Forums

Topic: Wikipad to launch Halloween at Gamestop

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

Tasuki

Not sure if anyone here as known about or heard this but this is the first time I am hearing about it.

Apparently a new tablet with an attachable control pad called the Wikipad will be coming out this Halloween at Gamestop. It will be able to support games downloaded from Playstation Mobile, Google Play and few other platforms and will be able to stream games from the Gaikai cloud gaming company owned by Sony. Below is the link to the rest of the article.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/500-gamepad-equipped-tablet-laun...

So what are your thoughts and has anyone heard of this before now?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Lan

Terrible name. Also overpriced. I think they're marketing it as a gaming device, and that's way too much for a gaming device.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

Tasuki

Lan wrote:

Terrible name. Also overpriced. I think they're marketing it as a gaming device, and that's way too much for a gaming device.

At first when I heard that name I though it was something for Wikipedia lol. And yes I agree that the price does seem steep but I dont know isn't around the price of an iPad or a similar tablet?

My Backlog

Lan

Tasuki wrote:

Lan wrote:

At first when I heard that name I though it was something for Wikipedia lol. And yes I agree that the price does seem steep but I dont know isn't around the price of an iPad or a similar tablet?

yeah but from the little i've seen it seems they're marketing it as a gaming device, not a tablet, so consumers will probably get confused, thinking the new game boy costs 500 bucks.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

RancidVomit86

Meh I'm not too big on the tablet bandwagoin

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

theblackdragon

is it from the people at Wikipedia somehow? IDK how well that name's gonna go over...

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Magi

Geeze, and people crab about the cost of the Vita. (which I would still take over this, btw)

Magi

Birdman

theblackdragon wrote:

is it from the people at Wikipedia somehow? IDK how well that name's gonna go over...

They (Wikipedia) aren't associated with Wikileaks, so I'd just assume that when the device is important enough for its own Wikipedia page the Wikipedia people will put a note at the top of the page saying they're not associated with the tablet like they do with Wikileaks.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

StarBoy91

@Tasuki - a Wiki is a (website) page (Wikipedia being a good example) that is made by one person, but can be edited, changed, and updated by anyone (and when I say "anyone", I do mean "anyone", so long as they have an account for the website in question)

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Tasuki

@RetroLuma91: AH ok thanks so does that mean this things games can be edited by anyone? I dont see how the name Wiki would fit here.

My Backlog

Void

Am I the only person who thought this was created by the guy who made Wikipedia and and that it was for browsing Wikipedia?
@Birdman & @Tasuki, well. I feel less stupid now.

Edited on by Void

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

Birdman

@Tasuki - I don't think the games/apps can be edited by everyone, but considering it's got PS Mobile, Google Play, Gaikai and "other forthcoming platforms," it's aiming to be a gamer's tablet that has access to every mobile app market. So, the wiki isn't meant to reference its open content nature, but more its ability to provide everything from the app market.

@Void - Nope, I did too. It may flop just because consumers don't understand it's not just for browsing Wikipedia. Then again, it's (AFAIK) being sold exclusively at Gamestop, so their store employees may be able to give everyone who walks in a decent pitch for it.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

Tasuki

Birdman wrote:

@Tasuki - I don't think the games/apps can be edited by everyone, but considering it's got PS Mobile, Google Play, Gaikai and "other forthcoming platforms," it's aiming to be a gamer's tablet that has access to every mobile app market. So, the wiki isn't meant to reference its open content nature, but more its ability to provide everything from the app market.

@Void - Nope, I did too. It may flop just because consumers don't understand it's not just for browsing Wikipedia. Then again, it's (AFAIK) being sold exclusively at Gamestop, so their store employees may be able to give everyone who walks in a decent pitch for it.

@Void: Nope I thought it was for browsing Wikipedia too, until I clicked on the link and read what is was.

@Birdman: Gamestop employees give a decent pitch, thats the funniest thing I ever heard.

My Backlog

sugarpixel

First impression: It looks really ugly. What are people going to think of you if they see you using this monstrosity? Maybe if you took off the gamepad it would look okay; but that defeats the purpose. This was not thought out very well by whoever made this. The name is pretty weird, too.

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

Tasuki

So, today was the day that this thing was suppose to launch. Anyone been to a Gamestop to see if this was true or was it some kind of hoax?

My Backlog

Birdman

Was in a GS on Sunday to pick up Virtue's Last Reward, and I saw no trace of it (though I will admit I wasn't really looking for it). Not even the employees seemed to care about it, they were more interested in signing me up for the Wii U wait list...

Edit: Just checked the GS website, and it's listed as "Unavailable", so your guess is as good as mine.

Edited on by Birdman

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

Void

I never go to gamestop, so I wouldn't know, but it seems real enough.

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.