Forums

Topic: Why the PlayStation 3 is better than the Xbox 360.

Posts 261 to 280 of 340

Adam

We aren't talking about most discussion boards. We are talking about this one.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Stuffgamer1

Yes, and on this board, there seems to be a higher number of people with extensive experience with both consoles than on most. That seems to include Blackbuster, in a way. He DOES have a 360, from the sound of things, just like I do. And just like me, it's his least favorite console of this generation. Most people I know who spent a lot of time with both consoles turn out to prefer the PS3, even ones who wanted nothing to do with it before a specific exclusive game they just HAD to have came out.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Bahamut_ZERO

It might not have been 0.3%, it might be 3%. But I know it sure isn't as high as 15%! Anyway, the point I'm trying to make it that RROD isn't serious issue like it was a launch (33% was a bit much ).

Bahamut_ZERO

clicketyclick

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

A quick search revealed that the new boards are still at about 16 or 17% failure rate for the 360. That's bad.

You have to be careful looking at the dates of these articles. The 16% failure rate was for the older models. The current version of the motherboard is called Jasper and only started being distributed last August. The current failure rate is lower than the failure rate of models with past chipsets.

The+Fox wrote:

No, it's actually pretty valid. Have you actually seen most discussion boards that have had this argument break out? Sure, some people have deeper reasons but a good chunk of gamers that have one system tend to develop a case of Us vs. Them.

No, he's actually pretty correct. A dismissive generalisation is a dismissive generalisation, regardless of whether or not you see people behaving as described. It's a logical fallacy to undermine your opponents' arguments by attributing to them motives that make them out to be biased or weak-minded. Not to mention, it's rather insulting.

Now Playing: Bioshock

clicketyclick

Well, it might count site updates. If you could link the article, then we'd all know for certain. hinthint

emiru69

There is no console wars because Nintendo is the winner of this generation. After saying that the Wii remote was "not their market" both companies Sony and Microsoft are now preparing their own version (kind of too little to late). Wii last year sold more than 360 and ps3 together. This year DS is selling more than the 360, ps3, ps2 and psp together. In Japan DSi/DS is selling 5 times more than the second in line (psp) and breaking records with 3.2 millions of Dragon Quest IX. In the USA DSi/DS sales are 766.000 just on June. Monster Hunter has sold 1 million units just with the reservations. I have a ps2, ps3, psp, 360, and DSi and I have good games for all this consoles but face it, people don't care that much about resolutions and frames per second. I enjoy playing Wipeout HD at 1080 and 60 frames but I have the same amount of fun or even more playing Mario Kart. I'm really sick of that kind of pretentious attitude of "pro gamer" or "hardcore gamer". I've been playing Nintendo games for over 2 decades and I'm not going to receive lessons from some teenager prick that has 100 hours on Halo. Did you win money on professional tournaments? No? Then you are not a "pro gamer" and you are not better than everybody else.

There is no fight for the 1st place, it just curiosity for who ends 2nd.

Edited on by emiru69

emiru69

Adam

No one is challenging sales numbers. We can compare numbers as well as anyone. The discussion was about which was better between PS3 and 360, not which sold better, and the Wii is not part of the primary discussion at all except as an occasional point of reference.

And I say "discussion was" because the thread has somehow devolved into a boring discussion on the merits of the previous discussion, rather than just continuing the primary discussion itself.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Supermarioman

To everyone who says RROD is not a problem, every unit will eventually fail, it's inevitable, it really is, Microsoft even said that all units, even new ones, with in 5 years is most likely get RROD. They set aside $1 Billion last year for RROD and it ran out in June I think and its not slowing down they said.

Supermarioman

clicketyclick

@emiru69
Who said the console war is over who'll be in first place in units sold by the end of this current 7th generation?

Edited on by clicketyclick

Stuffgamer1

I had some trouble finding anything that seems concrete, but here's what I've got:
Read the post by David M. Liik Jr.
Article says Jasper "is said to have reduced the failure...
If the Jasper chipset really does all that, then those A-holes at Microsoft sent me old hardware when my system when RRoD this February, because I do NOT have those added advantages over my previous console.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Supermarioman

You remember the holiday 2008 bundles that came with Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones? They came with 2006 modles!

Supermarioman

Stuffgamer1

Yes, and I read one claim that the new Elite bundles with Halo 3 and Fable 2 in them are earlier models as well! What a dirty trick, enticing people to buy their inferior hardware with free games!

clicketyclick

Obviously I can't exactly take Junior's word on it since he could make up numbers just as easily as we can make up this: The new 360 has a failure rate of 0.3%.

