle has been teased who will be released in June but that's all the "?" characters filled in with the season 3 build.

Grumblevolcano

Peek-a-boo

The guy in the know, Jez Corden, has written an article on Windows Central basically saying to not expect future exclusives to be announced at this E3, and that the focus will be on the already revealed games and how Scorpio is best system for 3rd party games.

This sucks... is it too much to ask for a few genuinely new surprises?

Peek-a-boo

gcunit

Is the Scorpio going to have Steam integration? 'Cos right now that's about the only thing I can think of as being Microsoft's plan for making it work, given the apparent drought of must-have exclusives for the Xbox family.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Peek-a-boo

@gcunit By allowing Steam on the Scorpio, Steam would take 70% of profits, whereas Microsoft would only claim the remaining 30% on a system that is theirs and theirs alone, even their own first party games! The likelihood of breaking even let alone making a profit with their own games is very, very low.

The chances of this happening is between 0.0001% to 0.000000001%

Here's a suitable gif for this:

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

gcunit

@Peek-a-boo

That's an interesting situation - how did you come to know about that split?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Peek-a-boo

@DarthNocturnal Steam on Scorpio (that will never happen) = 70% for Steam, 30% for Microsoft.

Microsoft games on Steam (like Quantum Break and ReCore) = 70% for Microsoft, 30% for Steam.

It's the same for Apple and Google: - Apple gets 30%, while the developers collects their 70% share. Google gets 20% (which used to be 70% eighteen months ago) and the developers now receive 80% of their cut.

The publisher and/or the company running the online store always gets the biggest cut, whichever platform you put your games on. This is why both Blizzard and EA now have their own stores; Battle.net and Origin respectively, so that they can collect every single bit of their share!

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

There's another Halo 5 update, just bug fixes but is 1.34GB. Total size now is 97.9GB.

Grumblevolcano

FGPackers

Grumblevolcano wrote:

There's another Halo 5 update, just bug fixes but is 1.34GB. Total size now is 97.9GB.

And people still complain if Switch has 32gb? Lol

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

MsJubilee

Grumblevolcano wrote:

That's nothing Gears 4 is 116 GB.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Peek-a-boo

Just one more week to go!

Here's a rather handy chart that shows the past four Microsoft E3 conferences; this may give you some kind of hint as to what we should expect this time next Sunday:

Untitled

2013 was an amazing show for them in terms of software - there was plenty of variety, risks and household names all in a single ninety-minutes-long event. I almost bought an Xbox One off the back of that showing too.

2014 was fairly reasonable, 2015 was pretty ho-hum whereas last year was entirely forgettable.

They really need to be able to kickstart a positive narrative going into this years conference, and the fact that they have a 24 hour window all to themselves (in terms of being in the news) is equally as important.

It sounds like a cliché, but it really is a case of 'now or never' for Microsoft

After the recent - and very successful - release of the Switch and the PlayStation 4 having nearly two thirds of the global market all to itself, as well as being able to churn out worthwhile games more frequently too, the Xbox platform arguably has the toughest job (out of the three) at E3 this year.

Let's hope they put on a good show!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

I think they'll bring back Crackdown 3 with a release window. But I expect a lot of time will be spent on the Xbox One Elite (yes, mark this comment, it will be called the One Elite).

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic