Forums

Topic: Worried About Sony?

Posts 181 to 200 of 245

LzWinky

I want Ni no kuni! Perhaps my PS3 will actually get used this year!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

turtlelink

Bankai wrote:

Aviator wrote:

Your list lacks Metal Gear Solid 4 Waltz.

Sorry, I didn't list my merely good games

I.... I.... I'm hurt, Waltz.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

Slapshot

Bankai wrote:

Aviator wrote:

Your list lacks Metal Gear Solid 4 Waltz.

Sorry, I didn't list my merely good games

Screw an arrow to the knee - that went right through my heart!

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Neoproteus

Okay, rather than exchanging walls of text, can you give me a top ten of your favorite PS3 games? Perhaps I just haven't found the right ones.

Nier
Demon's Souls
Atelier Meruru
Legasista
Ni No Kuni
Dragon Age: Origins
RUSE
Birds of Steel
Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legends or DW 7
Warriors Orochi 3
Dead or Alive 5
Bladestorm
Yakuza 4
From Dust
Port Royale 3
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mass Effect Series
Assassin's Creed 3

That's more than ten, but I honestly couldn't narrow it down any further than that.

Not exclusive to the PS3:
Neir
Dragon Age:Origins
RUSE
Birds of Steel
Dynasty Warriors 7
Warriors of Orochi 3
Dead or Alive 5
Bladestorm
Port Royale 3
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed 3

Not released yet:
Ni No Kuni
Yakuza 4

That leaves Demon Souls, Atelier Meruru, and Legastia to prove your point of the superiority of the PS3. Atelier Meruru has a 66 on Metacritic, Legasista a 68. I don't typically judge a game purely by it's review scores either. I went in and read about these games and watched videos of the gameplay and I can tell they're bad. And as for Demon's Souls, it doesn't help that the sequel Dark Souls was multiplatform. Try again...

Here's my list of top 10 PS3 games:
Uncharted 2 (haven't played 3 yet)
Jak and Daxter Collection
God of War Saga
Sly Collection
Ico and Shadow of the Collossus Collection
Heavy Rain
Legend of Dragoon PSN port
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX PSN ports

Notice that out of these, only Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and 3 out of the 5 games in the God of War Saga are new. The rest are ports of PS1 and PS2 games. To be fair, I also enjoyed Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Final Fantasy Dissidia, but those were the only two games I liked on the PSP and I have since sold the system. I am eagerly awaiting Ni No Kuni, the Final Fantasy X remake, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Final Fantasy XIV, and a chance to play Uncharted 3 and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. I have also not tried Metal Gear Solid before, and have a copy I plan on playing in the future of 4. Promising future, but depressing present from my point of view...

Neoproteus

Chrono_Cross

I'll prove his point:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavy Rain
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Uncharted Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Crank A Crack in Time
Demon's Souls
Infamous 1 and 2
Motorstorm Trilogy
Warhawk
Starhawk
MAG
Resistance Trilogy
Journey
Flower
FlOw
Twisted Metal

All exclusives.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

turtlelink

3D Dot Game Heroes!
... But he'll probably say that doesn't count because it's a Zelda rip-off. jk

Oh and Ni no Kuni already came out in Japan. And Yakuza 4 has been out for quite some time now in all regions.

Edited on by turtlelink

TurtleLink's backloggery

CanisWolfred

Ni No Kuni's out. I got 3 people on my Backloggery Multi-tap playing it.

Also, I like Chrono-Cross's...I mean CactusJackson's list a lot.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ThePirateCaptain

If the rumors about Sony getting rid of used game compatibility for the Orbis or PS4 or whatever it'll be called, that would be one of the stupidest moves you could make. I'd imagine not being able to play used games would turn a lot of people off, but Sony isn't stupid enough to actually do that right? Right....?

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

The_Fox

CapnPancakez wrote:

If the rumors about Sony getting rid of used game compatibility for the Orbis or PS4 or whatever it'll be called, that would be one of the stupidest moves you could make. I'd imagine not being able to play used games would turn a lot of people off, but Sony isn't stupid enough to actually do that right? Right....?