They very well might have not given you a Jasper replacement. They tend to stick Opus chipsets in consoles when you send them in for repairs, or if they replaced it outright, you probably got a Falcon. There is a way to tell which chipset you have.

emiru69

clicketyclick wrote:

@emiru69
Who said the console war is over who'll be in first place in units sold by the end of this current 7th generation?

Nobody is going to reach the total sales that Nintendo already has (Wii, DSi/DS). I'm not trying to defend Nintendo, I'm just tired of listening Microsoft and Sony saying things like "Wii has another market", it sounds to me like a bad looser attitude.

About Microsoft vs. Sony. I had both and I have to say there are several reason why I prefer the ps3.
1)I'm sick of the technical problems that the 360 has. is a good console but It just not a really solid product. I have a ps3 from day 1 and It never had any single problem.
2)Yeah the ps3 it's not cheap but in long term, I expended more money in Microsoft (Wi-fi Adapter, HDMI cable, Hard-drive....)
3)This year ps3 has an amazing quantity of exclusive games first party and third party. Microsoft has long term exclusives but 90% of them are for 2010. Also, I think Microsoft is burning Halo way too much: Halo Wars, Halo ODST, Halo Reach, the animation. Microsoft should learn from Nintendo, you need to give a rest to the big franchises. If a new Zelda came every year, it would not have that much expectation.
4)The free online from Sony is getting better and better, while Microsoft have a good options (like Netflix) they are not free, meaning you have to pay membership.

Edited on by emiru69

emiru69

clicketyclick

emiru69 wrote:

Nobody is going to reach the total sales that Nintendo already has. I'm not trying to defend Nintendo, I'm just tired of listening Microsoft and Sony saying things like "Wii has another market", it sounds to me like a bad looser attitude.

Well, it's just that this is merely the 7th generation. This is one battle in a much larger war that's been going on for years and years. It's been going on as long as I can remember and since before I was born. My whole life, all I've known is war. **strokes beard** Nintendo "winning" this battle by convincing more consumer to buy their product does not mean they won't lose the next battle horribly.

And they do have a point with the "different market" thing, don't you think? I mean, Ninty's even said it themselves. It's not a sore loser excuse; it's a business strategy.

emiru69

clicketyclick wrote:

emiru69 wrote:

Nobody is going to reach the total sales that Nintendo already has. I'm not trying to defend Nintendo, I'm just tired of listening Microsoft and Sony saying things like "Wii has another market", it sounds to me like a bad looser attitude.

Well, it's just that this is merely the 7th generation. This is one battle in a much larger war that's been going on for years and years. It's been going on as long as I can remember and since before I was born. My whole life, all I've known is war. **strokes beard** Nintendo "winning" this battle by convincing more consumer to buy their product does not mean they won't lose the next battle horribly.

And they do have a point with the "different market" thing, don't you think? I mean, Ninty's even said it themselves. It's not a sore loser excuse; it's a business strategy.

I understand your point and I agreed until I saw project Natal on the last E3. Microsoft was saying all the time "we have another market" and what they showed?
1) A dude talking with a 10 years old kid.
2) A dude painting an elephant.
3) A girl hitting balls in the air like the mini-game of the Wii-Fit
4) A kid playing Gozdilla.
MMMmm really??? Meaning all that pretentious attitude about how 360 was for "hardcore gamers" and they showed me that?? The best thing was listening the fanboys talking about Natal like it was the best thing that happened to humanity. When the "games for kids" were for another console were not your market, when the "games for kids" are for your console they suddenly become "the future"?? Someone can called marketing strategy, I called been hypocritical.

Edited on by emiru69

emiru69

clicketyclick

@emiru69
LOL yes. But! What they're saying is that Nintendo currently has that market and they're going to try to steal it.

Stuffgamer1

@clicketyclick: Opus chip sets? How old is THAT? And thanks for telling me there's a way to find out what set I have without saying what that way IS!

Oh, and they replaced the chips in my console this time. I know because it has the same serial number and manufacture date on the casing. The first time my Elite went RRoD, they just replaced it. No idea why they didn't just do that again.

Bahamut_ZERO

Wait, the 2008 budles were actually 2006 Xbox's!!!! Oh shit, I didn't buy the extended warranty because my failure rate was supposed to be below 3%!! It's actually 15%!

head explodes

DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!!!!!

I will no longer argue pro-360! I was lied to!

Bahamut_ZERO

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.