Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 11,914

Grumblevolcano

@Peek-a-boo: The big question becomes "How many Wii U owners used the Wii Backwards Compatibility?" and hence will Nintendo give it up in favour of Wii U remasters for NX.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SCRAPPER392

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@SCAR: I see what you mean; adding the PS3 architecture (for the emulator) inside a PS4, am I right?

If so, the PlayStation 4 would be selling at a considerable lost (for every unit sold) if they did indeed add the CELL chip inside. Sony were already in big trouble financially at the time - they wanted to sell every system at a profit from day one, and they did.

To be fair, Sony once reported back in the early days of the PlayStation 3 - when their first model was fully backwards compatible with PSone and PS2 games - that, much to my surprise, less than 1% of the users (whom were connected online) used the backwards compatibility.

I think we can both agree that as nice as the feature is, a very low percentage of real world users actually make use of it.

No. Sony CAN program the PS4 to run all past PS systems. They just won't. Even the PS3 could have ran PS2 games without the PS2 hardware, but Sony apparently doesn't want to put in the effort for BC, or is unable to get it on there(lack of programmers, no programmers for BC, whatever reason they may have).

There's no reason to believe the "We can't get get BC running on PS3/PS4 w/o the original hardware" BS. They lied to you. They can program it to run through the OS, period; like Microsoft is doing for Xbox One with Xbox 360 games.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Gamer83

Untitled

Played about 8 hours now and it's awesome. I'd say a Game of the Year contender.

Gamer83

Peek-a-boo

@SCAR: I think you and see differently on the emulation situation so, we'll just agree (to disagree) on our respective views.

It is, however, easier for the Xbox One to emulate their games as the Xbox 360 and Xbox One both share a Power PC set up, whereas the architecture - and the general hardware itself - within the PlayStation 3 is enormously different to the comparative simplicity of the PlayStation 4. This isn't an opinion, you know?

Still, Microsoft have the far, far better software guys for this kind of thing, which is rather beneficial on their behalf.

@Gamer83: My friend got the Xbox 360 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, as he doesn't want an Xbox One for just one or two games, and he says it is just as good as the Tomb Raider reboot that came out a couple of years ago.

Such a shame that Microsoft and/or Square Enix sent it out to die, especially on the SAME DAY as Fallout 4!

Peek-a-boo

Aviator

Yeah Tomb Raider is brilliant, takes everything from the last game and just steps it up to the next level.

I would put it as GOTY if this wasn't the year of MGSV.

ALSO THE MO-CAP. THE HAIR. THE BEAUTY OF IT ALL!!

I'm in love.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Grumblevolcano

I'm saving Rise of the Tomb Raider for my Christmas list, wanted to be fully prepared for what craziness Nintendo throws at us in a Direct. I expect I'll be spending at least £40 of my £58.21 eshop credit balance directly after the presentation as Smash DLC is expensive.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SCRAPPER392

@Peek-a-boo
First of all, Xbox One is x86, and Xbox 360 is PowerPC. I'm almost sure that you're trolling me.
The only reason to believe that PS4 can't run the past PS games, is if you don't know it can, don't want it to, or both. All I know is that PS Now is literally useless, because it can never substitute BC, and it might as well be included with PS+, but Sony totally jacked their s*** up, money wise and probably programming wise, so they can't even get it on there(again, for wherever reason). PS Now was some attempt to make up for it or something, but it costs money to rent games you might already own, and basically is a sign BC won't show up. That is how it is useless. It doesn't make sense why you think PS4 might get PS and PS2 BC, but not PS3. So ya, You must be trolling. Just sit back and wait for God of War 4, but your God of War Collection and God of War 3 won't run on it.

I'm honestly not caring about the older consoles anymore, which is why I was fine with buying digital/Virtual Console on the new ones. I would still say BC ultimately doesn't matter to the point that i would choose against buying the new console(I bought the Xbox One w/o any of this programming), but it being absent will never be anything besides them choosing to not program it. It's also the same reason why I didn't care about transfering my games to the Wii U from Wii, because it's the new console period, and all of them do whatever different, which why I would have bought PS4 if I was more interested in it than Xbox One and Wii U.

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but I think the Project Spark DLC is free now, if anyone cares.

Qwest

Peek-a-boo

@SCAR: I keep telling you that the PS3 architecture is enormously difficult to emulate and yet you continue to ignore this, as if you are saying, 'pah, it is easy-peasy, but Sony LIED TO YOU, cannot be bothered to, forcing PS Now on you, etc. etc.'.

The PlayStation 3 uses the CELL architecture. That's a system for getting a bunch of different processors to work together. On most other devices you have a single powerful processor, or perhaps a powerful central processor and then another processor specifically designed for graphics. On a CELL machine, you have many smaller processors (on the PS3 it's six) that are each dedicated to specific tasks.

In theory all those extra processors let you do more processing, but only if you can keep them all busy. It takes development time to get the most out of the machine. Worse, this work must be done on the back end. If you're porting to a machine with less memory you can just scale all the textures down and render everything at a lower resolution. But if you're porting to or from a CELL system, the coding team has to crawl down into the guts of the game engine and make all sorts of really fundamental changes to how the system works.

The point is, it's difficult and expensive to port to and from CELL-based machines.

I don't work for any hardware company however, I can very clearly see that the Xbox 360 and Xbox One have a much easier time of it when it comes to emulation, especially with their software wizards at Microsoft. The folks at Sony not only have a huge hardware burden to content themselves with, but the lack of software engineers to do so. And it is very costly business too.

