Forums

Topic: Worth it to get a PS1 and FFVII?

Posts 1 to 16 of 16

the_shpydar

Hey all, i'm considering picking up a PS1 solely to pick up and play FFVII. Never played VII (i stopped the series with VI), but always have wanted to. I don't and have never owned any other Sony systems, and have no intention of picking up a PS3 or PSP at any point (i know FFVII is also available on PSN).

So the question is, should i pick up a PS1 for FFVII? Or is there another console version that i am unaware of that I would be better off playing? Keep in mind i have no problem with PS1-era graphics or any of those kind of earlier-gen issues that might steer some gamers away from the older hardware.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

SwerdMurd

i mean....yeah it'd be worth it, but you can get the PSN version on PSP as well, in addition to the somewhat-lackluster PC version.....you could also just get ePSXe and download a rom version. The fact that you'd need to get a PS1 and a memory card in addition to the game makes me hesitant to recommend it, since PS1s are notorious for falling apart; the little center-disc-grabber thing tends to fragment, and if you're getting an old used one, that problem probably isn't far off.

EDIT: BTW, not trying to disuade purchase of the game....it's masterful.

Edited on by SwerdMurd

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

the_shpydar

@Digiki: Yeah, i figure if i do end up picking one up, i'll eventually start picking up some PS1 games i missed out on as i was huddled over my N64 playing Turok and Blast Corps =).

@Swerd: Hmm, i had forgotten little things like the memory card necessity and such. As for console stability, i know there were a few iterations of the system released, is there any version that is better than others (in terms of the durability of the actual physical hardware, disc drive, etc)?

As for playing FFVII on emu, it's the kind of game i'd rather have an official version for (too many bad experiences losing emu saves, having a bad rom dump, etc). But how are the PSX emus? My experience has been that any emu'd console from the N64/PSX era or beyond has serious framerate and/or sound issues.

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Adam

Might as well get a PS2 or PSP. Both can play the game in some form and can play lots of other games. Just make sure if you get a PS2 that you get a PS1 memory card.

PS2 can play all PS1 games (I think) plus a whole lot of other games. PSP is a living system with a strong, growing library, and it will have over 50 PSOne games to download by the year's end. (PS3 has the same PSOne games for download, though I doubt you'd get it just for FFVII).

I'd recommend a PSP. CDs scratch easily, and with so much content in the game, the original discs you get might be messed up somewhere along the way unbeknownst to the seller.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

the_shpydar

I've already ruled out getting a PS2, and i've considered picking up a PSP, but it hasn't been worth it to me (although there are a few exclusives that occasionally tempt me), and with the Go! coming out, PSN is surely going to be getting heavy support.

My retro-gamer fire has been in full effect in the past year (especially after discovering the HBC for Wii), which is another reason that i'm thinking of picking up a PS1 (even if my irrational Nintendo fanboy-ism often seems like Miyamoto gave me the Clockwork Orange treatment with respect to all Sony gaming systems). I also tend to prefer playing a game on its original system when possible, unless it's a port or remake.

I think it'll come down to whether i can find a reliable PS1 at a decent price, which shouldn't be too hard. I think one of the GameStops near me has some PS1s for sale, and while eBay is always an option, it's nicer to actually physically see what you're getting before paying for it. =)

Are there any issues i should be aware of regarding the different versions released (eg, original vs mini-version)? I'm leaning towards picking up a mini-system for space concerns, but are there any issues with that version of the console (like common errors, etc)?

I

The Shpydarloggery

Popyman

Why not get a PS2? You can find them for $50-ish, and it has TONS of amazing games along with all the amazing PS1 games.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

grenworthshero

irken004 wrote:

as long as all of it is super-cheap, i'd say go for it

Ha! good luck with that! FFVII is like 70 bucks. And yes, it's worth it. Best RPG ever. But seriously, just get a PS2. Then you can get games for both PS and PS2

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

theblackdragon

re: the PSX vs. PS1 -- here's a list detailing the differences between the models. You'd probably be better off going for a PS1, because it's less likely to be worn out, to be honest. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Ramandus

grenworthshero wrote:

irken004 wrote:

as long as all of it is super-cheap, i'd say go for it

Ha! good luck with that! FFVII is like 70 bucks. And yes, it's worth it. Best RPG ever. But seriously, just get a PS2. Then you can get games for both PS and PS2

Isn't the 70 buck version the one with the black bar on the cover? And then there is the "Greatest Hits" version (which has a green bar) which is significantly cheaper. I got the "Greatest Hits" version for about 15 dollars a few years ago on Ebay.

OP: If you want a PS1 fine, but I don't know how much use you'll get out of it besides FFVII. Unless you like Tomb Raider which was popular at the time. A PS2 or PSP or PSPGo might be better.

Edited on by Ramandus

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Wii: 8703 7486 8875 3789
I love PWN3NG NintendoLife members on Tatsunoko :-)

castlehominid99

Just get it for pc

PSN ID: castlehominid99

3DS Friend Code: 0731-4849-6143 | Nintendo Network ID: theironmango

catcher82611

I'd say get a PSP. Its easier to find, and there are more games available for you to get. Also, if you get a PSP, get the game Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, its the prequel to Final Fantasy VII, and its one of the best games on the PSP. You can find at Game Stop for about 20 bucks.

PSN: catcher82611
(I'm not that creative)
3DS FC: 4167-4485-9153

Twitter:

the_shpydar

Thanks everyone for the input. On the $70 FFVII issue, yes i believe that is for the "black bar" edition. Other editions can easily be found on eBay for cheap.

I am considering a PSP further (there are a few other games i'd like to check out for the system), but a little beyond my price range at the moment. There are other PS1 games i'd likely pick up, if only for nostalgia/collecting purposes, To be honest, i just kind of like the idea of having a PS1 as essentially an exclusive "FFVII machine" (kind of how my Original Game Boy had been relegated until recently to solely a "Tetris machine" until i picked up Metroid2 and KidIcarus2).

Anyways, it'll be awhile before i pick anything up regardless, as i'm currently halfway through FF6 and then plan on playing through FFIV (DS) and then FFIV:TAY before i'd pick up FFVII (not to mention finishing DQIV (just about at the end now) and finally picking up DQV).

The Shpydarloggery

ReZon

I'd say go for it or a PS2. And FFVII on eBay will only run you $30-$40 now for the Greatest Hits version. The original version will run you another $10 or so. The prices have dropped some since it was released on the PSN.

Just make sure you're getting a Like New copy, and ask about scratches if the description is vague. You don't want to get to Disc 3 and then run into problems.

It's definitely a great game, and very long. I hope you enjoy it.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom - 0045-4226-761
http://flipnote.hatena.com/518C63F031CA4938@DSi/

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.