Companies do frequently patent ideas that they never end up using. I'm hoping that this is one of those ideas.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

CanisWolfred

Ooh, I have played 10 PS3 games!

1. Tales of Graces f - Not as good as ToV on 360, but that's a tough one to top anyways. It does feature drastically improved combat, however.
2. King of Fighters XIII - It's not exclusive, but it's a fighting game, so you'd have to crazy to play it on the 360, where there's no community, crappy controls, and paid online. It's one of the best fighting games I've played, and I'm glad to play it on a console that doesn't screw me over to play it properly.
3. EX Troopers - I imported this from Play-Asia. It's pretty sweet, a lot like Phantasy Star Online, but focused on gunplay (as you should be doing when playing PSO). Very japanese, yet surprisingly easy to play for foriegners.
4. Valkyria Chronicles - One of the best and most creative SRPGs I've played, bar-none. Good story, characters, and great strategy gameplay that really shakes up the formula without feeling completely foriegn.
5. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction - Not the best in the series, but it's still R&C, and it's still fantastic. Lots of neat little changes to the formula that I really appreciated. Great story, great jokes. Just tons to love about it.
6. Killzone 2 - One of the few FPSes I feel really stands up to Halo in terms of raw funfactor. It's not the best out there, but it does a lot of little things to ensure I'm enjoying it throughout. I've never played it online, though, and I don't intend to ever do so. The campaign's good enough. Played it at a friend's house, though. I should play through it again when I get my PS3 back for the Trophies...
7. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - I was mildly disappointed in this, but that's just because I've seen footage of the infinely superior sequels. I'd be lying if I said it was really good, though. Has great use of terrain to make the levels more interesting, especially for multiple playthroughs. A shooter that makes you think. Who knew?
8. 3D Dot Heroes - Meant to put this higher, but screw it. It's the best Zelda-like I've ever seen, and some of the best parody in gaming. It's got a charming aesthetic, and all the Zelda gameplay mechanics that I wish Nintendo used, and then some mechanics I wish Nintendo would stand up and take note of.
9. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom - Again, a fighting game, so you pretty much have to play it on something like the PS3 without shelling out tons of cash for a fighting stick and a Live subscription. It's fast, frenetic, and pure dumb fun, with tons of fantastic fanservice.
10. Infamous 2 - One of the few Open-world games I enjoyed. It's not quite up there with Crackdown on the 360, but it's close. Great use of powers and story telling to make for an interesting experience capable of holding my otherwise short attention span.

And those are mostly all just the exclusives I've played. I'd sub out the fighting games for Demon's Souls and Atelier Rorona, but I don't want to. I didn't like them.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Neoproteus

turtlelink wrote:

3D Dot Game Heroes!
... But he'll probably say that doesn't count because it's a Zelda rip-off. jk

Oh and Ni no Kuni already came out in Japan. And Yakuza 4 has been out for quite some time now in all regions.

Actually I love 3D Dot Game Heroes and I'm surprised I didn't think of that while creating my top ten list!

Neoproteus

Neoproteus

CanisWolfred wrote:

Ooh, I have played 10 PS3 games!