In other words, yes, Sony could do it, but is it worth the time, effort and money to invest into it? Not really, no, especially when you consider that less than 1% of PS3 owners played PS2 games (on the original model), and the very same statistic can be applied to the Wii U and its backward compatibility with the Wii.

I am in no way 'trolling' you; I actually feel the same way about backward compatibility as you, in that I do not care much for it bar the odd game or two.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

SCRAPPER392

@Peek-a-boo
Ya. There's nothing else to be said. That's why I regret buying games digitally on PS3, but not Nintendo and Xbox(as much).
The whole entire reason Sony went with CELL and a more graphic intensive console than Xbox One, is because they are crazy and apparently people bought it. That's how I don't even mind if Xbox One has less hardware than a regular PC, which is probably part of the reason they can run BC, anyway, because Sony probably has random numbers to get the graphics higher, while sacrificing things like BC and then pushing things like PS Now and getting surround sound on YouTube and 4K on Netlix and such. That is the only way they are making up for it over Wii U and Xbox One, IMO, besides the graphics, but the other consoles can do that stuff, too. No one paid for it, is all.

That's why we don't have 3D support on Netflix for 3DS. It's all mixed around like that, and it will probably take another year or 2 before that stuff is standard, unlike Sony machines which obviously paid for it ahead of time.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Gamer83

@Peek-a-boo:
Yeah, I'm really hoping SquareEnix taking MS' money didn't hurt the franchise in the long run. I can't help but think it might have though. The game itself is awesome but the fact that more people are still talking about behind the scene business dealings is an issue. And SE didn't do anything to take the sting out of the situation with idiotic statements about MS' 'passion' for the franchise and how the deal was made to 'grow the fanbase.' We get it, MS offered a sh*tload of money and you corporate toolbags took it, selling out your largest fanbase which is on PlayStation. That's fine, but don't insult our intelligence. People wonder why I can't stand people in corporate. Moronic statements like the ones coming from the suits at SE after this deal was made are exactly why I can't stand these people. They think we're all freaking morons. Just because a few fanboys may buy their bs doesn't mean we're all idiots.

Gamer83

Aviator

Look, if Microsoft did pay money to help in the development of the game, I don't mind.

But if it was solely for exclusivity then yes it was a douche move.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Gamer83

@Aviator:
MGS V is great but the latter part of it and the disappointing conclusion really let it down. It's a top 5 game for this year but honestly I'd have to put Rise of the Tomb Raider ahead of it. Granted I haven't finished TR yet but assuming things don't go horribly wrong in the second half, this is probably my no. 1 for the year.

Also, as far as the business dealings. I don't care that MS made the deal, it's trying to sell consoles. It was the dumb stuff Square said afterwards that annoyed me.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

SCRAPPER392

Meh. I didn't even care about the reboot. I don't like how they made it look like walking on the beach is a struggle. Starting fires and tying fishermans knots is not what I expected from the Lara Croft that goes guns blazing against wild bears and such. They might as well say the ones on PS never happened.

Qwest

Grumblevolcano

@SCAR: Isn't that the point of reboots though, to start fresh as if the previous games never happened? Like how Star Fox Zero is erasing the whole situation with Krystal, Sauria, the events of Assault and Command by retelling Star Fox 64.

Grumblevolcano

SCRAPPER392

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@SCAR: Isn't that the point of reboots though, to start fresh as if the previous games never happened? Like how Star Fox Zero is erasing the whole situation with Krystal, Sauria, the events of Assault and Command by retelling Star Fox 64.

I suppose, but the Tomb Raiders on PS1 seemed more "cool". Now she whines in every cutscene. I think they were supposed to make her look like a stronger character in RotT. Not that I'm judging it already, but the reboot was boring a lot of the time, the story was pretty weak, and the characters were dumb. Even the multiplayer wasn't good.

I don't think you mean erase, as much as rearranging what happened beforehand. That's why you can't dual wield hand guns in slow motion until the end of the game. That is what I wanted from the reboot.

Qwest

Ryno

NXOE starts rolling out after 3:01am ET/ 12:01am PT November 12th. Back Compat titles will be playable or start to appear in your collection (for digital purchases) after 3:01pm /12:01 pm (Noon) PT on Thursday
http://majornelson.com/2015/11/11/global-rollout-of-the-new-x...

I'm looking forward to this and I'm hoping this goes smoothly.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Grumblevolcano

Here's a mini guide for the NXOE update:

• Update the console
  • If you get an error code during the update, soft reset (lightly tap the console's xbox button, wait for about a minute and tap again) and it'll continue normally.
  • Once you've completed the update leave the console idle for several hours for you to gain access to your content (digital and physical).

Lucky there's a Nintendo Direct in 6 hours!

Grumblevolcano

SCRAPPER392

Welp, Unity and Windows 10 stuff isn't there. I shouldn't have to make it obvious on why they should have more stuff now, if it is really Windows 10. I still won't be surprised if they start supporting it like that, though, which they should.

I'm downloading all the Xbox 360 games that I have available, except Halo Reach, because I can't find it.

Qwest

shingi_70

Grabbing Gears and Tomb Raider for Christmas.

Finally getting a Wii U come Black Friday from my job. The Smash/Splatoon Bundle for $250 plus $30 in store credit.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SCRAPPER392

I already have the Gears of War games on Xbox 360, which are currently downloading, so I don't give a s*** about the Ultimate version. They're are just cash grabs if you already have them. I'll be playing Mass Effect and the Banjo games for a while, now.

Qwest

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic