Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 11,914

The_Fox

Midnight3DS wrote:

The_Fox wrote:

Midnight3DS wrote:

I'm sorry, this sucks...

The Xbox One doesn't have to be online all the time, but it does have to be online. Not just once in a while—once a day, according to Microsoft vice president Phil Harrison.

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-c...

I will say that this is probably the easiest thing that they could change. If there's enough negative feedback I wouldn't be surprised to see it changed well before the system releases.

But weren't opinions with this concept not made clear through the whole #dealwith it mess? They're trying to force this one way or another.

Who knows? Maybe they're testing this plan (if it is how it will work) to see how the idea will fly in place of an always on approach. There's plenty of time before the console releases.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

DeadAntelopesGo

It's packaged with one I would assume. Both of those are true.

Currently Playing: Splatoon, Need for Speed Rivals

Nintendo Network ID: Deadantelopesgo

Tasuki

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Ok, I've only heard a bit but please tell me I've been missinformed.

• Won't function without Kinect
  • Won't be backwards compatible

I understand the backwards compatible but the kinect thing? Is it gonna come packaged with one?!

Well Kinect is built into it but I believe you can use a controller and/or a Smartglass to control things heck they even demonstrated using a cell phone to navigate around on the Xbox One.

As for backwards compatible they didnt say one way or another but I don't see why not, of course they could be saving that for E3. But honestly I dont see why backwards compatibility is a must have for systems nowadays. I mean dont get me wrong its a nice feature but it isn't a deal breaker. I mean the Nes, SNES, N64, Gamecube didn't have backwards compatibility and no one complained about it or didn't stop the system from selling.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

LzWinky

Tasuki wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Ok, I've only heard a bit but please tell me I've been missinformed.

• Won't function without Kinect
  • Won't be backwards compatible

I understand the backwards compatible but the kinect thing? Is it gonna come packaged with one?!

Well Kinect is built into it but I believe you can use a controller and/or a Smartglass to control things heck they even demonstrated using a cell phone to navigate around on the Xbox One.

As for backwards compatible they didnt say one way or another but I don't see why not, of course they could be saving that for E3. But honestly I dont see why backwards compatibility is a must have for systems nowadays. I mean dont get me wrong its a nice feature but it isn't a deal breaker. I mean the Nes, SNES, N64, Gamecube didn't have backwards compatibility and no one complained about it or didn't stop the system from selling.

It will be a dealbreaker once you hear this news: it apparently is not compatible with XBLA titles either. So Sony and Microsoft dropped the ball on that one...and yet Nintendo has the best backwards compatibility atm with the Wii mode. IRONY!!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Snagrio

Yikes. Based on what I've heard Microsoft seems to be digging itself a deep hole. No backwards compatibility, requires Kinect, a fee is charged when putting a bought game in a different system, and online connection is (practically) mandatory? No thank you.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

zoroarkrules25

Yeah, they messed up big time.

3ds friend code:3007 8328 5371

LzWinky

And you need their permission to play games

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Kyloctopus

I'm looking at what Microsoft did today as a truly positive move on their behalf.
All these ideas are for Microsoft to lure "casual gamers" (for lack of a better word). These ideas we saw today were vital for an all-in-one system Microsoft is saying they want today. But I think this was a day just to let all that stuff out of their chest, so in E3, they can talk about what the gaming community really wants.
They got all that hardware stuff out of the way so when NBC, and CNN talks about the Xbox One has, a casual gamer can be lured. Getting Microsoft plenty of attention for one day. The chaotic E3 is harder to grab attention from the media.
They planned it this late so all those who think of the Xbox One negatively won't have it resonated for too long, because E3 will be solely on what the gamer wants (hence not showing us all their planned IPs) and proves it more with the countdown to E3 that shows up immediately after the conference.
I strongly believe Microsoft made a great move today, and whatever mistakes they made this afternoon will be resolved in June.

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

RR529

Just read Digitally Downloaded's thoughts on the reveal (written by former NL forum member @Bankai), and they weren't impressed at all.

They felt like MS has either forgotten how to appeal gamers, or they only want gaming to be a minor, side aspect of the device.

Pushing all the gaming news to the second half, featuring a very minor amount of gameplay footage, with only a vague throwaway promise of 8 new IP's, shows that gaming simply isn't a priority with the Xbox One (cemented by the fact that their big HALO reveal was for a TV series).

