Forums

Topic: Worried About Sony?

Posts 161 to 180 of 245

Drobotic

Sony has no game when it comes to the Vita.I don't care what they dish out."We are Nintendo.You cannot beat us!"

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

Aviator

I think they do.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Yes. I like to spend my time worrying about one big company beating another because I know they'd do the same for me! Reggie is always worrying about me and if someone is going to best me at something. I thought I'd return in kind by letting them waste my time too.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Neoproteus

Bankai wrote:

2) Because Sony has lost 2/5 of it's net worth in the last ten years because of the PS3 and many models of televisions poor sales. They will sell at a profit, which means at a $300 price tag, which is what will sell as dictated by this market, it will not be all that much more powerful than a PS3.

You seem to be making the common mistake that selling hardware at a loss = an unprofitable gaming division.

It's entirely possible to sell hardware at a loss and have a very profitable gaming division.

I would suggest that you learn about the business side of the IT manufacturing industry before trying to commentate about it but... well, this is the Internet. Everyone's an expert. Even if they don't understand how loss leading works.

3) Good lord man! I don't even have 10 games for my PS3 because most of them I rented or traded in because I didn't like them. What could you possibly have gotten?! Are there even 200 games TOTAL for the PS3? Did you download the entire playstation store? Purchase a couple gamestop locations? Leave some for the rest of the PS3 fans, they want some games too!

I have around 75 JRPGs alone. Yes, I'm probably only missing one or two in that specific genre, but the PS3 has a longer and deeper game library than any other console I've ever come across.

I actually checked my PSN accound. 397 downloadable pieces of content. That includes DLC, Avatars, Vita and PSP games, but I've also got around 50 discs. The PS3 has a M A S S I V E library.

And no, Soul Sacrifice does not warrant buying a Vita all on it's own.

People said the same about Monster Hunter. You're talking about one of the most popular dudes in Japan's games industry making an exclusive for the Vita.

Once the Vita picks up in Japan (And it almost certainly will) you watch as the good games start flying in.

I don't have to BE an expert to listen to them. The PS3 was partially to blame for the 2/5 loss of Sony's net worth. It is possible to sell hardware at a loss and still be profitable, but that's not what Sony was doing with the PS3. Some loss is acceptable. $400 per console at launch is a little more difficult to make up. How much does Sony make per game sold? $40 for publishing themselves? And from third party games? Not enough to make up for that $400. Assuming that Sony gets the full $60 per game as profit though, which it doesn't, they'd still have to sell 7 games per console sold during that launch window. It's not that bad anymore obviously, but they are still losing money for every PS3 sold, and to top it off pretty much everyone who wants a PS3 probably has one by now.

And good for you on your... collection. I think it's safe to say you nowhere near represent the average gamer or even the average playstation fan. I have all three major consoles and a gaming PC. I find myself mainly playing everything but the PS3. Maybe PS3 has quantity, but certainly not quality, which is why I mentioned God of War and Uncharted, two of the highest quality game franchises on the system, which still don't generate as much hype as Jak and Daxter and Legend of Dragoon would.

Neoproteus

Bankai

Actually, the PlayStation division has been Sony's best performing segment. It even turned a profit as the entire company hit its worst patch in 2011: http://au.gamespot.com/news/sony-posts-317-billion-loss-plays...

Sony doesn't sell the PS3 or Vita at a $400 loss. I don't know where you pulled that number from.

A product also doesn't have to turn a profit instantly to become a long term profitable investment for a company. Most new products are initially loss leading exercises, with the expectation that one or two years down the track they draw close to breakeven or profit. Only the most nervous investors expect a console to be profitable in its first year.

Sony might be struggling financially, but that doesn't mean it needs to adopt reactionary and short-sighted business practices either. Thankfully it looks like Sony is wise enough to realise that too. It acquired Gaikai even as it announced further negative financial results. It was good to see.

And good for you on your... collection. I think it's safe to say you nowhere near represent the average gamer or even the average playstation fan. I have all three major consoles and a gaming PC. I find myself mainly playing everything but the PS3. Maybe PS3 has quantity, but certainly not quality, which is why I mentioned God of War and Uncharted, two of the highest quality game franchises on the system, which still don't generate as much hype as Jak and Daxter and Legend of Dragoon would.

Of course I don't represent the average gamer. I don't have to buy 90 per cent of the stuff I end up with.

Where I DO represent a sizable portion of gamers is in the fact that I have all the consoles, and even considering the Wii U is the fresh new toy, I still find myself playing the PS3 more. There is a large, loyal fanbase out there with PS3s, and to suggest they're fans without having quality and quantity of games to play is ludicrous.

You don't like the PS3. Don't pretend that your opinion on it is somehow objective, because it isn't. Objectively the PS3 offers quality and quantity.

CanisWolfred

Neoproteus wrote:

Maybe PS3 has quantity, but certainly not quality, which is why I mentioned God of War and Uncharted, two of the highest quality game franchises on the system, which still don't generate as much hype as Jak and Daxter and Legend of Dragoon would.

I see somebody's living in Fairytale land. Both God of War III and Uncharted III generated an enormous amount of hype, and each outsold Jak & Daxter and Legend of Dragoon combined.

And don't kid yourself into thinking J&D and LoD are relevant enough to get exceed those sales if they got sequels now. Even Sly 4 has failed to generate a lot of hype, as unfortunate as that sounds.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Jak and Daxter is the decently successful game series that's been ignored since the Ps2 era (though I think a new game was announced forever ago) that's overshadowed by Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper.

Legend of Dragoon is a game I know exists. Presumably a spinoff of that Saturn(?) game.

God of War and Uncharted are some of the more popular series of the past decade.

This would be like if in that Earthbound thread instead of arguing about the series' potential for a Xenoblade-like release, I assumed it would be more successful than Donkey Kong Country Returns could ever hope to be.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chrono_Cross

Just like what we were discussing in that thread, Earthbound would never sell millions overseas let alone in Japan. You should learn from what you read and accept the reality of things.

It's sort of like the Jak and Daxter thing. Sony doesn't want Naughty Dog to step back and develop Jak and Daxter games anymore. This is due to the fact that the audience for that franchise is miniscule and most of them have migrated to bigger and better 3D platformers.

That, and Naughty Dog wants to make other games such as The Last of Us and the recent Uncharted brigade.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

CanisWolfred

CactusJackson wrote:

Just like what we were discussing in that thread, Earthbound would never sell millions overseas let alone in Japan. You should learn from what you read and accept the reality of things.

It's sort of like the Jak and Daxter thing. Sony doesn't want Naughty Dog to step back and develop Jak and Daxter games anymore. This is due to the fact that the audience for that franchise is miniscule and most of them have migrated to bigger and better 3D platformers.

That, and Naughty Dog wants to make other games such as The Last of Us and the recent Uncharted brigade.

No one's saying Earthbound would. Nor are we saying it needs to.

Neoputus was saying a new J & D would, though, which yeah, isn't gonna happen. Not that I don't want it to, but I've accepted the reality of the situation.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

CanisWolfred wrote:

I never said you or anyone in this topic (aside from kk), were saying anything.

Please stop assuming.

Just for you.

CanisWolfred

CactusJackson wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I never said you or anyone in this topic (aside from kk), were saying anything.

Please stop assuming.

I'll stop assuming the day I become full werewolf and lose all of my human nature. Because, seriously...it's human nature. You're asking me to remove a basic instinct, essentially.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Ok, I need some closure. Why do niche game, limited releases for a hypothetical remake/whatever suddenly not work? Why? I just need an answer. An actual answer. Just one definitive answer. And why is it so desperately true that you are definitively right? Because I can tell you, it's because NOA doesn't want to get sued. That's the reason. Because getting sued is bad. Not profit. Getting sued.

also I said it didn't need to sell millions, stop assuming

also start reading since you didn't read that part

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chrono_Cross

CanisWolfred wrote:

Because, seriously...it's human nature. You're asking me to remove a basic instinct, essentially.

I thought it was common sense when someone doesn't include your name, ethnicity, social class or religious beliefs that they are, in fact, not talking directly to you. In other words, I never said "you guys in this topic".

kkslider5552000 wrote:

also I said it didn't need to sell millions, stop assuming

When no one in your neighborhood is buying the lemonade you made by scratch at your lemonade stand, you stop making it due to the lack of profit.

Nintendo wants to make video games that sell millions such as Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and so on and so forth. Earthbound will not sell even a fraction of, say, Super Mario Galaxy's sales. Which is unnecessary work for Nintendo when it could be using those resources for something worthwhile.

Do you get it? Do you get it now?

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

Neoproteus

Bankai wrote:

Sony doesn't sell the PS3 or Vita at a $400 loss. I don't know where you pulled that number from.

It doesn't anymore. It cost $1000 to produce at launch and sold for $599.

I think it's safe to say you nowhere near represent the average gamer or even the average playstation fan. I have all three major consoles and a gaming PC. I find myself mainly playing everything but the PS3. Maybe PS3 has quantity, but certainly not quality, which is why I mentioned God of War and Uncharted, two of the highest quality game franchises on the system, which still don't generate as much hype as Jak and Daxter and Legend of Dragoon would.

Of course I don't represent the average gamer. I don't have to buy 90 per cent of the stuff I end up with.

Where I DO represent a sizable portion of gamers is in the fact that I have all the consoles, and even considering the Wii U is the fresh new toy, I still find myself playing the PS3 more. There is a large, loyal fanbase out there with PS3s, and to suggest they're fans without having quality and quantity of games to play is ludicrous.

You don't like the PS3. Don't pretend that your opinion on it is somehow objective, because it isn't. Objectively the PS3 offers quality and quantity.

Okay, rather than exchanging walls of text, can you give me a top ten of your favorite PS3 games? Perhaps I just haven't found the right ones.

Neoproteus

CanisWolfred

I'd list mine, but I don't think I've even played 10 PS3 games, despite owning 30. I intend to change that once I get mine back from Sony.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Knux

Top ten PS3 games? More like a hundred.

Knux

Bankai

Neoproteus wrote:

Bankai wrote:

It doesn't anymore. It cost $1000 to produce at launch and sold for $599.

I think it's safe to say you nowhere near represent the average gamer or even the average playstation fan. I have all three major consoles and a gaming PC. I find myself mainly playing everything but the PS3. Maybe PS3 has quantity, but certainly not quality, which is why I mentioned God of War and Uncharted, two of the highest quality game franchises on the system, which still don't generate as much hype as Jak and Daxter and Legend of Dragoon would.

Okay, rather than exchanging walls of text, can you give me a top ten of your favorite PS3 games? Perhaps I just haven't found the right ones.

Nier
Demon's Souls
Atelier Meruru
Legasista
Ni No Kuni
Dragon Age: Origins
RUSE
Birds of Steel
Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legends or DW 7
Warriors Orochi 3
Dead or Alive 5
Bladestorm
Yakuza 4
From Dust
Port Royale 3
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mass Effect Series
Assassin's Creed 3

That's more than ten, but I honestly couldn't narrow it down any further than that.

Aviator

Your list lacks Metal Gear Solid 4 Waltz.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.