1. Tales of Graces f - Not as good as ToV on 360, but that's a tough one to top anyways. It does feature drastically improved combat, however.
2. King of Fighters XIII - It's not exclusive, but it's a fighting game, so you'd have to crazy to play it on the 360, where there's no community, crappy controls, and paid online. It's one of the best fighting games I've played, and I'm glad to play it on a console that doesn't screw me over to play it properly.
3. EX Troopers - I imported this from Play-Asia. It's pretty sweet, a lot like Phantasy Star Online, but focused on gunplay (as you should be doing when playing PSO). Very japanese, yet surprisingly easy to play for foriegners.
4. Valkyria Chronicles - One of the best and most creative SRPGs I've played, bar-none. Good story, characters, and great strategy gameplay that really shakes up the formula without feeling completely foriegn.
5. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction - Not the best in the series, but it's still R&C, and it's still fantastic. Lots of neat little changes to the formula that I really appreciated. Great story, great jokes. Just tons to love about it.
6. Killzone 2 - One of the few FPSes I feel really stands up to Halo in terms of raw funfactor. It's not the best out there, but it does a lot of little things to ensure I'm enjoying it throughout. I've never played it online, though, and I don't intend to ever do so. The campaign's good enough. Played it at a friend's house, though. I should play through it again when I get my PS3 back for the Trophies...
7. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - I was mildly disappointed in this, but that's just because I've seen footage of the infinely superior sequels. I'd be lying if I said it was really good, though. Has great use of terrain to make the levels more interesting, especially for multiple playthroughs. A shooter that makes you think. Who knew?
8. 3D Dot Heroes - Meant to put this higher, but screw it. It's the best Zelda-like I've ever seen, and some of the best parody in gaming. It's got a charming aesthetic, and all the Zelda gameplay mechanics that I wish Nintendo used, and then some mechanics I wish Nintendo would stand up and take note of.
9. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom - Again, a fighting game, so you pretty much have to play it on something like the PS3 without shelling out tons of cash for a fighting stick and a Live subscription. It's fast, frenetic, and pure dumb fun, with tons of fantastic fanservice.
10. Infamous 2 - One of the few Open-world games I enjoyed. It's not quite up there with Crackdown on the 360, but it's close. Great use of powers and story telling to make for an interesting experience capable of holding my otherwise short attention span.

And those are mostly all just the exclusives I've played. I'd sub out the fighting games for Demon's Souls and Atelier Rorona, but I don't want to. I didn't like them.

Chrono_Cross wrote:

I'll prove his point:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavy Rain
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Uncharted Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Crank A Crack in Time
Demon's Souls
Infamous 1 and 2
Motorstorm Trilogy
Warhawk
Starhawk
MAG
Resistance Trilogy
Journey
Flower
FlOw
Twisted Metal

All exclusives.

Now THAT'S more like it! That's the kind of quality I was talking about! None of these are really favorites of mine personally, but I understand quality when I see it. You have to admit it took them a little too long to get here though, and overall I think the PS3 was a bit of a disappointment compared to the PS2. I have faith that the PS4 will be better, but only if they embrace their legacy and keep the series going that were successful in the past. I still don't think the PS4 will have a whole lot more power, but then again it's not power that matters, and Sony's first party development is growing and getting better. I still think the Vita is dead and should just stop production though...

Neoproteus

CanisWolfred

If they stopped producing The Vita, Sony's reputation would go out the window. They have to keep it going for at least 3 more years. Otherwise no one will buy anything from them again. The PS3 had low numbers at the beginning, but look where it is now. It's outsold the 360 worldwide. Never forget that.

Also, you're discounting multiplatforms. Never do that. If the PS3 can put out reliably capable, even at times superior versions of games, that definitely counts in its favor.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

Neoproteus wrote:

Okay, rather than exchanging walls of text, can you give me a top ten of your favorite PS3 games? Perhaps I just haven't found the right ones.

Nier
Demon's Souls
Atelier Meruru
Legasista
Ni No Kuni
Dragon Age: Origins
RUSE
Birds of Steel
Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legends or DW 7
Warriors Orochi 3
Dead or Alive 5
Bladestorm
Yakuza 4
From Dust
Port Royale 3
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mass Effect Series
Assassin's Creed 3

That's more than ten, but I honestly couldn't narrow it down any further than that.

Not exclusive to the PS3:
Neir
Dragon Age:Origins
RUSE
Birds of Steel
Dynasty Warriors 7
Warriors of Orochi 3
Dead or Alive 5
Bladestorm
Port Royale 3
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed 3

Not released yet:
Ni No Kuni
Yakuza 4

That leaves Demon Souls, Atelier Meruru, and Legastia to prove your point of the superiority of the PS3. Atelier Meruru has a 66 on Metacritic, Legasista a 68. I don't typically judge a game purely by it's review scores either. I went in and read about these games and watched videos of the gameplay and I can tell they're bad. And as for Demon's Souls, it doesn't help that the sequel Dark Souls was multiplatform. Try again...

Here's my list of top 10 PS3 games:
Uncharted 2 (haven't played 3 yet)
Jak and Daxter Collection
God of War Saga
Sly Collection
Ico and Shadow of the Collossus Collection
Heavy Rain
Legend of Dragoon PSN port
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX PSN ports

Notice that out of these, only Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and 3 out of the 5 games in the God of War Saga are new. The rest are ports of PS1 and PS2 games. To be fair, I also enjoyed Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Final Fantasy Dissidia, but those were the only two games I liked on the PSP and I have since sold the system. I am eagerly awaiting Ni No Kuni, the Final Fantasy X remake, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Final Fantasy XIV, and a chance to play Uncharted 3 and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. I have also not tried Metal Gear Solid before, and have a copy I plan on playing in the future of 4. Promising future, but depressing present from my point of view...

I'm sorry but when did this become about exclusives?

You asked for games that you can play on the PS3. Not being exclusive doesn't turn a game bad. Let me remind you that your argument here is that the PS3 hasn't got many good games to play on it. Not that it hasn't got exclusives (which is completely wrong anyway, but not the topic of discussion here).

And for the record, those 'bad' games are not actually bad. They fall into that category of niche titles where critics simply don't understand that not every game is made to appeal to everyone. For fans of the otaku JRPG genre, Atelier and Legasista are both very good games.

Slapshot

Let me just clear this up: Demon's Souls isn't only one of the best games on the PS3 - it's one of the best damn games ever developed. You can argue you points into the wall and back again a thousand times if you want - the online community for the game is still just as strong today as it ever was, which is why the servers continue to stay online. It's not a perfect title, but it's one of the very few games that rewards perseverance and determination. It also is a game that has a high degree of difficulty, yet it managed to find critical mainstream success without implementing some sort of 'training wheels' for the lesser skilled gamers.

Few games/series have ever pulled off what From Software did with Demon's Souls. Itagaki did a fantastic job with the Ninja Gaiden series, but sadly it ended up like this.

Chrono_Cross

Neoproteus wrote:

You have to admit it took them a little too long to get here though,

No console has 30+ AAA titles within two years after launch. By the time 2010 arrived, PlayStation 3 had more must have exclusives than Wii and 360 combined.

and overall I think the PS3 was a bit of a disappointment compared to the PS2.

It was to you. In reality, it was just as successful as Microsoft's Xbox 360. If not more.

I still think the Vita is dead and should just stop production though...

The 3DS should have within its first year, too.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Slapshot

I still think the Vita is dead and should just stop production though...

The 3DS should have within its first year, too.

Exactly!

I think Vita will do the same thing that the PSP did before it - slowly sell over the years, which is sad considering how great the hardware (and software) on the system is.

@Neoproteus I've been seeing a lot of this "[insert game,brand or console] should just cease to exist," here at Nintendo Life. Firstly, if you actually care about the gaming industry - you would never utter/type these words at all. Competition is what drives not only the gaming industry, but every single industry around the globe.

Secondly, do you realise that the Wii U isn't doing to hot right now? Do you realise that it's one of the most 'confusing' dedicated home consoles to land on the market? Do you realise that one of Nintendo's very own Wii U commercials was banned in the UK because it was ruled to be falsely advertising that it could play games independent from a television (not all Wii U titles utilise this feature)? Do you realise that consumers still think that the Wii U is an add-on for the Wii? Should Nintendo just throw in the towel and give up? Heck no!

If you actually know a thing or two about the gaming industry, you would realise that the entire dedicated home/portable gaming console market is in decline. This goes for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft - none of them are seeing an upward increase in sales/profits over previous years. If you ever get you 'wish' for one of these companies to stop existing - know that it'll slap you right back in your face when the one you prefer goes down right along with them.

Lastly and I say this as a person piece of advice - grow up.

Edited on by Slapshot

turtlelink

I never understood all the Vita hate. Why would they want it to cease to exist? I love the Vita! D:

TurtleLink's backloggery

CanisWolfred

turtlelink wrote:

I never understood all the Vita hate. Why would they want it to cease to exist? I love the Vita! D:

Because it actually has a chance of competing with the 3DS. Though I don't see why that should matter. Competition is usually a good thing.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.