They mentioned that the "all-in-one" direction MS is taking with the device isn't a bad move (it actually makes lots of business sense), but at the same time, gamers are the group that pay attention to console reveals, so not courting them in this kind of presentation was either do to ill planning, or because MS simply doesn't care for them anymore.

Furthermore, they mentioned that they made poor decisions in choosing what "all-in-one" features to show off. The NFL deal is meaningless to anyone outside of the U.S., making it a poor choice to highlight during a global reveal (many other features seem U.S. only as well).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jani-Koblaney

I'll be getting the Xbox One as my "extra" console to compliment my Wii U.. So far I'm excited, the controller looks awesome (unlike the awful PS controller) and I'm sure that it will have awesome exclusives!

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

LzWinky

Now I know what Jim Sterling will be writing about in his next Jimquisition.

banacheck

banacheck wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

banacheck wrote:

It's called Xbox One or a reason AKA Xbox On, but i bet Xbox fans don't care and still buy it. Say what you want about Sony but they don't pull this crap, and have there Hardcore gamers in mind unlike Microsoft.

The consumer in general doesn't care. (not just xbox fans). Sony is leaving it up to pubs meaning it'll probably happen any way on sony systems.

What will happen on Sonys system? Sonys already said what won't and will happen. But as long as your happy hay, you would have to be mad to defend Microsoft after Xbox On

Of course Microsoft loves there fans, i would with Xbox On, sorry i don't understand how restrictions are a good thing no matter who does it...

Edited on by banacheck

banacheck

Electricmastro

Funny, I actually used to call the original/2001 Xbox as "Xbox 1" to differentiate it from the Xbox 360. Looks like people are going to have to use "Xbox 2001/2002" from now on.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Midnight3DS

Just face it, gamers are not their #1 priority. It was clear as a bell. PS4 and Wii-U picked up some extra sales today. Microsoft is going after another demographic.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

shingi_70

Midnight3DS wrote:

Just face it, gamers are not their #1 priority. It was clear as a bell. PS4 and Wii-U picked up some extra sales today. Microsoft is going after another demographic.

HUh dfine gamers. I'm seeing a lot of positive press coming from the regular games and not the hardcore forum fanboys. Guess which is the minority

Also sony is letting publishers choose what to do with DRM which is infinitely more dangerous than having it controlled. .

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

shingi_70

RR529 wrote:

Just read Digitally Downloaded's thoughts on the reveal (written by former NL forum member @Bankai), and they weren't impressed at all.

They felt like MS has either forgotten how to appeal gamers, or they only want gaming to be a minor, side aspect of the device.

Pushing all the gaming news to the second half, featuring a very minor amount of gameplay footage, with only a vague throwaway promise of 8 new IP's, shows that gaming simply isn't a priority with the Xbox One (cemented by the fact that their big HALO reveal was for a TV series).

They mentioned that the "all-in-one" direction MS is taking with the device isn't a bad move (it actually makes lots of business sense), but at the same time, gamers are the group that pay attention to console reveals, so not courting them in this kind of presentation was either do to ill planning, or because MS simply doesn't care for them anymore.

Furthermore, they mentioned that they made poor decisions in choosing what "all-in-one" features to show off. The NFL deal is meaningless to anyone outside of the U.S., making it a poor choice to highlight during a global reveal (many other features seem U.S. only as well).

Or microsoft saw it this ay

Xbox reveal = console and features
E3 = gamers
Build= devs

Microsoft did the same thing in 2005 with the MTV event before E3 or did people get a case of forgetfulness.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Midnight3DS

The forum game of who is saying what doesn't work because I've seen plenty of Xbox loyalists not pleased just the same.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

TysonOfTime

All my Xbox friends, save for one who strangely liked Kinect, are all PISSED.

Everyone on Destructoid is either laughing at or pitying Microsoft.

I had one friend who was super hyped about the reveal... Now he's just making fun of it.
In my opinion , this was a depressingly poor showing, and though I have nothing against Sports games, it's really telling of who your intended audience is when all the games shown off, sans two, were sports games and COD.

I was told online is still stuck behind a Live pay-wall. Is that true? Because if it is, I honestly couldn't care less about this mediabox.

Edited on by TysonOfTime

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic